Ever book a cabin at the very front of the ship?

I asked my TA about booking one at the very front of the ship and her reply was "it will be very rocky and you won't be able to see the water, only the bow of the ship."

Hope that helps. Perhaps somebody with some "real" experience can be more helpful.

Had a balcony D1 cabin on the AOS a year ago that was very close to the front and had no problem. It was fun to watch the captain on the bridge at times. Did not feel any more movement than we have with other locations on ships.

Karyn

We had a cabin right near the front on our last cruise, from Cape Liberty down into the Southern Caribbean. It was noticably more rocky than our friends room in the middle of the ship. We had a couple of days of very rough seas, and that was when it was mainly felt, and you could also feel it all around the rest of the ship. When the waters calmed, it wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is more sensitive to motion sickness.

I just had the first balcony on deck 8 Mariner of the Seas, we were fine and had no problems but my suggestion would be to look at where you will be on the ship..... with kids and buffet preferance over the main dinig we should have book more towards the back...... just us :)

Curious to hear from those who have booked cabins at ther very front. Is it a rocky experience or is it as relatively stable as being located mid-ship or aft?

We were at the very front of the Voyager of the Seas in December 2009 out of Galveston. We had one of the Family OV Suites and the large OV next door on deck 9. Do not recall ever thinking it was rocky at all. No one with us mentioned anything either. We could see the water beyond the helipad. I have travelled very aft, middle, just about everywhere.

You have to keep your drapes drawn tight at night as the light will reflect from the window and bother the Captain and his buddies directly above you on the Bridge while they are trying to drive the boat, lol! Er, sorry Ship!

Anyway, we found that out when they gave us a call the first night.

My husband had a great view of the Emergency Medical Evacuation that happened while we were on board the last day. As I said the helipad is in clear sight.

Any other questions, just ask.

Colleen

We had the very forward OV cabin on deck 9 on the Mariner last August and we absolutely loved it, so much so that we booked another one on the IOS in December. I never felt a thing and we overlooked the helepad. It was fun. Only thing is, you have to keep the curtains closed at night so it doesn't interfere with the captain piloting the ship. Very nice location as it was quiet too.

Curious to hear from those who have booked cabins at ther very front. Is it a rocky experience or is it as relatively stable as being located mid-ship or aft?

We had a forward OV on Princess years ago on the Ocean Princess (Sun Class) was directly below the bridge, but never in a cabin further forward on a lower deck. But, we're looking forward to our aft next year....have only had one balcony before (thanks to an upgrade on Carnival--tiny balconies on the Carnival Legend....BTW)....will be looking forward to the large aft on the Freedom OTS.

We did not have that experience, but cruisemates did. Yes, they had to close the curtains at night and yes there was movement, which they did not seem to mind. They so loved that cabin to the point of rebooking it a few years later. I hope that you will have the same pleasant experience if and when you sail.

and it was at the very front of the ship and the ship really rocked. We could watch the front (bow?) actually rising up and "slapping down" on the waves. I don't get seasick at all but my DH had a little trouble with it. Also, we couldn't open the balcony door very well (it opened outward not a slider) and the wind was incredible against it. We could barely stay out on the balcony while the ship was moving the wind blew us back so much. I loved being rocked to sleep (by the ship mind you!!) each night. Our balcony could have held 4 couples dancing and still have room for the table, chairs and 2 lounge chairs. Our view did not look straight over the water either but it was nice anyway. The RFS was just above us and could look down on part of our balcony.

We were in a corner aft on the Grandeur last Aug. and it was rocking too but not as bad. The balcony didn't get any wind of course so we could enjoy it while we cruised. We had a slight wrap around balcony so we could see the side of the ship as well as the aft.

I had not had the chance to try a hump balcony. Maybe that's next!!

We were on the EOS in 2000, cabin 3500 a little rocky not bad...BUT if they used the bow thrusters in the morning you heard it! IF they dropped the 15ton anchor you heard it. To me I rather be mid ship or AFT.

Spent a week in 2534 on Monarch [last cabin before the hallway bends inward to the bow] had a great time motion was not a problem. On the other hand we didn't have any really bad weather. But we had some choppy days and we were fine.

On the Mariner we spent some time during a sea day in a family stateroom at the very front of the ship. I am somewhat prone to motion sickness, but usually don't get it too bad. It hasn't stopped us from cruising ;) But it was rocking sooo bad in that room I would never book one. After a couple minutes I had to get out.

We had a cabin about 4 back from the very front on Deck 8 of the Freedom. When we had good sized swells due to a 20 mph headwind, you could DEFINITELY feel the ship digging into the waves and riding them out. And Freedom is BIG ship.

But I'm not particularly subject to seasickness and I like the motion, so I enjoyed it. Reminded me I was at sea, not in Vegas. Those more sensitive than I probably would not.

You will feel less roll (left to right movement of the ship) than you will on balcony cabin on the same deck, but you will feel more pitch (up and down movement of the ship). That said, I had a forward facing balcony on the Jade ...

1-JadeinPCI.jpg

SRPV_3530.jpg

The thing sticking out in the photo below is the bridge ...

IMG_3279.jpg

I loved the cabin. The views coming into the harbors was great. I didn't feel any more movement than usual, and we had some rough seas (12 foot waves).

My second cruise was aboard the Grandeur in cabin 8000, very front....never again in the front of a ship! My first cruise was deck 10 mid-ship, and I enjoyed the left/right motion of the ship, but the up/down motion in the front was not pleasant for me.

We did! It was a riot. We were on the old Sun Viking and our cabin was right at the front. The window sill, if you can call it that, was about 7 feet deep. The porthole was halfway in. In the morning when they dropped anchor it was roaring loud and better than an alarm clock to wake us up. We had a small 3/4 size double bed and a smaller bunk above. It rocked and rolled so much I almost rolled out of the bunkbed. Still and all, after 22 cruises that one is still our favorite. These big huge mega ships are being built for the yuppies (IMHO) and they can keep them. We will settle for the Radiance class ships which are big enough for us.

We had cabin #7206 on Navigator and it was fantastic, the cabin seemed larger as it went across rather than long ways and we had 2 port holes (1 for each of us :D ) which made for great viewing when coming into port. Yes you could hear a bit of noise when coming into port and yes we could feel the motion a little more in our cabin on the days the sea was a little lively.. but it certainly didn't spoil our cruise.

The trouble is now we have experienced a balcony cabin we can't go back to an OV cabin :rolleyes:

You have to keep your drapes drawn tight at night as the light will reflect from the window and bother the Captain and his buddies directly above you on the Bridge while they are trying to drive the boat, lol! Er, sorry Ship!

Anyway, we found that out when they gave us a call the first night.

Colleen

This happened to us too! Only we had one of the officers knock on our cabin door and ask us to close the drapes! Never even thought of it till he mentioned why!

To the OP - we had a cabin at the very front on our Crown Jewel cruise. We didn't feel any motion at all. But like Colleen said, you have to keep your drapes drawn at night - it's hard to see anything at night anyway! We never heard anything when we pulled into port either - might be because we were directly below the bridge?

I wish we'd had a balcony on that cruise, but we only had a picture window with a window seat. It was nice, but I'm a balcony girl!

Our family had the Family Ocean View cabin twice on the Brilliance and once on the Jewel of the Seas. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. Sure, you feel some motion but no worse than any other part of the ship. Having the extra bedroom is a plus, especially for storage. We actually prefer this cabin to any Jr. Suite.

Go for it!!!

I was in cabin 7540, an E1 balcony on the Serenade. This was pretty far forward. I did notice more motion than when I had booked mid-ship, but it was not bad at all. In fact, it helped me sleep better because of the gentle rocking of the ship. It was not a big deal at all, but we had a very port intensive itinerary and only 1 day at sea with very calm seas. I would not hesitate to book a forward cabin in the future.

In 2001,on an Alaska cruise, we had the first outside cabin on deck 3.It was great until the second night. We hit a gale and was said to be in 55+ winds and seas of 25+ feet.I'm not a sailor so I just know it was pretty wild.They had the outside of the ship closed and THE bags everywhere.Most people were in their rooms by 8.We don't get seasick so we were ok.However,You would see thousands of gallons of water go by our window everytime the bow would go into a wave.It would throw my wife out of bed. But any other time,it was great.

• 7 months later...

He have had balcony locations all over the ship, but prefer the front cabins for the view. I love standing outside on the balcony at night and watching the bow of the ship break the large waves. Also as has been said already, the views when your in port are much better from the front of the ship. The motion has never bothered us, and remember, the higher up you are makes a difference also.

Archived