Ultimate ship tour

rhsjr

We have taken approx 20 cruises with Princess. I don't know if that helped our case or not, but we requested, and were granted, a visit to the bridge. We typed up a letter at home, addressed it to the captain, and handed it to the Purser's desk upon embarkation. Later, we received a written invitation from the Captain's secretary. It told us when and where to meet. She also called us the morning of the visit to confirm. We were traveling with our daughter and son-in-law, so included them on our request. They also received the invitation and phone call from the secretary. Still pictures were allowed, and the tour guide even took a couple of pics of the 4 of us, and of us with the Captain. However, we were told not to take any video. Granted, it's not the UST, but it was free, very informative, and very worth the 1.5 hrs or so. It was on an at-sea day on the Golden last summer in Alaska.

If you enjoyed this, you will absolutely love the UST.

We were lucky enough to be selected for the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Golden Princess a couple of weeks ago. We were the first to sign up, however we had to check back a few times to make sure we were still on the list as the original sign up sheet wasn't the correct one. Have to say I was thrilled that we were selected. There were only 12 selected and they told us over 30 had signed up. Our group was comprised of 9 men and 3 women.

We didn't receive the tote bags but we received everything else that has been mentioned. Not sure I'll ever wear the chef's jacket but I've been using the Princess robe everyday. We were told absolutely no photos so no one brought a camera. Nice that we received all the photos they took of our group throughout the tour. I was fascinated by the folding machines in the laundry. Wish I had one of those at home.

Have to say my favorite part of the tour was being on the bridge. While we were there, a whale breached! The captain said, "there's a button we push to make them do that". :D I could have spent the entire tour on the bridge, it was so cool! A bit spendy for two of us, but I loved all the goodies and pictures and the experience was one I'll always remember. Very glad we did this.

We are going on the Golden in a few weeks and this sounds great!! We are going with a group though that has designated gathering times. It would help if I had some idea of the day & times you had this tour so I can tell if it would work for us.

We are going on the Golden in a few weeks and this sounds great!! We are going with a group though that has designated gathering times. It would help if I had some idea of the day & times you had this tour so I can tell if it would work for us.

The Ultimate Ship Tour was offered once during our trip. It was on Friday, from 9AM-Noon. Hope this helps, and that you are able to go on the tour. You will love it!

They are not eary AM, so don't worry about that. Also, you will not see the crew quarters or their dining areas. You will see where they are and be told what sort of food they get, but not go into any of the cabins or private crew areas.

Pam do you remember what time it was and how long it lasted? I would love to do it with my DH on our upcoming Hawaii cruise, but would have to make sure it worked with the kids club hours for DD which are from 9 a.m. to Noon and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Was it within one of those time frames?

The Ultimate Ship Tour was offered once during our trip. It was on Friday, from 9AM-Noon. Hope this helps, and that you are able to go on the tour. You will love it!

Just saw this right after I placed my post. Thanks that is very helpful!

Pam do you remember what time it was and how long it lasted? I would love to do it with my DH on our upcoming Hawaii cruise, but would have to make sure it worked with the kids club hours for DD which are from 9 a.m. to Noon and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Was it within one of those time frames?

For us it was the last sea day at 10:00 am and it lasted 2-3 hours.

We bailed before the last stop (medical center) to make the CC M&G.

Ours was in the afternoon -- starting at 2:00 p.m. if memory serves -- and also on the last sea day. Our tour ended on the Bridge where we were allowed to stay for something like an hour, including champagne and canapes with the Captain and then a thorough tour and explanation of all stations and functions and an extensive Q & A session with the Senior crew members on the bridge at the time. VERY COOL! I still remember it fondly. :D

Ours was in the afternoon, starting at 2:00 p.m. if memory serves, and also on the last sea day. Our tour ended on the Bridge where we were allowed to stay for something like an hour, including champagne and canapes with the Captain and then a thorough tour and explanation of all stations and functions and an extensive Q & A session with the Senior crew members on the bridge at the time. VERY COOL! I still remember it fondly. :D

Ours was in the afternoon, starting at 2:00 p.m. if memory serves, and also on the last sea day. Our tour ended on the Bridge where we were allowed to stay for something like an hour, including champagne and canapes with the Captain and then a thorough tour and explanation of all stations and functions and an extensive Q & A session with the Senior crew members on the bridge at the time. VERY COOL! I still remember it fondly. :D

An hour on the bridge? I would have loved that! They served champagne and canapes during our tour of the galley. It was fun seeing all the places they prepare and store all the food. While we were on the bridge they offered us tea and some other drinks but I was too busy soaking it all in. Our tour ended in the medical center.

Perfect!! I was reading DH the thread and he is really excited to go. Only our 2nd time on Princess and weren't aware this tour was offered. We usually cruise RCI and I don't think they do this. Don't recall any tour of the kitchen either. Something else to look forward to!!

On my tour it was on the afternoon of the last sea day. Sign up early in the week at the purser's desk and they will notify you a couple of days later if you are selected. They will give you a letter with instructions on where to meet, what to wear, cameras, etc. I think this is an absolutely great tour for experienced cruisers too, who will see and learn things they never knew.

On my tour it was on the afternoon of the last sea day. Sign up early in the week at the purser's desk and they will notify you a couple of days later if you are selected. They will give you a letter with instructions on where to meet, what to wear, cameras, etc. I think this is an absolutely great tour for experienced cruisers too, who will see and learn things they never knew.

They didn't notify us until the day before the tour. I kept asking if we were on as we had a couples massage scheduled for Friday morning. We cancelled it in the hope that we would be selected to take the tour, and we were. I told my husband we can schedule a massage at home, but we can't take a ship tour at home.

What were you supposed to wear (or not wear)?

What were you supposed to wear (or not wear)?

The main thing is comfortable shoes. We did a lot of walking, and had to climb a couple of ladders to reach the funnel. I was glad I had a sweater on when we were in the freezers where they keep the meat.

Paul - It may only be advertised if they don't fill the tour. I just returned from the Coral on the 8/24 cruise. Knew about the UST from these boards but didn't see it in the Patter until Friday night. At that point they gave Saturday 12pm as the deadline to sign up and our tour was Sunday morning at 8am. We signed up as soon as we boarded the ship on 8/24. I checked on it a few days later and only four people total had signed up but by Sunday there were 10 people on the tour.

• 1 month later...

Back from the Golden. The UST was terrific and worth the cost! We signed up the minute we got on the ship. We checked back throughout the week and by day 4 there were about 30 people signed up. I'm guessing they must have taken more than one group on the UST. We were informed on day 5 that we were on it for day 6 and then only 10 of us showed up. It was the last sea day. The seas were 14 feet and pretty rough. We were told to wear non skid shoes and long trousers. I wore my big heavy coat and was way too hot as we never did go outside. Due to the rough sea we didn't get to go to the funnel, or the foc'sle as some here have. The tour was about 2 1/2 hours long. We didn't get into the areas where there was maintenance or plumbing. We did go backstage and under the stage, costume & prop room, thorough tour of galley and refrigerators, engine control room, print shop & photo lab, medical center and bridge. The bridge was the end of our tour. We were there about 30 minutes (with goodies to eat and drink). We got to wander around and it was fantastic being in rough seas and getting the view from the bridge! They had a beautiful red parrot on the bridge. We were told he has lived on the Golden for 7 years. He really performed for us and was very entertaining. The photog did a great job and we've enjoyed the pictures, robes, chef's jackets and stationary. If you are interested on the inner workings of a ship you won't be sorry. Worth the cost!

Back from the Golden. The UST was terrific and worth the cost! We signed up the minute we got on the ship. We checked back throughout the week and by day 4 there were about 30 people signed up. I'm guessing they must have taken more than one group on the UST. We were informed on day 5 that we were on it for day 6 and then only 10 of us showed up. It was the last sea day. The seas were 14 feet and pretty rough. We were told to wear non skid shoes and long trousers. I wore my big heavy coat and was way too hot as we never did go outside. Due to the rough sea we didn't get to go to the funnel, or the foc'sle as some here have. The tour was about 2 1/2 hours long. We didn't get into the areas where there was maintenance or plumbing. We did go backstage and under the stage, costume & prop room, thorough tour of galley and refrigerators, engine control room, print shop & photo lab, medical center and bridge. The bridge was the end of our tour. We were there about 30 minutes (with goodies to eat and drink). We got to wander around and it was fantastic being in rough seas and getting the view from the bridge! They had a beautiful red parrot on the bridge. We were told he has lived on the Golden for 7 years. He really performed for us and was very entertaining. The photog did a great job and we've enjoyed the pictures, robes, chef's jackets and stationary. If you are interested on the inner workings of a ship you won't be sorry. Worth the cost!

We did not get to do the funnnel in July. No idea why.

Do they do this on all of the Princess ships? I would love to do with when I take my parents on the New England/Canada cruise next fall. Are they normally when you would do a ship excursion in the ports or only on a sea day? I really don't want to miss the port tours but I would love to do this tour.

Any input would be great

TIA

Do they do this on all of the Princess ships? I would love to do with when I take my parents on the New England/Canada cruise next fall. Are they normally when you would do a ship excursion in the ports or only on a sea day? I really don't want to miss the port tours but I would love to do this tour.

Any input would be great

TIA

It's at least on all the larger ships (don't know about the R-class). Always done on a sea day.

Archived