Glory 7/11 - NIGHTMARE - My Review

jas1178

Just a side note...and clearly just "personal opinion"....we have gotten the chance to know Ryan and he is really a likeable young man.

He is "new" and I do think that he will mellow with age.

Perhaps if he cut the announcements in half!!

:cool:

I would think twice about revisiting the Glory. We just got back yesterday on our second trip on it. This is our 5th Carnival Cruise and it will probably be our last. It wasn't any one big thing like the Air Conditioning, but a LOT of little things that just weren't like they should have been. It was mainly the service was very lacking.

For instance, receiving room service for cereal with no bowl and no utensils. Drinks like tea and juice that weren't refilled and we basically had to flag people down to get them refilled many times. I agree with the other poster about Ryan too. He was somewhat annoying and very young. We are fairly easy to please, but there was just an overall level of lacking in service. It was our wedding anniversary and we called the Pursars desk (told they don't handle that), called Dining Services (no answer), told the waiter, and he still FORGOT it. I tried to think it didn't matter, but it did.

We have sailed Royal Caribbean twice, Holland America once, and Carnival five times, always recommending Carnival to our friends. After speaking with many, many passengers this trip who have sailed other lines, we are considering Royal Caribbean again for our next cruise, mainly because of the service. We love Carnival, but I wouldn't go on the Glory again and probably will try something different next cruise.

We sailed on the Glory over 4th of July and it was wonderful! I didn't find any of the things you mentioned. It always amazes me how the same ship can be so different from week to week! We had wonderful service including room service and our room was actually too cold for me (not for hubby) we had a cat 11 and loved the warm breeze from the balcony.

I am sorry your experience was not great but I would recommend the Glory any time!

Tam

We had similar issues on Conquest in June.

I live with a very 'conservative' (he prefers this term to stingy) husband who keeps our home a/c on 80. No matter where we go on vacation, my first action is to crank the air down as low as it can go. That's what a vacation means, to me. We have pictures of our family in a condo at South Padre and everyone is sitting around wrapped up in a blanket :rolleyes:. I don't care where we are or what we're doing, as long as it's cool.

A tornado came through our area the week before our cruise in June. Although we didn't have any major damage at our house, we were without power and water for several days. All I could think was how great it was going to be on our cruise in the nice cold cabin.

We never could get our cabin on Conquest cool enough. We were in Verandah balcony 8323. Our girls were across the hall in 8325, and their cabin was even hotter. We did talk to the room steward- no luck; went to the pursers desk- they sent someone who said the air was set as low as it could be and that was that. No cooler. We didn't let it ruin our vacation, but it was very much a disappointment.

And yes, of course there are billions of people who are suffering from terrible living conditions, but we did shell out quite a bit of cash for the cruise, and we expected to at least be comfortable.

We had similar issues on Conquest in June.

And yes, of course there are billions of people who are suffering from terrible living conditions, but we did shell out quite a bit of cash for the cruise, and we expected to at least be comfortable.

I totally agree. If I planned on visiting third world countries I would have a completely different expectation for my vacation. But when I chose to have a luxury vacation I expect my sleeping accomodations to be at the minimum comfortable.

It's amazing to me how utterly spoiled we Americans are. :D

I'm not seeing spoiled here at all. "We Americans" probably get less vacation time than other countries. I know I work 60-70 hours a week at a VERY STRESSFUL job. I take two vacations a year. One vacation I rent a large house and host my 4 children, their spouses, my grandchildren, and othe family members. I cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for up to 24 people probably 5 out of 7 days. I call it my working vacation.

Our second vacation is a yearly cruise. That is my "Cathy" vacation. For the money we pay I could take a couple of mini vacations but I chose to take one luxury vacation.

I don't think it is spoiled to expect to receive value for my dollar. No more no less. I don't expect that I should be treated any better or differently than anyone else. I am not asking for anything special or expecting to be treated like royalty.

I work in customer service. I believe the companies without competition must provide a higher level of customer service. When the customer has no where else to go you must work twice as hard to meet their needs. That is how I feel about my room accomodations on a ship. I can't go to the front desk and say "check me out my room is too warm, too noisy, too smelly". For all other aspects of a cruise there are options. Find some where else to eat, get a chair in a different spot, avoid the pool, don't go to the shows, etc. But you have no option for avoiding your room.

So whether I am British, American, Russian, Africian, etc my accomodations should be at the least comfortable to ME.

I can't even fathom the notion of someone setting their thermostat at 78 in the summer. Being from North Dakota, I set mine at 69. I lived for a time in Cancun, and had a clause in my rental contract that I would not pay rent for any time my A/C was broken. I figured that would force a quick repair, which it did. I would be livid if I payed for a cruise and the temp in the cabin wouldn't go lower than 74.

I can't even fathom the notion of someone setting their thermostat at 78 in the summer. Being from North Dakota, I set mine at 69. I lived for a time in Cancun, and had a clause in my rental contract that I would not pay rent for any time my A/C was broken. I figured that would force a quick repair, which it did. I would be livid if I payed for a cruise and the temp in the cabin wouldn't go lower than 74.

After my many posts in this thread, I woke up to a non-functioning central a/c yesterday morning. I had a horrible night and thought I was getting sick because I kept tossing and turning, and I was sweating during the night. My son woke up coughing his head off. We then realized that while the a/c sounded like it was on, the compressor was not working. It was 84 degrees in the house. We did get the a/c going again by lunchtime, but even with the fans all going, it was miserable all over the house. I stand by my statement that I would NOT put up with conditions like that on a cruise, or any other, vacation. It was bad enough at home where we have access to ceiling fans - I can't imagine trying to sleep like that in an enclosed cabin on a cruise ship.

If you dislike hot cabins, I suggest steering clear of Crown Princess. We were about mid ship with a balcony, 9th deck if I recall, and our cabin was HOT. The engineer came to check and said it was 78, and said that was what the cabin was designed to be. We cooked for 9 days! Princess did give us $125 each toward a future cruise but we also had some personnel complaints (please don't get me wrong, I am not a complainer). Oh yeah, they also sent us some chocolate strawberries, but they molded. Seriously! We slept with our balcony door open so at least we could feel air circulating. We used the credit on a Caribbean Princess 4 day which was comfortable (it was a backward facing balcony). Apparently it has a lot to do with where the cabin is located, but ----give me air

I've had a few people ask for an update...

As of this evening, I haven't received a response from Carnival. I realize that responses from a big cooperations take time, the downside of course, is it just gives more time for the wounds to fester. I really believe that Carnival will make this right.

Either way, I'll post a final follow-up to this thread.

Thanks for reading...

I've had a few people ask for an update...

As of this evening, I haven't received a response from Carnival. I realize that responses from a big cooperations take time, the downside of course, is it just gives more time for the wounds to fester. I really believe that Carnival will make this right.

Either way, I'll post a final follow-up to this thread.

Thanks for reading...

I have seen your comments on John Heald's blog. John is pretty good at getting to the bottom of things. He if not anything else will give you an answer and try to make things right and put wheels in motion to try to see if Carnival can do respond to issues like this better.

I want to thank you about your post, because now I am thinking what things I might be able to do make things a bit cooler in our room until we could be moved hopefully. I know we shouldn't have to resort to these but to be a bit more in control of the situation and until something can or will be done?

From your's, others comments and my thoughts for cooling staterooms or minimizing heat in staterooms:

1) Keep drapes closed

2) Take showers in the spa/gym area

3) Ask for a fan (Tip - Ask Housekeeping for a plastic tub full of ice to place in front of the fan. The evaporation of the water will cool the air a bit more). Two fans are better than one to get the air really moving! :D

4) Another tip...you can wet the sheets with water spin them in the coin operated washing machines and sleep only with the wet sheets - it will make you feel cooler.

5) Have the TV unplugged - it produces heat! Even when off - Today's TV's go into a sleep mode for quick startup:eek: LCD Panels tend to be cooler but still produce some heat.

6) If in a balcony stateroom, wedge door open if you can get a breeze in the evening.

7) take a cool shower before going to bed to cool your core temperature

8) sleep nude - if possible! :) :eek: :D :cool:

9) Keep positive like the OP

10) Keep visiting Guest Services like the OP

Good Luck with hopefully some responses from Carnival. I see that other cruise lines have had similar complaints occasionally but you are owed a response with some type of indication of what the line is trying to do to avoid this in the future as well as offer you some reasonable compensation and again this has nothing to do with who is comfortable with what temperature. You and all of the passengers have an expectation to be able to set our room temperatures according to that wonderful thermostat on the wall. If it is not working and they cannot fix it, you are owed some compensation.

If you dislike hot cabins, I suggest steering clear of Crown Princess. We were about mid ship with a balcony, 9th deck if I recall, and our cabin was HOT. The engineer came to check and said it was 78, and said that was what the cabin was designed to be. We cooked for 9 days! Princess did give us $125 each toward a future cruise but we also had some personnel complaints (please don't get me wrong, I am not a complainer). Oh yeah, they also sent us some chocolate strawberries, but they molded. Seriously! We slept with our balcony door open so at least we could feel air circulating. We used the credit on a Caribbean Princess 4 day which was comfortable (it was a backward facing balcony). Apparently it has a lot to do with where the cabin is located, but ----give me air

Oh puuuleez........this could happen on any ship on any line........we sailed midship balcony cabin on the Crown and it was our best cruise to date..........not a problem with air.....infact we book midship balcony on most every ship we sail......

But I see you did get a comp from Princess;)

From your's, others comments and my thoughts for cooling staterooms or minimizing heat in staterooms:

3) Ask for a fan (Tip - Ask Housekeeping for a plastic tub full of ice to place in front of the fan. The evaporation of the water will cool the air a bit more). Two fans are better than one to get the air really moving! :D

Wow....Wish I had though about that...could have asked for one of the blocks of ice they use for ice sculpting! Airconditioning circa 1900!!!!

Seriously - Love it, made me laugh!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone that Carnival DID make good on this.

Dear JAS1178,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us following your recent cruise aboard the CARNIVAL GLORY.

We extend our sincere apologies for any discomfort you and your family experienced due to the air conditioning problems encountered in your cabin. Please be assured, we do realize one of the most important aspects of our guests' cruise vacation is the time spent relaxing; therefore, we are sorry to note your disappointment in this regard.

Please know that our priority is to retain your patronage, and to ensure that any concerns brought forth are corrected in a timely and appropriate manner. Our records show that in an attempt to resolve this manner, the onboard staff provided you and your family with an alternate cabin assignment. While we are pleased to note of our staff's efforts to properly address this issue, it is disheartening for us to learn you were also inconvenienced due to the noise encountered in that cabin. Upono further review of the situation, enclosed please find Carnival's check for $xxx.xx which represents a xxxxxx percent refund of your cruise fare.

Mr. JAS1178, please accept our sincerest apologies as we are committed to excellence and to continue making Carnival vacations fun and memorable for all guests. Thank you again for choosing Carnival. We hope you allow us an opportunity to welcome you and your family back.

Sincerely,

Laura Adams

Guest Care

guestcare@carnival.com

ENCLOSURE

I decided as I was posting this, that I would remove the exact details of the compensation, as I think it could be used for ill.

I was VERY surprised at the fact they compensated with a check versus a future cruise credit. The compensation is a small amount, but in my mind, was a reasonable settlement. The only thing that could have been better, would be if this remedy had been offered on board, and then this thread likely would never have happened.

This will close my grievance with Carnival, as they have made it right. It is time to move on, and count down the days until my next return to the sea...

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread...I am amazed at the traffic this thread saw. Hopefully, they will address the chronic AC issue which since returning I have become fully aware of when they go into drydock.

Thank you....and Good Night!

I decided as I was posting this, that I would remove the exact details of the compensation, as I think it could be used for ill.

I was VERY surprised at the fact they compensated with a check versus a future cruise credit. The compensation is a small amount, but in my mind, was a reasonable settlement. The only thing that could have been better, would be if this remedy had been offered on board, and then this thread likely would never have happened.

This will close my grievance with Carnival, as they have made it right. It is time to move on, and count down the days until my next return to the sea...

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread...I am amazed at the traffic this thread saw. Hopefully, they will address the chronic AC issue which since returning I have become fully aware of when they go into drydock.

That is a great letter, no excuses, no passing the buck and obviously you feel they sent a reasonable $ consideration for all your problems. They have gone way up in my estimation . Every business owner should read that...

That is a great letter, no excuses, no passing the buck and obviously you feel they sent a reasonable $ consideration for all your problems. They have gone way up in my estimation . Every business owner should read that...

I agree whole heartedly. The only detail that wasn't exactly expressed was the time it took to provide the replacement room.

Don't get me wrong, this was not a large refund...but that isn't the point. The point is they appologized, and provided a token settlement. I really didn't know what to expect or even ask for. So, with that I am happy that they did something...more than the original 5 rotten chocoate covered strawberries.

I can return to my Carnival Cheerleader role...once again.

In earlier years I would sleep in flannel pjs and blankets because my DH liked it COLD-now since the "change" has arrived I will hurt someone if my room is above 70 I want it COLD so a warm room would be a nightmare for me and anyone around me!! Your review was very good, I can tell you are not a whiner you just wanted what you paid for, a cool quiet room!!

Oh boy...that sounds just like what I'm going through now!! At bedtime I crank the a/c down to 65.

Great review.

My DH likes it 70 at night too. I've gotten used to it --as long as I have my down comfort!

BUT when I go on a cruise I expect a comfortable room. No, I feel entitled to a comfortable room at a comfortable temperature without extraneous outside noise. Apparently Carnival feels the same way after one gets their attention!

Ok, moving right along.

SATURDAY:

I mentioned that we walked into a warm cabin at 1:30 on embarkation day. Curtis reported it, and we closed the curtains, and he promised as soon as he finished vacumming he would close our door. The thermostat was set as low as it would go.

We came back about 3:30 to put my 3 year old down for a nap. My wife and I layed down while she went to sleep, and then started to unpack while she napped. It was VERY Hot. (Thinking 80-82 degrees with very little air flow)

That evening we stopped back after dinner, and it was a little cooler (think 79-80). Curtis checked on us, and called it in again.

By evening when we were ready to retire it was a little better 78ish. We have a small fan with us for "Light background Noise", which we turned on, and all went to bed tired.

Unfortunately, we tossed and turned, and really didn't sleep much. The temperature (which we felt got a bit warmer in the night). All the bed linens were, of course, on the floor. Clothing was as minimal as we could with a 3 year old in the room.

SUNDAY

Early the next morning, I stopped by the purser's desk and personally reported the problem. Within a few hours an engineer measured the temperature (His meter said 75.2) and he popped the cover and made sure the vent was fully open. He then indicated that he would have another engineer check the unit for our section, and would get back later that day. He commented "This is a big ship"..."This is the hottest area"..."We're headed into drydock in 6 months"

We went about our sea day hitting the activities. Mid afternoon we took our 3 year old for a nap, and again it was unbearable. I took our little fan in the doorway, and blew air in from the hall to help. This meant of course that one of us had to stay up. (though we were both tired from nearly no sleep the night before). The fan worked to a small extent.

Back down to the purser to see if they had a report back from the earlier activity. They did not, and dispatched another engineer immediately. This one took the temperature as 74 degrees. (Felt say 78) The purser called and indicated that this was within Carnival's 71-74 degree standard.

We dropped our little one to camp carnival and headed to the Captains Party (in the back 3 lounges) with Free Drinks but no food. After dinner and the show we picked up our little one and headed off to the room.

The room seemed ok (say 77-78 degrees). At this point we learned to keep the curtains closed all day, which helped a little. Unfortunately, we had NOT yet learned that showers were not a good idea. After my wife took a shower while I got our little one to bed, she opened the door...and it GOT HOT! I decided I would shower in the spa. While I was gone we ran the fan in the hall again.

Upon returning, it was very warm. Back to the purser's desk...to which we immediately had a temperature check. 74.8 The engineer still says he is going to try somethign. Follow up with purser indicates to let them know if there is further problems.

Needless to say, we had another uncomfortable night.

MONDAY:

Another trip to the purser's desk...another temperature check...more empty words. We walked off the ship in Cozumel for lunch and a little shopping. Back on board my wife, who is exausted breaks down balling in the room. I decide we have to do something. I beg the purser's desk for help. Purser indicates that the room measured 67 degrees this afternoon, I loose it. I let him know he was mistaken...other purser walks up and interveined. She agrees that was another guests room that was complaining it was to cold. I ask if there is any other room on the ship, and was told every other room was occupied. The purser noted we had a fan, and I stopped her indicating we would take another one....I was despirate. Nap time in the hurricane of two fans was not good. I tried the hall trick with one fan, but the hall was also warm.

My wife wrote a letter to the chief purser which she delivered (didn't realize this), I head back to the purser and for the first time utter the words "If the Vacation Guarantee still applied, I would be envoking it." I asked for phone calls from the Chief Purser AND Hotel Director. I gave them my pager number (I was wearing a ship pager for camp carnival).

Fast Forward to evening. We are still showering in the spa, attempting to get air from the hall, have two fans running, and I now have a mercury thermometer purchased in Cozumel hanging on the wall reading 79. Also include additional temperature checks throughout. That night we also added earplugs due to the loud hurricane of fans, a few close as possible, and all bedding off on the floor except one sheet (but if you cover with the sheet, the wind can't make you feel cooler....)

Again, with little to no sleep this night...we tossed, we turned, we prayed, we cryed.

CONTINUED SHORTLY....

Hahaha, Thanks to a HEATING MALFUNCTION in my office this past week, it was 97 degrees in my 5th floor office. (ie, no windows to open).

78 sounds awesome. :)

Thanks for coming back to tell us of the "finale" to your situation, so many threads never let us know how/if things were resolved :)

I am not a cheerleader, however I get tired of the one hit wonder "my cruise was horrible" posts..however YOUR thread was real and I feel your pain..I live in Florida too and I am used to having air conditioning. I am sorry to hear that you had to put up with that

I am glad to hear that Carnival did try to "do you right" and happy that you posted it

Here is hoping your next cruise (and mine) are great :)

Glad you are happy and happy that you didn't post the details...good moves, both on CCL's part and yours too :)

I went through almost the entire thread before making any comment. I enjoyed your review both positive and negitive sides it was very clearly presented. I especially enjoyed learning where everyone has their thermostat set at, I never could figure out what that had to do with your experiance? So I thought I would add some useless info to the thread as well. Right now it is 100 degrees outside my house:eek: My thermostat is set to 72 the humidity is 18%.

I sincerely hope the weather here has made you feel cooler? And I'm glad Carnival gave you compensation for your troubles. No mater what anyone else thinks this was about comfort and your expectations were all that mattered. Happy cruising ;)

• 2 years later...
I keep my a/c around 72ish during the summer and I live in hot Dallas. I wouldnt like it at 78 or 79 either. Anyone who says blanket statements like 99% would like it in the high 70s, must be in la la land to make such assumptions as if they know it to be true.

If anyone lived through the hellish summer of 2011 we in Texas just did, they'd understand. I keep my thermostat at 68-70 during the day but at night it has to be 66 or I can't sleep. Cruise ship, hotel, my own bedroom....it doesn't matter where I am...the sleeping temp must be 66 or below or it's a sleepless night for me.

Right now the temperature outside is 34 but I have my thermostat is set at 64. I can't stand to have hot air blowing on me when I'm trying to sleep.

I completely understand that we all have our own personal preferences regarding what is acceptable for room temps. Some like it warmer, some like it cooler. The themostats in the staterooms need to be functional enough to accommodate everyone's desires. Sometimes they are not and that causes uninhabitable circumstances. I get it.

I sincerely hope I never have to endure the temperature wars that OP had to endure. I would be miserable.

Archived