Passport question

I have a friend who has expressed interest in going to Alaska. The problem is he doesn't have a passport and is unable to get one (I am not going to explain why). Friend's partner was wondering....can Friend go on a cruise to Alaska without a passport especially if he doesn't get off the ship in Canada?

Thanks for the information.

A passport is not required for the Seattle sailings, but some form of WHTI-compliant ID would definitely be required for the Vancouver sailings - see http://www.getyouhome.gov for info; Seattle sailings are "circle trips", Vancouver sailings require you to enter Canada.

Note that if his problem is something other than child support being in arrears, Canada will likely deny him entry. DUI is the most common reason for Canada to refuse entry, but any felony conviction will do nicely.

Correct answers are given above.

I am very curious to know though why someone can't get a passport? Only reasons I can thing of us criminal situation and can't leave the country? Are there others?

I assume your friend is a U.S. citizen. If not, he/she will need a passport.

If a U.S. citizen will need proof of citizenship (official birth certificate for example) and a government issued picture ID.

I am very curious to know though why someone can't get a passport? Only reasons I can thing of us criminal situation and can't leave the country? Are there others?

Child support arrears....

No birth certificate. Some particularly older were born at home so no birth certificate was ever issued. This is still common somewhat along the Texas border where babies are born with a midwife in attendance but no doctor or hospital. Last I heard the government was working on a solution.

So let me get this straight. If they go on a R/T from Seattle, Friend can get by without a passport?

As long as you are going round trip from a US city and only go to countries on the list (Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean and Central America, you do not need a passport if youare a US citizen. You do need proof of citizenship. This is ususally done by a certified copy of the birth certficate and a government issued photo ID.

As long as you are going round trip from a US city and only go to countries on the list (Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean and Central America, you do not need a passport if youare a US citizen. You do need proof of citizenship. This is ususally done by a certified copy of the birth certficate and a government issued photo ID.

Sorry, but the US State Dept disagrees with you. If you travel outside the United States, a birth certificate and driver's license is NOT sufficient. You need a WHTI-compliant document (e.g., passport). However, if you travel on a cruise that begins and ends in the United States ("closed loop"), and never get off the ship while in foreign ports, then you do not need a passport.

The US State Dept (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements) says:

"All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed-loop cruises), including ferry service, on June 1, 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea may present government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization). Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers must present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry to the United States. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s licenses are sufficient for entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements."

The notion that you can't get off the ship in Canada during the PVSA service stop without a passport is a myth. WHTI is a US-only program; Border Services Agency Canada does *not* require a passport from US citizens, at least yet. There's more information on their website.

VibeGuy is correct.. From the BSAC website..

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a U.S. citizen, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you. For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada. It is available on our Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca.

Your friend may have a problem anyways. While he does not need a passport, he does require an official birth certificate - which apparently you say he doesn't have.

The OP never said that his friend did not have, or could not obtain, a birth certificate.

The OP never said that his friend did not have, or could not obtain, a birth certificate.

Check out post number 11 - very clearly states that the friend does not have a birth certificate and will have trouble getting one.

"No birth certificate. Some particularly older were born at home so no birth certificate was ever issued. This is still common somewhat along the Texas border where babies are born with a midwife in attendance but no doctor or hospital. Last I heard the government was working on a solution. "

Check out post number 11 - very clearly states that the friend does not have a birth certificate and will have trouble getting one.
Post # 11 is not by the OP, it is conjecture in response to the question as to why someone could not get a passport.

Sorry, but the US State Dept disagrees with you. If you travel outside the United States, a birth certificate and driver's license is NOT sufficient. You need a WHTI-compliant document (e.g., passport). However, if you travel on a cruise that begins and ends in the United States ("closed loop"), and never get off the ship while in foreign ports, then you do not need a passport.

The US State Dept (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements) says:

"All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed-loop cruises), including ferry service, on June 1, 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea may present government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization). Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers must present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry to the United States. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s licenses are sufficient for entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements."

I just wanted to make sure that folks understand that this post is incorrect. If you're on a "closed-loop" cruise without a passport, you will absolutely be able to get off the ship in foreign ports with NO problems.

Archived