Asian Food in Main Dining Room

Chelly

What specifically are you looking for? I don't recall ever having Asian food on the regular dining room menu. Generally if it isn't on the menu, they can't supply it unless it's the standard steak, baked potato, etc. When the kitchen is cooking for 2,000 people, it's difficult to accommodate individual requests unless it's for allergies or religious reasons, etc., and then they are notified in advance.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

There are indonesian choices on some evenings, or salmon in a soy ginger glaze, etc where there are asian notes, but if you're thinking more along the lines of like a japanese/chinese/etc restaurant's selections, I don't believe so... Unless you opt for Tamarind on Eurodam which will have more upscale asian cuisine

What specifically are you looking for? I don't recall ever having Asian food on the regular dining room menu. Generally if it isn't on the menu, they can't supply it unless it's the standard steak, baked potato, etc. When the kitchen is cooking for 2,000 people, it's difficult to accommodate individual requests unless it's for allergies or religious reasons, etc., and then they are notified in advance.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

In addition to cooking for the 2,000 passengers, the kitchen also prepares some Filipino and Indonesian dishes for its nearly 1,000 member crew, most of whom hail from the Philippines, Indonesia and Korea. I believe I read somewhere that passengers could order these meals.

I believe I read somewhere that passengers could order these meals.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if you asked a day in advance. And, I don't think I've been on a HAL cruise yet where they didn't have Nasi Goreng one night. The stewards love it if you ask for some sambal to put on it! :) They'll bring out a big jar, and kinda watch how much you use, and watch your face when you take a bite. :D

There is a crew galley that prepares Indonesian and Philipino meals for the crew in the crew cafeteria...passengers do not have access to these meals.

The only Asian meals on the main passenger menus are what are referred to as "fusion cooking"....in other words North American food with an Asian twist...ie: using soy sauce....ginger...various chillies...noodles....etc.

NCL has tepanyaki cooking on some of its ships....and some lines come close to the "real thing" with sushi.Carnival ships also have a dedicated Asian cooking station on all...or most ...of its ship's Lidos.

Do not expect Asian food in the main dining room or Lido on HAL ships. The new Tamarind may be the exception to this on HAL ships....but it is not main dining room.

In addition to cooking for the 2,000 passengers, the kitchen also prepares some Filipino and Indonesian dishes for its nearly 1,000 member crew, most of whom hail from the Philippines, Indonesia and Korea. I believe I read somewhere that passengers could order these meals.

Korea? Now there's a new one!;) The Indonesian and Filipino crew do have their own chefs and they are used to a completely different menu than us westerners. I have never heard of regular pax being able to order from the crew menu

We don't go to Lido for dinner so I don't know but at lunch, there is Asian stir fry daily. Perhaps it is offered for dinner as well.

I've never seen Asian food (not specifically on the menu) served in the Dining Room. As others have said, crew have their own galley and chefs and their meals are not offered to guests.

I have heard (and we have done it couple of time) of people asking the day before for a certain item that they would like to have at dinner the next night. But have never heard of anyone asking for meals like the crew eat.

What did you special order, KK?

Was it good? :D

On the Vista ships in the Lido at lunch they have Asian soups, sushi, rice and an entree--sesame chicken or beef and broccoli. Probably not on the EUrodam because of the Tamarind .Now we did have a gentleman from Ohio, a Mariner, ask to be served catfish with a special sauce on the next Friday. He told this to the headwaiter and told them HAL had the recipe for the sauce. We all guffawed but sure enough he and his wife were served this dish that was never on the menu of any of the cruises I was on.

Rijsttafel! Just had it last thursday! Enak sekali/delicious!:)

We are taking our first cruise in September to Alaska. I have been reading about Nasi Goreng and Rijsttafel in several posts. Is it possible to request this one night in advance during our cruise? It sounds like something I would enjoy. Also if I could request some Chicken or Pork Adobo and Pancit, along with fried banana fritters for dessert, I would be in seventh heaven.

We are taking our first cruise in September to Alaska. I have been reading about Nasi Goreng and Rijsttafel in several posts. Is it possible to request this one night in advance during our cruise? It sounds like something I would enjoy. Also if I could request some Chicken or Pork Adobo and Pancit, along with fried banana fritters for dessert, I would be in seventh heaven.

Sure, doesn't hurt to ask! What you need to do is get a hold of the asst.dining room manager who has responsibility over your section (the gents in the dark blue or white uniforms, officers-type - They will usually introduce themselves to you on the first or second night). Ask him what you are looking for and see if he can accomodate your request. They will need at least one day advance notice; good luck! Of course, if he is able to 'get it done' that would definitely fall in the category of 'extra tipping' because the food you're asking for is not part of the regular menu;)

On our last couple of cruises, Nasi Goreng and Bami Goreng have been offered in the dining room for dinner.

I see these foods mentioned all the time and have no idea what they are. Could someone please explain?

Rijsttafel! Just had it last thursday! Enak sekali/delicious!:)

We have (very generously) been offered Rijsttafel several times but it isn't one of our favorites. While we appreciated the offer, we declined. :o

We ate it several times in Amsterdam and just don't have a taste for it.

I see these foods mentioned all the time and have no idea what they are. Could someone please explain?

Bami Goreng is Indonesian stir fried noodles made with ketjap (not ketchup :) ) and served with chicken satay and rice cracker.

Nasi Goreng is made with rice.

In the days when we still had Dutch Night on the ships, I was always torn whether to order the Bami Goreng or Dover Sole. Seeing they sadly have discontinued Dutch Night on most cruises, I can't remember the last time I had Bami. We miss Dutch Night.

I love Bami Goreng and have made it at home. A HAL friend heard I was having trouble finding ketjap and he mailed me two bottles. :) That is HAL taking care of guests both on and off the ship. ;)

Archived