Who flies in the day of embarkation?

jerseygirl79

Do you fly in the day of embarkation?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in the day of embarkation?

• Yes, I always fly in the day of embarkation.
    • No, I prefer to fly in a day or more before to start my vacation early.
    • I live close enough to drive to the port(s).
    • I've done both. I fly in earlier if I can, If I can't it's fine too.

If at all possible we will try to fly in the day before coming from MN, but if we can't, we can't.... that being said we have flown in 3 times the day of and never had a problem:) It is hard since we are already taking a week off of work to take additional days to travel to the vacation:rolleyes:

On Wednesday we are flying to Vancouver BC. We leave at 7:00am get to Vancouver at 11:00. We have to go through customs then we should be able to get on the transfer and get on the ship. We will be fine, the ship does not sail until 5:30.

We usually fly in a day early. But have had to fly in the same day 2 times. We really do not like the stress. We really wanted to go on this last cruise. It was a charter cruise. My wife's brother was getting married the day before. We could not fly out so we went ahead and booked the cruise and flight for the same day. We made sure there were back up flights behind ours and we took the first flight out. Well as we boarded the plane the flight attendant said. Where is all this water coming from? Well 3 hours later they removed us off the plane. They said they would have to get another one. We didn't think we were going to make it. They said they were just going to take the plane that was at the next gate. We made it to the ship with 15 minutes to spare. In our opinion it is not worth it.

My reasoning is that I don't like to be stressed out and rushed, in the event there were weather delays/mechanical issues etc I know I would be a stress bomb and for me it's no way to start a vacation. I like getting in a day early, relaxing and getting a good night sleep so I am refreshed and ready to go come cruise day :)

I have always flown the same day. However, after the last time, I would say if you can get into town the night before. Being there the day before will reduce your stress level. On my last trip (which left on a Sunday) we arrived at the airport only to find that the airline was not staffed to handle as many people as were there checking luggage. The line was long and even though we were at the airport close to two hours before the flight we almost missed it.

Next time I will probably go the day before. Actually next time is this week but we are taking a cruise that leaves for a port that is driving distance.

We have done both, but I prefer flying in the day before. It gets nerve racking to fly in the same day, cuz you don't know if you're going to be delayed at the airport, etc. In January, we'll fly in the day before. I like to relax and wind down, sleep in at the hotel, then head to the ship.

We have done it both ways. We have never (yet) had any problems with flying in the day of the cruise.

In the past, we have always booked our air through the cruise line, but next time we have booked our own flights and so are going down a day early. It was a little tricky since this cruise leaves on a Friday and we are working that Thursday, so we had to find an evening flight (not an easy task from our regional airport).

Pros and cons both ways, just like most everything else! Go with your gut...

After still almost missing a cruise a few years ago with flights booked the evening before - I don't just fly the day before, I book first thing in the morning the day before. Much less chance of flight problems with early flights vs. later in the day.

Just curious as I always fly in the day of, but I know many peolpe fly in before. Just wondering what is your reasoning.

Alot depends on where I'm flying to and from. If it is a coast to coast thing ALWAYS the day before, too many things can happen. If it is from N. California to LA or San Diego the day of does not worry me.

I voted for the driving one since we do drive most of the time since we live in central FL. But have flown the day of once. That is when we went down to San Juan. Its was only a two and half hour flight and a lot of flights leaving out of Orlando to San Juan.. So we had a lot of chances to get another flight if we had to.

But if we were going to Europe or Alaska I would probably go a day either, just because of the length of flights and connections... There is no way we could fly the day of to those places where we live.. :eek:

Always the day before, have a nice dinner out, pick-up any last minute items (suntan lotion, travel size shampoo, etc - easier than dealing with all of airplane security), settle in for a good night's rest, and not be worried about rushing around the next morning.

There are too many "what ifs" to deal with otherwise...Potential weather delays, flight cancellations, traffic problems, connecting flight problems, delay in getting luggage, etc

I like to fly in early.

But it's about 8 hours to drive to Mobile.

I would like to go down the day before, but it takes another day and the expense of a hotel room plus we can feed the dogs and cats before we leave and cut out one day of pet sitter, so we just leave really early.

Early enough so that in case of car trouble we can get a rental and still make it by 4:00.

Well, hopefully, knock wood...

Usually drive to the ports here in So Cal - Long Beach and San Diego, but when I'm flying to NYC or Miami or Orlando, I take the red eye. It leaves here about 10:30-11:00pm arrives on the east coast around 5:30-6:00am non-stop. The last time I was asleep before takeoff and had to be awakened by the flight attendant to get off the plane. I sleep like a baby on airplanes (must be because of the pure and righteous life I've led :rolleyes:).

Archived