buffet etiquette

bobbyfk

do you think its alright to not stand in line if you only want one thing from that particular station? just slip in, grab what you want and leave? or should you wait in the whole line for one thing?

do you think its alright to not stand in line if you only want one thing from that particular station? just slip in, grab what you want and leave? or should you wait in the whole line for one thing?

I have, but only if there is a break in the line with someone taking longer at one spot, and then only to grab maybe a roll, a quick desert or something that does not need spooning out. I would never go in front of someone and make the whole line wait.

Main buffet table, wait in line, side tables for drinks, desserts, bread, jump in and get what you need, there is no order at those tables anyway. Feel free to line jump the gaukers at the main table though, just make sure and annouce what you are doing.

I think it's okay..

Just say excuse me,just ask if you can

jump in quick........

At breakfast,,I like bacon with my

omelet,,,,I go to the omelet line

order my omelet,,,,then ask If I can jump

inline quick to get some bacon....

Most people are nice,,and would let you

jump in quick.....

No offense to those of you who think this is ok, but I don't and have always found it rude. I am polite and say yes if someone asks, but it does always bug me a little bit. Kind of like, "Who made you special enough to not wait in line with the rest of us?" Yes - I am the person who will choose to wait in the line for only one item as I think that's what's fair to everyone and the polite thing to do.

Besides - asking the person you are cutting in front of is one thing, but what about everyone else? Shouldn't they have a say, too? If everyone who "just wanted a little something" tried this the buffet would be sheer chaos and those who were waiting in line would never make it to the front.

Either wait in line, or wait for the line to die down. The only really long buffet lines I've ever seen are at peak times tend to die down pretty quickly. It's one thing to run up to the condiment area and grab a pat of butter where there's usually no one waiting, but I say if you want a "main dish" item - bacon, or has browns, or toast, etc. you need to wait in line with everyone else.

Does anyone think that those who have chosen to wait in line like the others would say no if someone asked to butt in?

I would if they just wanted to "break in line". As a matter of fact, I've flat said to some people, "OH no!, the line starts back there!" and then proceeded to move BACK in front of them and continue on as though they didn't exist. Rudeness is unacceptable to me. Manners are free and everyone should have some. If you don't, yeah...I may help you figure it out. ;)

I don't consider sliding in to get that piece of bread you forgot, or grab one more piece of bacon, breaking in line. I'm more irritated by those people who bog the line down by standing in line for those one things and the people who think making a salad is an art form.

Speaking of bad etiquette...Please don't have your friends who are ahead of you in line take food for you because it's running out and will be gone by the time you get there. I was in the buffet line..a man in front of me was friends with a man a few people behind me. The man behind me told the man in front of me to grab him a hamburger because they were almost out. The man did and I had to wait almost 10 minutes for more to be made because he took the last one. I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal...but it was to me at the time because I waited in a VERY long line with a back injury. Also...when usuing the ice machine....if your ice falls all over the ground when filling your cup...PLEASE be curtious and at least attempt to kick it aside or pick it up. I almost wiped out with a tray and drink!:eek:

There are some looooong buffet lines out there. Many stations, and sometimes each station is separated. So, I tend to think of each station as it's own line. If there is no one in front of a particular dish, and I just want to grab a serving of it, I'm not inconveniencing anyone if I do.

However, if you squeeze into a busy station, you are probably making someone else wait - don't do that.

It's funny listening to people who won't let someone in line for one item because "it is rude". I think it's rude of people to not have a little common courtesy. Someone jumping in line to grab one more sausage, or maybe the croutons they didn't see at first is not going to slow the line down. Having them stand in line for that one item is ridiculous. Those of you that would be forceful in keeping them out of the line are probably the people that speed up when someone wants to get in your lane on the highway, or when they are trying to take a turn in front of you. God forbid anyone slow your chance at gluttony. :)

It's funny listening to people who won't let someone in line for one item because "it is rude". I think it's rude of people to not have a little common courtesy. Someone jumping in line to grab one more sausage, or maybe the croutons they didn't see at first is not going to slow the line down. Having them stand in line for that one item is ridiculous. Those of you that would be forceful in keeping them out of the line are probably the people that speed up when someone wants to get in your lane on the highway, or when they are trying to take a turn in front of you. God forbid anyone slow your chance at gluttony. :)

So jumping in line to "grab one more sausage" equates to the people in line being gluttons how? :confused:

I have no problem with someone asking me if they can grab this or that quickly. It takes two seconds, it's not that big of a deal. It's not going to cause me to waste away and die of hunger if I let someone grab an item off the buffet, and it's the courteous thing to do for someone.

Why should someone stand in a long line, waiting to get to just one item, when they already went through the line once and just happened to miss something? And if they do go through that long line again, just to get one item, their food at their table is getting cold.

Maybe some think it's rude to jump the line for one item, but I think it's more rude that someone would tell a person "no, go to the end of the line."

If you have to slow or halt the process of the line at all, don't do it, you are just making the lines worse. That's sort of like those people who know there is an accident in the right lane ahead, and instead of getting over like everyone else, they rush ahead to the very last moment and get mad if you don't let them over. Yeah, they may have gotten ahead of 10 cars or so, but the whole line would be moving faster if everyone would just cooperate.

On the other hand, if I am grabbing something that is literally grab and go, and I see a lull in the line (someone spooning out some eggs or something), then I have no problem jumping in to grab it. I also have no problem with a person going around people who are stopped waiting for something that person doesn't want...

Archived