Shopping for Quality

Hi there. So I've been thinking about this for a while. I go shopping and buy work clothes, play clothes, etc. and don't mind paying full price if it's going to be a wardrobe staple. I buy a lot of solids so that I can mix/match & accessorize but it seems that my clothes don't last all that long. I buy a lot of items from The Gap, The Limited, Macys, etc.

My issue is that I buy tops/sweaters for $40-$50 and they pill after one or two wears. I've had tops that pilled from my purse rubbing against my side. I realize I'm not shopping in high end stores but I'm also not shopping in the cheapest of stores. I am 24 and starting to build upon my work wardrobe and I want more pieces that will last longer than one season.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Where do you shop that you find has quality clothing that lasts?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions for brands, stores, etc. Thanks!

Toni

I'm a huge fan of the Eileen Fisher products. They can be costly, if not on sale, but the styles are pretty timeless, they last forever and are comfortable. I don't care where I buy a product, but if it doesn't wear properly, I take it back - save those receipts!

What kind of purse are you carrying that rubs so much on your tops??? I buy from some of the same stores, but haven't had that problem....True--they aren't "top-end" stores, but they're not "Old Navy", either!

Try changing your purse!

What kind of purse are you carrying that rubs so much on your tops??? I buy from some of the same stores, but haven't had that problem....True--they aren't "top-end" stores, but they're not "Old Navy", either!

Try changing your purse!

cb, I was wearing a soft leather purse and a printed top from Express. I was wearing my purse all day because I was walking around the city that day. I loved the top and was so disappointed. I did bring it back & they were okay with the return.

But even if it's not a purse, my clothes from these stores seem to pill.

I did check out Eileen Fisher on nordstrom.com Alidor. And I'm just not in the market to spend $200 on every top I purchase. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will be sure to look for Eileen Fisher if Nordstrom is ever having a sale. :)

I have this problem with almost every sweater that I purchase including the pricey ones! My knit tops do the same and so do dresses. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I can tell you that price hasn't mattered that much. The only thing that I've noticed is that with my cashmere sweaters that the thicker the yarn, the less pilling. Otherwise, my $250 sweater pills just as much as my $50 one.

In general, I find that anything I purchase at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Ross tends to be lesser quality. Yes, there are some rare bargains, but I suspect that a lot of the items they carry are manufactured from a lesser-quality fabric.

I can't afford the super great quality stuff, but I get better stuff at Talbots, Ann Taylor, Nordstroms and other stores like that. You're young :) - I'm not sure which stores would be most appealing to you. But when you shop, look at the fabric content, pull it, scrunch it up, see how it feels, how much it creases. Some sweaters always seem to pill --- like angora. I had a roommate in the 80s who kept her best sweater in the freezer. I don't think that helped! :rolleyes:

I've pretty much given up on really inexpensive stuff unless I expect to wear it for one season only. Most of it only lasts for a season, so why bother investing too much?

I have tons of vintage clothes; Calvin Klein skirts, Suzy Wong dresses, etc. These are all beautifully made, many of which are lined in silk. The seams are impeccably sewn and the materials range from shantung silks, raw and watered silk, Irish linen, etc.

I am often hard to fit - 5"2, 107 pounds on a small frame and I find that vintage clothes fit far better. And, if you shop carefully, they can be much less expensive for much higher quality.

Another good place for high-end clothes is consignment shops run by the Junior League. I got a beautiful linen Calvin Klein swing skirt for $14.00 because the waist was so small and it kept getting marked down - to $14.00. I also got an adorable, like new, Marc Jacobs cotton Mandarin-style top for $40 - it retailed for over $200!

I have this problem with almost every sweater that I purchase including the pricey ones! My knit tops do the same and so do dresses. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I can tell you that price hasn't mattered that much. The only thing that I've noticed is that with my cashmere sweaters that the thicker the yarn, the less pilling. Otherwise, my $250 sweater pills just as much as my $50 one.

I have found the same thing. A couple of years ago when I had a windfall I bought a couple of beautiful sweaters, including a Scottish cashmere turtleneck that was expensive even on sale. (But if feels sumptuous and it's my absolute favourite) Soft fibres pill...there's nothing you can do about it other than to minimize anything rubbing against it.

Living in South Florida, the only sweaters that I wear are cotton, and they do not pill at all. Cotton may not work in the coldest months in NJ, but they are good for a lot of the year. I wash/dry my cotton sweaters by machine; at first they shrink a little, but it is just so easy.

You do not have to spend a lot of money to get durable clothing, but in general, you should stay out of the juniors departments if you are concerned about quality. I tend to buy a lot of polyester tops for work because they are so easy to wash and wear, and they last well. Most of my work bottoms come from Ann Taylor or Loft (on sale). I avoid silk because it is too hard to care for.

When I was a young girl my Aunt worked in a high end Specialty Children's Clothing Store and my Mom worked in a local very high end department store. They would both by me very expensive clothes that were on sale, and then they got an employee discount. I was very lucky that I was able to wear beautiful, quality clothes for all of my years growing up. From about the age of 4 until 19-20 (early 50's to the late 60's). I wore 100% fine wools, cashmere, silks, etc. I truly believe that these clothes, mostly made in America, were made to last and the quality of workmanship was MUCH higher than today. Today, even VERY expensive clothing is NOT made in America and the quality of many items is not very good. I also do not believe that items are made to last, manufactures do not want clothing to last too long as they want you to purchase more.

I recommend that you spend time on the internet searching for a very few very high end items. Perhaps the first winter you could purchase a Pendleton black suit. Buy a classic style. A black suit can be worn anywhere, dressed up or down the jacket can be worn with other items, including jeans and the pencil skirt, can of course, be worn with lots of things from a dressy tee shirt to a fine silk blouse. Then the next year add another "fine" item to your wardrobe. You are young, before you know it you will have a beautiful, classic wardrobe.

I have a lovely "cruising" wardrobe that I have purchased on line by watching the sales at Ann Taylor, Talbot's JJill, Nordstrom's etc. I have $140.00 linen, fully lined walking shorts that I paid $9.99 for, also a fully lined linen dress and pants suit for very similar pricing. I have 2 evening dresses from Ann Taylor's wedding collection that I paid $49.99 each for.

I have a beautiful 3 piece, black silk suit that was $279. that I bought for $79 from Nordstrom's. Keep watching and keep educating yourself on what is the best materials and the best manufactures.

In general, I find that anything I purchase at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Ross tends to be lesser quality. Yes, there are some rare bargains, but I suspect that a lot of the items they carry are manufactured from a lesser-quality fabric.

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Clothing from those stores is not from a lesser quality fabric. They may, however, just be from a past season but still the same quality. I have even found current season things. Like any of the discount stores, there are many brands sold and they are not all quality brands to begin with so you just need to "know your stuff".

puggle

The operative word here is SALE. If you're willing to take the time to dig through racks, you can always glean some good bargains on top quality items. Check any of the places, Macy's, Nordstoms, Ann Taylor online and there's always a special sale section.

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Clothing from those stores is not from a lesser quality fabric. They may, however, just be from a past season but still the same quality..

I probably should have added, "look closely to be sure you're getting quality". :)

There are certain lines sold at TJ Maxx in particular that aren't sold in other stores. That's the stuff I was referring to. I know that a few of their stores have really fabulous high end stuff, but at our local stores (small city) I have seen countless articles of clothing where the seams aren't properly finished, button holes are sewn over, zippers don't match.

I'm with you there. The clothes at those stores may be cute, but the quality is definately cheaper. I'd rather spend a lot of money on a few well made items then something cute that won't last. Kohls has really cute clothes but the quality is horrible...from Vera Wang line all the way down.

The other thing is how we take care of our clothes. I don't put anything in the dryer, I use only better quality detergent, and use vinegar instead of bleach to whiten stuff. You can even extend the wear of cheaper made clothes by how you take care of them.

I can't afford the super great quality stuff, but I get better stuff at Talbots, Ann Taylor, Nordstroms and other stores like that. You're young :) - I'm not sure which stores would be most appealing to you. But when you shop, look at the fabric content, pull it, scrunch it up, see how it feels, how much it creases. Some sweaters always seem to pill --- like angora. I had a roommate in the 80s who kept her best sweater in the freezer. I don't think that helped! :rolleyes:

I've pretty much given up on really inexpensive stuff unless I expect to wear it for one season only. Most of it only lasts for a season, so why bother investing too much?

Eileen Fisher has some outlets. When I'm in Chicago, it's always a must do, and I know there are some on the East Coast. Have also gotten amazing deals through Bloomingdales. com, Neimanmarcus, com and others. If you watch the sites, you would be surprised how very low some of the prices can be.

Years ago I used to sew in order to have better clothes at less money. I only bought the best fabrics - expensive wools, silks, linens, etc. When I got a gift check from my parents, I went to the best dept. store in town and went to their designer shop. I would try to find something on sale that I could afford. After I went back to work, I did not have the time to sew. When outlets became popular, I started to shop at them. Because of my sewing background, I was able to recognize quality. I am a snob about quality fabrics. Even the designer clothes today are not made as well as the designer clothes of yesterday. Become familiar with the better quality labels and shop the sales. For your basic black suit, you may need to pay full price. If possible, buy separates and try to buy a jacket, skirt and pants. You will then be able to mix and match them with other items in your wardrobe.

I feel your pain but we now live in a "disposable society" Nothing is made to last anymore. From clothing to electronics and cars, they want you to keep going back for more, better, upgrades, etc...

I have quit trying and just buy at discount stores like Ross and TJ Max.

Good luck to you and happy cruising:)

Thanks to everyone for your informative responses.

I didn't think of clothing not being "made to last" in our "disposable society", but that definitly could be part of it. I don't shop in the juniors department because I do think a lot of what they sell there is crappy and I don't want to be wearing something that a 13 year old would be wearing.

I agree that I do need to become more educated on fabrics, etc. That would probably help with shopping.

I liked the idea of adding new items each year. I have a suit and I hope I never have to wear it again. I much prefer business casual. :) Maybe this year I'll treat myself to my first cashmere sweater.

Question about cashmere: If I get a white cashmere sweater & wear it with black pants, will the sweater "shed" tiny white fuzzies on my pants?

Question about cashmere: If I get a white cashmere sweater & wear it with black pants, will the sweater "shed" tiny white fuzzies on my pants?

It's going to depend on the fabric of your pants. I have many, many cashmere sweaters, some pants they're fine with, other, holy moly, shed city. I think some cashmere is going to shed, it's just how badly is it going to stick to your pant's fabric.

I agree with buying quality pieces that'll last and then filling in with some fun inexpensive trendy items. Buy one or two "good" items a year, and then fill in as your budget allows. And remember, expensive accessories will make a cheap piece of clothing look more expensive, and a cheap accessory will cheapen the whole outfit.

Invest in all leather, Eurpean made shoes; buy two good leather stylish handbags (summer and winter), and buy yourself at least one silk Hermes scarf by the time you're 30. You'll have it forever.

At 24, I think that most Eileen Fisher is going to look too matronly on you. Some of the pieces are nice, and I wouldn't ignore them, but at your age, you should look more sharp. And their things are a bit more weekend-y looking with their elastic waists and "forgiving" drapey fabrics.

I worked for Pendleton for years and agree that their quality is top notch, but again, it's not sharp enough for you. Buying a coat, jacket or a skirt from them is fine, but I wouldn't buy their pants (styled for women over 50) or a suit. Yes, it'll last forever, and you'll still be wearing it when you're 75, but I think you should take advantage of your youth and buy things that reflect you.

That *doesn't* mean overtly sexy or stupidly trendy, just hip and with-it!

Yes, definitely buy the "workhorse" pieces that you can wear day in, day out - the great black skirt, black pants, also navy or brown (depending on your tastes). Look in J Crew, and Club Monaco. But watch their quality which can be "iffy", so buy on sale.

Also look at DVF (Diane Von Furstenburg), she has great stuff - but her claim to fame is her prints, and prints can't be worn as long. Here in NY, women can look at others and say "DVF 2002". Maybe where you live it doesn't matter, but NY's a tough town! :D

I would sggest looking at lines like Tahari and Theory for some elegant basics. Look at Nanette Lapore which has some outstanding suits, but they're a little trendy, so I'd only buy them on sale. A good Tahari suit you'll wear for 7-10 years, one from Nanette Lapore, not so many.

I used to like DKNY but they've gotten radically downscale, lesser quality and less hip in the past 2 years.

At end of season sale time, hit the big time designer racks in stores like Saks, Neimans, and try to score something fantastic from Calvin Klein (his real line, not his jean line) or Ralph Lauren. Something like a classic black skirt from a designer will have a fit, fabric, and detail that'll make others swoon, and you'll wear it for years and always feel great in it. I got a $750. Dolce et Gabbana top on sale for $200 about 5 years ago and people still stop and ask me about it whenever I wear it. It was just one of those "steals" and is both high fashion and timeless.

Sweaters that pill or don't pill are hard to predict. Buy one of those little "shaver" gizmo's in a store like Bed, Bath Beyond, or Container Store and the pills will be gone instantly.

Have fun!

I agree on how you laundry clothes makes a difference. My husband and sons Lacoste shirts cold water only and never in the dryer. they have lasted forever.

For a reasonable price I like Land's End. Their no iron shirts are wonderful . I do not like their cotton tee shirts. They have great sales and you can order at Sears and get free shipping.

I also like Ann Taylor.

Hi,

I have done laundry for a family of 5 for many years.

RARE is a sweater that pills on me.

I did have one issue once with a purse whose zipper caused pulls in my clothes because it was too exposed and rubbed against my clothes...

I tried to teach my youngest son (18) a few washing machine rules to keep your clothes in good shape. One was- if you are washing anything with Velcro- either wash it by itself or make SURE the velcro closure is closed completely. Of course he did not listen and I CRINGED when I saw he had an expensive UnderArmour hoodie in the same wash. THANK GOD- the velcro attached itself to a t-shirt- but it would have ruined the sweatshirt if it had attached to that. I hope the real life near-disaster example reinforced the rule he chose to ignore.

Another biggie is to wash like with like. Jeans with jeans. Close zippers and buttons before you wash- helps prolong zipper life and again prevents snags and pulls.

With sweaters, if it says hand wash- cold. BE CAREFUL...accept if you do not follow washing instructions- misery can result!!!

I try to avoid buying sweaters that say dry-clean only or hand wash only. I try to balance cost v. level of care needed- cause often the more delicate a washing instruction- the less likely you are to use THAT piece of clothing!

I wash sweaters inside out and even when they are allowed in a dryer, I try to fluff/partial dry them and then hang to dry the rest of the way. I think that also cuts down on pilling.

I buy from TJ Maxx & Marshalls all the time- but it pays to know your prices.

I have little tees from Polo Ralph Lauren I love (got them at the RL outlet for 5-8$ each....) I've never seen them at TJ Maxx for that price, cheapest 10$ on clearance. They also have more expensive sweaters from Ralph Lauren, but better prices for those can be had in the department store clearance racks.

If I buy a no-name label- I accept they will/may have a shorter shelf life in my closet. I bought 3 shirts on the clearance rack Wednesday- 10$ each.

Tommy Hilfiger, Jones NY, Calvin Klein, Kate Hill (L&T store brand),

Ralph Lauren, and even Esprit are examples of manufacturers I buy (on sale), whose clothes usually have a great shelf life!

Another thing when buying clothes...if you have a few of an item in the size you are looking for..look at all of them closely- check there are no frays, all the buttons are on, all zippers work..

If there are any plaids/designs on pants, turn the pants around and look at the center seam. See how the patterns match at the BUTT seam or the side seams. Often there may be one pair where the pattern matches perfectly...and a few that are "off". you pay the same price <grin>- so why not get the pair with the best finishing......

With shirts that have patterns, sometimes the fabric is cut differently and you may prefer one over the other- the way it is cut

- also check side seam matches.

Of course some patterns cannot match up too well at the side seams- but if you start comparing- you will see one looks a lot better than another.

I just bought a gown- two of the same gown were at the store, same size- tried on both- they fit differently!! and THEN- the one that fit better had two rhinestone pins on shoulders- the other one was missing the pins. This was the second time I had tried the gown on- the first time was in a different store- I did not know there were pins that were supposed to be on the dress!

So keep an eye on those sale racks! BUT make sure the belt or accessories are there! If they are missing- it may cost too much to replace the missing piece and your bargain becomes a waste of $$.

Bernadette

Sweaters that pill or don't pill are hard to predict. Buy one of those little "shaver" gizmo's in a store like Bed, Bath Beyond, or Container Store and the pills will be gone instantly.

Have fun!

I was wondering when someone would bring up the sweater shaver -- I use mine frequently. I love silk knit sweaters or silk/cotton blends (wool is usually too heavy where I live, except for lightweight cashmeres). These frequently pill. The shaver works perfectly, but you do have to be careful using it on delicate knits as it CAN create a hole. :eek:

Thanks, Jane for such an informative reply. I do agree that at my age, sharpness is more what I should be shopping for. And I think I do a good job at picking out items; I just run into the issue of the clothes not lasting me. I will take your suggestion of adding new quality pieces & I actually would love a DVF dress.. I always look at them & just havent tried one on yet.

BTW, I looked at the hermes silk scarves online the other night and I didn't like any of them.. They were a little bit "colorful" for me. But I will continue looking from season to season.

I have a small fortune in handbags in my closet, but I am missing a nice black leather bag, so that's on my list of quality pieces to add. What makes a bag a winter bag? I mean, I get summer bags because colors can be lighter, brighter, etc. But isn't a classic leather bag for all year round?

Thanks to everyone else for your info too. I know some of you mentioned caring for clothes a certain way helps. I definitly do for the most part. I wash whites, blacks & colors all separately.

BTW here's a perfect example of my issues with quality. I ordered a pair of jeans from The Limited recently. They normally go for $70 but the pants were 40% off & then I found a 20% coupon code online to use. So I get them & they're nice and dark with a little bit of a wider leg. I get them hemmed and they look perfect on me. I'm thinking, I finally found the perfect jean! Well I wore them to work friday & then afterwards to dinner. By the time I got to the restaurant, they were loose & baggy and awful. This is a perfect example of my issues with quality. If I spent $70 on these jeans plus shipping, then paid to hem them & they did that, I would be beyond mad! Now I didn't pay quite that much, but it's still my hard earned money that went into these pants that I'm now afraid to wear ever again. And I always thought of The Limited as a decent quality store.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your advice. Sorry for my delayed response; I was away this weekend. Have a good week at work. :)

The other thing is how we take care of our clothes. I don't put anything in the dryer, I use only better quality detergent, and use vinegar instead of bleach to whiten stuff. You can even extend the wear of cheaper made clothes by how you take care of them.

This is very true! I saw a comparison by Consumers Reports or some other magazine years ago, where they took the same shirt and either washed it dry cleaned it repeatedly. The laundered shirt lasted 2-3 times longer than the dry cleaned shirt. I think clothes get just as worn out by our harsh laundering processes as they do by actually being worn. Laundering things in cold water, and hanging them to dry can keep clothes nicer, longer.

Exactly. A lot of people, though, can't be bothered to hang things to dry and wait it out. The only thing I dry in the dryer is towels and linens.

This is very true! I saw a comparison by Consumers Reports or some other magazine years ago, where they took the same shirt and either washed it dry cleaned it repeatedly. The laundered shirt lasted 2-3 times longer than the dry cleaned shirt. I think clothes get just as worn out by our harsh laundering processes as they do by actually being worn. Laundering things in cold water, and hanging them to dry can keep clothes nicer, longer.

Archived