buffet etiquette

bobbyfk

I have no problem with someone asking me if they can grab this or that quickly. It takes two seconds, it's not that big of a deal. It's not going to cause me to waste away and die of hunger if I let someone grab an item off the buffet, and it's the courteous thing to do for someone.

Why should someone stand in a long line, waiting to get to just one item, when they already went through the line once and just happened to miss something? And if they do go through that long line again, just to get one item, their food at their table is getting cold.

Maybe some think it's rude to jump the line for one item, but I think it's more rude that someone would tell a person "no, go to the end of the line."

I completely agree with you. Good things only come to people who do good things.;) I do not see the harm of letting someone in just to grab one item. What I do not like is when I am standing in a long line and all of a sudden the person in front of me has 3 or 4 friends that jump in with him after I am waiting my turn. That I find most annoying.:eek:

No, i dont think you should have to stand in the back of the line for one item you know you want. I always let people step infront of me to grab a dessert or a side of a hot dish in the buffet. Usually the line is not person to person, usually there are big gaps anyways.

-David

I don't mind someone grabbing one thing if they have asked but I've been in line when someone has reached over my tray and ladeled something out in a bowl over my food. Excuse me! That is rude! I said to the man, I'm sorry you didn't see me standing here.

i have to agree letting somone in to get one small item is fine. it only takes a second. if you have to wait in line for the one item you forgot and really wanted and the rest of your meal was getting cold. it would be simpler to just throw it out and waste food and get a complete fresh meal. as i said before let them in.takes only a second. no one should jump in and tie up the line for multiple items though

I have, but only if there is a break in the line with someone taking longer at one spot, and then only to grab maybe a roll, a quick desert or something that does not need spooning out. I would never go in front of someone and make the whole line wait.

If you are going to that, this is the best way to go about it.IMO

Don't!

Its totally rude to break line for anything - I don't care if its a butter pat, a sweet and low or a glass of tea. Its appauling to even see happen - this bad behavior infuriates everyone who follows order and gets in line like you are supposed to.

Its not a free for all, just get in line and wait, stop being so rude and self centered! And teach your family/children how to behave or don't bring them.

Do you play golf? Faster players, 'play through'. It's only rude if you inconvenience others.

I'm surprised you're from the south, because manners are not quantified in these situations. You can't be serious to expect someone to wait until 23 guests fill their plates with main courses in order to get more sweet tea--which is at the end of a line filled with items you have no interest in partaking?

Or perhaps, you don't understand the situation..a line where people grazing on items that do not interest you..and there's a break in the line above them..you just need the butter, tea, or a bit of cheese. Do you wait for everyone to get their main dishes..and mechanically return to the line behind them to get a refill for a glass of tea?

If I'm making a salad...filling my plate with something..there is absolutely no rudeness involved for someone 'skipping' me, 'playing through' while they go for their choices. It speeds the flow..and that's really the point.

I have no problem with someone grabbing an item. It seems utterly ridiculous for that person to stand in line a second time for a single item. Not only will that person food get cold but the table would be occupied longer preventing someone for finding a seat to eat.

There is a segment of the cruisers who are downright discourteous.

The worst is the line at the burger joint. When they run out and a billion people are waiting for a burger I ask nicely if they mind if I go around them to get my chicken strips or hot dog for my son. I dont think its wrong to not wait or if someone asks me is something is holding up the line.

I too vote for moving the salad away from the front of the line at the buffet. YOu get stuck forever behind those people picking out one piece of lettuce at a time

I'm sure it's been said, but the way I see it....I'm on vacation! :D If you need something (a SINGLE something) just ask, I'd be more than happy to let you in line! Now at home, it may be a different story.....lol

we ll wait in line like everyone..there s really no hurry..

there are way s to keep line s moving though..like a salad station..it seems like bottle neck occurs while people are trying to decide what to

throw on their salads..

and though the main courses are usually moving pretty good..you have to go back for the gravy once your meat is carved..i say move the gravy towards the end of the main course s..where you can choose to put it on

the meat or not..or on the rice & potatoes..

Do you play golf? Faster players, 'play through'. It's only rude if you inconvenience others.

Faster players play through. They do not, however, jump in front of ten outher foursomes in order to play through.

It's one thing for me to move around the person directly in front of me in line if he or she is filling a tray with salad. It's another thing to jump ahead of twenty other people, most of whom can't see what's going on at the head of the line.

My view is that if you are getting something that won't hold anyone else up, like a roll or a bowl of cereal AND you ask permission, it's okay. If however, it's going to take time for you to get whatever it is you want (by ladling out something from a tray), that you wait your turn.

this is my biggest pet peeve, somebody eating while going through the buffet line munching on things. That should not be done. They eat something, put it in there mouth and touch the tongs and spread there germs. That is why so many people get sick. I have seen it a lot. Disgusting.:rolleyes:

People can have dirty hands before they touch the tongs whether they eat food in line or not.

No offense to those of you who think this is ok, but I don't and have always found it rude. I am polite and say yes if someone asks, but it does always bug me a little bit. Kind of like, "Who made you special enough to not wait in line with the rest of us?" Yes - I am the person who will choose to wait in the line for only one item as I think that's what's fair to everyone and the polite thing to do.

Besides - asking the person you are cutting in front of is one thing, but what about everyone else? Shouldn't they have a say, too? If everyone who "just wanted a little something" tried this the buffet would be sheer chaos and those who were waiting in line would never make it to the front.

Either wait in line, or wait for the line to die down. The only really long buffet lines I've ever seen are at peak times tend to die down pretty quickly. It's one thing to run up to the condiment area and grab a pat of butter where there's usually no one waiting, but I say if you want a "main dish" item - bacon, or has browns, or toast, etc. you need to wait in line with everyone else.

I haven't read through the thread yet but say " BRAVO" This is my exact sentiment.

The right thing to do would be wait in line. I have had people ask if they could get something, and I have let them and didn't really think much of it.

Thanks for making the line twice as long by forcing people who ask politely to grab one item get in line instead of giving them 2 seconds to grab something they forgot.

The rest of the ship's passengers appreciate you making the lines, and their wait for food longer than need be.

YOU ROCK!!!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for making the line twice as long by forcing people who ask politely to grab one item get in line instead of giving them 2 seconds to grab something they forgot.

The rest of the ship's passengers appreciate you making the lines, and their wait for food longer than need be.

YOU ROCK!!!

:rolleyes:

I think you read the post too quickly. Though they said that waiting in line was the right thing, they also said they have let people in without it being an issue.

As far as what item someone is getting, I don't think anything really takes that long. Even if it needs to be scooped. Big deal. If I get my family seated and eating and my kid sees that they have mac and cheese and he didn't see it before, what's wrong with me asking to cut in and grab a scoop. Now don't misunderstand, I would definitely be looking for a break in the line and I would probably not run right up if it was crowded and my kid had other food to eat. But if there is a gap and someone sneaks in to get one more thing, big deal.

Heck, I even think it's okay to go around someone who is taking too long (if there is a lot of space ahead of them).

People can have dirty hands before they touch the tongs whether they eat food in line or not.

So true!! Somebody goes to the bathroom, doesn't wash their hands, gets in the buffet line and touches a dozen tongs/spoons to put food on their plate. Everyone behind them touches those same tongs/spoons, even though THEY washed their hands, and now THEY have all those germs on THEIR hands too.

And the people that refuse to go to the buffet because of "all those germs" and go to the dining room instead. Well, there are germs on the chair you just pulled out from the table with your hand, and there are germs on the sides where you just put your hands to scoot yourself up to the table. You pick up the salt and pepper, they have germs too.

You can't get away from germs, no matter where you choose to eat.

Use common sense, wash your hands with warm water and soap often, and don't touch your eyes or your mouth with your fingers. That's about all you can do, really.

So true!! Somebody goes to the bathroom, doesn't wash their hands, gets in the buffet line and touches a dozen tongs/spoons to put food on their plate. Everyone behind them touches those same tongs/spoons, even though THEY washed their hands, and now THEY have all those germs on THEIR hands too.

And the people that refuse to go to the buffet because of "all those germs" and go to the dining room instead. Well, there are germs on the chair you just pulled out from the table with your hand, and there are germs on the sides where you just put your hands to scoot yourself up to the table. You pick up the salt and pepper, they have germs too.

You can't get away from germs, no matter where you choose to eat.

Use common sense, wash your hands with warm water and soap often, and don't touch your eyes or your mouth with your fingers. That's about all you can do, really.

I think it's funny you mentioned the salt and pepper shakers... People who go out to eat with me always laugh because if I touch a ketchup bottle, salt/pepper shaker/table/chair/booth/pretty much anything except my silverwear, I have to either go wash my hands, use hand sanitizer, or both! I guess I'm a germaphobe.

I get freaked out at the buffet because of all the hands that are touching everything, but what can you do? One thing that really upsets me is when people go through grabbing things without using the tongs and rubbing their nose/chewing on their fingernails. It gags me! :eek:

I think you read the post too quickly. Though they said that waiting in line was the right thing, they also said they have let people in without it being an issue.

oops darn...my bad...so sorry...never post before having coffee.

Wow...I definitely read that wrong.

I'll ban myself for the day...LOL

sorry about that.

Archived