My Time Dining

ASHERK

Has anyone tried the My Time Dining? It sounds like you can come to dinner anytime between 6 and 9:30 PM. I would like to know how it works. We will be cruising the Legend of the Seas on 10/11 from Rome.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. To answer your question, and probably provide you with more information than you want or need, go to the top of the page and open the search function, located between New Posts and Quick Links. Type in "my time dining" (quotes aren't necessary) and you will be shown dozens of threads on the subject.

Let's just say that after experiencing it on our cruise last month, the second I got home I called my TA and switched all my dining for the cruises we have booked to anytime dining. That's how much we loved it.

And on anytime or my time or whatever the cruise lines call it, you can ask for a table for just the two of you or you can share and specify what size sharing table you would like. We always asked for a share with a 6 max on it. We had great experiences every single night. But if there's a night where you just want it to be the two of you, great. You might need to wait a few minutes for that, but that's not a biggie at all.

The overall consensus of opinion regarding My Time Dining has been quite favorable and there have only been a few instances where anyone has reported a wait of more than a minute or two when arriving at the dining room without having made an advance reservation. Perhaps there will be some problems as they expand the program to meet what is apparently a growing interest in my time dining, but the manner in which they introduced makes me optimistic. We were strong advocates of traditional dining who tried My Time Dining and became converts.:)

We did it twice on the Freedom and really enjoyed it. Great service and the area it was in was set up quite well. We have it booked again for the Liberty and also the Oasis. We also did it on the Jewel and had a bad experience. Most of the tables for two were to close together. And the service was the worst we have ever had. We quit going after about 4 nights and instead did Chops and the Windjammer. We did go one more night when they served lobster tails and the service was no better and they didn't even offer us melted butter for the lobster but they did to other tables. Of course this is just my opinion and others on the same cruise really enjoyed it. I won't let one bad experience stop me from doing it again obviously as we have it set up for two of our next three cruises.

I know that tips are added in advance, but if I change to MTD before we cruise, will we have to pay immediately or will they be added to the final bill?

The reason I ask is that we will have onboard credit which I would like applied to the tips.

Yes. On Royal if you choose My Time you have to pay tips in advance. What our TA told us to do was leave the traditional dining on our reservation and then once we got onboard switch over to my time at that point. Even if they go ahead and apply the tips to your account at this point you can then use the OBC that you have. That's exactly what we are doing.

We also did it on the Jewel and had a bad experience. Most of the tables for two were to close together. And the service was the worst we have ever had. We quit going after about 4 nights and instead did Chops and the Windjammer. We did go one more night when they served lobster tails and the service was no better and they didn't even offer us melted butter for the lobster but they did to other tables. Of course this is just my opinion and others on the same cruise really enjoyed it. I won't let one bad experience stop me from doing it again obviously as we have it set up for two of our next three cruises.

You know, when we were on Golden and had the traditional that first night we were also at a table for 2. I noticed the larger tables had much better service and the servers joked and laughed with them. With us it was much more formal, "Yes Madam, No Madam" ICKKKKKKKK. I wanted to have some fun with them too! I tried but fell flat on my face. There was another table for 2 nearby and I watched how the server interacted with them as well. Same thing as for us. They got the necessities but then were totally left on their own while the server kept going back to the larger tables, smiling the whole time.

We did it twice on the Freedom and really enjoyed it. Great service and the area it was in was set up quite well. We have it booked again for the Liberty and also the Oasis. We also did it on the Jewel and had a bad experience. Most of the tables for two were to close together. And the service was the worst we have ever had. We quit going after about 4 nights and instead did Chops and the Windjammer. We did go one more night when they served lobster tails and the service was no better and they didn't even offer us melted butter for the lobster but they did to other tables. Of course this is just my opinion and others on the same cruise really enjoyed it. I won't let one bad experience stop me from doing it again obviously as we have it set up for two of our next three cruises.

IMHO, it appears the larger ships are handling it better. Not sure why. On the Radiance last April/May, I thought it was poorly handled. Too few tables and most of the time, even with a standing reservation for 7:30, I was unable to be seated until 8:00. Not a big deal, but my time dining should be on my time and not theirs.

I know that tips are added in advance, but if I change to MTD before we cruise, will we have to pay immediately or will they be added to the final bill?

The reason I ask is that we will have onboard credit which I would like applied to the tips.

Yes. On Royal if you choose My Time you have to pay tips in advance. What our TA told us to do was leave the traditional dining on our reservation and then once we got onboard switch over to my time at that point. Even if they go ahead and apply the tips to your account at this point you can then use the OBC that you have. That's exactly what we are doing.

This is what I have always done. The first thing on board, I head to the main dining room and make the change from 2nd seating to MTS. They fill out a form and the tips are added to your on board account. Good use of OBC.

We sailed on Indy in May this year for our first cruise, and we opted for MTD, and it was excellent.

We could choose the time, and seats were always available, however it was small area where the mtd was on the 3rd level of the dining room.

It was comfortable and the staff were brilliant, simona and Adele were our ladies and they were extremely efficient.

We have opted again for MTD next week and again in November.

Having not experienced 1st or 2nd didning I could comment, but we like the mtd.

Regards

CArol

QUESTION: Is MTD a good fit for a group of 10 to 12? We'd like to sit together, and have a request for early dining, but we would consider MTD if they are able to handle a group our size. For example, would we have to wait significantly longer for a table because of our size due to limited tables this size? Other thoughts/suggestions? THANKS!

This is what I have always done. The first thing on board, I head to the main dining room and make the change from 2nd seating to MTS. They fill out a form and the tips are added to your on board account. Good use of OBC.

However, it's possible you may not be able to do this, because they may fill their allotment for My Time Dining. I tried to sign up by phone for MTD for my Dec. 1 sailing and it was already "sold out". I'm on the waiting list, and my cruise isn't for another 3 1/2 months. Granted this is on one of the smaller ships, the Rhapsody.

--Michael

However, it's possible you may not be able to do this, because they may fill their allotment for My Time Dining. I tried to sign up by phone for MTD for my Dec. 1 sailing and it was already "sold out". I'm on the waiting list, and my cruise isn't for another 3 1/2 months. Granted this is on one of the smaller ships, the Rhapsody.

--Michael

seconded - we're just back from independence 1 aug, med.

for what it's worth here's our story.....

we booked late and were put on early dining with waitlist for MTD - we saw this as a disaster - we eat late at home, nearer 9 than 630, and also really wanted a table for two. early dining just wasn't an option.

this cruise was simply going to be a relaxing time for the two of us - not really going to go crazy in the ports and just relax at night.

we got what we thought was a good deal on the cruise and nearly let it go because of the dining arrangements. eventually, we decided that we would never eat that early, do the windjammer 6 or 7 nights and portofino / chops the balance - a few hundred $$$ extra wasn't too bad as the price on a balcony cabin was good.

the TA also told us to go and switch on the ship.

so, we booked, but i took a gamble and emailed RCI telling them how much we would value MTD. within the hour i had a reply telling me it was sorted. i replied thanking them very much.

sure enough - our online booking on the website was updated straight away.

MTD worked very well for us on the cruise.

anyway - after that ramble, the point of the story - the first night we were waiting to be seated and a guy came up and requested to be switched to MTD - the head waiter handling the seating apologised and said it was not possible - they had already allowed much more than they should have to participate in MTD.

i hope you do what's right for you.

thanks

paul

Hope you enjoyed your holiday Paul.

I think the trouble with the MTD is that there dosn't appear to very much space assigned for the ammount of diners requesting this service. Perhaps I am wrong.

I understood that, and again if I am wrong on this, that most of the cruise line was about to change over to all MTD.

someone had posted a while back on another thread that this was so.

Did you have good weather in the Med?

Regards

Carol

Hope you enjoyed your holiday Paul.

Did you have good weather in the Med?

Regards

Carol

carol,

thanks for asking.

the weather was fabulous. we were thinking about posting a review and probably will once the laundry's out of the way.

out of southampton the first sea day was a bit drizzly / damp, second improved as the day went on, gibralter a bit dull in the morning and warmed up nicely.

it got hotter as the cruise went on - cannes lovely. livorno, civitavecchia, cagliari, cadiz, lisbon scorching. vigo nice. last sea day damp again.

it really was lovely and relaxing though - MTD worked great and we walked almost all ports since we had done the western med in a 7 day frenzy two years ago.

thanks again

p

So far, we've only tried this on the Princess Line but we're signed up for it on our upcoming AOS cruise. We very much enjoyed the freedom of being able to show up for dinner any time that was convenient to us. We also really loved meeting new people for dinner every night and always asked to be seated at the biggest table possible.

May be a tad sad, but we were tracking your voyage every step of the way and saw her in dock on the cams in Vigo and Southampton.

We were a tad sad when we left Vigo, as we knew that the last stop was Southampton.

This was our first cruise, in May, and we had a fabulous time and look forward to the next one.

Glad you enjoyed. Happy washing!!

To answer the OP - theoretically you can choose to eat anytime between 6.30 and 9.30 on MTD and should be able to be flexible when you eat. MTD also has the advantage that you can eat on your own table (for 2 or 4 or whatever) without eating with others if that's your preference.

Our experience, on Legend recently, is that we chose MTD for the first time ever as a family of 4 who wanted to be flexible what time we chose to eat and who wanted to only eat together.

In practice we found that it worked better booking our table for a set time for the whole cruise and then only changing the times on the odd days we wanted to be different. This was partly due to the fact that we found a particularly great waiter and assistant waiter and wanted to be with them each night.

However there also seemed to be a problem on our cruise in that the cruise was full and some parties (not having understood what Traditional dining is about) kicked up a big fuss about being placed with other people and ended up being placed in the MTD section which meant that some MTD tables were allocated permanently to some 'vocal' cruisers who hadn't done their homework.

The poor MTD hostess had a constant battle with trying to accommodate everyone. I don't think this is the norm in MTD but I think RCL need to realise that those cruisers who've chosen MTD (and thus prepaid their tips) shouldn't be compromised by having to make way for 'traditional' diners who decide they don't like their table (or tablemates). I think RCL aren't allocating a big enough section to MTD at the moment.

However, we have 2 further cruises booked and have chosen MTD for both of them as we like the flexibility to eat when we want and prefer to eat as a small group.

QUESTION: Is MTD a good fit for a group of 10 to 12? We'd like to sit together, and have a request for early dining, but we would consider MTD if they are able to handle a group our size. For example, would we have to wait significantly longer for a table because of our size due to limited tables this size? Other thoughts/suggestions? THANKS!

I think except for the Captains table the biggest table they have is a 10 top. If you want that for MTD you are going to have to schedule it because they don't have very many 10 tops in the MTD areas on the ships that I have been on. We like the regular late seating with the same group.

I think except for the Captains table the biggest table they have is a 10 top. If you want that for MTD you are going to have to schedule it because they don't have very many 10 tops in the MTD areas on the ships that I have been on. We like the regular late seating with the same group.

Thanks for the reply. :) We'll likely keep our request for the main seating because of our size. Once on board, we may decide to check out MTD. If it looks like it's a viable option, then we may give it a try. Lot's of "mays" in there, but, hey, we'll be on vacation having fun! :D Thanks again!

You should have no problem with a group of 10-12 IF you make a reservation each night, so that they can be prepared for you.

The website specifically says, "and for group reservations My Time DiningSM is only available for groups of 20 or less"

I regularly see tables of 12 in the Main Dining Room.

You should have no problem with a group of 10-12 IF you make a reservation each night, so that they can be prepared for you.

The website specifically says, "and for group reservations My Time DiningSM is only available for groups of 20 or less"

I regularly see tables of 12 in the Main Dining Room.

Thanks! I was thinking there were tables for 12 - at least I thought it was an option in the "preferences" section under "my cruises." I called C&A today, but she had no clue what the experience would be like for a group our size. She stated, "I've never heard any complaints." That's it. :rolleyes: I'll talk it over with my family, but I think we'll just wait to make any final decisions until we board. No biggie.

Thanks again.:D

Archived