buffet etiquette

bobbyfk

do you think its alright to not stand in line if you only want one thing from that particular station? just slip in, grab what you want and leave? or should you wait in the whole line for one thing?

I would wait in line, theres people in line that wants to grab just one thing.

I am on the side of letting people jump in quickly, though I don't usually jump in myself. Usually if I forget something, I just let it go, neither jumping in nor waiting in line again.

But for all those who don't think people should jump in, try this situation. You're at McDonald's and your ordered your child chicken nuggets. They forgot to give you the sauce and it's behind the counter not out at a condiment bar. Do you jump right to the register and quickly ask for a sauce or do you wait in line until all those in front of you order and get their food? Remember your child is hungry and you've already waited in that once.

But for all those who don't think people should jump in, try this situation. You're at McDonald's and your ordered your child chicken nuggets. They forgot to give you the sauce and it's behind the counter not out at a condiment bar. Do you jump right to the register and quickly ask for a sauce or do you wait in line until all those in front of you order and get their food? Remember your child is hungry and you've already waited in that once.

BBQ or sweet and sour?

Why should someone stand in a long line, waiting to get to just one item, when they already went through the line once and just happened to miss something?

Because it's not your turn anymore. It's someone else's turn and they already waited for it. What food item could possibly be so important that someone feels compelled to barge in front of somebody else who has been doing the right thing and waiting for their turn, just like we all learned in kindergarten?:confused:

One thing that I am concerned about at a buffet is that one person who wants to test out the sneeze guard.:eek:

Oh..Lets not forget that person that wants to grab without tongs!!

An occassional line breaker is nothing to worry about. Just get in, do it and get out!!

Because it's not your turn anymore. It's someone else's turn and they already waited for it. What food item could possibly be so important that someone feels compelled to barge in front of somebody else who has been doing the right thing and waiting for their turn, just like we all learned in kindergarten?:confused:

So I forgot butter for my croissant. Or the dish was out of cream cheese for my bagel when I went through but before I sit down I go back and see now that they have refilled the dish. You think I should go to the back of the line, letting the rest of my breakfast get cold, and go through it again to get a couple pats of butter or a container of cream cheese? I don't think so.

And I don't "barge" in front of someone to get the butter or cream cheese, I wait a moment for a break or slow-up in the line and I say "excuse me, could I please get some butter?" It takes all of 2 seconds. Sorry if it would bother you.

So now that this post has made me thoughtfully consider this situation I have concluded: please just jump in and grab your one thing and go!

It really seems to me that multiple people standing in line a second time to grab a container of butter or a roll actually make the line and wait longer for the rest of us. And really, isn't good etiquette just treating others the way you want to be treated? I would appreciate others letting me grab and go, and I will be glad to do the same for them - as long as they aren't rude or pushy.

And I don't "barge" in front of someone to get the butter or cream cheese, I wait a moment for a break or slow-up in the line and I say "excuse me, could I please get some butter?" It takes all of 2 seconds. Sorry if it would bother you.

I don't mind an "excuse me, could I please get some butter?" Heck, I'd probably grab you a handful. And maybe YOU don't "barge", but my experience has been that most line-jumpers DO. I cannot begin to count the number of times that I have been at a buffet waiting for my turn like everyone is supposed to do and when I reach for the tongs to put something on my plate, somebody else has jumped in front of me and grabbed them because they "forgot" to get the item their first time around. It's rude.

Who in their right mind only wants one item from the buffet????? :eek:

:D

No one I know!! But sometimes when you just waited on that long buffet line. You realize you forgot something. So, you get in for a quickie grab only. Its ok:p

No one I know!! But sometimes when you just waited on that long buffet line. You realize you forgot something. So, you get in for a quickie grab only. Its ok:p

Thats what the second (or third) trip to the buffet is for.....:D

Does anyone think that those who have chosen to wait in line like the others would say no if someone asked to butt in?

I never mind if they ask politely...usually it's something they forgot...like milk for their cereal...LOL...it's tough to think straight before you have your coffee.

But if they are rude and try to push their way...no way.

Usually people politely ask if they can grab something....no problem with that.

:cool:

I don't mind an "excuse me, could I please get some butter?" Heck, I'd probably grab you a handful. And maybe YOU don't "barge", but my experience has been that most line-jumpers DO. I cannot begin to count the number of times that I have been at a buffet waiting for my turn like everyone is supposed to do and when I reach for the tongs to put something on my plate, somebody else has jumped in front of me and grabbed them because they "forgot" to get the item their first time around. It's rude.

You know, it's kind of a societal problem and it affects us in lots of places, not just the buffet. The fact is that people aren't always nice enough to let someone in, even if they are nice about it. So if you expect people to be jerks and not let you get the butter that you forgot, you just try to jump in and get it. It probably looks pretty rude to do it that way, but that is how we are programmed. I will give my highway traffic example again...

Did you ever need to change lanes and think that maybe putting on your blinker is a bad idea? Why? Because as soon as your blinker goes on the jerks in the other lane speed up, crowding the space you wanted to get into. So you have to be covert and pretend like you aren't going the change lanes, and then change quickly.

(oh and my gluttony comment was made in jest.)

I always stand in line, even if just want bacon. If there is a lull or gap in the station and the line isn't moving, I'll bypass those waiting on omlets, get my bacon and go.

I don't jump in between people if there isn't space or if the line is moving to grab something.

I usually reach in to grab a milk, since that an a pastry are about it for me for breakfast. I've never been a big breakfast eater. For lunch, I usually hit the deli (although if not, I've been known to ask if I could break in to grab some pickles). So I am one of the "rude people"...but I at least ask politely and don't just push my way in.

Don't forget the rude people who live to poke you in the back with their tray as they are trying to push you through the buffet lineuhh.gif...and people who take, put it on their plate and realize then they don't want it and put it back on the buffet line! barfbarf.gif Even worse are the people who start eating directly from the buffet line. nom-you.gif

You know, it's kind of a societal problem and it affects us in lots of places, not just the buffet. The fact is that people aren't always nice enough to let someone in, even if they are nice about it. So if you expect people to be jerks and not let you get the butter that you forgot, you just try to jump in and get it. It probably looks pretty rude to do it that way, but that is how we are programmed. I will give my highway traffic example again...

Did you ever need to change lanes and think that maybe putting on your blinker is a bad idea? Why? Because as soon as your blinker goes on the jerks in the other lane speed up, crowding the space you wanted to get into. So you have to be covert and pretend like you aren't going the change lanes, and then change quickly.

(oh and my gluttony comment was made in jest.)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how someone is a "jerk" when they don't let a person in line in front of them. They've been waiting for their turn as long, or longer, than the person trying to steal their place in line.....

I don't mind at all if someone just needs to grab something they forgot or just wants one more slice of bacon or something. It's common courtesy to me if they just want to grab and go.

What does just slay me are the people who think making a salad is an art form. COME ON!! I've seen them really hold the line up in a way that is VERY self-absorbed. It's a stinkin' salad already. LOL :D:eek:

That's what I meant about the salad bar. It should be in a separate section. People want four olives, not five....ten croutons, not eight....HURRY UP! :rolleyes:

It can be a new dining area all by itself... The OCD Salad Bar. lol

I don't mind at all if someone just needs to grab something they forgot or just wants one more slice of bacon or something. It's common courtesy to me if they just want to grab and go.

it helps everyone....it takes 2 seconds to let someone grab something they forgot and asked nicely to get...if we made everyone get back in line for 1 item they forgot, does everyone realize how long the buffet lines would get?

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It can be a new dining area all by itself... The OCD Salad Bar. lol

ROFL!! Oh MY GOSH!! You guys have seen the same salad makers I have! :D

They're also kind of a fascination for me. Have you ever noticed how they literally inspect every piece and sort of...judge if it's salad worthy? I hope I didn't miss some salad prep class somewhere and have really been doing a disservice to the art of salad making. I sort of exemplify the term...tossed salad. ;)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how someone is a "jerk" when they don't let a person in line in front of them. They've been waiting for their turn as long, or longer, than the person trying to steal their place in line.....

I think we are talking about someone who has already waited in line but just needs to go grab one thing they forgot. Not someone who hasn't waited already. But my point is the same, why can't we be a little courteous if it isn't going to really slow us down all that much? Do we really think that someone should wait in a long line to grab one item? Are we that self absorbed?

Archived