Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

To the OP - Sorry you were uncomfortable during your trip.

The only thing I can say is don't go camping in the south from May-October...you will be miserable!:D

;) I can assure you that I am not the camping type :)

absolutely.. .move over!

Sleep Over Party in the Atrium! (including the wide awake 3 yr old!)

I'm joining you! No way could my husband and I tolerate a hot room for 1 day let alone 7. I can function in a hot room alot better during the day than I can sleep in one. And if I don't get enough sleep, I don't function very well. I can tell you right now , my husband would have been knocking on doors looking for someone for us to move in with!

Pat

Jas1178: Thanks for your review. As I was reading I kept thinking about the people that post on how to use a magnet to keep the A/C on. Then bungee their balcony door open. That puts a strain on the A/C. Maybe the people above you did this. I'm not a HVAC tech. But it could affect cabins on the same duct system.

To the OP - Sorry you were uncomfortable during your trip.

The only thing I can say is don't go camping in the south from May-October...you will be miserable!:D

Speaking of nightmares.....my idea of pure hell is a camping trip, ANY time of year. I imagine others who can't stand the heat feel the same. Not to mention the mosquitoes, lack of bathroom facilities, etc... I don't consider myself high maintenance by any stretch of the imagination, but I do feel a vacation should include electricity, bathrooms, and a comfy bed :)

Speaking of nightmares.....my idea of pure hell is a camping trip, ANY time of year. I imagine others who can't stand the heat feel the same. Not to mention the mosquitoes, lack of bathroom facilities, etc... I don't consider myself high maintenance by any stretch of the imagination, but I do feel a vacation should include electricity, bathrooms, and a comfy bed :)

:D me too. (well except for the high maintenance part. The older I get, the more high maintenance I become) :p

I know what you mean:D Hell it is )

Ditto, not going there--ever. Well, ok, I MIGHT go camping in a Prevost motor home...but that's my minimum threshold. :D

Thanks! I tried to be polite with every staff member I encountered. Several times at the desk I heard them taking verbal abuse from other guests....I cringed.

I was firm, and possibly a little grumpy by day 3-4, but tried to realize that these people I was talking to didn't create the problem, and it wasn't their (the individual)'s fault.

Maybe reading Cruise Confidential changed some of the perspective, I don't know. I am a frequent guest in Marriott hotels, and often see front desk folks abused by guests. These are the same associates that you form friendship with when you stay 30-40 nights a year at their property.

I worked at the front desk at a 1000 room convention Marriott in downtown San Antonio, and the way some guests treated the staff in the front is sad. It all goes back to the saying, Treat others as you would like to be treated. You are more likely to have an issue resolved if you remain calm and don't get hot headed with a person. Who wants to help the guest who is screaming at you? It's a very stressful position to put someone in. I was more willing to help a guest that was calm rather than one who was calling me names and threatening me.

As far as the a/c goes, I pay out the wazoo for my apartment to stay cold because it kills me when my kitties are sprawled out on the kitchen floor because its so hot in here. I would be really uncomfortable on a cruise that is hot while im trying to sleep.

I worked at the front desk at a 1000 room convention Marriott in downtown San Antonio, and the way some guests treated the staff in the front is sad. It all goes back to the saying, Treat others as you would like to be treated. You are more likely to have an issue resolved if you remain calm and don't get hot headed with a person. Who wants to help the guest who is screaming at you? It's a very stressful position to put someone in. I was more willing to help a guest that was calm rather than one who was calling me names and threatening me.

LOL, this reminds me of friends who used to work an airline counter. Back in the days before they were computer generated and the employees were actually responsible for placing a city code tag on one's luggage, they assured me that, anyone who was nasty to them would find their luggage on another continent, LOL. Now, it's not so easy (if at all) to do that.

But, as I found out just this weekend, when we woke to construction outside our window at 6AM while in Philadelphia, if one is kind and humble when approaching the front desk, all sorts of good things can happen :D;) Now, this isn't as easy to "play" per se on a ship since different cultures might not buy that "kill 'em with kindness" thing. OP seemed to be the poster child for this. He was nice and attempted to be as accomodating as he could to them (an irony, I'd say), but even with that it took them several days to move him to another room.

My DD is a Marriott employee and calls home crying quite often. She unfortunately works AYS on occasion and hears all the complaints and gets screamed at as if things are her fault.

Some people are morons.

But, she needs to grow a thicker skin in order to stay working in this field because it is brutal.

On the occasions when people have complaints but they are nice about it, she always send them 'treats' to their rooms. (Champagne, choc. covered strawberries or plates of cookies) The ones that scream at her get nothing.

AND the hotel does have a small list of names of people who continue to book a room and seem to have complaints that they feel warrant them a free night or two all the time. People on this list are basically blackballed after a few incidents of this extortion type behavior.

My DD is a Marriott employee and calls home crying quite often. She unfortunately works AYS on occasion and hears all the complaints and gets screamed at as if things are her fault.

Some people are morons.

But, she needs to grow a thicker skin in order to stay working in this field because it is brutal.

On the occasions when people have complaints but they are nice about it, she always send them 'treats' to their rooms. (Champagne, choc. covered strawberries or plates of cookies) The ones that scream at her get nothing.

AND the hotel does have a small list of names of people who continue to book a room and seem to have complaints that they feel warrant them a free night or two all the time. People on this list are basically blackballed after a few incidents of this extortion type behavior.

You are right, it does take incredibly thick skin to deal with the occasional jerk that calls AYS or comes down to the desk to complain. Our hotel had the exact same list and it even goes all the way up to corporate in some cases. We were told in advance when a chronic complainer was coming to stay to make sure we did everything to prevent any problems this guest might encounter during their stay. My poor DH had to listen to me complain many nights after 850 check ins and running out of particular room types. All in all though, it is a great job with lots of opportunity for advancement. I really enjoyed working for Marriott.

Now I know why my travel alarm clock has a thermometer. To argue with the engineers on the ship.:D

A picture is worth a thousand words.

sorry_prod.gif

edit-ironic- the picture didn't take. here is the url

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=62137&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4524&feat=4524-tn&cat4=2929

I understand your review completely and it would have been a nightmare for me as well!!! Our last cruise the air was off when we entered our cabin and it was unbearably stuffy. Luckily the engineer came and was able to adjust it so that it worked. I cant imagine having to spend a week like that. 78 in fl/carribean is not the same as 78 up north.The humidity is much much different here. I remember a few years ago when all the hurricaines hit Fl, our power was knocked out for a few days in the summer and it was miserable!!! It was so miserable we actually bought a generator and portable ac unit so we would never have to experience it again. I cant imagine a vacation like that. Until you have experienced it, living in 78-79 degree humidity is a nightmare.

With the number of posts, this has obviously been a subject of much debate. So, I will throw in my 2 cents.

To the OP, I am sooo sorry that you had to deal with such an issue on your vacation and then to be treated with such disrespect by some on this thread. You were giving YOUR review. Your view of YOUR vacation. Had I been dealt your hand I would have been just as outraged and probably been thrown off the ship at the next port. I keep my home between 68 and 70 in the summer with an additional window air conditioner for the nights. I cannot sleep if I am hot. Period. It isn't a choice I am making, it is a fact. I would rather bundle under a nice warm comforter than have one second of discomfort from heat. Why would anyone feel they have the right to judge me on that. And to put a 3-year-old through the uncomfortable heat was downright mean of Carnival. Now I'm sure I will be getting flamed for that remark but a young child has no say in something like this. Please follow through with your complaint to Carnival. As a stockholder of Carnival stock I don't want anyone to lose faith in Carnival. But, I also want Carnival to earn the loyalty of customers. That means better returns for my stock. Either way, I'm sorry you had to deal with such a terrible vacation. Please keep us informed.... and get some rest, you deserve it!!!!!!

And how on earth do you find out if the room you are booking has an air conditioner problem? Noise issues are easier to figure out. You look at the deck above and below you. Air conditioning isn't readily available. I am now nervous about my next cruise although it will be in November.

With the number of posts, this has obviously been a subject of much debate. So, I will throw in my 2 cents.

To the OP, I am sooo sorry that you had to deal with such an issue on your vacation and then to be treated with such disrespect by some on this thread. You were giving YOUR review. Your view of YOUR vacation. Had I been dealt your hand I would have been just as outraged and probably been thrown off the ship at the next port. I keep my home between 68 and 70 in the summer with an additional window air conditioner for the nights. I cannot sleep if I am hot. Period. It isn't a choice I am making, it is a fact. I would rather bundle under a nice warm comforter than have one second of discomfort from heat. Why would anyone feel they have the right to judge me on that. And to put a 3-year-old through the uncomfortable heat was downright mean of Carnival. Now I'm sure I will be getting flamed for that remark but a young child has no say in something like this. Please follow through with your complaint to Carnival. As a stockholder of Carnival stock I don't want anyone to lose faith in Carnival. But, I also want Carnival to earn the loyalty of customers. That means better returns for my stock. Either way, I'm sorry you had to deal with such a terrible vacation. Please keep us informed.... and get some rest, you deserve it!!!!!!

And how on earth do you find out if the room you are booking has an air conditioner problem? Noise issues are easier to figure out. You look at the deck above and below you. Air conditioning isn't readily available. I am now nervous about my next cruise although it will be in November.

Ditto. I also like my bedroom to be cold during the winter. I can't stand to have the heat blasting - it makes it hard for me to breathe when the heat's on too high. It's much more comfy to pile on the blankets.:)

Oh come on.... I love camping. We have definite requirements. We have a 29' camper with electricity, running water, sewer hook-up, air conditioning, bathroom with shower and tub, sleeps 9, stove, oven, microwave, 26" LCD HD TV, DVD Player, fans to help circulate the cold air, refrigerator, freezer, blender for those frozen concoctions, coffee maker... and anything else I can fit in the huge areas of storage. Now that's my idea of camping. I love to rough it in the woods every now and then!!!!!! ;)

Oh come on.... I love camping. We have definite requirements. We have a 29' camper with electricity, running water, sewer hook-up, air conditioning, bathroom with shower and tub, sleeps 9, stove, oven, microwave, 26" LCD HD TV, DVD Player, fans to help circulate the cold air, refrigerator, freezer, blender for those frozen concoctions, coffee maker... and anything else I can fit in the huge areas of storage. Now that's my idea of camping. I love to rough it in the woods every now and then!!!!!! ;)

Psssttt .... that's not *roughing* it. I've stayed at Days Inns that weren't that nice. :p

with the number of posts, this has obviously been a subject of much debate. So, i will throw in my 2 cents.

To the op, i am sooo sorry that you had to deal with such an issue on your vacation and then to be treated with such disrespect by some on this thread. You were giving your review. Your view of your vacation. Had i been dealt your hand i would have been just as outraged and probably been thrown off the ship at the next port. I keep my home between 68 and 70 in the summer with an additional window air conditioner for the nights. I cannot sleep if i am hot. Period. It isn't a choice i am making, it is a fact. I would rather bundle under a nice warm comforter than have one second of discomfort from heat. Why would anyone feel they have the right to judge me on that. And to put a 3-year-old through the uncomfortable heat was downright mean of carnival. Now i'm sure i will be getting flamed for that remark but a young child has no say in something like this. Please follow through with your complaint to carnival. As a stockholder of carnival stock i don't want anyone to lose faith in carnival. But, i also want carnival to earn the loyalty of customers. That means better returns for my stock. Either way, i'm sorry you had to deal with such a terrible vacation. Please keep us informed.... And get some rest, you deserve it!!!!!!

And how on earth do you find out if the room you are booking has an air conditioner problem? Noise issues are easier to figure out. You look at the deck above and below you. Air conditioning isn't readily available. I am now nervous about my next cruise although it will be in november.

i second this!!!!! Amen!

My wife and I just got back from this same sailing on the Glory and experienced a handful of problems ourselves. We had just cruised the same ship last year without problems.

Our cabin was a little warmer than normal partly because we had to put the door jam on the balcony door at night to keep a one inch opening... otherwise the door sounded like a train whistle all night because of a poor seal.

Our friends in the cabin next to us had a cabin that was even hotter and a hole in their shower that flooded their bathroom (yes I know the bathroom tends to get wet on carnival but they actually had a hole)

On a positive note our room steward was the best we have had in 12 cruises and remembered our names from day 1 and even got to know our friends names in the other cabin.

Our friends had what turned out to be the worst room steward we have ever seen. He once left their door open after cleaning it for dinner which was bad for both of us considering we had connecting balconies which we tend to keep unlocked. He also tagged their room as being vacant during the muster drill before they even left the room (kinda goes against safety procedures)

The worst part of the trip had to be the disembarkation though. We were not able to get off the ship until 11am and we had number 15 tags and were sitting with people who had #33 tags so I would imagine it was well after 12 when the ship finally cleared. I have never seen it take this long.

Of course like the OP stated how the cruise director blamed the pilot in Belize (actually the result of an early morning rain shower) the director blamed the customs department for the delay. The whole trip there seemed to be a lot of blame passing by Carnival.

At least this ship is going in to drydock - she needs it

After taking our first Royal Caribbean cruise in May I have no desire to go on Carnival again... it really is apples and oranges. I am very frugal which is why I tend to take Carnival cruises for the price but I will just have to save a little more for the next cruise because it is worth the extra to choose a better cruise line.

You are right, it does take incredibly thick skin to deal with the occasional jerk that calls AYS or comes down to the desk to complain. Our hotel had the exact same list and it even goes all the way up to corporate in some cases. We were told in advance when a chronic complainer was coming to stay to make sure we did everything to prevent any problems this guest might encounter during their stay. My poor DH had to listen to me complain many nights after 850 check ins and running out of particular room types. All in all though, it is a great job with lots of opportunity for advancement. I really enjoyed working for Marriott.

I certainly enjoy that my DD works for Marriott :). Nice discount for parents :D

She's leaving RI (she is now done school) and will be coming home. I'm hoping she gets to continue with marriott here at home. :)

The OP's story would for sure be a nightmare for me. I'm "hot natured" and that would have been a god awful experience for me. I'm scheduled on the Freedom next month and I told my signifcant other that I would be perfectly happy to just spend a couple of hours at the pool and get a nice nap everyday. Lack of proper A/C is always a major concern for me.

I work in a cubicle and I run a desk fan year-round and the young lady across the aisle from me usually has her little floor heater going (even in the Summer) as she is skinny and very "cold natured". We always joke that the "perfect storm" should form between our two cubicles. :D

Bottom line is that temperature level is not a one size fits all proposition, so a pox on all of you who think just because you can sleep in 90 degrees gives you the right to determine that the rest of us should be comfortable at that temperature. Where on earth is your common sense? :confused:

I suspect if your room was stuck at 60 degrees the entire time you would consider it a nightmare trip as well (even though I think it's much easier to bundle up and get warm than cool down). But let's just say it's an Alaskan cruise. Would you say, "oh, I live in an igloo and can sleep like a baby in much lower temps than that, just deal with it"?

It's a very valid complaint and for the prices we pay to RELAX, we should be able to control the temp in the room to reasonable levels. 78 is not reasonable for me when it come to getting some sleep. It's the year 2009, not 1809. We are accustomed to climate controlled shelter and there is nothing wrong with expecting that on a cruise (no matter what cabin you book).

I knew I liked you!

Hell no camping here either! I need all the ameneties you listed plus room service!.. if that's high maintenance than I will gladly wear that title!!!:D

Archived