Getting off before the cruise is over.

yellowsnow

I just went on my first cruise on the Carnival Glory about a month ago, and now I can only think of taking another one.

I have to make a trip to Colombia (I am Colombian, so that would probably make more sense to you now) to go to the dentist. It turns out it's a lot cheaper to travel and get stuff done there than doing it in the states without insurance. Anyway, I was thinking, since I also have the free time, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra and getting to Colombia in a cruise ship instead of a plane. I found a NCL ship that has a 14 day itinerary that docks in Cartagena, Colombia on the 12th day, which is perfect for me as I am going to Barranquilla, Colombia which is like two hours away and can have a relative come pick me up.

The question is, can I do this? Obviously I'd notify the cruise line of my plans so they don't think I am lost or something, but since the itinerary originates and ends in the US, is there some type of penalty for not returning to the US in the boat? I'd be returning like 15 days later by plane.

I assume it is a similar situation to when people miss their boat on a port day.

Does anyone know anything about this?

You may be able to do this, but best to call the cruise line to find out the restrictions. Your only problem could be losing out on the cruise fare. They will not prorate your cruise and you'd have to pay for the entire trip and then lose the fare for the days you're not on board.

As long as you notify the cruise line, and clear it with the local authorities, it's fine. Remember, they can't keep you on board the ship against your will....that's Kidnapping! You can alway get off, except if you leave from a US port and are at another US port (in which case the US feds will go after you).

You can alway get off, except if you leave from a US port and are at another US port (in which case the US feds will go after you).

Well, not really. The cruise line is fined $350 for every person they disembark (knowingly or unknowingly) in another U.S. port. The fine is then passed on to the passenger from the cruise line.

As long as you notify the cruise line, and clear it with the local authorities, it's fine. Remember, they can't keep you on board the ship against your will....that's Kidnapping! You can alway get off, except if you leave from a US port and are at another US port (in which case the US feds will go after you).

Why can't you get off at a US port if you left from a US port?

There is a U.S. law prohibitting foreign flagged vessels from transporting people or cargo from one U.S. port directly to another U.S. port (i.e. to prevent competition with U.S. owned carriers).

There is a U.S. law prohibitting foreign flagged vessels from transporting people or cargo from one U.S. port directly to another U.S. port (i.e. to prevent competition with U.S. owned carriers).

What cruise line has US owned cruise ships?

Well, not really. The cruise line is fined $350 for every person they disembark (knowingly or unknowingly) in another U.S. port. The fine is then passed on to the passenger from the cruise line.

That's basically what I said...the federal government will go after the cruise line for the money, which will come after you for the money.

Because of protectionist legislation. The intent was to promote US shipbuilders. Of course, the actual result, is just the opposite...no cruise ships are built in the US.

Cruise West has US flagged ships that sail between US ports in Alaska, to the California wine country from San Francisco and on the Columbia River.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

So if I went on a cruise that started in Miami, stopped in the Bahamas and Key West, I couldn't get off in Key West?

I'm not planing on it just curious.

You would have to reimburse the cruise line for the fine.

To the OP:

On our first cruise a couple at our dinner table were from the UK. They had sold their business, and just about all their other possesions, and disembarked at Tortola, BVI to start their retirement early! They were planning to open a beach bar/ restaraunt. They simply informed the cruise line ahead of time and it was no issue. They, of course, had to carry all of their luggage off the ship themselves, but that's a small price to pay IMO.

Leaving a ship mid-cruise is not as simple as some would think.

The cruise line rarely cares, but the country you are planning on entering just might.

When you visit most foreign countries on a cruise ship, the cruise line makes an agreement with local immigration officials to grant you a temporary visa to enter that country. This visa is valid so long as the cruise ship is on port.

If the cruise ship departs and you are not aboard, you are an illegal alien - unless you have made arrangements for a valid tourist visa for that country.

Most of the time, if you tell the cruise line that you want/need to disembark before the end of the cruise, they can assist you in getting the proper visa.

But there are exceptions to that idea as well. Some ports are too small to have immigration officers. No officers = no clearance = no permission to stay ashore.

A good example is Newport Rhode Island. Many cruise ships stop there on their Canada / New England cruises. Newport has no US Immigration Office.

If a non-US passenger or crewmember wants to permanently disembark the ship there, it cannot be done.

Archived