buffet etiquette

bobbyfk

Absolutely no problem to let someone cut in line and grab something and go as long as they're courteous about it. I'll recipricate by being courteous and letting you pop in. It's just a friggin' buffet line.

Come on people; just common courtesy.

Does anyone think that those who have chosen to wait in line like the others would say no if someone asked to butt in?

But if I'm in line for say a custom made omelet and waiting anyway, who cares if someone jumps in a grabs a roll or some hash browns?

As long as it's not someone jumping in for something custom made and there is a break in line, I say politely ask the person your stepping in front of.

I had this happen on a Celebrity cruise in the waffle line. A line of at least 30 people were waiting for omelets and I wanted simply some blueberries from the line, I politely asked and got RIPPED, so I moved on.

I guess if people feel they need to guard their food so jealously they need it more than me :rolleyes: I did without the blueberries cause I'll be damned if I waiting 20 minutes or better in line and letting my food get cold for some stupid syrup (oh but those blueberries were good :()

Anyway I let them cut if it's a quickie and they ask nice.

Carole

LOL hmmmn now we have the beginings of a new vernacular ....foodline hogs...

if someone needs to get at someting real quick have at it... its all good..im on vaction... and we all know the pitfalls if cruising... starvation is not one of them...

have fun

I totally think it depends on the item you want. If it's a "grab-n-go" item (banana, carton of milk, roll, pat of butter, etc) then sure...ask me if you can grab it and be gone. If it's something you need to actually scoop and put on your plate (scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, vegetables) then go to the end of the line!

I'm getting this vision of a mob of people who have been starving in the woods for weeks fighting over a piece of bacon. Designing a salad for the Iron Chef presentation. Rehearsing their sumo moves for weeks before the cruise.

Think I'll bring the movie camera.

when it comes to standing in line at buffet, how about not eating once something hits your plate. fill er up then sit down and chow, but dont eat over the food.

yeah that's gross

As a general rule, please just wait.

That said, there are times when we need to be polite and respectful enough to allow others to line jump. On the Legend a few years ago, there was a precious couple, like teenagers in love but at least 70+ yos. She was using a walker, he a cane. God love him, hew would get her plate and then return for his own. (Once we figured this out, our dds would help or ask if the needed anything)The people that were "offended" by his line jumping about caused me to go bolistic :eek:.

IMHO, it's a matter of caring for each other and having high expectations of our own choices and actions.

I'm getting this vision of a mob of people who have been starving in the woods for weeks fighting over a piece of bacon. Designing a salad for the Iron Chef presentation. Rehearsing their sumo moves for weeks before the cruise.

Think I'll bring the movie camera.

One does not need to be starving to justfiy fighting over a piece of bacon. It's bacon for crying out loud. I remember my dismay on RCCL when they had a server start handing out the bacon, 2 slices at a time rather than just a big bin of bacon and help yourself. Did I mention I love bacon?

yeah that's gross

this is my biggest pet peeve, somebody eating while going through the buffet line munching on things. That should not be done. They eat something, put it in there mouth and touch the tongs and spread there germs. That is why so many people get sick. I have seen it a lot. Disgusting.:rolleyes:

On my last cruise there was a family of 4 in front of me and a woman just came up from nowhere and barged in line between the 2 daughters...Got one thing and then turned around and got back in line again....The only problem I had was there was NO ONE behind me!!!!..so she got in line 2 places from the end of the line, thats very impolite....dennis

this is my biggest pet peeve, somebody eating while going through the buffet line munching on things. That should not be done. They eat something, put it in there mouth and touch the tongs and spread there germs. That is why so many people get sick. I have seen it a lot. Disgusting.:rolleyes:

It's just one of the reasons why I'll probably just end up in the fetal position in my room one day.

The only effective way to keep the line jumpers out is to stay close to the other person in line:eek:. Then that creates another problem. Tailgateing!!!

Just ask me nicely, I dont want to hear your life story or how badly you need that extra piece of chicken. Just go in quick, grab it and LEAVE!!

No offense to those of you who think this is ok, but I don't and have always found it rude. I am polite and say yes if someone asks, but it does always bug me a little bit. Kind of like, "Who made you special enough to not wait in line with the rest of us?" Yes - I am the person who will choose to wait in the line for only one item as I think that's what's fair to everyone and the polite thing to do.

lol, I would wait in line for one item too.

If I have already waited in line & forgotten something like butter or a roll, I will walk back up with my full plate & ask whoever is at the point, "Excuse me, but I forgot to grab <insert item>. Do you mind if I grab it quickly?" If I have not waited in line yet & only wanted one item, like a piece of fried chicken or prime rib, I would wait in line. I'm not more important than anyone else & can easily wait my turn in line. I personally do not mind if someone has forgotten something & asks to quickly grab it. But to just jump in to get one item when they haven't even waited in line once, rude.

This reminds me of our Liberty cruise. We had problems ALL WEEK with this. People would elbow their way in and not ask, seriously, shoving/pushing... It drove me crazy! DH ended up shoving a guy a bit for doing it to him... You could tell they were not standing in line like everyone else, they did this for every item on the buffet they wanted! I think it was the crowd that was on the ship at that time. I will not elaborate because it isn't fair to everyone from this "area" to generalize the whole group, but I hope I never cruise with them again! RUDE and LOUD!

I really do not mind if someone needs 1 thing and it doesn't hold up the line, but please ask and don't try to wedge between people in line!

Don't!

Its totally rude to break line for anything - I don't care if its a butter pat, a sweet and low or a glass of tea. Its appauling to even see happen - this bad behavior infuriates everyone who follows order and gets in line like you are supposed to.

Its not a free for all, just get in line and wait, stop being so rude and self centered! And teach your family/children how to behave or don't bring them.

Don't!

Its totally rude to break line for anything - I don't care if its a butter pat, a sweet and low or a glass of tea. Its appauling to even see happen - this bad behavior infuriates everyone who follows order and gets in line like you are supposed to.

Its not a free for all, just get in line and wait, stop being so rude and self centered! And teach your family/children how to behave or don't bring them.

Obviously, you haven't read all the responses or you wouldn't have spoken for EVERYONE. Most people do not mind someone asking to grab a pat of butter or a roll when they've already been through the line. You know, those people that wait in line like they are supposed to.

And it's appalling, not appauling.

Archived