Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

That was my only complaint from my May 31st sailing on the Glory. It was so hot in our cabin. It would get some cooler at night. I like to sleep under the cover. We were all sleeping on top of the covers. I took cold showers in the evening to cool off. I will be bringing a larger fan with me on the Holiday in October. I had only brought a 4 inch fan on the Glory for noise. It did provide a very small breeze which mostly helped our feelings. I had looked so forward to a cool room since my husband is cold natured and wasn't with us. As it was I was more hot on board than at home...Everything else was lovely!

Excellent point! I'm thinking the cruise line has figured out that cooling costs money and that it's not money well spent to cool rooms to the 60's when 99% of the passengers are comfortable in the high 70s.

Okay, my poll has been up for several days and has had 400 responses Less than 10% of people like temps above 75%. Just felt the address this statement with a bit of empirical evidence.

Okay, my poll has been up for several days and has had 400 responses Less than 10% of people like temps above 75%. Just felt the address this statement with a bit of empirical evidence.

Where is this poll? I haven't seen it and definitely need to vote on that one.

If my DH was on this board he would be thanking everyone who disliked camping. Camping is how I vacationed as a child. When we got married I assumed that everyone camped (everyone with limited funds like my whole extended family). Three years my DH tried but he was so miserable. Wanted to know why he had to punish himself on vacation. Why anyone thought it was fun to use restrooms, sleep on the ground, sweat, and shower in strange bathrooms. The only thing camping vacations ever did for him was make him glad he had to go back to work.

I knew I liked you!

Hell no camping here either! I need all the ameneties you listed plus room service!.. if that's high maintenance than I will gladly wear that title!!!:D

Ya'll don't camp the way we camp - 30 yards from the surf line on South Padre. No tent fly so sleep under the stars.

Now are packinglist for a one night camping trip is even more ridiculous than our cruise packing list.. it includes two full size roll-away beds and a coffee pot.

yeah, we used to like camping ..........Katrina washed away our camper and then after spending 19 months in a fema trailer in the front yard...........we agreed .........no more campers for us :eek:

I have coworkers who lived on the cruise ship in Baton Rouge after Katrina....and they will never get on a cruise ship now! :(

We keep our house at 78-80 in the summer, even with the South Florida humidity. It's really not so bad. I understand some people prefer to be cooler, but a temperature reading of 77-79 is really not that uncomforable, especially if you take a cold shower before bed, and blow a fan directly on your legs and feet (which is how your body cools itself). I certainly would not consider it a NIGHTMARE, or something that would ruin a vacation.

I certainly would not consider it a NIGHTMARE, or something that would ruin a vacation.

Not being able to sleep for a week? I would certainly consider that a nightmare.

The room was too hot for the OP and his family (including a 3 year old) to sleep...that is a nightmare.

Not being able to sleep for a week? I would certainly consider that a nightmare.

The room was too hot for the OP and his family (including a 3 year old) to sleep...that is a nightmare.

People all over the world sleep just fine at 77 degrees (and have for millions of years).

We keep our house at 78-80 in the summer, even with the South Florida humidity. It's really not so bad. I understand some people prefer to be cooler, but a temperature reading of 77-79 is really not that uncomforable, especially if you take a cold shower before bed, and blow a fan directly on your legs and feet (which is how your body cools itself). I certainly would not consider it a NIGHTMARE, or something that would ruin a vacation.

Just explain all that to a 3 year old, should be fine...

People all over the world sleep just fine at 77 degrees (and have for millions of years).

People all over the world use outdoor plumbing and have for millions of years. I don't and that is all that matters to ME when I am on MY vacation.

Millions of people all over the world live in utter poverty with no food to eat and no roof over their heads - that doesn't mean we should strive for that level of discomfort on our vacations, does it? Your statement has no merit in this discussion.

For me 77 is pretty cool, I would have no problem sleeping. Get it down to 70, or 68 I am freezing and can't sleep unless the blanket is over my head. So it is all relative. Being that the OP found so many positive things about the cruise, I am not real clear why it was a NIGHTMARE?? But that is just me, the cold one.:rolleyes:

For me 77 is pretty cool, I would have no problem sleeping. Get it down to 70, or 68 I am freezing and can't sleep unless the blanket is over my head. So it is all relative. Being that the OP found so many positive things about the cruise, I am not real clear why it was a NIGHTMARE?? But that is just me, the cold one.:rolleyes:

I could go on a cruise where every single other thing was PERFECT, but it was 78 to 80 degrees all the time in my cabin, and that would qualify as a nightmare to ME. If I can't get any sleep and I'm lying in bed sweating, and my son is coughing and having asthma flare-ups, it really won't matter how phenomenal everything else on the cruise is - we'll be too sick and tired to care!

Psssttt .... that's not *roughing* it. I've stayed at Days Inns that weren't that nice. :p

Sorry LorriB, but I agree - that is by no means roughing it!:D

Am I the only person on here who will set up a tent on the dunes in Virginia Beach and roast marshmallows with the boys over the campfire? Come on...where are all those boy scouts!

Sorry LorriB, but I agree - that is by no means roughing it!:D

Am I the only person on here who will set up a tent on the dunes in Virginia Beach and roast marshmallows with the boys over the campfire? Come on...where are all those boy scouts!

No camping fan here.

My ex liked to camp. I was reduced to tears on more than one occasion.

When my DH and I got together, I told him I would never, ever, EVER in a million years EVER go camping again.

I hear he has tents, sleeping bags and the like in our garage. I've never seen them, and he's much too smart to ever make the suggestion.

My view of a vacation in VB is right where I am now: in a condo, with a balcony overlooking the beach.

I grew up camping in a 30 ft. camper, that was climate controlled and had its own bathroom facilities including shower.

I got to enjoy a campfire and sleep comfortably.

Nowadays I will take a nice hotel or cruise ship thank you very much!

We had a few problems last year on the Sensation. My wife and i went on it just for a mini vacation. The trip began very badly and it wasnt Carnivals fault at all.

First, we forgot our birth certificates.

Second, we got laid up at ATL airport for 7 1/2 hours due to a storm and our original flight to MCO had already left when we got to ATL. Luckily it was all the night before embark.

We get on the ship and during the CD speach, we were told that due to it being Good Friday, nothing on Nassau would be open. Kinda got mad at that!

Then they were doing repairs on the ship while we were aboard (ie... replacing carpeting on the whole ship, electric repair on the atrium elevators)

We contacted pursers desk to file a complaint on the issue. A week after we returned home, we received a letter from Carnival that we would receive a $100 credit next time we cruised.

We are going again on September 5th on the Glory...

Some do, some don't, what's your point?

The point is that sometimes in life, it's necessary to face reality....the universe as it presents itself.

You can hope that the cabin will get cooler. You can hope that they will move you to another cabin. But if the reality is that's not going to happen, then it's up to YOU to make a plan to deal with it.

There ARE ways to deal with 77 degree temperatures. People do it all the time (and not just poor people).

If you are seriously going to let a temperature of 77 degrees ruin a vacation, then perhaps a vacation away from home is not for this person.

There ARE ways to deal with 77 degree temperatures. People do it all the time (and not just poor people).

My way to deal with it would have been to let the purser know that they could find me a cooler cabin or fly me home at the first port.

If you are seriously going to let a temperature of 77 degrees ruin a vacation, then perhaps a vacation away from home is not for this person.

This is ABSURD beyond belief. I take vacations away from home 4 or 5 times a year and have NEVER encountered a 77 degree room that couldn't be made cooler. If I was to encounter such a thing, it would be intolerable and unacceptable - this doesn't mean I need to stay home - it means the situation needs to be handled by those in authority quickly in order to assure my comfort as a paying customer.

Archived