ATM denomination withdrawals

Bethany Beach

I'll be withdrawing money from ATMs in Italy. In the US when I ask for over a hundred dollars, I get all $20 bills. In what denomination is the money dispensed from ATMs in Europe? I would like to be able to get 200 euro notes and 50 euro notes. I'm thinking that I will have to find ATMs at banks so I can go inside to get larger notes if necessary. This is just so I don't have a large wad of notes in my money belt to pay for our tours, plus I'd rather not sit there in the car counting out all those euros when it is time to pay.

I'll be withdrawing money from ATMs in Italy. In the US when I ask for over a hundred dollars, I get all $20 bills. In what denomination is the money dispensed from ATMs in Europe? I would like to be able to get 200 euro notes and 50 euro notes. I'm thinking that I will have to find ATMs at banks so I can go inside to get larger notes if necessary. This is just so I don't have a large wad of notes in my money belt to pay for our tours, plus I'd rather not sit there in the car counting out all those euros when it is time to pay.

I took out 250 euros at a time (my mistake, I did not ask the bank to up my limit) and I got some 50's and some 20's.

Yep, 50 Euro notes are the biggest provided. (You must be taking some very expensive tours, or have many, many in your family group, if 50 Euro ($70) notes are not large enough!)

We usually have the other issue, preferring 20 Euro notes to the 50's.

We have found that the denomintations really vary from ATM to ATM and there is no way to predict what you will get. If you do get amounts divisible by 50, it is very common that you will get all 50 Euro bills. We often will put in odd amounts such as 290 Euros which will get us some smaller bills.

Hnak

Good question. You would think I would know the answer from my time in Italy just over a year ago. We did not draw out huge amounts at one time, but I think the denominations were around 20 Euros, maybe 50s too. I have the same problem and the tip about doing this at a bank is good.

Thanks for all the quick responses (as usual). I didn't even think about 200 euro notes being a possible problem. So, hopefully the machines will be giving out 50 euro notes. And, yes, some of our tours are expensive as they are just for the two of us so I will need 450-500 euros for each one. This will be our first trip to Europe and more than likely our last, so I wanted to make sure that I make each port as memorable as possible. Since our cabin price dropped significantly over the past few months, I decided, what the heck - go for it. Hopefully, those private tours will be make for some wonderful vacation memories.

Also, I had read somewhere that it is a good idea to use ATMs at banks whenever possible - less chance of being scammed, etc. However, I can see by reading through many, many posts, that one can quickly become paranoid about safety/fraud issues. I am working to try to strike a balance between using some common sense and not spending all of my time watching over my shoulder.

................. I am working to try to strike a balance between using some common sense and not spending all of my time watching over my shoulder.

Me too! I'll make copies of our passports and we'll each carry a copy of the other persons as well.

Travel Insurance...... make sure you get it. It would come in handy if you were to have an incident.

Thanks for all the quick responses (as usual). I didn't even think about 200 euro notes being a possible problem. So, hopefully the machines will be giving out 50 euro notes. And, yes, some of our tours are expensive as they are just for the two of us so I will need 450-500 euros for each one. This will be our first trip to Europe and more than likely our last, so I wanted to make sure that I make each port as memorable as possible. Since our cabin price dropped significantly over the past few months, I decided, what the heck - go for it. Hopefully, those private tours will be make for some wonderful vacation memories.

We also needed a lot of euros for private tours, but i was able to use Euro traveler's checks to pay for my tours (I would not count on using them for anything else!) Yes, I know I paid a bit extra, but I did not want to worry about the euros in each city, in case of a problem. Also, if you are going to take out larger amounts, make sure the bank has larger limits. Some ATM's have their own limits, too.

Peteymil: Where do you buy euro traveler's checks? If you have to go to a back in Europe (I guess that sounds logical), how do you pay? Do you get the money out of the ATM then go into the bank for the checks? I guess I can Google this, but since you have first hand info, I'd appreciate hearing how you handled this. I'll have to see if RIL takes euro traveler's checks as that certainly make life easier. I didn't think of using them as in the US it seems that traveler's checks are becoming nonexistent.

Yep, 50 Euro notes are the biggest provided. (You must be taking some very expensive tours, or have many, many in your family group, if 50 Euro ($70) notes are not large enough!)

We usually have the other issue, preferring 20 Euro notes to the 50's.

I withdrew 100 euros this past December in Vienna. To my dismay I received a 100 euro note:(.

It seems to be potluck as to what denominations the atms provide. If you ask for an amount that does not end in 50s or 100s, you will at least receive some smaller bills.

Joe

I've used ATMs regularly in Italy for the past ten years and I don't think I've ever received anything larger than a 50 Euro bill. Some retailers make faces at you when you try to use them, but I just stare back and eventually they take it.

Bethany Beach, I think I was in your neighborhood yesterday, for the first time. Beautiful area. We had a nice dinner at Di Febos (I think that's the name).

Be sure to check with your bank about maximum withdrawals allowed in one day. Individual bank ATMs in Italy may also have limits, but you can go to two or three in one day as long as your US bank limit hasn't been reached. Another good idea is to have two different ATMs, associated with different accounts, with you.

And yes, I agree with the others that it's best to seek out bank related ATM machines whenever possible.

Yes, euro cruiser, you were just about 2 miles from our house. DiFebo's is a pretty popular place among visitors and locals alike. We like Bethany because we can get to the craziness of Rehoboth or OC in 15 minutes but are in the quiet of Bethany. Of course, since you were here last week, you didn't see the quietness that exists between Sept and May. BUT, we love the summer people (used to be among them) because without them we wouldn't have a Giant, Lowe's, BJs, etc.)

BACK ON TRACK - I'll be sure to seek out bank ATMs and ask for an unusual amount of money when I went to get smaller bills. That way I can collect some 50 euro notes and smaller ones for shopping.

Peteymil: Where do you buy euro traveler's checks? If you have to go to a back in Europe (I guess that sounds logical), how do you pay? Do you get the money out of the ATM then go into the bank for the checks? I guess I can Google this, but since you have first hand info, I'd appreciate hearing how you handled this. I'll have to see if RIL takes euro traveler's checks as that certainly make life easier. I didn't think of using them as in the US it seems that traveler's checks are becoming nonexistent.

I have purchased traveler's checks in Euros at an American Express Travel Office in the US.

Hi Judy-We got our Euro TC's at our local CAA(orAAA)office. If you're a member, they're free of charge. It worked out well for us as we only used them for our more expensive tours. Other than that, we used ATM's with no problem. Shelly:)

I just called my local bank, and they got them for me. It was very easy. I used RIL in 3 ports, and paid with the traveler's checks. It worked out perfectly, and was hassle free.

I will tell you, it was just the two of us also, and you are 100 % correct, each port will be a memory that you will carry forever. Every day was something special.

Judy, you live in a lovely area. My childhood best friend bought a townhouse there a couple of years ago and I finally made it down (from NJ) to visit her. In the process I learned that one of my cousins moved to Dewey Beach and another to Ocean City MD. It's a popular area, for good reason from what I observed.

I've gotten 20s and 50s but make sure you check with your bank about the total amount you take out on a daily basis.

I've used ATMs regularly in Italy for the past ten years and I don't think I've ever received anything larger than a 50 Euro bill. Some retailers make faces at you when you try to use them, but I just stare back and eventually they take it.

Bethany Beach, I think I was in your neighborhood yesterday, for the first time. Beautiful area. We had a nice dinner at Di Febos (I think that's the name).

Be sure to check with your bank about maximum withdrawals allowed in one day. Individual bank ATMs in Italy may also have limits, but you can go to two or three in one day as long as your US bank limit hasn't been reached. Another good idea is to have two different ATMs, associated with different accounts, with you.

And yes, I agree with the others that it's best to seek out bank related ATM machines whenever possible.

Euro Cruiser,

I have a question please,

do we use our checking account debt card or should we use our credit card or should we open another checking account and use only that debit card? I'm worried that if we use our regular checking account we are at risk of being wiped out incase of theft. What is your advise? We are doing a 12 day mediterranean cruise and it is our first.

Thanks,

Susan

Euro Cruiser,

I have a question please,

do we use our checking account debt card or should we use our credit card or should we open another checking account and use only that debit card? I'm worried that if we use our regular checking account we are at risk of being wiped out incase of theft. What is your advise? We are doing a 12 day mediterranean cruise and it is our first.

Thanks,

Susan

There is no need to open a separate account and you definitely should NOT do cash withdrawals against a credit card. You should use your regular debit or ATM card issued by your regular bank for all your cash needs overseas. Remember a PIN is still needed to withdraw money from an ATM (just like at home), so the loss or theft of your card cannot "wipe you out". I would check with your bank to see what fees or surcharges, if any, they assess on ATM usage. Also make sure your bank uses standard 4-digit PINs because I understand that some European banks do not accept longer PINs.

Ok thanks,

we do use 4 digit pins, I was more worried if it got stolen and charges put on it. Our daughter had hers stolen and with in 1 hour hundreds of $ were put on it but, the bank did after many hours and days give it back. I'll check to see if we are covered by theft on purchases with our debit over seas.

Do you use a CC on purchases at all to carry less cash? I know there are fees on using them too but it sounds easier to me.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a modern day Luddite, but I still have an ATM card that is only that, not a combination credit card/ATM or debit card/ATM. I travel a fair amount for business and for fun and I like to keep things simple. I've used my ATM card (with the 4-digit PIN, as pointed out above) all over the world, from Iceland to Egypt to Kenya and all over Europe, with no problems. The only place I couldn't use it was China, but that was in 1997 and things may have changed since then.

I've always found the ATM card the most convenient and least costly way to get foreign currencies. I've been doing this since the late 1980's and have often been surprised by the places I've found ATM machines. I always try to use one associated with a bank, never the "private" machines you see in places like 7-11 stores. The oddest place I've ever seen one (but I didn't use it) was a shack at a crossroads out in the middle of Kenya as we were traveling from one camp to another. Amazing.

Ok thanks,

we do use 4 digit pins, I was more worried if it got stolen and charges put on it. Our daughter had hers stolen and with in 1 hour hundreds of $ were put on it but, the bank did after many hours and days give it back. I'll check to see if we are covered by theft on purchases with our debit over seas.

Do you use a CC on purchases at all to carry less cash? I know there are fees on using them too but it sounds easier to me.

I would use the debit card exclusively for cash via ATMs, and a credit card for purchases. And as euro cruiser pointed out, I prefer a true ATM card only, and not a combination ATM/Visa or Mastercard. If you must carry a Visa or MC-backed debit card, see if you can have the bank disable it for Visa/MC transactions and have it enabled only for ATM-based cash withdrawals.

Archived