Packing a Man's Suit coat...Ever try vacuum bags??

rpmljm

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ever put a suit jacket in one of those "Space Bags" that you pack and then vacuum out all the air. I was thinking that might work if we can't bring a garment bag. Has anyone ever done it and did the coat look OK when you took it out?

Now that airlines are charging for luggage, I didn't want to pay another $40 (20 each way) for a garment bag. According to airline rules, a garment bag, even folded in half is larger than the allowable carry-on dimensions.

I thought maybe the space bag would hold the jacket in the suitcase without much moving around.

Thanks!

Laurie

I find that things wrinkle in Space Bags, so I only use them for things that I don't mind wrinkly--like socks, underwear, pjs, heavy sweaters.

My husband packs his suit in the suitcase; it comes out fine.

Just pack it in your suitcase, inside a dry-cleaning bag. That allows the fabric to "slide" a bit, and it won't wrinkle. If you squish it down by taking all the air out, it will be a total mess when you arrive!

Pack it last, right before you close the suitcase. Never pack your stuff weeks and weeks beforehand...the longer they sit in the suitcase, the worse the wrinkles!

Just pack it in your suitcase, inside a dry-cleaning bag. That allows the fabric to "slide" a bit, and it won't wrinkle. If you squish it down by taking all the air out, it will be a total mess when you arrive!

Pack it last, right before you close the suitcase. Never pack your stuff weeks and weeks beforehand...the longer they sit in the suitcase, the worse the wrinkles!

Good advice on all counts. What you suggest is pretty much how I do it and the suit is almost wrinkle-free when I pull it out of the suitcase. I would also suggest taking it out of the suitcase and hanging it as soon as you get your luggage delivered to the cabin.

Thanks yogi2929!

Let me just post it directly here:

Since there seem to be new regulations, and subsequently a lot more concerns about space and packing...

I thought I would share this technique for packing a suit or just a jacket.

I've done this for years, and it saves so much space.

This is also for those people who are considering NOT packing a suit or tux - because they are concerned that garment bags are too big or bulky, etc.

With this technique, there is no packing reason to leave the suit behind.

This barely takes up any space, and retains the integrity of the suit's shape.

(I'm sure this would work for women's suits as well).

Click on this thumbnail, then on that page (to the right) where it says "Full size"

to get to a 5x7 printable size, in case you want to try the visual directions:

2418632550079337728IlbOCO_th.jpg

Here's one directly linked:

ab10c86a1e62d3adc11daace368c5ea1.jpg

Hang it in the bathroom with the shower on hot for a few minutes if you need, and you're good to go.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Pass it on!

Curt's technique certainly will work. It's also my personal experience that a good wool suit, if folded with a moderate amount of care, and placed in a plastic dry cleaner's bag, will steam out just fine in 10 minutes in a bathroom after a hot shower.

But now, I tend to skip the problem entirely. Since many cruise lines have changed their dress codes to smart casual and formal, I don't bring a suit. I rent a tux from Cruiseline Formalwear. Not tops for quality, but it looks elegant and I don't even have to think about packing issues.

And remember, you're on a cruise. People tend to ignore wrinkles (of all kinds) on a cruise.

I take DH's jacket, turn it inside out, fold it lengthwise down the back (so the lapels face each other on the inside of the fold), and then fold it over once, and put it in a plastic bag. Comes out great.

All I could think of when I saw the title was Home Improvement and Tim's "suit in a bag". It was one big wrinkle when he wore it.

When we're packing lighter, we use dry cleaning bags and they really keep most wrinkles out.

Archived