NEW DESIGN CHANGES planned for Solstice 4 and 5 ships!!

Rick-cruiser

I loved the Equinox.

I don't see the need for any major changes, but here is what I'd like:

Lounges and public spaces that are equally nice to the Equinox, but different enough that we won't think we're on the same ship. Decor and themes might be sufficient here.

Better ergonomics in the staterooms:

1. More storage Especially return of nightstands and more drawers)

2. Sheer curtains in addition to the light darkening ones

3. bathroom fixtures - hand held shower and better designed sink faucet

4. Closets need to be 2" deeper and wider if possible.

5. Covers on aft balconies - needed for privacy, soot protection, and protection from drain off from the washing of balconies above.

I'd love to see a larger walking, jogging path that wouldn't all be around the pool. While I love walking around the pool the traffic there is too heavy on sea day afternoons. The narrow path gets clogged with waiters, lounge chairs and people just moving around. Perhaps some of the lawn club area could be used for this. I still feel the lawn club is a big waste.

Just thought I'd try to do a quick MS Paint rendering of how fantastic these ships would look with the traditional X livery.

EquinoxProfile.jpg

Hi Marinearchit !

Great work ! That's exactly how I feel the S-Class ships should look. I've said it for a very long time..... without the X on the Funnel, and the Dark Blue paint, the S-Class looked somewhat naked.

Now that we have the beloved X back on the Funnel... I sure hope the Blue Paint will follow.

With the economy being still bad and cruise lines having trouble filling their berths, it is not a good time to build new ships. It appears that most cruise lines are over building now, over expansion is more than often the main cause of business failures. It is better to have less business and higher profit than more business and more losses, and this applies to all businesses, not just cruise lines.

Interesting! We are cruising on the Equinox on Dec. 4; and, about four hours ago, only one cabin remained, and that was a suite at $12,618.00 for two persons. Also, the next Equinox cruise only has about four or five vacancies. Ergo, somebody is doing something right.

Interesting! We are cruising on the Equinox on Dec. 4; and, about four hours ago, only one cabin remained, and that was a suite at $12,618.00 for two persons. Also, the next Equinox cruise only has about four or five vacancies. Ergo, somebody is doing something right.

Jack,

I agree! There is nothing in the competition's (HAL, Princess..,) fleet that can compete with this new class of ship. It is superior in so many ways.

I'm always trying different lines, but I must admit Celebrity has always been the "best bang for the buck" at sea!

With the weak economy I did pick up a few upscale bargains (Oceania, Cunard), but Celebrity will always be our first choice.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

In our view S-class ships are newer and larger; beautiful but not as practical as the M-class. I'm glad for all the cruisers who prefer the newness of "S" and leave the much better relative pricing on the superior accommodations and traffic patterns of Constellation and the other M class ships.

Spend some money upgrading the furniture and interiors of the older ships and I would go back to the new builds only to say "been there, done that, bought the T-shirt....

There is nothing on "S" or the new "E" that can improve life at sea viewed from an aft balcony on M-class. (other than the furnishings).

The new ships don't even provide a reading light for night time relaxing on a balcony, (I like to read and listen to the waves) and the lack of a sun shade aft also subjects various balconies with a daily coating of soot. I have not seen plans for correcting these issues, only reports that everyone is happy.

We enjoyed Solstice for three weeks, just enough to realize that newer does not necessarily imply better, just different.

Couldn't have said it better other than to add we found the buffet to be JAMMED especially on sail away. Too many people. After nothing but X for 10 years we are off to Azamara. 600+ people sounds like just what this Dr. ordered.

• 4 months later...

There are more cabins on the Silhouette. This is true on most decks. Check the picture of the Penthouse deck beside the Equinox. After I set the picture, I noticed the Silly also has an inside cabin at the aft of the ship.

sillyequinox-vi.jpg

I think the Silly is longer because I remember when =X= first said they were building these ships, the tonnage of the 4th and 5th in the class was larger.

In 2005, X announced the following,

The new ship, Celebrity's first wide-body construction, has a volume of 117,000 gross registered tons, and length and width of 1,033 feet by 121 feet, making it a post-Panamax vessel. The 1,425-stateroom ship accommodates 2,850 guests (double occupancy) and 1,250 crew."

I don't know if the Solstice is 117,000 GRT or 122,000 GRT.

The Solstice and Equinox are 121,878 tons. From what I can tell, it looks like Silhouette will have 3 new cabins in the stern from those deck plans. Im betting that they are just going to add a few in the back to give the stern a steeper angle and that is why it would appear that the ship is longer when in reality it willbe that the upper decks are a little longer. Holland America did a similar thing in their Vista class in comparison to the Signature class, steeper slope of the stern.

One other change on Silho. --non structural-- is the elimination of our favorite eatery Silk Harvest. Now it will be Q-sine.. nice to have something diff but the proposed menu is too "out there" for us... we'll see how it shapes up

we booked AQ class, so I hope we won't need to go elsewhere as much anyhow!

Did they make the seating area bigger & more sheltered for the Glass Show as we were told they might?

No luck getting a T pool yet..even a nice large hot tub in the Spa area would be nice (like on Royal's Navigator of the Seas)

Loved the coloring on the ship design shown above!

One other change on Silho. --non structural-- is the elimination of our favorite eatery Silk Harvest. Now it will be Q-sine.. nice to have something diff but the proposed menu is too "out there" for us... we'll see how it shapes up

This change actually will first be seen on Eclipse.

There are more cabins on the Silhouette. This is true on most decks. Check the picture of the Penthouse deck beside the Equinox. After I set the picture, I noticed the Silly also has an inside cabin at the aft of the ship.

sillyequinox-vi.jpg

It looks like they did lengthen the ship by adding at least one standard cabin's width to the aft section behind the rear hump. :) Bob, I wish you could post a picture of Silhouett's Deck 9 (couldn't get it to work). The one below is from Equinox. The verandahs for cabins 9295/9366 are no longer angled. However there is an angled verandah for the newly added cabins 9299/9374.

eq_panorama_deck_1348.gif

..... Im betting that they are just going to add a few in the back to give the stern a steeper angle and that is why it would appear that the ship is longer when in reality it will be that the upper decks are a little longer. Holland America did a similar thing in their Vista class in comparison to the Signature class, steeper slope of the stern.

If the upper decks were a little longer that might serve a purpose....

All the aft verandahs below the Resort Deck are tiered and uncovered which has been a source of disappointment with the Solstice class since they first came out. Here's an interesting thought: would the lengthening of the aft section of the Silhouette help to solve this problem somehow?

Sell them for scrap or to CCL, and keep the M class ships. Too many people!:mad:

In the past we preferred the smaller ships but after sailing 16 times on various ships we found the Solstice to be our very favorite. Only felt crowded the first day at the buffet. Can't wait to go again.:)

Sherry, your wish is my command. :D Assuming a cabin is about 10 feet wide, where did those 10 feet come from?

I think they will extend the ship when they build her. Kind of like when the add a section to a ship to make it longer?

• 1 month later...

Archived