New Mahogany Bay Cruise Center dock in Roatan for Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

thinfool

I just want to say thank you for everyone who has taken the time to post information about the new pier. We will be there in Jan, and with two ships in port at the new pier I am interested in taking a taxi to West End beach and quieter spot.

Not sure how much a taxi should cost. Any ideas?

Hey! Vickie! It's me!! Wow, you never know who will show up on these boards!

We too will be in Roatan sometime in Jan. We're on the Carnival Valor, I don't think we will be there the same time as you. How was Alaska? Anyway, just wanted to say "hello" and have a wonderful time in Roatan!:)

For anyone who's been to the MBCC, do any of the bars provide beachside service vs having to leave the beach for those much needed cold beverages?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. waiters make regular rounds. But, they will not ask you or bother you, so if you want something, just flag one down. Service was pretty fast.

Hey! Vickie! It's me!! Wow, you never know who will show up on these boards!

We too will be in Roatan sometime in Jan. We're on the Carnival Valor, I don't think we will be there the same time as you. How was Alaska? Anyway, just wanted to say "hello" and have a wonderful time in Roatan!:)

funny, I was just looking at our pics from last year and we saw a picture of you both from our excursion in St. Vincent.

We are well.... doing 7 day Western on Crown Jan then 10 day Ruby Jan 19.

We are in Roatan with the Carnival Dream. I will proably be doing a live thread again so if anyone wants to watch out for it, I can answer questions then.

We are in Roatan with the Carnival Dream. I will proably be doing a live thread again so if anyone wants to watch out for it, I can answer questions then.

And, We thought you were a "Princess" only gal :D !

Yes, I have been doing some "re-living" from our cruise days. We had a fantastic time last year on the Grand cruising around the Caribbean and enjoying all C.C. people that we met! :)

Are you in Roatan now, or your just "Dream-ing" :D ? How's the beds on Carnival? Bet they are much better than the Grand ;)

Looking forward to reading your review! Cheers!

And, We thought you were a "Princess" only gal :D !

Yes, I have been doing some "re-living" from our cruise days. We had a fantastic time last year on the Grand cruising around the Caribbean and enjoying all C.C. people that we met! :)

Are you in Roatan now, or your just "Dream-ing" :D ? How's the beds on Carnival? Bet they are much better than the Grand ;)

Looking forward to reading your review! Cheers!

Actually I am a princess gal, but have sailed Carnival too. Sorry it is a little misleading, actually we are on the Crown Princess and the Dream will be there with us. So it will be rather busy, so we are going to head out via taxi to West Bay to do some snorkeling. We will be there around Jan 11th or 12th.

The beds on the Grand in the first cabin we had were horrible, but the second cabin they were great.

We enjoyed the beds on the Island this past Sept. So it seems to be hit or miss.

Actually I am a princess gal, but have sailed Carnival too. Sorry it is a little misleading, actually we are on the Crown Princess and the Dream will be there with us. So it will be rather busy, so we are going to head out via taxi to West Bay to do some snorkeling. We will be there around Jan 11th or 12th.

We will be in Roatan on Jan 27, so you'll have to mark a spot and say "Vickey & Bernie" were here! Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise, and you never know - we just meet up with you guys again! :)

funny, I was just looking at our pics from last year and we saw a picture of you both from our excursion in St. Vincent.

We are well.... doing 7 day Western on Crown Jan then 10 day Ruby Jan 19.

Hey, Vicki_Bernie...We're on the Dream docking next to you in Jan when you're on the Crown. Haven't made a decision on what to do here yet. Some one on these boards said my fav eating place in West End (Mavis & Dixie's ) closed recently. While SIL loves the island, BIL has never been and tends to not like riding on steep winding roads. (Guy jet skis and has a hobie cat that he loves to take up on one pontoon, go figure.) DW is seriously considering just staying on the Dream :rolleyes:. so have a good cruise down and maybe we'll see you on the dock. Crew

Hey, Vicki_Bernie...We're on the Dream docking next to you in Jan when you're on the Crown. Haven't made a decision on what to do here yet. Some one on these boards said my fav eating place in West End (Mavis & Dixie's ) closed recently. While SIL loves the island, BIL has never been and tends to not like riding on steep winding roads. (Guy jet skis and has a hobie cat that he loves to take up on one pontoon, go figure.) DW is seriously considering just staying on the Dream :rolleyes:. so have a good cruise down and maybe we'll see you on the dock. Crew

small world.... I agree with your wife it may be crazy here with two large ships in port, but I read on another thread about a recommendation at West Bay for snorkeling and then to get a lobster in a tortilla and well that got me!

I am just looking forward to warm sunny weather and a beach! And will go with the flow.

For anyone who's been to the MBCC, do any of the bars provide beachside service vs having to leave the beach for those much needed cold beverages?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, they do! I even saw them deliver a bucket of beer to the group of people in the water. They just buried the bucket a couple inches into the sand to keep it cold. They also will bring food out to your chair. We did get a few sand flea bites too, and we were in the sun. If you stay in the water most of the time though, like we did, you shouldn't get too many. They didn't itch, and went away by the end of the cruise. It's a very nice beach that you can go to for free! It's kind of a long walk without the flying beach chair though (the path is shaded parts of the way). BTW, we were there dec. 9 and they only took cash for the flying beach chair. They're cc service wasn't set up yet, although they have plans to take all major cc's in the future. Float rentals are $5 each.

Yes. waiters make regular rounds. But, they will not ask you or bother you, so if you want something, just flag one down. Service was pretty fast.

Yes, they do! I even saw them deliver a bucket of beer to the group of people in the water. They just buried the bucket a couple inches into the sand to keep it cold. They also will bring food out to your chair. We did get a few sand flea bites too, and we were in the sun. If you stay in the water most of the time though, like we did, you shouldn't get too many. They didn't itch, and went away by the end of the cruise. It's a very nice beach that you can go to for free! It's kind of a long walk without the flying beach chair though (the path is shaded parts of the way). BTW, we were there dec. 9 and they only took cash for the flying beach chair. They're cc service wasn't set up yet, although they have plans to take all major cc's in the future. Float rentals are $5 each.

Thank you both for your replies. I hadn't read anything about beachside service and I LOVE being able to have a beer while in the ocean;) To me, that's the ultimate beach experience!

Thanks again.

I apologize if this has been asked to death, but I'm wondering if Mahogany Bay serves just Carnival or if other lines (specifically NCL) use it as well. Last year I visited Roatan on the NCL Pearl and we docked in Coxen Hole.

Mahogany Bay only serves ships sailing under the Carnival Corp umbrella. Unfortunately NCL isn't one them and still has to use Coxen hole.

Is the new Mahogany port close to the West End? I haven't been able to find a map that shows the new port.

Mahogany Bay is just East of Coxen hole and the airport so it is actually farther away from the West End than the old pier at Coxen hole.

We were in Roatan last week. Although I did like the beach quite a bit there, I absolutely hated the way the taxi service there is run. There is one company that has an entire monopoly UNLESS you know ahead of time that you have to walk out of the gates and over a large hill to find a taxi service that won't entirely rip you off. We didn't know. We had to pay frickin' $40 bucks for 1 way service for 3 of us, and this was only after I talked them down from $60.

Carnival should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this.

We were in Roatan last week. Although I did like the beach quite a bit there, I absolutely hated the way the taxi service there is run. There is one company that has an entire monopoly UNLESS you know ahead of time that you have to walk out of the gates and over a large hill to find a taxi service that won't entirely rip you off. We didn't know. We had to pay frickin' $40 bucks for 1 way service for 3 of us, and this was only after I talked them down from $60.

The private tour operators tried and tried to work out an arrangement with Carnival and Carnival wouldn't even speak to them. I guess it's all about making the maximum profit for themselves. I'm sure they bank on the fact that most cruisers don't visit cruise websites or research ahead of time, and have no idea that there are other options available [or are unable to make the long trek to get to them].

This [former] Carnival cheerleader is quite unhappy with how the locals were treated. I'm glad the customers are still managing to get to the local tour guides though.

The private tour operators tried and tried to work out an arrangement with Carnival and Carnival wouldn't even speak to them. I guess it's all about making the maximum profit for themselves. I'm sure they bank on the fact that most cruisers don't visit cruise websites or research ahead of time, and have no idea that there are other options available [or are unable to make the long trek to get to them].

This [former] Carnival cheerleader is quite unhappy with how the locals were treated. I'm glad the customers are still managing to get to the local tour guides though.

yes very sad, but this isn't the first port they have done this with.... ie Grand Turk, and I am sure there are others

we heard the cruise director (last name goodman I think) warn people of the cost of the taxi's and that Princess had tried to work with the local govt to set a set rate for popular locations. You can take this for what it's worth.

my two cents

Buzz

Ok quick question. Is Princess actually docking at this port? When we left Mahogany Bay were heard rumors on the Crown Dec5-12 sailing that the ship bottomed out as it left port and that only one ship at a time could even attempt to bet in port as the second berth was not deep enough. I was under the impression that Princess was now tendering this port until dredging could be completed.

buzz

we stopped in roatan last week..it is so beautiful there..

mahogany bay is very nice it is a change from where it used to come in and i think it is less intimidating for people visiting roatan for the first time.

I would not stay there however..we went to bananaramaresort. they arranged everything for us they even had a driver come in the new terminal to pick us up...but since i was so paranoid that this wouldn't happen we walked out anyway and the driver had to come and get us...so i will trust what they say next time. but it wasn't obvious so we didn't know where to look for him and i didn't see a sign. when you walk out to get your outside tour there is someone right there to help you they have phones and walkies so you get taken care of...it is a bit confusing though.

that being said our day was fantastic we had a chair and a free drink and a drive there for $30 each then we went on a reef snorkel run for $10 each with some local guys...don't take the first price they want your business.

best snorkeling the whole trip...the reef is fantastic and full of fish and live coral...

the only thing wrong with the roatan stop was it was tooooo short.

do go outside to the beach because the locals need your business to survive and they are suffering right now because alot of people just stay at mahogany bay..but don't!!!!!!!!!! especially if you like to snorkel or dive it is some of the best in the world in roatan...

Archived