New Mahogany Bay Cruise Center dock in Roatan for Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

thinfool

If you plan on snorkeling will in Roatan dont plan on doing it at Mahogany Bay, when the ship comes it and stirs up all the silt and sand from the bottom and the reef on the other side of the pier is in very bad shape and the viz is horrible. if you want good snorkeling go outside mahogany bay.

If you plan on snorkeling will in Roatan dont plan on doing it at Mahogany Bay, when the ship comes it and stirs up all the silt and sand from the bottom and the reef on the other side of the pier is in very bad shape and the viz is horrible. if you want good snorkeling go outside mahogany bay.

Good to know.

It appears that the first ship to dock at the new Mahogany Bay Cruise Center will be the Crown Princess on December 1.

I was on that cruise and the facility is great. We're going back to Roatan next October on the Epic. Are Carnival Corp ships the only ones that will be allowed to dock at Mahogany Bay?

Dock was very nice and the walk to the private guides is not far at all. One person was handicapped and the driver was able to go into the gated area and pick up the person. They can only pick up one person though so the rest of the group need to walk outside the gate. Please use the private tours I would suggest Victor Bodden his company is great. We even saw Victor several times throughout the day as well as several members of his family.

Beach at the center is nice but looked to be very crowded. The island is beautiful and at no time did I feel unsafe.

• 3 months later...
The private tour operators tried and tried to work out an arrangement with Carnival and Carnival wouldn't even speak to them. I guess it's all about making the maximum profit for themselves. I'm sure they bank on the fact that most cruisers don't visit cruise websites or research ahead of time, and have no idea that there are other options available [or are unable to make the long trek to get to them].

This [former] Carnival cheerleader is quite unhappy with how the locals were treated. I'm glad the customers are still managing to get to the local tour guides though.

I agree with you 100% on this one. I happen to know the locals because I have formed relationships with them over the years. Some tour operators have contracts with RCI but do not have contracts with Carnival Corp. What we have to do is get outside of MBCC in order to get to our destination which Carnival frowns upon. In addition, the cab fares inside of the terminal cost way too much then from what they really are. I wonder if Carnival is getting a cut of this? C'mon folks, the oldtimers know, we have seen this in other ports. I do admit I like the new port, but I just pray someone is looking out for the environment. If the transportation costs keep rising, soon we will not even be able to visit the most pristine part of this island, which is certainly not MBCC. Sorry to rant and rave here, but I have started going to Coxen hole when it was all rocks and taxis and nothing much more. :)

I wonder if Carnival is getting a cut of this?

A local rich guy (may have been mayor) who owns the MB property began to develop it as a cruise terminal...on his own. Carnival came along and said, "Hey, we'll do it for you!! Just sign it over to us on a 30 year lease."

Done deal.

Carnival built it, Carnival runs it, Carnival calls the shots, and Carnival rakes in revenue from it ALL.

Carnival controls: Taxis, tour operators, vendors, rest rooms...;) etc, etc.

Funny thing is that now MB seems at the mercy of the elements. More than one Carnival, Princess, HAL ship has had to abort a port visit due to high wind/sea conditions.

Pity the poor Carnival passengers who have to sail away from this tropical paradise never setting foot on shore, even if the original dock at Coxen Hole is vacant.

While I personally like the Carnival lines, IMO, the planners of MB had very narrow, short-sighted vision when they committed to the current plan.

One cool situation...the Clip 'n Zip Zipline store is immediately across the street from MB. By stepping over the curb you literally leave the MB property. Clip 'n Zip operates privately, with no commission or percentage given to the big 'C' !! (this was true in January '10)

Does anyone know If we have to pre pay or just pay to get in here.I know you can pay for the chair lift or I can just walk there.Also are the chairs free?

The beach and chairs are free. Some of the chairs are in the shade. You can purchase food and drink and a few other things.

No problem eating lunch on the ship and using the beach. Take some water with you. If you want to spend a beach day someplace on your trip might as well do it here.

• 3 months later...

Archived