buffet etiquette

bobbyfk

It's funny listening to people who won't let someone in line for one item because "it is rude". I think it's rude of people to not have a little common courtesy. Someone jumping in line to grab one more sausage, or maybe the croutons they didn't see at first is not going to slow the line down. Having them stand in line for that one item is ridiculous. Those of you that would be forceful in keeping them out of the line are probably the people that speed up when someone wants to get in your lane on the highway, or when they are trying to take a turn in front of you. God forbid anyone slow your chance at gluttony. :)

Guilty as charged:D Only because they cannot wait one second for me to pass.......just like a buffet line:D

If everyone just took their turn........nothing would get bogged up and every thing would run more smoothly.......

I am on the side of letting people jump in quickly, though I don't usually jump in myself. Usually if I forget something, I just let it go, neither jumping in nor waiting in line again.

But for all those who don't think people should jump in, try this situation. You're at McDonald's and your ordered your child chicken nuggets. They forgot to give you the sauce and it's behind the counter not out at a condiment bar. Do you jump right to the register and quickly ask for a sauce or do you wait in line until all those in front of you order and get their food? Remember your child is hungry and you've already waited in that once.

That is not a buffet line:confused: Bad analogy:rolleyes:

Guilty as charged:D Only because they cannot wait one second for me to pass.......just like a buffet line:D

If everyone just took their turn........nothing would get bogged up and every thing would run more smoothly.......

More specifically I'm talking about when there is plenty of room in the lane and they speed up to fill the gap. Funny that once you actually make your lane change they slow down again.

But my point is the same, why can't we be a little courteous if it isn't going to really slow us down all that much? Do we really think that someone should wait in a long line to grab one item? Are we that self absorbed?

Well, I think the key is that someone else mentioned you should ask nicely. It's kind of crappy if you forgot something, but the reality is that once you have left the line, your turn is over. The person being the "jerk" is the person who thinks they are entitled to have a 2nd turn at getting something from the buffet without first politely asking the person already waiting for that favor of getting in front of them. The self-absorbed person is NOT the one who has been patiently waiting for their own turn. :)

Even worse are the people who start eating directly from the buffet line. nom-you.gif

THAT irritates me to no end. On our last cruise there was a guy who would eat his food (with his fingers, chewing with an open mouth) while standing in the buffet line. By the time he got to the end his plate was empty!

More specifically I'm talking about when there is plenty of room in the lane and they speed up to fill the gap. Funny that once you actually make your lane change they slow down again.

I can't stand the people who buy pass the line in the exit lane, and try to but in at the exit, holding up traffic in their lane because they have to come to a full stop on a highway and try to force their way into the exit ramp.

:mad:

A safe driver leaves a gap;) But the guy behind you thinks he needs to fill that gap in order to get where he wants about 2 seconds sooner........so therefore I speed up........

do you think its alright to not stand in line if you only want one thing from that particular station? just slip in, grab what you want and leave? or should you wait in the whole line for one thing?

Only if it is not a line where people are ordering things to be prepared, like an omelet station or sandwichs, like rubens or steak.

If you are just grabbing a quick roll or butter or mashed potatoes I don't mind people sneaking in unless it is a whole line of people. That I might have a problem with. I am not going to be grabbing everything in the buffet so I will not be stopping at everything.

I have no problem letting someone grab one thing as long as they ask politely. How many of us have missed the butter for pancakes or the cream cheese for our bagels? But do not just barge in! That is rude.

Also do not hold the line for your party of ten with just one person standing there. You know what I mean. That person will get to the food and all their family members come running from the table. HEY! WAIT YOUR TURN!

Recently I was on a road trip and stopped at Mickey D's for breakfast. The drive thru wound around the building twice. So I decided to go in. After waiting in line for 15 minutes, a man came in from the opposite side. He asked ( I was next inline) if this was the line. I pointed out the line ended about 7 people behind me. He questioned why only one line if 3 cashiers and acted like he was going to barge ahead of me. I loudly said again the line ends back there. Other people started chiming in the same thing. He said he wasn't talking to me. Other people in line again told him to get to back of line. I thought there was going to be a mutiny.

On my way out he tried to apologize in a half as*ed not really an apology type of way. I told him I did not accept it. YOu asked a question and were not happy with the answer AND wanted an explanation? #1 One line feeding to 3 cashiers. This is not uncommon. #2.. 2nd and 3rd cashier literally opened up ad you walked through the door. Do you really think you should step ahead of people who have been waiting 15 minutes+?

So see I do not mind if you need butter, milk or cream cheese but try to cut ahead of me inline and I will let you know! :p

On the ships I've been on it's been at the very beginning of the buffet line and you seemingly have to go through it in order to reach the hot food section.

Really? The ships I have been on.......salad on one side......desserts on the other side......

Speaking of bad etiquette...Please don't have your friends who are ahead of you in line take food for you because it's running out and will be gone by the time you get there. I was in the buffet line..a man in front of me was friends with a man a few people behind me. The man behind me told the man in front of me to grab him a hamburger because they were almost out. The man did and I had to wait almost 10 minutes for more to be made because he took the last one. I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal...but it was to me at the time because I waited in a VERY long line with a back injury. Also...when usuing the ice machine....if your ice falls all over the ground when filling your cup...PLEASE be curtious and at least attempt to kick it aside or pick it up. I almost wiped out with a tray and drink!:eek:

Well, at least your fresh hamburger tasted better than the shriveled one that man got. Plus, maybe it had e-coli and the stomach god was looking out for you.;)

I have no problem with someone asking me if they can grab this or that quickly. It takes two seconds, it's not that big of a deal. It's not going to cause me to waste away and die of hunger if I let someone grab an item off the buffet, and it's the courteous thing to do for someone.

Why should someone stand in a long line, waiting to get to just one item, when they already went through the line once and just happened to miss something? And if they do go through that long line again, just to get one item, their food at their table is getting cold.

Maybe some think it's rude to jump the line for one item, but I think it's more rude that someone would tell a person "no, go to the end of the line."

You're right! And they are probably getting something for their kid while their own food goes cold!!

A safe driver leaves a gap;) But the guy behind you thinks he needs to fill that gap in order to get where he wants about 2 seconds sooner........so therefore I speed up........

If someone puts on their blinker you should slow down to make more room not speed up to block them. I understand the frustration of people cutting in just to fill the space. But what about the people that actually need to get over to take an exit or get out of the way of faster traffic behind them. Okay, sorry for digressing from the topic.

Back to the topic, bacon is a different story. No one should cut you to get the precious bacon, darn it!

Because it's not your turn anymore. It's someone else's turn and they already waited for it. What food item could possibly be so important that someone feels compelled to barge in front of somebody else who has been doing the right thing and waiting for their turn, just like we all learned in kindergarten?:confused:

TABASCO....'nuff said.

If someone puts on their blinker you should slow down to make more room not speed up to block them. I understand the frustration of people cutting in just to fill the space. But what about the people that actually need to get over to take an exit or get out of the way of faster traffic behind them. Okay, sorry for digressing from the topic.

Back to the topic, bacon is a different story. No one should cut you to get the precious bacon, darn it!

Yes I was referring to the ones that ride your arse then try to fill the gap in front of you:D If I see a blinker next to me I generally speed up to let them get in.............not slow down......

But to me it is the same with any line, whether you are driving or standing......I will not stand on top of a person in line and if you are standing behind me breathing down my back......I will let you know in some form or other to get you to back off;)

It really is pretty simple........take your turn and go with the flow........

LOL But who could forget their TABASCO the first time around the buffet? Bacon... forgettable. Eggs... forgettable. TABASCO?? Nope. ;)

Then what would you put the tabasco on/in? Oh, got it.....Bloody Mary;)

If I forget something on the buffet and it is something packaged or easily picked up with tongs, I will ask the person in that area to please pass me that item and then be on my way; if they are not willing, then I wait for a gap in the line to help myself.

Archived