Why Do Some Insist Solo Cruisers Are Lonely and Pathetic

kitty9

Haven't done it YET......but I am expecting nothing but the best time imaginable!! A smile and a willing sense of adventure are already packed!!

Karen - you are going to have the TIME OF YOUR LIFE! :):):):)

Alot of my friends and co-workers don't understand why I enjoy cruising alone. They don't (or won't) grasp the concept of me time. At work I am in constant contact with my boss, my stores, 21 managers, assistants and a host of people 50 weeks a year. My 2 weeks are for me. My schedule, my time, my relaxation. I have really met some fun folks while cruising and have never really had an incident being solo. I guess its just my adventurous side that takes over. Now I have convinced other friends of mine to try the solo cruise adventure...just not on my ship LOL

Alot of my friends and co-workers don't understand why I enjoy cruising alone. They don't (or won't) grasp the concept of me time. At work I am in constant contact with my boss, my stores, 21 managers, assistants and a host of people 50 weeks a year. My 2 weeks are for me. My schedule, my time, my relaxation. I have really met some fun folks while cruising and have never really had an incident being solo. I guess its just my adventurous side that takes over. Now I have convinced other friends of mine to try the solo cruise adventure...just not on my ship LOL

Your stores? Are you in retail? With that many Managers.....just

taking a guess:D:)

Here's a little quote I want to tell my fellow solo cruisers, if ever you feel you're being treated as sad or pathetic.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ---Eleanor Roosevelt

I think that says it all. You can't let anyone make you feel less than you are, no matter the situation. I'm disabled, but I've not let that stop me from traveling solo all over the world. So don't ever let a few jacka**es ruin your ability to cruise or travel wherever you desire, as a solo or with a friend.

Here's a little quote I want to tell my fellow solo cruisers, if ever you feel you're being treated as sad or pathetic.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ---Eleanor Roosevelt

I think that says it all. You can't let anyone make you feel less than you are, no matter the situation. I'm disabled, but I've not let that stop me from traveling solo all over the world. So don't ever let a few jacka**es ruin your ability to cruise or travel wherever you desire, as a solo or with a friend.

Hey hey.....right on!

LOL...Good guess. It just surprises me that the folks I work with won't take time off to get away from the rat race.

LOL...everyone is different:eek:....and lets not tell them what they

are missing:D;):)...just kidding. (sort of)....

I took a solo cruise when I turned 50. It was my birthday present to myself. I had not and have not ever lived alone or been alone. I grew up in a family of 6 in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house and lived there until I got married, had kids, remarried, another child. I had never really had time to myself. Never been able to do what I, and only I, want to do, so I thought I'd take my big 5-0 cruise alone just to experience being in sole control of my life. For dinner, I was placed at a table of 8. All pairs. A mother and a son, husband and wife, 2 sisters, etc and they couldn't quite grasp my decision to solo cruise. No matter. It was an experience. I got it out of my system and that was that. Would I do it again? No, once was enough for me., but I am glad I did it.

I took a solo cruise when I turned 50. It was my birthday present to myself. I had not and have not ever lived alone or been alone. I grew up in a family of 6 in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house and lived there until I got married, had kids, remarried, another child. I had never really had time to myself. Never been able to do what I, and only I, want to do, so I thought I'd take my big 5-0 cruise alone just to experience being in sole control of my life. For dinner, I was placed at a table of 8. All pairs. A mother and a son, husband and wife, 2 sisters, etc and they couldn't quite grasp my decision to solo cruise. No matter. It was an experience. I got it out of my system and that was that. Would I do it again? No, once was enough for me., but I am glad I did it.

Sounds like you didn't enjoy yourself? (from how I read your post)

Different strokes for different folks...we lived totally different lives,

that is for sure.

I have been on my own for the majority of my adult life. Having cruised

solo over 20 times and for me, its never enough:D...its not about

getting it out of my system;)...cruising is PART of my system:)

But you did say you are glad you did it...so that is a good thing!:)

It is really interesting to see the variety of reasons people enjoy solo cruising....so often it is because they lead such busy lives and never have any alone time.

That is not the case for me.....I have too MUCH alone time.....and taking my upcoming cruise solo was not my first choice. However......I don't know anyone else who wants to go so solo it is or not at all. NOW......I am just hoping that I do LOVE it!!

It is really interesting to see the variety of reasons people enjoy solo cruising....so often it is because they lead such busy lives and never have any alone time.

That is not the case for me.....I have too MUCH alone time.....and taking my upcoming cruise solo was not my first choice. However......I don't know anyone else who wants to go so solo it is or not at all. NOW......I am just hoping that I do LOVE it!!

Hi Karen - That's why I cruise solo, too. :) There is so much that I want to see and do but I don't know anyone who wants to do the same things I do. So, off I go on my own and have never regretted any of it. My grandmother, bless her heart, traveled solo all over the world...and she was born in 1898! :eek: My mother did the same thing. So, I guess it just seems natural to me. There's no way I'm going to put my life on hold waiting for someone to accompany me. I think it does take a certain personality type to do this, though. It is certainly not for the timid or extremely shy.

I'm sure you'll have the time of your life on your once in a lifetime cruise. You can be assured that I will be taking one of these mega-cruises after I retire.

Diane

Alot of my friends and co-workers don't understand why I enjoy cruising alone. They don't (or won't) grasp the concept of me time.

I told my coworkers of my plans to cruise in Feb with my sister. I'm getting a balcony (my first) and since I have to pay 200%, I figure I should take my sis along (free to her*). My coworkers were astonished that I would even consider it since they know how much I enjoy cruising solo.

My sister's husband doesn't like to travel so I thought I'd at least make her the offer as I thought she'd enjoy the adventure of going somewhere she's never been before. Well, she turned me down immediately, and then called back after about 20 minutes and said she had reconsidered. Her husband and daughter convinced her she should go.

*I told her I'd pay for the cabin and hotel the night before we sail but she needs to arrange her airfare (we're flying in from different cities) and pay for her extras and excursions. Basically, I'm paying for everything that I would normal pay if I were going by myself.

And if you don't try it, you may regret it Karen. Wishinig you well. I'm still looking for my next venture. Am so anxious for you still!

Sounds like you didn't enjoy yourself? (from how I read your post)

Different strokes for different folks...we lived totally different lives,

that is for sure.

I have been on my own for the majority of my adult life. Having cruised

solo over 20 times and for me, its never enough:D...its not about

getting it out of my system;)...cruising is PART of my system:)

But you did say you are glad you did it...so that is a good thing!:)

Hi Lois R: I did enjoy myself. It served my purpose which was experiencing being alone one whole week in fifty years and doing what I wanted without having to count on/deal with anyone else. Sleep til noon without having any interruptions? ok. Eat 2 desserts for lunch without any frowns directed my way? ok . Skip dinner choosing instead to curl up in my bathrobe and sit on the verandah listening to the sound of the waves? ok. Read til 2 a.m without being asked to turn off the lights? ok Once I completed the cruise, that purpose was served and that is what I got out of my system. I would never get cruising out of my system. Who'd want to? icon7.gif

My first solo trip was not a cruise but was a very educational and informative experience. I was widowed after 29 years of marriage. Some good friends had moved to England and wanted me to come for a visit. My daughter had done a semester in France the previous year and she convinced me to also go to Paris. In London I would be with friends.. In Paris I was alone.

It was such an emancipation. If I was on the way to a museum and decided I wanted to shop instead, I didn't have to negotiate with anyone! I did what I wanted, when I wanted. I ate at lovely restaurants (solo diners are very common in Europe) and attended the Folies Bergere.

I also spent a long weekend in Brussels on that trip and then flew to London from Brussels. I loved every minute of my trip.

For the last 15 years, I've had a significant other and we just booked our 5th cruise, but if he wasn't available or able to travel, I would not hesitate to go alone. I'm good company for myself.

I must have been lucky, because I never encountered any of the mean-spirited people some of you have, although I have been traveling solo for 20 years. I have gotten plenty of those annoying comments about "how sad" it is for me to "have to" travel alone, but always write that off to different personalities. Some people just need their partners or friends to be around to feel truly happy, and can't understand that others, like me, are happily single and enjoy of traveling solo. So I just smile and feel (silently) sorry for them, because they can't even imagine how much fun I have traveling by myself.

When people ask if I'm traveling alone on the cruise, I say the following (substituting the relevant info from my last cruise last month on the Emerald Princess):

"No, I'm not traveling alone; I'm traveling with 3100 people on the beautiful Emerald Princess".

Feel free to substitute your # of passengers, ship name, and Captain's adjective (Capt. Pomata of the Emerald Princess always referred to the ship as "beautiful" (which is is) during his twice-daily announcements).

This comment stops people at first, and then they usually laugh.

Archived