Tipping at Specialty Restaurants

Love Boat Dream

I an curious to see if tips are usually given at the specialty restaurants. On the CB last week, I ate at Sabatini's and at the Crown Grill. At Sabatini's, one of the waiters asked me for a cash tip. He said it was customary if we liked the service. I thought this was inappropriate. (Yes, I mentioned it on the comment card) I do not carry money on the ship and I told him that and he said I could come back if I wanted (I did not!)

At the Crown Grill, there was no mention of tipping. Although, a friend I had made on board told me that he was so impressed by the service that he went back to his cabin and got some cash and came back and gave it to the waiter (no, he was not asked to do this)

I've eaten in the specialty restaurants on many of my past cruises and never gave a thought to tipping since there is already a cover charge to eat in these places.

So, my question to CCers: Do you tip at the specialty restaurants?

Apparently a lot of people do. I didn't, as I didn't think the service was that exceptional, or above what was already done in the regular dining room. I was cruising on NCL -- there they gave you a receipt, much like a bar bill, but with space for a tip if you wanted to add one in. I just signed it as presented and gave it back.

I would be mightily offended if I were asked for a tip, and astonished to be told I could come back with one!!

LBD- We experienced the exact same situation last week! Both meals were very good, as was the service, but we "hit" on in Sabatini's. We felt it was inappropriate as it was always our understanding that the cover paid the staff. DMaugle

Apparently a lot of people do. I didn't, as I didn't think the service was that exceptional, or above what was already done in the regular dining room. I was cruising on NCL -- there they gave you a receipt, much like a bar bill, but with space for a tip if you wanted to add one in. I just signed it as presented and gave it back.

I would be mightily offended if I were asked for a tip, and astonished to be told I could come back with one!!

Some do, some don't. Some say they do and don't. Some admit that they don't. And some say they tip exorbitantly, which I'm sure they don't. You do what you feel is right for you and never ever should you give in to pressure.

To the OP, that is really inappropriate to ask for a tip of any kind.

We were given a over aggressive talk on the Island on how we have to give an excellent on the survey in the dining room.

We always tip in the specialty restaurants, who says the tip is included?

We always tip in the specialty restaurants, who says the tip is included?

I think the real question is what Princess deems a "cover charge" means in this context.

The phrase is most often used, of course, in places with live entertainment, in lieu of buying a ticket at the door. And - says here in Wikipedia - it can also be used to cover the cost of things like butter and olives (though 25 bucks will buy a LOT of olives).

It's certainly not an unwarranted assumption that some of the 40-50 additional dollars a couple pays at a specialty restaurant would in fact be distributed as a gratuity (especially as you're already paying a tip to dining room waiters who won't be serving you that night), but...

If Princess simply framed it as a "food surcharge," the way they already do for lobster, it would clear things up, but would make Princess look a lot grabbier, I guess. "Cover charge" seems more polite...and more vague.

I understand what you are saying but I still feel tipping is warranted. ;)

That's totally fine with me. So you just approach the standard cover charge as defraying the cost of "better" food?

Its has been posted on this board.even if you give them a tip it has to go in a big hat or pot where its shared with all workers.tipping is up to the person. one should never feel pressured or obligated to do so.and dont feel bad if you choose not to tip thats your decision and your budget.From my understanding 80% of the ships personal get tips anyway.just my two cents:cool:

I generally leave a $20 tip; assuming the service justifys it - and it usually does. If a waiter told me that a tip was expected, the tip I'd give him would be on "the third race at Santa Anita".

A couple years ago I was on a cruise through the Western Caribbean and had a catamaran snorkle/swim excursion out of Key West. As we were approaching the dock at the end of the excursion, the pilot said that since they had taken care of us all day long, now it was our turn to take care of them. He didn't get a tip from me. Now if their had been a tip bucket or something like that on the dock where the boat docked I'd probably toss in a 5 or so; but since they expected it, no way.

even if you give them a tip it has to go in a big hat or pot where its shared with all workers.

The waiter mentioned ALL tips go into the common pool for ALL to split.

I haven't cruised Princess in a while and I am looking forward to sailing on the Ruby this November. But I have to say that I am disappointed that Princess makes them share a tip that I want to go directly to my waiter for his great service.

Is this true throughout the ship? If I give my room steward, bartender, or anyone who gives me great service on the ship extra money, do they have to put it in a common pool for their department?

We have always given cash tips to waiters at Specialty Dining."Cash" tips given to waiters do not go into the general tip pool but is shared by the waiters serving that evening in that Specialty Dining Room (which should be the case). But if the tip is entered in the Dining Charge slip which one signs and which is charged to your shipboard account then that tip goes to the "general" tip pool. So we always carry cash when we dine in the Specialty dining Room.

We have always given cash tips to waiters at Specialty Dining."Cash" tips given to waiters do not go into the general tip pool but is shared by the waiters serving that evening in that Specialty Dining Room (which should be the case). But if the tip is entered in the Dining Charge slip which one signs and which is charged to your shipboard account then that tip goes to the "general" tip pool. So we always carry cash when we dine in the Specialty dining Room.

Thank you for this info but what about other the departments? :)

Is this true throughout the ship? If I give my room steward' date=' bartender, or anyone who gives me great service on the ship extra money, do they have to put it in a common pool for their department?[/color']

Room steward and dining room waitstaff: If you have not reduced or eliminated the daily "hotel charge" from your room account, then these people can keep any extra cash you give them. If you have adjusted the "heotel charge" downward, then any cash you give to them will go into the pool.

Bartender: You automatically already pay 15% tip on each drink. Any extra cash you give to them can be kept by them.

Room steward and dining room waitstaff: If you have not reduced or eliminated the daily "hotel charge" from your room account, then these people can keep any extra cash you give them. If you have adjusted the "heotel charge" downward, then any cash you give to them will go into the pool.

Bartender: You automatically already pay 15% tip on each drink. Any extra cash you give to them can be kept by them.

I ALWAYS leave my auto tips in place. But I do like to tip extra when someone gives me great service. I wonder why Princess makes the Crown Grill or Sabatini's waiters pool any cash they receive but not the other department?? :confused:

As I understand it this is a decision made by the Specialty Dining Room because they work as a team. Quite often there are large groups (birthday / anniversary celebs) and almost 4 waiters or more are assigned. And the party celebrant gives one large tip.

I

I wonder why Princess makes the Crown Grill or Sabatini's waiters pool any cash they receive but not the other department?? :confused:

As I understand it this is a decision made by the Specialty Dining Room because they work as a team. Quite often there are large groups (birthday / anniversary celebs) and almost 4 waiters or more are assigned. And the party celebrant gives one large tip.

Thanks and that makes sense. :D

I think the person asking for the tip in cash means he was trying to avoid pooling with the others. If he had the cash, he could put it in his pocket, as opposed to the electronig ones added to the room account, which are easier for the maitre d' to track.

Archived