Itinerary Help - ATHENS or SANTORINI???

elaineb

I am still trying to choose between 2 cruises next October, NCL Gem or RCCL Splendour of the Seas. The main difference in the itineraries is the Gem goes to Santorini (4PM to 11PM) and the Splendour goes to Athens (12PM to 8PM). I am very torn and am looking to those with experience to help! Any comments/suggestions of the plus and minuses to the 2 ports and which would you chose? I'm leaning towards Santorini - is there a restaurant in which you can watch the sunrise?

Thanks for your help!

I am still trying to choose between 2 cruises next October, NCL Gem or RCCL Splendour of the Seas. The main difference in the itineraries is the Gem goes to Santorini (4PM to 11PM) and the Splendour goes to Athens (12PM to 8PM). I am very torn and am looking to those with experience to help! Any comments/suggestions of the plus and minuses to the 2 ports and which would you chose? I'm leaning towards Santorini - is there a restaurant in which you can watch the sunrise?

Thanks for your help!

HANDS down SANTORINI, Athens was ok but Santorini is the most beautiful, fun Island. Probably the most photographed island in the world. It is great. You can see the sunset from any restaurant on the West side of the island. You will love it. We did not care for the downtown area of Athens, just like any other town.

Having visited both twice in the last 10 months, and in spite of being a major museum/antiquities fan (and there are many great ones in Athens), Santorini simply is one of the most incredible places to visit on this earth.

It all depends on what you are most interested in. If you are interested in history and culture, then Athens would win hands down (in my opinion). What with having one of the most well-known historical sites in the world (the Acropolis) and a world-class archaeological museum, I would never pass it up.

But if beautiful sun-drenched scenery is your thing, then by all means choose Santorini. The hours for your stop aren't the greatest, but if you are interested in watching the sunset (I assume you meant that, rather than sunrise...), there are definitely places where you can do that.

Personally, I have very little interest in seeing Santorini until they reopen the archaeological site at Akrotiri. But that's just me, and it looks like my next cruise includes a stop there.

Cynthia, I do not know when you were last on Santorini, but the Museum of Prehistoric Thira in Fira near the bus station is a real gem of a museum, which I know you will want to visit if you have not been there previously.

I just hope that your cruiseship is not due in port on a Monday, when neither that Museum nor even the Ancient Thira sight are open to the public!:)

Pam

Cynthia, I do not know when you were last on Santorini, but the Museum of Prehistoric Thira in Fira near the bus station is a real gem of a museum, which I know you will want to visit if you have not been there previously.

I just hope that your cruiseship is not due in port on a Monday, when neither that Museum nor even the Ancient Thira sight are open to the public!:)

Pam

What can I say, I am a history nerd! I just got back from a trip to Seattle, and I took the fast clipper to Victoria BC for the day. We saw the beautiful Butchert Gardens -- did nothing for me. I couldn't wait to get back to town and go to the museum as I'd noticed they had a special exhibition on loan from the British Museum on "Ancient Cultures". (It was wonderful!) :o

Oops - I did mean sunset!:o I love both beautiful surroundings and soaking in museum exhibits. We did a land tour of Italy in 2006 - my DH was bored to tears in Pomepeii, I was in my glory (except for the explosive heat!). Sounds like the museum in Fira might be just the ticket. Thank you all for your comments.

This is a tough question, because they are so different. Athens is history and culture and the cradle of democracy. I don't think I could ever have missed going there.

But Santorini is light and sun and beauty and fills one spirit in yet another way. I smile just thinking about being there.

I've been fortunate to be on two trips which included both. Can you not find another cruise that would do the same.

Having visited both twice in the last 10 months, and in spite of being a major museum/antiquities fan (and there are many great ones in Athens), Santorini simply is one of the most incredible places to visit on this earth.

Akrotiri is there and has not reopened yet. They have a great museum from this site, which many say is the Lost City of Atlantis. There are many sites on the island of interest that are very old which are very interesting. We are going for our second time in Sept. and will be there approx. 11 hours. We can hardly wait. There are great island tours from local tour guides, but we are renting a car as we have done alot of research and have lots to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help!

Athens was probably my least favorite place I went to and Santorini was one my favorite places in Greece so I absolutely recommend Santorini over Athens. But that's just my opinion.

Athens is a place which has played a major part in Western Civilization. The antiquities in Athens are famous all over the world. The Acropolis is one of the world's premier sites. It is a place full of the history of philosophy, art and government. You will see things you have read about all your life.

Santorini is a place you can ride a mule up a hill.

Go to Athens!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

and

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

You do not have a enough time to spend in Athens in my opinion. Yes -- the antiquities are nice . . . . you'll also see tons of people, cars and graffiti.

Santorini is gorgeous. Visiting Oia is a must in Santorini (can take a local bus there very inexpensively). The sunset will be stunning from there. One of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life was approaching Santorini from the ship when it was dark -- it looks like lights suspended in air. You can't see the bottom of the mountain -- only the lights at the top. This is the view you would see as you leave this beautiful island.

Isn't it interesting how we vacation? Yes, history=Athens, ambiance=Santorini. Glad we could do both last month. We rented an atv in Santorini, and had fun scooting around the island with another cruise couple. In Athens we saw the amazing Acropolis. Sounds like you already decided on Santorini - you'll like it. It is a photographer's paradise, but if I hadn't done the atv thing, I would have been bored. I built it up more in my mind, so I wasn't that impressed, and it was toward the end of our 24 day cruise. I already had seem Navplion, Mykonos, Corfu...so it was another Greek island to me. Also, it was, as it had been almost every day, HOT! Another day with the tickly feeling of sweat dripping down my back. (So I loved the atv ride!) At another time of the year, the whole experience would have been different. I knew it would be hot but still had a wonderful vacation of a lifetime; however, next time I would love to go in spring or fall! I'd feel different about a lot of things. (I might even turn into a beach person - for one day, maybe! Or maybe not. (See Below.)

On the cruise, my dh & I figured there are two kinds of cruisers, basically (don't you just love generalities!), beach people & hotel people. Beach people go for the Lido buffets (they rarely eat anywhere else), the deck chairs, read lots of books (a cruise friend had read 7 books on our very port-intensive cruise!), and love to lounge. They basically LIVE on the Lido deck. Hotel people eat in the dining room, like to dress for dinner, have a coffee, see the shows, and are always on the move. Now there are lots of crossovers, of course, but we figured we're hotel people. We live in a warm area, dislike lying around sunbathing ???what is that???, reading (not me, anyway) - too much to see & do. Did deck chairs ONCE - when we were at a repeat port, and could actually find an empty hot tub, and no chair hogs or unsupervised children in sight! :D:D

Vive la difference!

My opinion is that you need much more time to see Athens than the time you are given. I was in Athens for 5 days and that was not even enough time to do it justice.

Do whatever you truly want to do, it is a long journey to get there.

if you book on Celebrity Solstice you won't have to make a choice--our itin goes to both ports...

For October of 2010, the ship is doing some Holy Land tour instead of the Med. However, maybe in May 2011 this would be an option? Of course, dates aren't posted out that far.

Penelope - I laughed at your Beach vs Hotel people. I guess we are more hotel people, but we do like an occasional beach day in the Caribbean. We live in RI with beautiful beaches within an easy drive, but don't even go. My DH won't swim in RI - says the water is too cold. He is right! We do love doing trivia, going to the shows and when on shore, hit the ground running.

Looks like it is a 50/50 opinion poll here. I think if we do the 7 day, it will be NCL so we can see Santorini. If Celebrity is back to the 10 night in May 2011, that seems like a good possiblity.

Thanks, all!

Thanks for your help!

If you want to see amazing historical sites then go to Athens. If you would rather see an incredible island go to Santorini...

Archived