Ultimate ship tour

rhsjr

And what are the things you get to take away from the tour, or is the $150 strictly for the experience?

My husband went on this and he received a lot of pictures, a bathrobe, a chef's coat, and personalize stationary.

And what are the things you get to take away from the tour, or is the $150 strictly for the experience?

When we took the tour we had no idea that any gifts were coming our way from Princess--sooooooo in our case our $150 was for the experience--but--we are very pleased with the unexpected gifts

Nancy:D

One of the things that makes the Ultimate Ship Tour special (besides all of the goodies is that in each area you visit), the tour is led by someone in charge of that area. (There is also a Cruise Staff person and a photographer with you at all times.) So in the Photo Lab, the manager of the photography talks to you; in the Bakery kitchen, the head pastry chef talks to you; in the provision rooms, the food and beverage manager talks to you; on the tour of the stack, the Staff Captain talks to you and on the bridge the Captain talks to you, etc. These are not quick little discussions, these are real in depth discussions about how it all works. During our visit to the print shop we asked if we could get a copy of the menus and within two hours a package of all of the menus from the cruise arrived in our stateroom. There were only 7 on our tour-4 of whom were engineers so we spent alot of time in the engine control room and on the bridge. Commodore Romano showed us all sorts of interesting information that they can see on their "radar" screens. He was wonderful. It really was the higlight of our trip. We also did Chef's Table and the Ultimate Ship Tour went to a different area of the kitchen on their tour so there was no redundancy. We learned new stuff in both places.

LindaandJeff,

I have been thinking these two onboard "excursions" would be so cool to do on the same voyage. One would really see the inner workings of a ship. I also want to see where the crew bunks, have never seen that. My husband will love the engineering and technology aspect.

I will be signing us up, I just hope they don't do these tours early AM, definitely not my thing on vacation.

Comfortcove

• 2 weeks later...

We did the UST on the Golden and we all loved it. We did NOT get to do the funnel not sure why. However, we did get to see the area where the anchor is. Does anyone one know what this area is called?? I am trying to scrapbook this and I can't remember wht they called this to save my life. Please help me...

Seems like a silly question, I Know, but is the robe really heavy terry cloth, or waffle weave cotton. We really need to pack light this time....always a challenge for me.

My husband would LOVE this tour

It's the heavy terrycloth robe. I had to leave it behind as there was no way I was schlepping it off the ship. I was on the same tour as Gertz, and we each received about 20 photos taken during our tour. One thing to be aware of is that you will be doing some climbing up ladders so it's not for the mobility-challenged. IMHO, it was well worth the $150.

I have been thinking these two onboard "excursions" would be so cool to do on the same voyage. One would really see the inner workings of a ship. I also want to see where the crew bunks, have never seen that. My husband will love the engineering and technology aspect.

I will be signing us up, I just hope they don't do these tours early AM, definitely not my thing on vacation.

They are not eary AM, so don't worry about that. Also, you will not see the crew quarters or their dining areas. You will see where they are and be told what sort of food they get, but not go into any of the cabins or private crew areas.

We did the UST on the Golden and we all loved it. We did NOT get to do the funnel not sure why. However, we did get to see the area where the anchor is. Does anyone one know what this area is called?? I am trying to scrapbook this and I can't remember wht they called this to save my life. Please help me...

Are you thinking of the Chain Locker? Also, the Hawsepipe is where the anchor chain runs out, and I might add, does all the rattling.:)

Hope this helps.

Are you thinking of the Chain Locker? Also, the Hawsepipe is where the anchor chain runs out, and I might add, does all the rattling.:)

Hope this helps.

Getting closer, what is that whole area called??? I only mentioned the anchor because that is the "main" thing there. But it is a huge area, I believe we were in the front of the ship.

Getting closer, what is that whole area called??? I only mentioned the anchor because that is the "main" thing there. But it is a huge area, I believe we were in the front of the ship.

The Forecastle, or Fo'c's'le. (Folk-Sul)

When I look that up it says it is an open deck and this isn't opend. It is inclosed. Here is the photo that was taken by the ship.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2846558020065147273wyMnFq

Couldn't open up your photo. But I do believe that you were in the Fo'c'stle, and it can have enclosed areas. The open area directly above may be called the Fo'c'stle Deck or the Fore Deck.

One of the things that makes the Ultimate Ship Tour special (besides all of the goodies is that in each area you visit), the tour is led by someone in charge of that area. (There is also a Cruise Staff person and a photographer with you at all times.) So in the Photo Lab, the manager of the photography talks to you; in the Bakery kitchen, the head pastry chef talks to you; in the provision rooms, the food and beverage manager talks to you; on the tour of the stack, the Staff Captain talks to you and on the bridge the Captain talks to you, etc. These are not quick little discussions, these are real in depth discussions about how it all works. During our visit to the print shop we asked if we could get a copy of the menus and within two hours a package of all of the menus from the cruise arrived in our stateroom. There were only 7 on our tour-4 of whom were engineers so we spent alot of time in the engine control room and on the bridge. Commodore Romano showed us all sorts of interesting information that they can see on their "radar" screens. He was wonderful. It really was the higlight of our trip. We also did Chef's Table and the Ultimate Ship Tour went to a different area of the kitchen on their tour so there was no redundancy. We learned new stuff in both places.

The above is a great summary of the UST. Also, I remember on the Grand last April we were presented with a flute of champagne and tuxedo chocolate strawberries in the galley. The tour there was much more extensive than the regular galley tour. We saw iceream being made, the freezer section, bread/rolls being prepared, enormous pots of soup being readied, etc. One interesting stop was to the laundry room. There being drycleaned was a dress I had sent to the laundry. It was fascinating seeing the napkins, table clothes being pressed with these amazing ironing machines. We truly appreciated the service of the laundry room workers who toil in that heated area.

I recommend everyone take an Ultimate Ship's tour at least once for the experience. And we appreciated all the gifts. But do be prepared to shrink wrap those robes.

You do it at the pursers desk and I would do it as soon as you board. I was told we had a large list and only 12 people were able to do it. We were the first to sign up. Our whole group enjoyed it. We ranged in age from 30 to 62. They gave us Snacks in the galley and at the bridge with drinks. We did not get to see the funnel. I would tell anyne who has not done it, to at least do it once. :D

Couldn't open up your photo. But I do believe that you were in the Fo'c'stle, and it can have enclosed areas. The open area directly above may be called the Fo'c'stle Deck or the Fore Deck.

You are absolutely correct and where the chain is stored is the Chain locker.

And yes Pam (lovely lady) and I and ten or twelve other people including two or three midships people (there were boys and girls) had a delightful time doing this UST on the Sapphire in April. Josh was our outstanding guide. And we have all the pictures for wonderful memories.

Jack a proud old USN Vet.

for the lovely and talented

• 4 weeks later...
I agree well worth the price. The robe pictures and other items you receive worth close to the price. Did it on the Sapphire in April Josh was the guide.

Jack

for the lovely

Thank you all for this info. DW and I have talked about doing this for the last couple of cruises and decided not to. With all this possitive info, we are goiing to see if we can go it while on the Emerald this fall...Thank YOU thank YOU thank YOU!!!:D

Thank you all for this info. DW and I have talked about doing this for the last couple of cruises and decided not to. With all this possitive info, we are goiing to see if we can go it while on the Emerald this fall...Thank YOU thank YOU thank YOU!!!:D

Make sure you sign up when you first board. We love our robes!!!

You are absolutely correct and where the chain is stored is the Chain locker.

And yes Pam (lovely lady) and I and ten or twelve other people including two or three midships people (there were boys and girls) had a delightful time doing this UST on the Sapphire in April. Josh was our outstanding guide. And we have all the pictures for wonderful memories.

Jack a proud old USN Vet.

for the lovely and talented

We were not allowed to take our own photos which sucked.

We have taken approx 20 cruises with Princess. I don't know if that helped our case or not, but we requested, and were granted, a visit to the bridge. We typed up a letter at home, addressed it to the captain, and handed it to the Purser's desk upon embarkation. Later, we received a written invitation from the Captain's secretary. It told us when and where to meet. She also called us the morning of the visit to confirm. We were traveling with our daughter and son-in-law, so included them on our request. They also received the invitation and phone call from the secretary. Still pictures were allowed, and the tour guide even took a couple of pics of the 4 of us, and of us with the Captain. However, we were told not to take any video. Granted, it's not the UST, but it was free, very informative, and very worth the 1.5 hrs or so. It was on an at-sea day on the Golden last summer in Alaska.

I signed up my husband as a surprise when we boarded the Ruby at noon in June. He was first on the list. A week later, I intercepted a letter of invitation from our mailbox outside our cabin and presented it to him on the sea day of the tour. He works at a dockyard and ships are his living but he was most impressed by the laundry! LOL! And, there's no way we were leaving the robe behind. Luxurious, not like the thin ones in the cabins. If you're bags are too full, mail them home!

The UST is drawn by lottery of the persons who sign up at the Purser's desk early in the cruise. I had really looked forward to this for my recent cruise. I was chosen and I started on the tour, but unfortunately I became very seasick during the tour and had to drop out. Princess was very gracious to me in their treatment of me about this (Thank you Boogie of the cruise staff for your consideration).

I found the parts of the tour I was able to complete to be both fun and fascinating. They had many staff and officers available to talk with us and I learned many things about the ship. Far better than some of the tourist port tours I have taken in the past. We were allowed to take photos in some areas but not in others, due probably to security. They were very open about telling us when to take pictures and when not to.

I will definitely sign up for the trip again next time I cruise, hopefully, I will be able to finish it then!

Archived