Ultimate ship tour

rhsjr

You sign up at the Pursers desk. Go up to where the page numbers are and where it say Search this forum just put in Ultimate Ship Tour and all sorts of threads come up about this tour.

marilyn

I thought you signed up at the front desk when yout got on the ship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There are two types of tours. One is on the first day and is intended to familiarize passengers with the public rooms on the ship.

The other - the Ultimate Ship Tour, takes place during the cruise, usually on a sea day. It takes you behind the scenes to see the areas passengers don''t normally see. It costs $150/person.

I thought you signed up at the front desk when yout got on the ship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, sign up as soon as possible.

Some threads have said it is first come/first served and some have said it is a random drawing. Not sure which it may be, but it can't hurt to sign up ASAP.

Hi, I did the tour last week on the Grand. Sign up is at the pursers desk. Certainly last week it was first come first served, and they even went as far to say, you are 3rd to sign up so you will definately be on it...It ended up there were only 8 people on our tour.

You will get a totebag, a 'luxury' bathrobe (they charge about $70 for those if you buy them or 'accidentally' pack it in your luggage), a chefs jacket, several pictures (you are not allowed to take a camera) including one in the engine control room with chief technical officer, one on the bridge with the Captain, one on the main stage with production members and a couple of others as well. We also had canapes on the bridge, with drinks (alcohol and soft). In all it took almost 3.5 hours but we did ask lots of questions! It was VERY interesting and well worth the $150.

Hi, I did the tour last week on the Grand. Sign up is at the pursers desk. Certainly last week it was first come first served, and they even went as far to say, you are 3rd to sign up so you will definately be on it...It ended up there were only 8 people on our tour.

You will get a totebag, a 'luxury' bathrobe (they charge about $70 for those if you buy them or 'accidentally' pack it in your luggage), a chefs jacket, several pictures (you are not allowed to take a camera) including one in the engine control room with chief technical officer, one on the bridge with the Captain, one on the main stage with production members and a couple of others as well. We also had canapes on the bridge, with drinks (alcohol and soft). In all it took almost 3.5 hours but we did ask lots of questions! It was VERY interesting and well worth the $150.

I agree well worth the price. The robe pictures and other items you receive worth close to the price. Did it on the Sapphire in April Josh was the guide.

Jack

for the lovely

We just did the UST on the Golden last week, and the robe is the heavy terry cloth type. We knew this in advance (thanks, Keith) and saved room in our bags for the robes. We also received stationary that was printed in the print shop. We loved the tour and felt it was well worth it.:)

We only had 10 people on ours--certsainly not a lottery on the Star--since many of the pax had been on the ship from the previous cruise in SA there weren't many of us--we received the same items--stationary with our names imprinted--the photos--although we were allowed to take cameras--they were restricted at times--we received the photos, tote bag, the heavy robes--they sell for $90 on the ship--ours are still folded and we took them to our house in the desert for guest--great for after the hot tub--(in the winter) certainly not now.

I also love the Chef's table--I always like to go to the Chef's table--I find it fun--just not gourmet--but that's okay--

Would highly recommend the tour

Nancy:D

We only had 10 people on ours--certsainly not a lottery on the Star

Hi Nancy

When did you take the tour on the Star? DH and I will be on it 8/30. Should we go directly to the pursuers desk to sign up? If it is a lottory, should we enter both of us? If my name is drawn can I give it to my DH?

Thanks for everyone for the great information.

Tammie

Hi Nancy

When did you take the tour on the Star? DH and I will be on it 8/30. Should we go directly to the pursuers desk to sign up? If it is a lottory, should we enter both of us? If my name is drawn can I give it to my DH?

Thanks for everyone for the great information.

Tammie

Go to the Pursers desk immediately upon boarding and list both of you--when we signed there was already another couple ahead of us--we checked on the listing a couple of times and were told that the list was saomewhere and the lottery/drawing was taking place--the truth was that all 10 of us (6 men and 4 women) were CHOSEN--my guess was that anyone on the first cruise had already gone and obviously not many from our cruise--many feel it's too expensive--well---so are many excursions--this was a GREAT EXCURSION !!!

Just to clarify, when we did it on the Ruby we were told that passengers were chosen to participate by lottery (or drawing names out of a hat) if more than 12 passengers signed up. I cannot say whether they would add a second tour if there was sufficient interest (like they do with the Chef's Table), but I wouldn't count on it. You should definitely get your name on that list as soon as you board this ship, if you're interested in participating. ;)

I have to agree with everyone else who's done it: the experience is well worth the cost, even without the "gifts". Getting to spend so much time on the bridge while the ship was moving, talking to the Captain, and everything else was just wonderful. The gifts are nice, too, though. ;) And, yes, the robe is nice, thick, heavy terrycloth. I use it nearly every morning now, and it is just so luxurious to slip into it. ;)

Definitely highly recommended! :D

Probably a silly question...is the UST wheel chair accessible?

Sadly I don't think so because of the stairs, hallways distance covered, etc. We even had to climb ladders on the Sapphire. But don't give up ask anyway. If there is a will there is a way.

On another note one of the robes goes as a Christmas present to our lovely GD she is hooked on cruising also. Will be on her 2nd Alaska one shortly and she is only 15.

Jack

for the lovely

I want to book this as surprise to my husband. He will totally eat this up, loves the how and why of everything, and every cruise he laments we can not go to the bridge or in engine room, which was possible in the 90's. He works for a very large shipbuilding company.

Now, if I could just get them to give us light robes, instead of the 20 lb terry kind.....or maybe I will sell them in front of the promenade shops on the last sea day....or knock some change of the price of the tour because I can't pack the robes....LOL.

Comfortcove

I want to book this as surprise to my husband. He will totally eat this up, loves the how and why of everything, and every cruise he laments we can not go to the bridge or in engine room, which was possible in the 90's. He works for a very large shipbuilding company.

Now, if I could just get them to give us light robes, instead of the 20 lb terry kind.....or maybe I will sell them in front of the promenade shops on the last sea day....or knock some change of the price of the tour because I can't pack the robes....LOL.

Comfortcove

Our 'goodies' came in two cloth Princess bags (thank goodness!) - we were able to cram both robes into one of them and took it as a carry-on.

The tour is not wheelchair accessible. You are led up and down crew passageways and stairs, and some of the areas we visited are just not large enough to accommodate a w/c.

We went to sign up for the tour as soon as we boarded, and were the first ones on the list. I was told that the sign-up is for the lottery drawing (and indeed it was listed as such on the sign-up sheet). Only 11 signed up for the tour on our cruise, so we all got to go.

The experience alone was worth every penny, and I'd do it again in an instant.

Archived