Coco Cay

How often do the tenders run? Traveling with a large group, different ages, and I know the issue is going to come up with some wanting to leave early from the island, and others staying as long as they can.

Speaking of Coco Cay, can somebody tell me how much roughly it costs to get this tender. Can you just pay for the tender to places and wander around yourself or do you have to pay for a pre planned excursion.. Its my first cruise so not to sure.. would like to just go to the beach for a few hours to relax not really into excursions.. I suppose basically what Im saying is the boat tender like a bus you can catch and pay for seperately without having to do a tour!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, and sorry for hi-jacking your thread Tymen!! :) Do you need to book the tender or do you just walk down to the departure place and hop on the next available one?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, and sorry for hi-jacking your thread Tymen!! :) Do you need to book the tender or do you just walk down to the departure place and hop on the next available one?? :rolleyes:

Just head down to the departure floor and wait for the next tender. There will be staff people down there directing traffic. very easy process.

LOL, same questions for me!!! Okay, so tenders operate all day, they are free, free lunch on the island.

Another question, is there a hiking trail, or can you walk around on any kind of path? How about different beach sections? Never been to Coco cay, but been to Castaway (DCL's island) and there is a lot to do there, just wondering if this is the same...

Thanks!

LOL, same questions for me!!! Okay, so tenders operate all day, they are free, free lunch on the island.

Another question, is there a hiking trail, or can you walk around on any kind of path? How about different beach sections? Never been to Coco cay, but been to Castaway (DCL's island) and there is a lot to do there, just wondering if this is the same...

Thanks!

There is trails that go pretty much around the whole island. It's set up different than Castaway Cay. Think of Disney's Island as a long stretch of beach like HAL's Half Moon Cay and CocoCay as multiple beach areas around the island. You can pick the first beach area and sit with the crowds or you could walk further around the back of the island for more private areas.....also, there's a bar pretty much all the way around for your "CocoLoco" fix! :D

The tenders run all day, at about 15-30 min. intervals. You don't need to reserve spots, just line up and get on. You may come and go as you please. The tenders are large and hold about 150 folks at a time, but they don't wait to fill them completely in the middle of the day....

Just wander the island...it's not too large to do that! Once you're there, you'll find it easy to navigate!

You can also rent snorkel gear and floating mats on the island as well as take advantage of the wonderful loungers under the palm trees (my personal fav);) There is a straw market of sorts there that only takes cash (no seapass here). It's pretty much normal tourist stuff, so don't feel bad if you decide not to stop:D There is also a kids area (Cantlanas Cave or something similar) that has a lot of the inflatable water equipment for the kiddies (sorry can't tell you more about that - my kids were way beyond that when we were last there:rolleyes:). Have a great trip!

There is a nature hike that is nice. My DH and I just came back from there. After the hike we found a remote beach with no one around us. That is where we stayed most of the day. The tenders leave every fifteen minutes. I'm not sure how many people they hold but it's a good amount. Note for people with children or teenagers. They will not let them go to the island without their parent. This goes for teenagers. I saw a handful of very annoyed teenagers that were turned away because they parents were still sleeping.

Remember, a tender isn't a TOURING thing. It's basically a taxi to take you from the ship to the island (and many OTHER islands ships visit). They use tenders when the water is too shallow to dock. So they wouldn't dare charge you. Without a tender you'd be stuck on the ship with no way off.

The last time I was at Coco Cay, the tender left every 15 minutes or so. As one left, another was coming back so even if you had to wait, you'd usually wait ON the tender.

Another vote for the nature trail. Follow the signs. It's wonderful .... peacocks, peahens, hermit crabs and lots of other wildlife. Nice relaxing hike around the island and you'll see the most amazing deserted beaches.

, but they don't wait to fill them completely in the middle of the day....

I have noted that, more often than not, they do hold the tenders until they are filled. With bad timing, you can be sitting on the tender for half an hour before it departs.

It would make more sense to send them out at half loads to speed efficiency, but that is probably too easy.

If you're one of the first people on the island, you can snag up a hammock for free. Talk about relaxing! They're spread out throughout the island hanging off of trees.

Its also very quiet on the island if you get there earily. As the day progresses more people wake up and make their way over, i always enjoy the 9:30-11:30 hours the best.

We've only been to Coco Cay once before. We're going on another cruise (Bahamas Dec 09) - basically because we loved Coco Cay so much the last time. The beaches are so beautiful and quite esp if you arrive on the first tender - you will have your choice of spots, hammocks etc. Yes, feel free to walk the paths and check out the lighthouse on the island etc.

Once you've arrive, you won't want to leave. We've been to Labadee (another RCCL private Island) before but Coco Cay is SO much nicer.

Have a great time and enjoy yourselves.

We've only been to Coco Cay once before. We're going on another cruise (Bahamas Dec 09) - basically because we loved Coco Cay so much the last time. The beaches are so beautiful and quite esp if you arrive on the first tender - you will have your choice of spots, hammocks etc. Yes, feel free to walk the paths and check out the lighthouse on the island etc.

Once you've arrive, you won't want to leave. We've been to Labadee (another RCCL private Island) before but Coco Cay is SO much nicer.

Have a great time and enjoy yourselves.

We are always on the first or 2nd tender for that reason. We have our favorite spot on CocoCay where DH can have shade but I have sun. Right up in the front row so no one in front of us.

Another hint - we do this and saw a number of people doing it the last time there - go to Walmart or the dollar store and buy the blow up mats. Take them with, use them all day and throw them away. I paid like $.99 - $1.50 for the mats vs $10 a day to rent them. Since they are in the package when we pack, they are no work to take, and since we throw them away, no hassle bringing them back. I even bought a really light hand pump to blow them up. Water was very colorful over 4th of July with pink, green, yellow, orange and other colored mats floating around in the water:p

Here is a pic that someone sent me this week. I haven't been to Coco Cay since 2006. They have added the ship's spa service (limited) to the island along with a few cabana's around the lighthouse. Looks wonderful. I also like the idea of bringing a float that you're able to throw away.

Monarch2009254.jpg

Thanks!

here are some pictures of CoCo Cay there are four tenders that run all day about every 10 minuites apart

http://travel.webshots.com/album/572767159LyYONj

Here is a pic that someone sent me this week. I haven't been to Coco Cay since 2006. They have added the ship's spa service (limited) to the island along with a few cabana's around the lighthouse. Looks wonderful. I also like the idea of bringing a float that you're able to throw away.

Monarch2009254.jpg

Wow this one threw me for a loop... LOL I was like "How did MY picture get to this thread?" Then I realized how it happened...:D

I loved Coco Cay! I would do another cruise that stopped here in a heartbeat. We did the jet ski excursion and got a facial on the island spa (I think they call it the Island Oasis).

First time RCL cruiser here with what is probably a stupid question. How do you pronounce it? Is it Coco Key or Coco Kay?

The reason I ask is I always thought Cay was pronounced key, but someone who cruises a lot on RCL said it was kay.

First time RCL cruiser here with what is probably a stupid question. How do you pronounce it? Is it Coco Key or Coco Kay?

The reason I ask is I always thought Cay was pronounced key, but someone who cruises a lot on RCL said it was kay.

It is Coca Cay (KAY) :D.

Archived