Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

to the OP- this morning at 4:30am i thought about you as my darn electricity went out this morning. The whole neighborhood was out. My ceiling fan stopped and the heat began. Even dh who is always cold was hot-lol! My 1st thought i cant be in a hot cabin without feeling suffercating -yuck! Trying to sleep in the heat is awful!

You can hope that the cabin will get cooler. You can hope that they will move you to another cabin. But if the reality is that's not going to happen, then it's up to YOU to make a plan to deal with it.

Oh believe me.....if it was me....hope would have nothing to do with it..........it will happen;)

We keep our house at 78-80 in the summer, even with the South Florida humidity. It's really not so bad. I understand some people prefer to be cooler, but a temperature reading of 77-79 is really not that uncomforable, especially if you take a cold shower before bed, and blow a fan directly on your legs and feet (which is how your body cools itself). I certainly would not consider it a NIGHTMARE, or something that would ruin a vacation.

LOL...Take a cold shower? blow a fan on your legs and feet?...I thought this post was a joke until I read your others...but I am glad that you do "understand" that some people like it cooler...thanks for letting us have an opinion.

Iv never had trouble cooling off a inside or OV cabin. How in the world is a balcony going to be cooler in the middle of the summer?? Its way hotter outside than I want my cabin. I think the OP should have had a working a/c period. No excuses.

I knew the cheerleaders would be out en force defending carnival, but some of this is so ridiculous.

Cheerleader thats a real laugh! If you check my post i'm about the farest thing away from a cheerleader you can find! I just said that a Balcony room with a breeze of fresh air would obviously be more comfortable than a inside room? Why do you think they charge more for these rooms .

Just face it, it's another reason to think twice about taking a cruise vacation when obviously if this happened on a land vacation you could likely change rooms a lot easlier or at least LEAVE!! and get your money back.

Besides cruise vacations are not that great of value compared to a all inclusive land vacation that offers you free drinks to boot. NOW does that sound like i'm a cruise CHEERLEADER!! Give your head a big shake

I just said that a Balcony room with a breeze of fresh air would obviously be more comfortable than a inside room? Why do you think they charge more for these rooms .

Generally, on a Carribean cruise, or anything approaching the equator, the balcony rooms are more likely to be a bit warmer than the others. Why you can go out for non-ventilated air, it is air that is, more than likely, at a higher temperature and a higher humidity than the air inside. Every time you walk out the door, some of that thermal energy moves from outside to inside. Also, because lots of people like to be able to see outside, even if they aren't going outside, the drapes are open.

I couldn't say for sure, but if I had to guess, barring any real problems with the AC unit, I'd guess that the interior rooms are the ones that can be made the coolest. But, like I said, that would be pure conjecture.

We keep our house at 79 degrees in the summer. Sometimes 80, because we like it that way. Anything cooler than that and we are cold.

If I had to stay in a cabin with a temperature of 75 I would have to have long sleeve shirts and possibly a jacket. Anything cooler than that might require long johns.

I am very thin so maybe do not have insulation.

MexicoBob

Every cabin has them for a reason. Different people like different temperatures. Instead of citing "Carnival Standard Temperature Range" the engineers should be making sure thermostats work per design specification.

IMO, a cabin that is stuck on too cold is better than too hot (at least in a ship sailing in hot areas). The occupant can always stop up the air vent in that situation. (Another use for duct tape ;) )

Yeah...I'm totally with the group that thinks a hot room would have ruined my vacation, too. There's no way I could sleep in a 77 degree room.

And for all you guys who said camping is roughing it and this "problem" of the OP's was no big deal: I own a camper and we camp every year. The big difference is that I don't pay 4000 dollar PER TRIP to camp for 7 days. When I pay that kind of money, YES I EXPECT everything to work properly and any problem that I have to be taken care of to MY satisfaction. Not anyone else's, not what anyone else would like, or what they deem acceptable....but, what I deem acceptable. I paid for a service and yes, I do expect to get it.

Saying that they shouldn't be upset is like saying that it's OK to buy a car that you thought everything was working properly on, but now the A/C doesn't work, and you should just suck it up and deal. After all....everything else works and why should no A/C ruin your enjoyment of your new car? It's just a dumb thing to say and we have every right as paying clients to expect things to ruin well, smoothly and to our liking.

I'm not saying nothing will go wrong, but there's nothing wrong with expecting those things to be fixed in a timely manner and to the satisfaction of the paying customer.

Little things like a slightly warmer room or noises coming from the lounge would not change my view of my vacation.

My lifestyle right now consists of 18 hour work days and 4 hours of sleep at all hours of the day or night. Instances like what the OP posted would not send me into a whirlwind or a crying fit.

I don't expect a vacation to be perfect - especially not a cruise. !

I live alone and not working, and used to having the temperature setting what I want and eating what I want. I lost electricity a month or so ago and had to sleep at my parents in this Texas heat, couldnt sleep over here. I was so uncomfortable and hot at their higher temp settings, I was so glad to finally get back in my own place where I could turn down the a/c temperature.

Thats one of the things I would mind, if I couldnt get my cabin cooled off.

I have been reading your review with great interest because we cruised the Glory when it was new and it was one of our worst cruises ever...mainly because of the Purser's Desk and the Hotel Manager. Yes, changing cabins sounds good...but they don't like to do it, and they will make you suffer for doing it. (I went through our experiences in a review many years ago, don't want to go into it all again here.)

Anyway, I have been thinking of giving the Glory another try because I had hoped they had fixed some of their problems, maybe they have not.

As for the temperature being a personal thing, we live in Arizona and we usually have our A/C set at 82 and I get COLD at night. When I am traveling to other parts of the country I am amazed at how cold people live in the south and midwest! It must be the humidity.

I really think there are three things that can make or break a good ship, Hotel Manager, Cruise Director and Captain...in that order. If those three people are good everything else falls into place.

Thank you for your review. I might still give the Glory another try if the deal is there, if I do I will write another review.

I would think twice about revisiting the Glory. We just got back yesterday on our second trip on it. This is our 5th Carnival Cruise and it will probably be our last. It wasn't any one big thing like the Air Conditioning, but a LOT of little things that just weren't like they should have been. It was mainly the service was very lacking.

For instance, receiving room service for cereal with no bowl and no utensils. Drinks like tea and juice that weren't refilled and we basically had to flag people down to get them refilled many times. I agree with the other poster about Ryan too. He was somewhat annoying and very young. We are fairly easy to please, but there was just an overall level of lacking in service. It was our wedding anniversary and we called the Pursars desk (told they don't handle that), called Dining Services (no answer), told the waiter, and he still FORGOT it. I tried to think it didn't matter, but it did.

We have sailed Royal Caribbean twice, Holland America once, and Carnival five times, always recommending Carnival to our friends. After speaking with many, many passengers this trip who have sailed other lines, we are considering Royal Caribbean again for our next cruise, mainly because of the service. We love Carnival, but I wouldn't go on the Glory again and probably will try something different next cruise.

No disrespect intended--to the poster who asked if they were the only ones who would pitch a tent and roast marshmellows...etc Yes you are...lol--Rowan55- I agree with you totally and I was a girl scout leader for over 5 years!! lol I always "volunteered" to be the leader to go back home at night to be the emergency call person ..lol

Sorry LorriB, but I agree - that is by no means roughing it!:D

Am I the only person on here who will set up a tent on the dunes in Virginia Beach and roast marshmallows with the boys over the campfire? Come on...where are all those boy scouts!

In place of cruising?

I just said that a Balcony room with a breeze of fresh air would obviously be more comfortable than a inside room? Why do you think they charge more for these rooms .

The coolest rooms have always been interior rooms, in our experience. The windows let sun/heat in, and the balcony doors let even more sun/heat in. Unless you're going to Alaska, you're not choosing a balcony cabin for the temperature.

The coolest rooms have always been interior rooms, in our experience. The windows let sun/heat in, and the balcony doors let even more sun/heat in. Unless you're going to Alaska, you're not choosing a balcony cabin for the temperature.

You're absolutely correct here. We always book balconies, but never because of temperature, breeze etc.

we just got back from the glory, we had a 6c room , it was wonderful, i didn't want to leave the cruise, ryan SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKED wanted to strangle him every time he talked. loved most everything else

Welcome Back! Glad you had an awesome time!

It's funny to me (though entirely subjective) how many people feel like that about Ryan. Sad part is, I doubt he'll ever know. Maybe someday someone he respects will sit him down and tell him he doesn't have to talk to hear himself, and he doesn't always HAVE to have the answer.

Our balcony cabin (1027) on the Glory last week was freezing. Brrrrrrrr. Kept the thermostat in the RED area the whole week and that was the whole family's opinion...not just us 50 year olds.

Welcome Back! Glad you had an awesome time!

It's funny to me (though entirely subjective) how many people feel like that about Ryan. Sad part is, I doubt he'll ever know. Maybe someday someone he respects will sit him down and tell him he doesn't have to talk to hear himself, and he doesn't always HAVE to have the answer.

I think he'll mature with time. He's very young to be a cruise director in my opinion. He seems nice enough. I'm sure it's a heady thing to be a cruise director. His "disembarkation" talk sent us out the door. Just too much talk, talk, talk and not enough "This is what you need to know."

I loved the Glory and I am very sorry to hear that you had troubles on your hard earned vacation. I think that a vacation with a tired 3 year old would be no vacation at all and I think they should be prepared for emergencies such as this. Meaning... stock nice well kept fans not ones with broken blades..those should be recycled. The availability of a new room is probably very rare.... so fans should be provided. As well as a heaping dose of compassion!

This Feb. 28th will be our second go round with the Glory and I hope that the crew and Ryan will have settled in by then... Butch Begovich was pretty awesome !!

Jen

Archived