New Mahogany Bay Cruise Center dock in Roatan for Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

thinfool

Ahh crap! That looks soo nice! Now to decide to spend $70 on a private driver PLUS entrance to Mayan Princess... $130 for the day.. or just stay at the beach! WOW.. tough choices... guess I will leave it up to DH

Right.. the beach is free.. its just the chair lift that we pay for? And drinks/food etc

Any word if Victor was let in the cruise terminal for his tours?

DW and I were in Roatan Dec. 4 and the Independant Tours were all outside the pier area. You have to walk out the main gate, turn left and go to the top of the hill, maybe a 300-yard walk. At the top they have a bus that takes guests of all the independant tours (Victor's, Rony's, Island Marketing) to their tour guides. We went with Rony's and had no problem.

Mike and Lorie

Thanks so much for the update - at least we know the pier is open :)

Does anyone have any pictures of the new pier they would be willing to share?

We are still torn if we should hang at the beach for the day or do a private tour of the Island and Tabyana Beach

We are still torn if we should hang at the beach for the day or do a private tour of the Island and Tabyana Beach

Here are some pics, if this works. One is shops area when you come off the ship, other is beach area at Mahogony Bay.

Mike and Lorie

198.jpg.7a7af832ab15cf51a005c5d63763fe2c.jpg

187.jpg.bd12c11b936ccb606d06b33437c62883.jpg

The walk to the beach over the bridge is free, and we found it faster than the chair lift. And the chairs are free as well. When paying for drinks/food there (the beach), you can't use cash, you have to use your Carnival Sail & Sign card, but you can use cash at the stores.

Honestly, there isn't much to do there, unless you are looking to JUST hang out at the beach. We went into all the stores (which are about the same as all the other ports, only there are a lot fewer), walked over to the beach, laid out for a bit, went into the water a couple times, took some pictures, and were back on the ship by 11:30am. The beach is man-made and very small, but nice. If I had had the money to spend, I would have taken a 2-3 hour excursion and left a little time to explore the small port area. I'm sure we missed the beauty of Roatan by not venturing outside the "Carnival Domain". :)

We have seen Roatan before, and yes, the island is beautiful.

So next time definetly take an island tour (we used Victor Bodden - was great!) Interesting that we use our sign and sail card...I wonder what happens when other cruise ships are in port? can they pay cash too? It's not a Carnival only beach is it?

Great pictures arHeath. Thanks for posting them and the information re the area. And tip on S&S card vs cash. How "steep" was the walk from the ship to the shops or to the main gate (if you went that way)? Big question on these boards but pictures don't seem to indicate it's very steep more of a gradual slope.

Great tip on the Sail and Sign card - we always have it with us but would not have known to use it for food etc

Looking forward to seeing the area

Is the S & S card not your "cruise card" with an embedded photo like on other lines? If so, don't you have to have that to get off and on?

Is the S & S card not your "cruise card" with an embedded photo like on other lines? If so, don't you have to have that to get off and on?

yes you are correct - thats why I was confused when they said they had to go back for it, really can't get back on the ship without it :)

We were there Thursday. It was really nice. The only downfall that I experienced was that the Dufry store right at the pier HAND WROTE all the receipts and used calculators to add the totals...it took FOREVER and was HOT as YOU KNOW WHERE.

I'll post some pics when they're done uploading to webshots.

Archived