Horrible spa experience on Majesty

rxlowry

Just back from another wonderful cruise on the Majesty and the only complaint I have is the spa. I read the special in the Freestyle Daily and decided it sounded lovely. When I went to the spa to book this, they had no clue what I wanted. I told them I'd go get it and went back to my room to retrieve my Daily. The girl looked at it and called another girl over. She said that wasn't the special and showed me something different. I said, "What is this then?" and she said that is for port days and is a mistake. We were technically still in port as we left that morning but I said "Is that my mistake?" After sometime, LeAnn decided to give me what was listed in the daily (it was a mix and match special of two 25 minute services for 109) for 12:45 that day. She also said "This is a CONFIRMED appointment" to which I told her no problem.

Well, when I returned at 12:45, I was told my appointment was at THREE! I pulled out my appointment card to show her the 12:45 time that they had written. She mumbled that I called to change it which I certainly had not. Then she said that my husband changed it. I was fuming at this point and they said "Well, we can do it at 2." I could see it was erased and another name scheduled. I left so upset and went back to my cabin where I decided I should just cancel after being made to feel that I was taking advantage and then that I was stupid. I sent my husband to cancel this for me as I was sure they'd try to charge me for canceling. He canceled with the spa manager and asked for their names. She told him she would look into the situation and call him back. She never contacted us.

The customer service of this spa is atrocious. I was completely shocked by how bad it was.

Just back from another wonderful cruise on the Majesty and the only complaint I have is the spa. I read the special in the Freestyle Daily and decided it sounded lovely. When I went to the spa to book this, they had no clue what I wanted. I told them I'd go get it and went back to my room to retrieve my Daily. The girl looked at it and called another girl over. She said that wasn't the special and showed me something different. I said, "What is this then?" and she said that is for port days and is a mistake. We were technically still in port as we left that morning but I said "Is that my mistake?" After sometime, LeAnn decided to give me what was listed in the daily (it was a mix and match special of two 25 minute services for 109) for 12:45 that day. She also said "This is a CONFIRMED appointment" to which I told her no problem.

Well, when I returned at 12:45, I was told my appointment was at THREE! I pulled out my appointment card to show her the 12:45 time that they had written. She mumbled that I called to change it which I certainly had not. Then she said that my husband changed it. I was fuming at this point and they said "Well, we can do it at 2." I could see it was erased and another name scheduled. I left so upset and went back to my cabin where I decided I should just cancel after being made to feel that I was taking advantage and then that I was stupid. I sent my husband to cancel this for me as I was sure they'd try to charge me for canceling. He canceled with the spa manager and asked for their names. She told him she would look into the situation and call him back. She never contacted us.

The customer service of this spa is atrocious. I was completely shocked by how bad it was.

I'm sorry that there was all this confusion over your spa treatment.

But -- you weren't "technically in port" because..as you noted..you left that morning. Being "in port" means parked, and people getting off to go to excursions...not sailing. Most spa specials are run for the days that the ship is in port, and while others go off somewhere, the few people left are enticed into cheaper spa services. So they were doing you a favor to book, and to book at the special price to which you weren't technically entitled. It's hard to know what happened to the appointment after that, though. Were you charged for it in the end?

If not, then you lost the appointment, but aren't out any money. Seems like $109 would buy some lovely spa services at home?

I sympathize with the OP.

If the Freestyle Daily was for the same day she tried to make the appointment, and the Daily had an incorrect spa special listed, this was not her mistake.

I would be upset and angry too if my confirmed appointment (to which I had a card written by the spa confirming it) was not available when I showed up.

Yes, $109 would buy some great spa treatments at home, but that's not really the point.

Exactly...Under the spa special the hours listed were 8am-8pm and said NOTHING about being In port. I understand the "in port" specials and this said NOTHING of the sort. This was some answer she gave and she said is was supposed to be only on a port day. And there were excursions that morning still..and people could get off the ship as well.

Obviously, they either run too many specials to keep track or do not edit their dailies well.

I think it's pretty clear there was a printing error. So... who's responsible? In my opinion, it doesn't matter. If they can offer the special while in port and still make a profit, then they should be able to honour the printed advertising, whether correct or not. It certainly wasn't the fault of any of the passengers who came in looking for it, and if it generated business, it did what it was intended to do - again, whether on the 'correct day' or not. It sounds like it was a 'half' port day in any case.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at the spa was the opposite of what you were hoping for - stressful rather than relaxing!! I do agree that the money you didn't spend will buy you a nice spa treatment at home, though... and since you were ready to spend it on board, I think you should just consider it part of your vacation and get yourself a treatment!! :)

Did you get the names of all the parties invloved? I would contact NCL via letter and explain what happned. That is not right. They should have not argued about port day or not. It was an error on their part putting it in the Daily. It wouldn't have killed them to honor the special. Changing the time is totally blows my mind. Must have been a VIP who needed a treatment bad for them to do that. :o I would be upset too. You should take that $109 and get yourself a treatment and soon. You could use some de-stressing!

I had the time to get a treatment then which is hard to schedule at home. I also rearranged our plans that day for the treatment that never happened. I have worked a job that involves customer service and the lack of it truly surprised me. If it was an error, they should have posted it on the door of the spa, especially after it was brought to their attention. Also, not contacting us after the spa manager said she would...come on..that is bad customer service.

I had the time to get a treatment then which is hard to schedule at home. I also rearranged our plans that day for the treatment that never happened. I have worked a job that involves customer service and the lack of it truly surprised me. If it was an error, they should have posted it on the door of the spa, especially after it was brought to their attention. Also, not contacting us after the spa manager said she would...come on..that is bad customer service.

I agree completely, and I'm like you - I find it very difficult to find 'self-pamper' time at home, but I think you should just make time. You deserve it. :)

I agree.

NCL is VERY good about getting back to you after you write to them. I highly suggest writing to their corporate office. Give a review of your entire cruise (don't just rant about the spa). I am sure they will reply to you with a phone call.

You know, I had not told anyone about this until now... On the Sun in February, I met a very nice technician in the Spa and it was her first cruise. My mom had a few treatments from her and I had two. The second one was a special and it involved some scent I don't care for such as ginger I think. I asked her if I could have a different scent, and she said yes, so I chose coconut. The treatment was divine. When she presented the bill it was a lot more than I expected. When I questioned her she told me I asked for the other scent, which was a different price. I paid it and tipped her well. I was thoroughly satisfied with the treatment. But in retrospect I should have said, before the treatment, "now this is still the special price of $whatever, correct?". I didn't and just assumed. Wish I had, it was a costly lesson. But like I said, it was great.

I am not implying any similarity to the OP, just that in my experience the spa techicians have a definate language barrier and I thought this might be a good place to comment.

OP, I sympathize with you. I love the spa on vacation and you did not get to enjoy it, in fact instead of de-stressing it added stress.

I agree.

NCL is VERY good about getting back to you after you write to them. I highly suggest writing to their corporate office. Give a review of your entire cruise (don't just rant about the spa). I am sure they will reply to you with a phone call.

I'd also suggest writing Mandara, the concessionaire that actually runs the NCL spas.

Personally, I wouldn't focus on the Freestyle Daily's error. Mistakes happen, and businesses generally aren't obligated to honor a mistakenly advertised priced, although same may as a matter of customer courtesy. In this instance, it could have been a mistake by the NCL staff responsible for producing the Freestyle Daily that caused a problem for Mandara, the spa operator. The response to the error is more significant than the error itself.

I find it hard to relax at the Ships Spa. With rates over $100 and hour plus a required 15-18% gratuity and maybe a sales pitch for snake oil.... well, it just is not worth it to me.

I noticed one person said they tipped well. Hope that was not in ADDITION to the charge they already put on there.

It's good you canceled and they didn't get your $, too bad about the time you wasted dealing with them and their poor customer service - not even calling when they said they would.

I'd at least write a letter so they're aware of your experience.

I find it hard to relax at the Ships Spa. With rates over $100 and hour plus a required 15-18% gratuity and maybe a sales pitch for snake oil.... well, it just is not worth it to me.

I noticed one person said they tipped well. Hope that was not in ADDITION to the charge they already put on there.

Agree with you on this one. No way could I relax in a ship's spa knowing the prices they charge, special or no special. Heck, the price of one of their cheapest treatments is a good percentage of a total cruise fare for either DH or me.:D

I feel pampered enough just taking a cruise and if I want to be pampered even further I can just hand my hubby a bottle of suntan oil and let him use his imagination in how he can pamper me further. ;)

Dianne

Thank you for writing. I like to hear these stories. It makes me more alert to similar tactics in other places. Sorry this happened and you didn't end up enjoying what you should have.

I'm not a frequent cruiser but I did a special massage on HAL on my only other cruise. It was very relaxing, not cheap but I did fall for some of their products and did use them. If I hadn't bought the massage gel, it wouldn't have been too unreasonable. I think it made my trip much more pleasureable....like lifestyles of the rich and famous. Just a fun fantasy.

...... Must have been a VIP who needed a treatment bad for them to do that...... :o

I agree with everything else you said and this was my first thought, that the OP may have gotten "bumped" for a VIP. No excuse for how things were handled.

....... But in retrospect I should have said, before the treatment, "now this is still the special price of $whatever, correct?". I didn't and just assumed. Wish I had, it was a costly lesson. But like I said, it was great......

After an experience related to me by my niece, nothing should be assumed for spa services. She had her hair done "up" for a formal night and the person asked if she would like a couple of rhinestone clips added. She said, sure, thinking how much extra could they cost? When she went to pay her bill, 2 clips were $80!!!! That was not the total bill, it was $80 EXTRA for the clips.

As I understand it, the spa services on most/all (?) ships are provided by contract companies that just essentially "rent the space" and pay a cut to the cruiseline. The spa is under it's own management and often appears to "get away with murder" with Guest Services very reluctant to get involved. Not dissimilar to the whole "Art Auction" thing...

There must be money in it for the lines, but it also results in some pretty lousy experiences for customers, who don't give a fig about Madeira (or whoever) - if the spa on XYZ ship has treated me poorly, then XYZ cruiseline has treated me poorly. I agree with garycarla on this...I can't afford to risk having a trip to the spa actually cause more stress than it relieves. No more on-board treatments for us, probably ever.

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. My worst experience was actually on a RCCL ship, not NCL, but tons of anticdotal evidence on these boards supports it's the same on all lines..

Sorry the OP had such a bad experience. I have to say that when I was on the Majesty in March that I had the worst pedicure and manicure I have ever had on a cruise ship or in a salon at home. It was right by the front door ( no privacy ) and it was very messy with magazines stacked next to me while I had to sit on an uncomfortable couch. The young girl who did these services used one of those portable foot baths and it didn't even have any massaging or whirlpool type attachment. Really just a bowl of water. She complained the entire time re: how home sick she was. She was from England and this was her first cruise.

Honestly I am not that surprised you never heard back. My experience is customer service trickles down. So if you have horrible employees, in general, you are going to have horrible management. If you have employees who don't give a cr*p, then you are going to have management that doesn't give a cr*p.

I do agree with all the others who say to write a letter to NCL. I don't personally care who actual runs the spa, it is a representation of NCL and if they get enough complaints, NCL will not renew their contract. I would love to use their services on cruises, however I have read so many horror stories here on CC about the spa services that I will just not risk it.

"Hard to relax" YES--I do not find the spa "relaxing" AT ALL, and am puzzled how so many on these boards have such wonderful experiences. For me, it is very stressful to be hounded to purchase expensive products the entire time you are there. It isn't that I can't say a polite no thanks, but added stress that I fear that the poor girl who is pressing me is going to get in to trouble if she is unable to get me to buy !!!

"Hard to relax" YES--I do not find the spa "relaxing" AT ALL, and am puzzled how so many on these boards have such wonderful experiences. For me, it is very stressful to be hounded to purchase expensive products the entire time you are there. It isn't that I can't say a polite no thanks, but added stress that I fear that the poor girl who is pressing me is going to get in to trouble if she is unable to get me to buy !!!

This is the one thing that is keeping me from going to the ship's spa. I just don't get it. When I go for a facial or massage at home I am not hounded to purchase products. I am paying for a service and that is that. Yes, the technician may suggest some products or tell me what she is using on me but there is never a hard sell. I just don't get why there seems to be such a hard sell at the spa on NCL.

This is the one thing that is keeping me from going to the ship's spa. I just don't get it. When I go for a facial or massage at home I am not hounded to purchase products. I am paying for a service and that is that. Yes, the technician may suggest some products or tell me what she is using on me but there is never a hard sell. I just don't get why there seems to be such a hard sell at the spa on NCL.

Only had a hard sell once at the spa. Ever since then I tell them that I can't buy anything because of the airline restrictions on liquids, but if they want to write down any recommendations on the bill, that would be great. I then advise that I'd like to relax as much as possible, and may not be very talkative. They understand completely.

Only had a hard sell once at the spa. Ever since then I tell them that I can't buy anything because of the airline restrictions on liquids, but if they want to write down any recommendations on the bill, that would be great. I then advise that I'd like to relax as much as possible, and may not be very talkative. They understand completely.

Great strategy! I might give that a try in a couple weeks when I am on the Spirit. Thanks.

Archived