Anyone been on NCL and Carnival?

My Aunt and her family are planning to cruise with us in January. We are leaning towards Carnival Liberty but another option is Norwegian Jewel. Her and her family have been once on Norwegian and loved it. I've never been on NCL but have been on Carnival 3 times (pre kids) and loved it. I'm not a party type and never was bothered by the atmopshere on Carnival. (I keep reading that it's knows as a party ship.....and rowdy.) We're going end of January so my guess is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there should not be tons of kids or college age kids on there, right?

We'll have 3 families we're with - us (2 adults, 2 1/2 yrs and 4 yrs), my inlaws (2 adults, 3 yr old and 6 yr old) and my aunt, her husband and adult son.

If they loved NCL, are they going to be disappointed in Carnival? And in terms of kids activities (pools, kid center, family activities) is one better than the other - between CCL and NCL?

Thanks for your help! I just don't want to pick one cruise line and then have everyone upset with me! haha

Been on both (NCL three times and Carnival twice with a third coming up) and I think if you are generally happy with one you will be generally happy with the other.

Biggest difference is the freestyle dining. No assigned dining times. You show up when you want to eat.

Otherwise I fined the differences minimal.

Been on both (NCL three times and Carnival twice with a third coming up) and I think if you are generally happy with one you will be generally happy with the other.

Biggest difference is the freestyle dining. No assigned dining times. You show up when you want to eat.

Thank you. That's good to know. I like the idea of showing up when you want to eat but so many of the restaurants with NCL charge a surcharge so most likely we'd mostly just stay at the places with no extra charge anyhow. Both parties (of the 3) who've cruised before are used to the assigned dining time so I don't think that would be much of an issue.

They're more alike than different. I hate assigned dining times and tables so I prefer NCL for Freestyle dining. You shouldn't encounter lots of kids at that time of year. NCL has LOTS of places to eat with no extra charge. I thought the food was a little better on Carnival but NCL has good food also with lots of variety.

Happy cruising:)

My Aunt and her family are planning to cruise with us in January. We are leaning towards Carnival Liberty but another option is Norwegian Jewel. Her and her family have been once on Norwegian and loved it. I've never been on NCL but have been on Carnival 3 times (pre kids) and loved it. I'm not a party type and never was bothered by the atmopshere on Carnival. (I keep reading that it's knows as a party ship.....and rowdy.) We're going end of January so my guess is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there should not be tons of kids or college age kids on there, right?

We'll have 3 families we're with - us (2 adults, 2 1/2 yrs and 4 yrs), my inlaws (2 adults, 3 yr old and 6 yr old) and my aunt, her husband and adult son.

If they loved NCL, are they going to be disappointed in Carnival? And in terms of kids activities (pools, kid center, family activities) is one better than the other - between CCL and NCL?

Thanks for your help! I just don't want to pick one cruise line and then have everyone upset with me! haha

Have been on both and no, I do think anyone will be disappointed regardless of which you choose. The biggest plus with Carnival in my view: cabin sizes and the biggest plus for NCL when there are so many little ones involved is free style dining. I know Carnival now has open dining but believe me, after experiencing freestyle and other forms, NCL has it down the best.

Both cruise lines offer an outstanding kids program so that is probably a wash. I haven't been on the Liberty but I have been on the Jewel.

You are right, there will not be a ton of college kids, probably none, as for kids, overall: no, it will not be like going during holiday season or summer but there seems to be lots of kids now days on all cruise ships.

Nita

Thank you. That's good to know. I like the idea of showing up when you want to eat but so many of the restaurants with NCL charge a surcharge so most likely we'd mostly just stay at the places with no extra charge anyhow. Both parties (of the 3) who've cruised before are used to the assigned dining time so I don't think that would be much of an issue.

As for sur chage dining rooms, NCL offers every bit as many free dining experiences as other lines and more than some. On the JEwel you have to two main dining rooms, the buffet, the grill and Blue Lagoon plus I think, but am not positive the Mexican (if you can call it that) has a free tapa bar even though they do charge for the actually dinners. As for extra charge, NCLs prices are less than other lines. I know many love traditional dining and it certainly has its positives, but with young children the timing can be an issue. Kids seem to like to eat when they want to espcecially when you are dealing with toddlers.

Nita

We've been on both as well and enjoy both equally. We were on Carnival Legend...very classy ship and great food. And we were on NCL Dawn...also a classy ship with good food.

If I had to choose between the two lines it would have to be NCL. I don't think I could ever go back to traditional dining. I do not want to have my vacation time controlled by our dining schedules and that's what ends up happening. You are out on an excursion and feel the need to hurry back to get ready for dinner....you want to go to a show so you have to make sure the time fits with your dining time....it's just all too controlled for us. We like being free.

The NCL ships offer just as many "free dining" options as other ships do, if not more. There are 2 main dining rooms, a 24 hour light snack cafe, a cook as you order type buffet, an outdoor BBQ grill by the pool as well as room service. The "pay" restaurants are just there as an added option for those who would like something more "upscale" or perhaps geared towards a particular culture...Italian, Asian, French, Mexican, Steakhouse. No one says you have to go to those but many other traditional cruise lines do not offer those options which we enjoy.

It is all up to you and how you like your cruise to go. We like casual and free to choose dining...but that's just us.

Been on both and loved both!

More pool activities on Carnival (hairy chest and that type) but NCL has trivia and other activities.

On Carnival we went with family and it was great to have a set time each day when everyone would get together to talk about their day.

On NCL it was just DH and I and we loved being able to eat when we wanted.

We found the food a little better on Carnival.

We pick a cruise first by the itinerary and then the cruise line.

• Administrators

I have sailed both before, and I sailed both again this year, and I agree that they are more alike than different.

Carnival now offers "any time" dining, so if the reason your family members like NCL has to do with the lack of assigned dining times and being required to be at the dining room at a certain point in the evening, you might want to opt for "any time." I know you said they are "used to" fixed dining -- but perhaps one reason they like NCL is they prefer not to have to schedule their evening around a certain dinner time?

I do love NCL's choices of restaurants, and I agree that they offer the same number and type of "included" dining options as Carnival. We love the specialty restaurants as well on NCL (we love having so much choice in food types), but it's easy for the two of us to budget to dine in the specialty venues -- it would be much spendier for your family. I think Carnival's dining room food is better than NCL's, but not significantly so, and my view of that is probably clouded by the fact that on the Canada itineraries this year Carnival is serving Maine lobster, not those dry Caribbean ones. :) Regardless, NCL's food is good to us, as well.

In terms of cleanliness, service, ship amenities, etc. I think they are roughly equal.

Because of freestyle dining, the waitstaff on NCL doesn't put on costumes and sing and dance in the main dining room like they do on Carnival (not a deal breaker for me, but it might be to you).

On the last morning NCL doesn't kick you out of your stateroom to wait in some lounge or bar -- you can stay in your cabin until your color is called (which is a very nice thing and I appreciate it a lot more after this summer on Carnival when I spent over 2 hours sitting on the floor waiting to be called to disembark).

I'm glad you love Carnival, but as others have said, they really are more alike than different, and you might consider trying a different line? You might find (as we did) that what you love about cruising is cruising, not a particular line. That in turn would open up open up many more vacation possibilities. I've posted many times that we book cruises based on itinerary and price, in that order -- which cruiseline doesn't even factor in unless those 2 things are equal. I'm happy about that because it means we know that we will be sailing somewhere we want to go, and that we got a good price -- that helps get every cruise off to a great start. :)

Have fun whatever you decide.

PS after re-reading your post I'm thinking maybe what you were really saying is "I'm booking Carnival unless there's something super-special about NCL so that my aunt would be disappointed?" If that's the case, go ahead and book Carnival. :) Your aunt and her family should think it's similar except for the whole main dining room thing -- and my last paragraph applies to them, too -- try it, they might like it and have broader choices in the future.

I may have given the misconception that I'm stuck on Carnival and trust me-I'm not! I would LOVE to try another cruiseline but the pricing on Carnival is much better. Well, not entirely true - the NCL Jewel is maybe $200 per cabin more and while $200 isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things - i keep thinking it's $200 that could be spend on drinks or souviners, etc! haha So in no way am I loyal only to Carnival so maybe I gave that idea and confused some.

I've been on Celebrity as well - but we weren't impressed. I actualy liked the food on Carnival better and Celebrity was too stuffy for me. The ship was so quiet, nobody in the bars or night clubs at 9pm! haha And while I'm far from a party person - it was odd to walk around and have things so boring in the evenings! The sihp was gorgeous but it wasn't all that I'd anticipated it to be.

Anyhow - i'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. I think maybe the pool area may be better on the Jewel for little ones than it is on the Liberty or Legend, but maybe I'm mistaken. It's hard to find photos of the kiddie area of pools for some strange reason!

we tried out NCL for the first time 3 yrs ago..mainly due to the Freestyle

experience we had read and heard so much about..

and found the cruise as much fun as any other cruise we had been on..including CCL..

its a different experience..being a little less structured..and little things

that make NCL unique..same could be said of CCL..

The biggest plus with Carnival in my view: cabin sizes and the biggest plus for NCL when there are so many little ones involved is free style dining. I know Carnival now has open dining but believe me, after experiencing freestyle and other forms, NCL has it down the best.

Our OV on the Splendor was huge compared to an OV on NCL.

Not all ships on CCL have open dining. And, we found the food bland and cold. Plus they want you to tip the Maitre d.

NCL's food - be it in the dining rooms or speciality restaurants, is much better than what we had on CCL.

Well, from the Fjord deck of the NCL Norwegian Sun in Ketchikan, I think there are more differences. 4 times with Carnival and now 1 with NCL.

1. NCL food stinks. At least in the non-specialty restaurants. Especially deserts. I'll comment on the specialty restaurants after Thursday.

2. The staff doesn't smile on NCL like they do on Carnival.

3. Two days with a busted AC (thank goodness we are cruising AK) before maintenance fixed it.

4. Room steward took until midway through day 2 to say "Hi" (never saw that on Carnival - usually he met us immediately).

And NCL is copying Carnival's towel animals?

I think the crappy food is to push you to the specialty restaurants where you pay.

And we miss having a table and getting to know our table staff. Its also fun to sit with new folks.

I don't know what category of cabins you are planning to book, but if you are able to go together and somehow book at least one suite for all of you to share along with whatever else you'd need for the overflow; then I would go with NCL. You will be completely spoiled by NCL's "suite life".

Otherwise, I agree that you would probably be happy on either. I like both lines.

I have sailed both... like both...but lately liking NCL more...

love freestyle dining (and they do have it perfected as opposed to new concept for CCL)...Carnival's rooms are a bit bigger..and they have great bedding..food enjoyable on both as is service. ( do love the "station" concept on NCL buffet as opposed to single buffet line--but not sure if on all ships).. never did go for the singing and dancing waiters or pool contests...so there NCL has the edge as being a bit more laid back and quiet (maybe not the right terms..but I am sure you know what I mean)

and yes.. like to be able to wait in room for disembarkment...so much nicer than being herded into waiting areas....

Berlitz Cruise Ship Guide scores:

Carnival Liberty

Ship=411/500

Accommadation=157/200

Food=218/400

Service=257/400

Entertainment=82/100

Cruise=258/400

Total=1383/2000

Norwegian Jewel

Ship=424/500

Accommadation=156/200

Food=287/400

Service=283/400

Entertainment=66/100

Cruise=300/400

Total=1516/2000

Looks like NCL Jewel has the clear advantage in every catagory expet exept entertainment, and they are near even in accommadation.

We have sailed both. I favor NCL for two important reasons:

1) Freestyle dining: I prefer to eat when I want with who I want

2) Disembarkation: On Carnival we sat in a lounge area for almost 2 hours before we were could depart. On NCL you can leave when you want and stay in your room until you are ready to leave.

I may have given the misconception that I'm stuck on Carnival and trust me-I'm not! I would LOVE to try another cruiseline but the pricing on Carnival is much better. Well, not entirely true - the NCL Jewel is maybe $200 per cabin more and while $200 isn't a huge amount in the grand scheme of things - i keep thinking it's $200 that could be spend on drinks or souviners, etc! haha So in no way am I loyal only to Carnival so maybe I gave that idea and confused some.

I've been on Celebrity as well - but we weren't impressed. I actualy liked the food on Carnival better and Celebrity was too stuffy for me. The ship was so quiet, nobody in the bars or night clubs at 9pm! haha And while I'm far from a party person - it was odd to walk around and have things so boring in the evenings! The sihp was gorgeous but it wasn't all that I'd anticipated it to be.

Anyhow - i'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. I think maybe the pool area may be better on the Jewel for little ones than it is on the Liberty or Legend, but maybe I'm mistaken. It's hard to find photos of the kiddie area of pools for some strange reason!

so you are saying Carnival is $200 per person less than NCL for the same itinerary? If that is the case even though I am a true NCL loyalist I think I would take Carnival. Does this include the extra person charges with all the port and government taxes?

Nita

For me - just me - NCL wins by a mile. So much more for, basically, the same amount of money. There seems to be no effort on Carnival toward "better" or toward "innovative." NCL has many more options - food, recreation, etc. - than Carnival. I dunno, NCL just seems so much more "alive" than Carnival to me. But that's me. (I reiterate. ;))

Although we have never been on the two ships that you are considering, we have been on both NCL and Carnival with our children. Let me quickly say that we all had a blast on both cruises, and if the difference is $200 per person, I would just go with the cheaper cruise. However, if the price were much closer, I would definitely choose NCL. The biggest NCL "selling factor" for us is the Freestyle Dining.

I HATE (I cannot stress that enough) buffet eating, because it is just too much work for me, since I am coordinating my food, along with the children's. I LOVE being served at a sit-down restaurant. Being able to show up on our own schedule for sit-down meals on NCL was absolutely wonderful. Trying to make it to the Carnival dining room at our assigned time was always a challenge, especially on port days.

I will say that NCL's kid's club seemed to have a better itinerary for our girls, but they still had fun at the Carnival's kid's club.

NCL freestyle and suite perks have me hooked. I'm theirs as long as they continue to meet and exceed my expectations.

Cruised Carnival once... Worst eggs benny ever served on sea or land. And I gotta have my eggs benny. Also too rowdy and loud for my tastes, although I do realize every cruise has a different feel.

Loved the Jewel. Would sail again without question.

• Administrators
NCL freestyle and suite perks have me hooked. I'm theirs as long as they continue to meet and exceed my expectations.

Cruised Carnival once... Worst eggs benny ever served on sea or land. And I gotta have my eggs benny. Also too rowdy and loud for my tastes, although I do realize every cruise has a different feel.

Loved the Jewel. Would sail again without question.

Popped back into this thread to comment how funny it is how people's experiences can vary. I thought the eggs benedict on Carnival this summer were by MILES the best I have ever had -- I even commented on it in my review, and I rarely single out food because it's not a big part of our cruise experience. I liked the eggs benedict on Triumph so much I ate it 2x during the 9 days and that's rare for me, because the dish is so rich and fattening. :)

Differences like that are one reason why I generally say "they are more alike than different" -- it's also true that "your mileage may vary" and "it's true today, it may not be tomorrow" and so on. The basic structure of the experience is very similar. On any given day or sailing there may be differences (sometimes significant ones).

Archived