NEW DESIGN CHANGES planned for Solstice 4 and 5 ships!!

Rick-cruiser

Here's a newly released article regarding NEW DESIGN CHANGES planned for the Celebrity Solstice Class 4 and 5 ships.....

Celebrity Cruises plan design changes in Solstice 4 and 5

Written by Kari Reinikainen

Thursday, 30 July 2009 10:36

Celebrity is planning to introduce design changes in the fourth and fifth unit of the Solstice-class ships, according to Harri Kulovaara, EVP of Newbuildings at Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited. He told a news conference on board Celebrity Equinox, the second unit of the five strong class, that the time to decide the changes in now.

Kulovaara did not elaborate on what could be changed in the final, yet unnamed units of the class. He said that the design had been very solid and operational experiences of the Celebrity Solstice that was introduced last year had not required major changes in the subsequent vessels. The first two units of the class are thus very close to each other yet with a personality of their own. However, it is the company's intention to move the design forward within the same concept.

That's it for the article..... it's me again. Of course, at this point they're being very obscure with the actual design changes planned for Solstice 4 and 5... but I wonder what they are?

OK...let's go at it folks.. what are some of the changes you would like to see? If you had it your way, what would you like them to change / eliminate / add / restore ???

- Rick

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or has been posted before, forgive me if it has, I don't post much..........but I was just on a 2 night pre-inaugural of the Equinox and was told by a higher ranking staff member that the 4th ship will likely be called Silhouette. I guess we'll have to wait and see. That question was asked during the Q&A session with the CEO, Dan Hanrahan and he declined to answer.

We were on the Solstice in January and I think the ship is fanatastic. My only suggestion would be for the closet to be larger and more easily accessible. I know they moved the safe from the closet to the drawers by the dresser on the Equinox, but this doesn't help with hanging space and the difficulty in getting in there.

Change the tap in the bathroom so that it is not fixed as on Equinox but moveable. If you try to splash water on your face then you bang your head.

Most ladies said that they could not wash their hair in the small basin eithr due to the tap.

Here's a newly released article regarding NEW DESIGN CHANGES planned for the Celebrity Solstice Class 4 and 5 ships.....

Celebrity is planning to introduce design changes in the fourth and fifth unit of the Solstice-class ships, according to Harri Kulovaara, EVP of Newbuildings at Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited. He told a news conference on board Celebrity Equinox, the second unit of the five strong class, that the time to decide the changes in now.

Kulovaara did not elaborate on what could be changed in the final, yet unnamed units of the class. He said that the design had been very solid and operational experiences of the Celebrity Solstice that was introduced last year had not required major changes in the subsequent vessels. The first two units of the class are thus very close to each other yet with a personality of their own. However, it is the company's intention to move the design forward within the same concept.

That's it for the article..... it's me again. Of course, at this point they're being very obscure with the actual design changes planned for Solstice 4 and 5... but I wonder what they are?

OK...let's go at it folks.. what are some of the changes you would like to see? If you had it your way, what would you like them to change / eliminate / add / restore ???

- Rick

Sell them for scrap or to CCL, and keep the M class ships. Too many people!:mad:

With the economy being still bad and cruise lines having trouble filling their berths, it is not a good time to build new ships. It appears that most cruise lines are over building now, over expansion is more than often the main cause of business failures. It is better to have less business and higher profit than more business and more losses, and this applies to all businesses, not just cruise lines.

Sell them for scrap or to CCL, and keep the M class ships. Too many people!:mad:

Have you sailed on Solstice? I never felt the least bit crowded. Lots of passengers are ok if the ship is as well designed as these are. Also, I think (can't find the source offhand) that passenger to staff ratio are the same on these as on M class ships.

- Rick

Having been on Solstice- Need deep drawers &/or shelves for shirts, etc. A clothes line in the bathroom. Reposition the safe so we are not on our knees

Carole

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or has been posted before, forgive me if it has, I don't post much..........but I was just on a 2 night pre-inaugural of the Equinox and was told by a higher ranking staff member that the 4th ship will likely be called Silhouette. I guess we'll have to wait and see. That question was asked during the Q&A session with the CEO, Dan Hanrahan and he declined to answer.

:D If that's true, I am EXTREMELY grateful! Original rumors were that the 4th ship was going to be Celebrity Zodiac:eek:

I actually love the sound of Celebrity Silhouette. The only thing that I wonder about is that if this is true, than why did they name the Equinox's MDR Silhouette?

As for the design changes, this is about what I expected. By the time any real issues were found with Solstice's design, Equinox was too far into the build process to really change up the design, so they only added small changes like the expansion of seating for the Hot Glass Show. As for Eclipse, she may have some minor evolutions from Equinox, but she was also pretty far into the build process (steel cutting and block assembly) to change anything. S-Class 4 and 5 were the perfect canvases to make S-Class changes to.

I'm wondering if, on the 4th and 5th ships, we'll see any public room or restaurant changes, as to give the two final, "different" sisters a more unique feel.

We were on the 4/19 transatlantic, and loved the ship, not at all crowded feel to it! Except, when they tried to have mini shows in the hall area by the shops.....that was a disaster!:( Also the fashion show and sale day were a zoo! Couldn't see anything:(

It seems they need an additional small theater area for some of the entertainment, like karaoke. The one entertainment room, though pretty, is difficult to see the talent because of all the poles! Seats are all over the place, great to view the scenery, but not a show!

Another time they had a fantastic violin, fiddler and they had him in a bar area, again, with all the servers and waiters going right through and around him....very bad.

Also, the closet needs to be a little deeper, hard to hand clothes and close door.

Other than that - great ship!!! Loved it!!:)

The only place we felt there was too many people was at the pool area on sea days, other than that we never felt like it had too many people. This was on Solstice this past Feb.

Now the walk from the aft cabins to the elevator is another thing........

We were on the 4/19 transatlantic, and loved the ship, not at all crowded feel to it! Except, when they tried to have mini shows in the hall area by the shops.....that was a disaster!:( Also the fashion show and sale day were a zoo! Couldn't see anything:(

It seems they need an additional small theater area for some of the entertainment, like karaoke. The one entertainment room, though pretty, is difficult to see the talent because of all the poles! Seats are all over the place, great to view the scenery, but not a show!

Another time they had a fantastic violin, fiddler and they had him in a bar area, again, with all the servers and waiters going right through and around him....very bad.

Also, the closet needs to be a little deeper, hard to hand clothes and close door.

Other than that - great ship!!! Loved it!!:)

Can you contrast the Golden princess with the Equinox( if that is the ship you were on)?

i do not believe it is not included in your list of cruises.

I agree with the comment about the sink. It is very difficult to wash your face in the sink. My wife was always getting a lot of water on the floor.

I would also like to see them take away the jog in the Balcony cabins.

For the difference in price, the Aqua class cabins should be a little bigger than the others

Other than that, the ship is really fantastic!!

Dave

the 4th ship will likely be called Silhouette. I guess we'll have to wait and see. That question was asked during the Q&A session with the CEO, Dan Hanrahan and he declined to answer.

I think if that's what they ultimately choose its not an easy ship's name to spell by the masses and that will likely leave a negative perception in the long run.

we really loved Solstice but as long as someone may be asking here are some ideas:

add a T pool-- a must for Aqua class

the cabins could be wider--they have a long bowling alley feel to them..

change the toilet paper holder

trade a bigger closet for less storage in the bathroom

more drawer space

a nice cigar bar for those who are interested

better drink holders or mini tables..a must in the theatre..

maybe something else in place of the lawn (found it to be smelly & a waste of alot of space.. it was often "resting!")-- better use would be another few hot tubs or roof top pool! a garden idea is nice--not just the lawn...

maybe some other art attraction to replace the hot glass--

Guess we better get busy... we have one more booked on Solstice, another on Equinox--so we have to catch Eclipse & then move on to the new ones... did not feel overwhelmed with crowds so hope they don't add more cabins!

I agree with the T-pool. I really missed that. And don't try charging for it. The closet could be 2 or 3 inches deeper. Aft stairs would be nice but I am sure that would involve too much redesign.

In the conference center the two rooms need to have clearly separate and easy to use AV and climate controls.

I am sorry but the M class ships we love, but the design of the Solstice Class is the best ever, even versus a Land hotel. Working in design and Marketing I can tell you The solstice class are the best, only place we found lots of people was the pool deck, but hey thats on every cruise and its mostly seniors in the sun yet covered with robes and towels!

Just our opinion!

Archived