Book through NCL or travel agent

calenita

Have completed one NCL cruise last year and thinking of another one this year. We booked through an online travel agent last year. Is there any advantage in booking directly through NCL?

Thanks all.

If you do some research, you should be able to find reputable travel agencies that are willing to discount your cruise. In my opinion, that savings far outweighs whatever minor advantages ( which I'm generally not even convinced exist) might come from booking through NCL. I guarantee there will be other opinions disagreeing with mine.

there are some who ll swear they get the best deals booking straight

thru NCL rather than a TA..:o

the price differance between the two are not wide enough for me to justify dealing with a TA..always had good experience s with dealing with

NCL direct..can t say the same with a TA..

and if id ever had a question about my cruise status..im confident that

the NCL agent would get me the answer quicker than a TA..

By the way, if you book through NCL, obviously their agents can only sell you an NCL cruise. A good travel agent who knows the market and understands your personal preferences might suggest other cruises that may better suit your needs and even save you some money.

I am currently booked with NCL. I may transfer to an agent right before final payment, I don't know. I like the ease of dealing with NCL. I booked the cruise on a Monday, saw a price drop on Thursday, left a message with the PCC, and had an invoice with the lower price within minutes!

Marie

I'm 2 for 2 in booking direct w/ NCL then transferring our reservation to a TA. We own a timeshare and exchange thru RCI, so we can use an exchange to lower our price. For example, with our booked suite on the Epic, we save about $600 off of the price compared to our original price w NCL.

The times I've called NCL directly, I've personally had great, friendly and knowledgeable people to talk with.

I am currently booked with NCL. I may transfer to an agent right before final payment, I don't know. I like the ease of dealing with NCL. I booked the cruise on a Monday, saw a price drop on Thursday, left a message with the PCC, and had an invoice with the lower price within minutes!

Marie

What does that mean to transfer to an agent before final payment?

What does that mean to transfer to an agent before final payment?

If you originally booked directly with NCL you can later request that a travel agency of your choice take over the booking, just as if it had originally been made through the agency.

Marie

I've had two changes and one was voluntary on NCL's part without even asking. I've had bad experiences with TA's and didn't use one this time. I seem to get better prices doing "my own thing".

I always booked through TA. I check prices with both and have found our TA was a little cheaper. This last cruise I booked through NCL because they were cheaper. What I like----I can call them with questions and they answer me, not have to go through me TA to get the info. I like that. So far so good with booking through NCL. Have fun on your cruise!

I have a TA she used to work with my sister and is a TA on the side so we know her really well. We always book a group and if there is a price change I do not even need to look - she takes care of it for everyone and then calls me to tell me the adjustments and the new OBC that I get. She also always puts a bottle of wine in all the rooms. I like the fact that I do not have to keep checking to see if the price goes down. She is reliable and is always checking for all her clients. So I will always use my TA. I do not just use her for NCL I have for RCCL also.

I always book thru NCL and here are my reasons. First and foremost, I don't trust any TA to check for price drops as often as I do. I see many responses that their TA got them some great drops and they don't have to do anything. How do you really know unless you're checking yourself - you don't, period, no way Jose.

My second reason is I want to be in control of my booking and not have to go thru a TA. I am one of the lucky ones who has the direct line to the NCL upsell desk and I want to be able to call them about 45 days to sailing and negotiate an upsell. If I book thru a TA I lose that option.

My final reason is a very selfish reason in that I believe by using a TA I am contributing to a higher cruise fare because the cruiseline has to pay a commission. Being an auditor, I know that the higher my cost the higher my selling price has to be. If everyone used a TA, NCL's costs would be higher meaning my fare would be higher. Conversely, if everyone used NCL, their costs would be lower and our fares would go down.

Peter

My Kingdom for that upsell number! We are booked through a TA because the original PCC was a sleaze and played so many "marketing" games, I swore off. (Used to teach marketing....I know crap when I hear it. In fact I may still write to Co Hq. ) However I would like to do all I can to see if the Fairy would consider waving a wand in our direction. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Blessings,

Gail

In the past, I would of said book direct with NCL. However, NCL is into this PCC stuff like Carnival nowdays. Our PCC (which we did not request) could not explain why we did not receive a Latitudes discount even though the NCL's website noted there was a special Latitudes rate for all sailings. We called general reservations the next day and they said it was hit or miss on discounts for past guests. 5 past cruises with NCL did not mean anything on the rate we received. It would of been understandable, had the Latitudes site not promised a special rate for past guests on every sailing. We cancelled our reservation and NCL's false promise of a special rate for past passengers is to blame.

We have used an online ta for about half of our 25 cruises and never had a problem. The last two cruises (rcl and ncl) we got free gratuities plus obc from the agency and ncl and also saved quite a bit on the fare price. We could not deal with ncl and we are latitude members. It is wise to select what you want and search various agencies before commiting.

In the past, I would of said book direct with NCL. However, NCL is into this PCC stuff like Carnival nowdays. Our PCC (which we did not request) could not explain why we did not receive a Latitudes discount even though the NCL's website noted there was a special Latitudes rate for all sailings. We called general reservations the next day and they said it was hit or miss on discounts for past guests. 5 past cruises with NCL did not mean anything on the rate we received. It would of been understandable, had the Latitudes site not promised a special rate for past guests on every sailing. We cancelled our reservation and NCL's false promise of a special rate for past passengers is to blame.

You know, of course, that you can book completely online and never talk to anyone (including the PCC's). That's what I do. I very seldom have a question, but when I do, I simply call the general reservation number and generally get my question answered. Again, there is no way I would trust any TA to do as good a job at maximizing my vacation as I do. It's too important to me and my family.

Peter

I have done both. For my next cruise, I used the web site that puts out a request for your cruise and various TA's then e-mail you their price. I could not believe the variation in prices! I selected the lowest one and have been very happy with the service I have received. I have even had the price drop some more. I say check around and then compare with NCL directly.

We've used travel agents 3 times and the hubby & I've booked the rest through whichever line we are sailing, Carnival or Norwegian.

The travel agents were good, but I think could have done a bit more either price wise or perks such as even a Bon Voyage card or banner in the cabin (for 4 people's first cruise) or for another cruise in which we were celebrating our Silver Anniversary cruise. I get really tired of reading how some people's travel agents go all out to make their client's trips more special - and probably have those people return and give them repeat business, while our travel agents have this information and give a yawn.

Dealing with the cruiselines directly is a mixed bag. We've booked by calling the 800 (866, or whatever number) and got things taken care of - booking, payments, questions. We've also dealt with a personal cruise representative (or whatever they are called). These people didn't go up and above any more than our travel agents have, so...

If you try enough routes, perhaps you'll stumble onto a travel agent or PCR that really wants you to have a great experience in all aspects of your trip and will be rewarded with your future business. Or maybe your family, friends, or acquaintances have a great contact that they tell you about.

We have always booked direct with NCL or Princess, but this time we changed from "direct" to a TA, because of credit card "points", now, I am paranoid...:o

We applied for a Sea Miles Visa card, just for cruises, we were one of those that got jilted by the cancellation of the Compass Rewards. When I called to make my final on Sea Miles, the TA guy said that if I would book through them we would get 19000 points which equates to about $50 (we're building for a $500 coupon off the next cruise) so we changed the booking. The deadline was last evening, I am not seeing it as a "pending charge", and he sent me no confirmation, although NCL did tell me over the phone, we are paid, so I guess I am just paranoid, but I sure would hate to lose the cruise, we're going through the Panama Canal on a repositioning in September...:(

We have our third cruise leaving in a few days - woo hoo! I tend to scour the internet for best price on anything. Last year's cruise was through a TA we had used many times. After booking, found we could have saved a few hundred $ elsewhere. In fact, the other TA called me 3 days before the cruise and asked if I knew anyone interested in a cabin for a ridiculous few hundred dollars! This year, I searched high and low and got the OS for $1000 less than through the TA I used last year and over NCL's lattitudes discount. This thru a cruise discount website (I called first and got the lattitudes discount anyway). I'm not complaining.

Marie

I was wondering....did you just check NCL website regularly and noticed that the prices had gone down???

Archived