New Mahogany Bay Cruise Center dock in Roatan for Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

thinfool

I wonder if the restaurants at Mahogany Bay will be charging a premium for food? The $5.00 ski lift sounds totally crazy. I hope they don't start charging for lounge chairs on the beach.

I really do hope that we will be able to get a cab and take our own tours around the island. It's one thing to stop at Princess Cay or Half Moon Cay for a day and be treated to a private island, it's another thing when you are expecting to visit an island to tour it and are limited in what you can see or do. I noticed the Mahongany Bay website now lists exchursions you can take, but they can only be booked from your cruise line.

I hate the idea of being penned in! Keep it up Carnival Corp, you are sure to losing my business!!!!!!

I guess you are on the Ryndam.

I found a local paper that seemed to indicate that the port would be open today, Dec 1 and some sort of an opening party in January. The port docking schedule shows ships docking throughout December so I think we are ok for January.

PLEEEEEASE< anyone with any update on the new dock in Roatan? We are sailing on 12/6, and I'm dying to know if it will be open. We have booked transport to Tabyana Beach, but might want to go to the new beach at Mahogany Bay, and want to let the tour operator know. If anyone's on the ship right now and online, I'd love to know your opinion of the new dock (how far of a walk it is to the beach, to the independent tour operators pickup, how nice is the beach, is it free, things to do at the new beach, etc, etc, etc. Thanks!

Follow the discussion here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22199371

It would appear that it is open. Apparently the Crown Princess was in there yesterday.

Thanks! I had been following that thread, but didn't notice that it was updated. Now just waiting for someone who's been there to report back. Probably won't, cuz we're leaving for fll saturday. Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself!

Thanks! I had been following that thread, but didn't notice that it was updated. Now just waiting for someone who's been there to report back. Probably won't, cuz we're leaving for fll saturday. Guess I'll have to wait and see for myself!

We're going there in March so would love to hear how it was. How about filing a review of the place when you get back?

We were on the Crown Princess, the first ship to dock at the brand new Mahogany Bay Cruise Center, on December 1. It is very nice. The shops have a variety of items, but they are more expensive than what you would find in the interior of Roatan (which is expected). There is a $5 charge to ride the "magical chair" lift to the beach, but you can walk a beautifully landscaped pathway for free. The beach there is very lovely. For passengers who want a nice beach, beach bar, and some shops, they need go no further.

But to really experience the culture and beauty of Roatan, we recommend going into the interior of the island. While it is true that you need to walk outside the gates and up the road a short distance to get to the local tour guides, we did not find it very inconvenient. (In fact, the walk on the pier at Cozumel seemed longer!). At the conclusion of our tour, our local guide was permitted to drive us past the gate to the ship.

Archived