Horrible spa experience on Majesty

rxlowry

that is what you get for cruising the worst ship in the ncl fleet.;)

The Majesty is old and out date but in no way the worst ship in the NCL fleet. That designation should have gone to the Wind for the horrible deck flow that resulted after the ship was stretched. :p

Dianne

I was on the Pearl in July and I had a hot stone massage with Vangie and a facial with Lucy. Both ladies made suggestions for some products, but neither was pushy about it. They told me what they suggested, they left the paperwork on the bed and left the room for me to get back into my robe. Nothing was said again about the product. So apparently the "Hard sell" that many people complain about doesn't always happen. I loved my experience at the spa on the Pearl.

The Majesty is old and out date but in no way the worst ship in the NCL fleet. That designation should have gone to the Wind for the horrible deck flow that resulted after the ship was stretched. :p

Dianne

Except the Wind is no longer in NCL service. Currently, you could say the Majesty is the "worst" NCL ship, based on its physical facilities. However physical facilities have nothing to do with proper customer service, and that is why "pumpkin 11" 's statement is ridiculous.

Just back from another wonderful cruise on the Majesty and the only complaint I have is the spa. I read the special in the Freestyle Daily and decided it sounded lovely. When I went to the spa to book this, they had no clue what I wanted. I told them I'd go get it and went back to my room to retrieve my Daily. The girl looked at it and called another girl over. She said that wasn't the special and showed me something different. I said, "What is this then?" and she said that is for port days and is a mistake. We were technically still in port as we left that morning but I said "Is that my mistake?" After sometime, LeAnn decided to give me what was listed in the daily (it was a mix and match special of two 25 minute services for 109) for 12:45 that day. She also said "This is a CONFIRMED appointment" to which I told her no problem.

Well, when I returned at 12:45, I was told my appointment was at THREE! I pulled out my appointment card to show her the 12:45 time that they had written. She mumbled that I called to change it which I certainly had not. Then she said that my husband changed it. I was fuming at this point and they said "Well, we can do it at 2." I could see it was erased and another name scheduled. I left so upset and went back to my cabin where I decided I should just cancel after being made to feel that I was taking advantage and then that I was stupid. I sent my husband to cancel this for me as I was sure they'd try to charge me for canceling. He canceled with the spa manager and asked for their names. She told him she would look into the situation and call him back. She never contacted us.

The customer service of this spa is atrocious. I was completely shocked by how bad it was.

I agree with all of those who tell you to share you experience with NCL. The spa no matter who they are --when you are on board they become NCL. Look at the bad publicity that NCL is getting here. They should know. If you were treated that way, then my guess is that others were as well.

Spend your spa dollars at home. $109 will get you anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1.2 hours of services at home. Even if the cost were exactly the same. At home, you know the spa is interested in your repeat business. It is regulated by your state health dept. too.

I'm sorry for your frustration but if you are not a firm negotiator avoid the ships spa, they are counting on getting someone sucked into buying too much or paying too much.

i agree the prices are inflated. they would have to be. just like popcorn at the movie theater...right?

nevertheless, my DW and i find it more relaxing on a cruise ship. why? because once we are done...we can truly relax. as opposed to home, we would drive to the spa...get our massages, then drive home and do whatever we need to do in our daily lives. to further add...we think of the "spa" as an excursion. personally i feel many excursions aren't worth the money...ship sponsored OR pvt excursions. it's all in what you consider to be the best value for your money.

but on a ship...we can sit in the spa for as long as we wish, and not have to do a thing. i'm not saying you all are wrong in feeling like it's highway robbery.

i think that's just the way it is...you can choose to spa...or not to spa. we just sailed the Sky and really wished we could have done a 2nd massage. but that would have killed our budget.

i agree the prices are inflated. they would have to be. just like popcorn at the movie theater...right?

nevertheless, my DW and i find it more relaxing on a cruise ship. why? because once we are done...we can truly relax. as opposed to home, we would drive to the spa...get our massages, then drive home and do whatever we need to do in our daily lives. to further add...we think of the "spa" as an excursion. personally i feel many excursions aren't worth the money...ship sponsored OR pvt excursions. it's all in what you consider to be the best value for your money.

but on a ship...we can sit in the spa for as long as we wish, and not have to do a thing. i'm not saying you all are wrong in feeling like it's highway robbery.

i think that's just the way it is...you can choose to spa...or not to spa. we just sailed the Sky and really wished we could have done a 2nd massage. but that would have killed our budget.

I have got to say I never saw thier prices that extremely high for the spa services compared to what we pay here in our area, espeically for the specials they advertise. Their products, like most spa products, I am sure are very expensive ($80.00 for the hair clips almost made me fall out of my chair when I read that) but other than that, I don't think they are too expensive all things considering. It is the hard selling I have read about on here and people making the mistake of saying the wrong thing and getting to check out and your bill being twice what it should be. I am afraid I would not utter a word the entire time I was in there. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I also had a not to wonderful experience at the Majesty Spa..the staff were confused about what was in the Freestyle versus what they had printed up for offers that day.

Once I did get an appointment for what I wanted, and went to the appointment, the experience was not great. I understand the Majesty (which I love) is older and the spa was retrofitted into her. What I should have been told upon making an appointment was that the appointment time they gave me was at the same time as an event on the floor below and you could hear every word and song from below clearly. Not exactly the spa experience I wold have signed up for. I was also never told that with a wrap treatment I would have to walk through a common hallway wrapped only in my foil to shower in a room that people could walk through. The shower stall was frosted material to not see through, but again, not what I expected or would have signed up for. The staff at Mandara shrugged off both the noise and "hallway walk". I did send my feedback wo NCL and received a letter telling me they would pass it along to Mandara, but do not have direct input over their procedures, policies or employees actions.

I have been to Mandara Spas on land and have loved them, but have a really bad taste left from this experience.

I think I will spend some time and research destinations I may visit for spa treatments moving forward.

I find it hard to relax at the Ships Spa. With rates over $100 and hour plus a required 15-18% gratuity and maybe a sales pitch for snake oil.... well, it just is not worth it to me.

GaryCarla, you piqued my curiosity by referring to the massage product as snake oil in a few posts. I just had to check the ingredients and google to see what actually is in the bottle I bought last cruise. I put in paranthesis the lay persons description. I purchased musclease.

sweet almond oil

sunflower seed oil

Pinus pinaster oil (cultivated from the pine needles of wild trees in France)

rosemary leaf oil

chrithmum maritimum extract (sea fennel from the shores of Sicily)

hippophae rhamnoids fruit extract (extracted from the Sea Buckthorn plant found in Europe/Asia)

tocopheral (basically it is vitamin E)

D-limonene (Oil extracted from citrus rind)

linalool (can come from a variety of plants...mint/herbs...cinnamon, rosewood, citrus)

coka

This is an example of the OP just taking abuse, when instead there were better options at her disposal.

When the person at the spa did not want to honor the ad after being shown it, that was wrong, but I doubt I would have been bothered much, since they did eventually agree to honor it.

Where I would have drawn the line was when I came down for the appointment and was accused of calling to change it. I would NOT have agreed to re-schedule, nor would I have canceled. I would have asked the manager to adjust the schedule and accommodate me right then.

If they refused, I would have gone straight to the guest services desk, and asked to schedule a meeting with the Hotel Director as soon as possible, about an urgent and serious customer service issue. I would not share the details with anyone else. I would say that it was private and confidential.

If anyone onboard has the power to address a situation, it is the Hotel Director. He is the #2 in command on the ship (#1 for Hotel matters, as the Captain does not get involved much with those.)

I don't think they would bump a spa appointment for a VIP - but if they did, the person being bumped should be showered with compensation, like a free visit. The Hotel Director will ascertain the true source of the problem. It could be the spa personnel were just not willing to work at 12:45, and a swift kick in the rear by a superior is sorely needed to get an attitude adjustment from the staff.

I don't think the OP handled the situation correctly. In any event, if she had escalated the issue, it would make for a much more interesting story to tell here!

GaryCarla, you piqued my curiosity by referring to the massage product as snake oil in a few posts. I just had to check the ingredients and google to see what actually is in the bottle I bought last cruise. I put in paranthesis the lay persons description. I purchased musclease.

sweet almond oil

sunflower seed oil

Pinus pinaster oil (cultivated from the pine needles of wild trees in France)

rosemary leaf oil

chrithmum maritimum extract (sea fennel from the shores of Sicily)

hippophae rhamnoids fruit extract (extracted from the Sea Buckthorn plant found in Europe/Asia)

tocopheral (basically it is vitamin E)

D-limonene (Oil extracted from citrus rind)

linalool (can come from a variety of plants...mint/herbs...cinnamon, rosewood, citrus)

coka

Good catch, Coka! No snake oil at all! Almond & Sunflower & Rosemary Leaf & Pinus Pinaster....but no rattler or cobra!!!!

My wife had some poor customer service on the NCL Dream Spa. There was a mess up in scheduling the two services that she requested. The Spa Manager admitted the error and said that she would correct it as one of the services really was not provided but she was charged.

The situation was not resolved as promised. We did write a letter to NCL and to the company that operated the Spa on the Dream. NCL responded right away and it took the Spa company over 6 months to respond. However, they did eventually make good on their promise.

Here's my question - when are they getting rid of the Majesty? That has to be one of the worst ships ever. And if you read NCL webpage about freestyle cruising you would think the Majesty falls under this but it has none of the amenities mentioned. We had a murphy bed, the room was smaller than my bathroom at home. When I went to the spa I had just got relaxed when all of a sudden I heard "WELCOME TO THE THE MAJESTY THEATRE". Seems the spa is just behind the theatre's walls. How can you relax when there's a 15 piece band playing in your room? I don't even know if I can give NCL another try after that mess. You know what NCL sent me? A $100 discount off next cruise. But they sent me 6 different passengers vouchers and not my own.

Here's my question - when are they getting rid of the Majesty? That has to be one of the worst ships ever. And if you read NCL webpage about freestyle cruising you would think the Majesty falls under this but it has none of the amenities mentioned. We had a murphy bed, the room was smaller than my bathroom at home. When I went to the spa I had just got relaxed when all of a sudden I heard "WELCOME TO THE THE MAJESTY THEATRE". Seems the spa is just behind the theatre's walls. How can you relax when there's a 15 piece band playing in your room? I don't even know if I can give NCL another try after that mess. You know what NCL sent me? A $100 discount off next cruise. But they sent me 6 different passengers vouchers and not my own.

The Majesty will leave the fleet this fall.

The other ships in the NCL fleet are nothing like the Majesty in my opinion.

I love Her Majesty.. lol.. But they've sold her and she'll be out of the fleet in the next few months. What did you get $100 voucher for? The noise from the theater or the small cabin? If you'd have done some research, or at least read NCL's website, you would have seen how big the cabins were.

I'm sure you received the correct voucher eventually, no?

Archived