Insignia Cruise Director

teacheroz

We just returned from the 7/14-26/09 Rome to Venice cruise on the Insignia and found our cruise director David P. to be distant and a bit arrogant. I know he was busy, but he transferred that attitude to the guests and was a bit dismissive at times.

For example, during the pool deck party at the end of the cruise, David was playing recorded music for dancing from his laptop. We requested some more Michael Jackson and he stated that if we wanted more MJ, we should go to the Horizon's Lounge. Odd I thought since David's laptop was right in front of him and I saw the file on the screen. All he had to do was click on the file to fulfill several guest requests.

Little thing I suppose, but those little things added up. We heard similar comments from other passengers (and even a couple off-guard crew members).

Anyone else experience this attitude? Or was I just a bit over-critical?

progress.gif

No, we have never reported it.

Since we don't take part in the games or entertainment other than the trio or piano concerts, it was of no importance to us.

We are also aware that David is a good and efficient person in many ways but maybe he's not quite the personality for the job.

If you wanted to report his apparent coolness, you would also have to report his efficiency and his excellence at management and communications. He does have an acerbic wit and can appear distant, but he has a large heart and is very involved in charitable functions. One had only to see his performance as Santa Claus among the poor Indian children in a village along the Amazon to see the other side of him. He is very good at running a "smooth ship" for the passengers and never fails to do the right thing. He tends to let the other members of his staff do the charm bit, which he takes care of efficient management. That's not to say that he is never friendly, but he frequently appears to be distant. Like many other "wonks", it is not his style to excessively fawn over the passengers. He is not an entertainer; he has barely passing skills as a magician and tells the same jokes over on each cruise.

We sailed with him once, and, did not care for him, most particularly at trivia. In fact, most trivia participants disliked him. Attendance regressed as the cruise continued.

Trivia on all ships is always considered to be based on "general Knowledge". David, however, would sometimes vary........one day all 20 questions were "cartoons".........another day animals, and, another day, mostly nursery rhymes. When questioned, his response was " It's what I wanted to do today".

There must be 2 Davids who are cruise directors. We have sailed many times with David Shermet on the Regatta and found him to be very personable, never arrogant. He is efficient and runs a tight ship. I guess that is why he has been around so long.

We were on Insignia June 5 sailing and found David P to be very friendly. When we first introduced ourselves, he invited us to share a table for lunch, and really was a fun person to talk to. He does seem to have a lot of details to take care of in his job, but I would not have considered him "distant". He appeared to be committed to making sure the passengers were having a good time, and that everything went according to schedule. He does have a dry sense of humor, but we like that.

Well,I don't normally say anything about staff, but David P (I believe from The Woodlands, Tx.) is not anyone we wish to rave or even compliment. I heard from several folks their dissatisfaction, but he is still there. I thought he was rude, arrogant, and I thought he wasn't very nice to the staff with whom I saw him interract. Guess he must come at the right price--but he sure leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. The others have been FAB.

We just returned from the 7/14-26/09 Rome to Venice cruise on the Insignia and found our cruise director David P. to be distant and a bit arrogant. I know he was busy, but he transferred that attitude to the guests and was a bit dismissive at times.

For example, during the pool deck party at the end of the cruise, David was playing recorded music for dancing from his laptop. We requested some more Michael Jackson and he stated that if we wanted more MJ, we should go to the Horizon's Lounge. Odd I thought since David's laptop was right in front of him and I saw the file on the screen. All he had to do was click on the file to fulfill several guest requests.

Little thing I suppose, but those little things added up. We heard similar comments from other passengers (and even a couple off-guard crew members).

Anyone else experience this attitude? Or was I just a bit over-critical?

progress.gif

I was on the Insignia in December of 2008. I found David arrogant as well, and also quite untalented as to his evening performances.

In February of '08 on a Valparaiso - Buenos Aires cruise a group of Trivia players spoke with the concierge (not sure of title - sits at desk on deck 4) about the Cruise Director's (David P) attitude and arrogance. A higher up was called out (hotel manager?) and listened to the concerns of the group. Within 24 hours there was a marked improvement in the Cruise Director's demeanor. He had become quite pleasant.

I have also been privileged to have sailed with David Shermet as cruise director. A lovely hardworking man.

David Shermit, David Peterson, Leslie Jon

They are all skilled at their jobs, different in their personalities, and each certainly runs Trivia differently. That said, would anyone last years and years at their position if he was truly arrogant? If he was subject to frequent negative feedback to management?

Could it be that David Peterson performs well and meets or exceeds management's criteria?

I think so.

DeanoNorthPerth--In regards to kids at the pool---I couldn't even understand why they were there. We booked this trip b/c everyone posted NO kids are on board due to lack of kid program. I was leaving mine home so I could have quiet vacation also. I did feel bad for the kids though--no programs?? What parent would do that to their kid or themself?

The overwhelming majority of the kids on 7/14 cruise were sweet as can be. Most of the teenagers were gracious, well-dressed, and engaged with many of the older passengers.

I will say there was one group of 4-5 teens who apparently thought they were superior to other kids on board and spent time making nasty comments to the un-cool (in their opinion) kids every time they passed them. One night, they were jumping into the pool from the raised hot tubs. I suppose no staff member saw them do this. As it was dangerous, my husband advised them to stop. After some dirty looks directed at my husband and other concerned adults, they complied.

Ah, kids. Didn't bother me though. Being a teacher, I am used to it. I understood they were part of a multi-generational vacation (seemingly the case for all the kids on board). Hey, how can anyone begrudge their presence. Had a fabulous time.

Cruise directors keep their jobs based on the comment cards passengers turn in..so it would seem that some people like him..if you dont, I suggest you make your feelings known on the comment cards of which everyone at O are very aware of..

Jancruz1

I thought I must be mistaken with his attitude, perhaps another day would be better. Nooooooooo, his attitude was the same every day. Rude and lacking any people friendly skills.

The same can be said for my stateroom stewardess, Kayti.

Kudos, to all the dining rooms staff!

Another note, Oceania should not wait until the morning we are in port to have a tourist office representative on board. Oceania can do as other lines do and that is to have in depth travel guides televised and/or have lectures on ports to be visited . Having a crush of people waiting for directions to the bus, maps etc is inconsiderate as most cruisers are interested in experiencing the sights. Time is valuable especially when you are in port for only a few hours and are at anchor. Time is lost taking the tenders.

Archived