What is more important - your friends or your cruise??

mompolo

Last year we cruised RCC with another couple. We had a great time, but having been on 3 previous X cruises, we were a little disappointed with the food and service.

They would like to cruise with us again and they would only like to go on RCC because they signed up for the credit card and now have about $500 obc.

We would really prefer to go on an X cruise - what would you do??

Oh yeah - there is another couple that would like to go - they are friends of ours and would go on which ever cruise we go on.

We would do what WE preferred to do.

You said the same: 'you would prefer to go on X'.

If someone wants to join you, that is their decision. YOU will have done what is best for you.

We are sailing Summit in April of 2010 because WE want to go on X too! ;)

i love my friends dearly but vacations are another animal. I get a limited time off and i will spend my money my way. I wont compromise on my vacation and therefore i would go alone sooner than book something "thats just ok".

*sweet*

YOU choose what YOU want to do. Do not do things to make others happy, do only what makes you happy. That is your right and your choice. I am sure if it was the other way around, your friends would do what they want as that is their choice. They can join you if they want

Why not suggest the cruise on "X" to your friends by saying something like "We would love to do another cruise with you; since we went on RCC with you last year, why don't you join us on an X cruise this year" and then tell them why you love X and why you want to introduce them to it. Friendship is all about reciprocity - the OBC shouldn't come into play, they can use that on another occasion.

mompolo, you've already gone along with your friends' choice of cruise line once.

I'd say if they don't want to join you on Celebrity, then you're under no obligation to keep catering to their preferences.

Book your X cruise, and quit beating yourself up.:)

That is such a hard question... I feel for you. We have a BIG group of cruise friends and it really is so enjoyable to cruise with them. In fact, most of the time it comes down to our most enjoyable times cruising are those spent at happy hour and at dinner with our friends. Our last cruise on the Solstice was definitely that way. It really wasn't about the itinerary... although that was fabulous. If I were to separate just the cruising out of our vacations, I would say the people we cruise with make the trip. For me, it's not about cruise line or the food... it's about the people we sail with AND the itinerary. Some itineraries it just wouldn't matter to me what line we were on (some would be out of the question completely... like NCL) and would be more based on who is going... BUT, with that... there are some itineraries that really interest me but do not my friends. At that point, I do what I really want to do and if no one comes with us, then that's fine.

I wouldn't pick a cruise line over friends... but I would pick an itinerary if you can't agree on one.

There are many friends where we only see each other cruising... so?? Places like the Caribbean, I could care less what ship I am on if all our buddies are on it also.:)

Good luck in your decision. I do LOVE Celebrity over RCL though... Like RCL, but Celebrity is better.

It depends upon the situation.

When my husband and I took our Baltic Cruise we went with very good friends but I was only willing to compromise so much. The same was true for our Mediterranean Cruise. However, we found cruises in both situations that made all of us happy.

On the other hand, I am much more flexible about family reunion cruises that have more ordinary itineraries, where it is important to consider what is best for people of different ages, as long as I can have a nice cabin on a nice ship. I am also more flexible about cruising with friends I don't have an opportunity to see very often than friends who live near us.

In situations like you are in, it becomes a compromise one way or the other - meaning that one couple or the other is not 100% happy. I think when you are spending that much money on a limited vacation time, you should do what YOU want to do. The others will still be your friends:)

Why not suggest the cruise on "X" to your friends by saying something like "We would love to do another cruise with you; since we went on RCC with you last year, why don't you join us on an X cruise this year" and then tell them why you love X and why you want to introduce them to it. Friendship is all about reciprocity - the OBC shouldn't come into play, they can use that on another occasion.

Well they called us and asked us to go on the RCC cruise they picked out. We found an X cruise with basically the same itinerary and at the same time and suggested that one, letting them know how we felt the X cruise would offer us better food and service and that they would really like X (I know they would).

He called my hubby today and said they are going to go on RCC because they have already earned $500 obc and they don't want to give that up. So, we would have to give up what we feel is better service and food (which we really enjoy), to go on the cruise with them. I know we would enjoy the time with our friends - we always have a good time with them and really want to go with them. But at the same time, are a little disappointed.

We did pick out the first cruise - in fact we were already booked - when we invited them to join us. That being said, after going on that RCC cruise, we prefer to go back to X.

Thanks so much for everyone's opinions - I appreciate it very much!!

At the minimum, I would have them pick up the tab for the alcohol at dinner and/or dine at the specialty restaurant to use up some of their precious $500 OBC.

Guess you have already decided on RCI or else I was going to suggest you all sail on NCL or Carnival or Princess as the best compromises as the ones that nobody is happy….

Well they called us and asked us to go on the RCC cruise they picked out. We found an X cruise with basically the same itinerary and at the same time and suggested that one, letting them know how we felt the X cruise would offer us better food and service and that they would really like X (I know they would).

He called my hubby today and said they are going to go on RCC because they have already earned $500 obc and they don't want to give that up. So, we would have to give up what we feel is better service and food (which we really enjoy), to go on the cruise with them. I know we would enjoy the time with our friends - we always have a good time with them and really want to go with them. But at the same time, are a little disappointed.

We did pick out the first cruise - in fact we were already booked - when we invited them to join us. That being said, after going on that RCC cruise, we prefer to go back to X.

Well...then I would say, maybe jokingly, maybe not, ....."OK you have to use some of that OBC at CHOPS and Portofino's, so that we can ALL get the better food and service we would be getting if we were on X." :D:)

Just because they got the card is no reason for you to go on a line you did not feel met your needs...you can also sign up for a card with celebrity , get dbl points & OBC with Celebrity--

why not tell them you'll pass this time around & maybe next time you'll join them.... that you really are wanting to try something different... if they are friends they will understand. If you go again--then it'll be endless--they'll be moving up in levels on Royal C while you want to try X...

Seems like they took the advice here which is to make the decision that best suits your own needs. They did not hesitate to let you know what they plan to do whether or not you join them.

Choose the holiday that you truly want to do!

Last year we cruised RCC with another couple. We had a great time, but having been on 3 previous X cruises, we were a little disappointed with the food and service.

They would like to cruise with us again and they would only like to go on RCC because they signed up for the credit card and now have about $500 obc.

We would really prefer to go on an X cruise - what would you do??

Oh yeah - there is another couple that would like to go - they are friends of ours and would go on which ever cruise we go on.

There are about 1,000,000 things in life that I "would prefer" to do than what I actually end up doing...it all depends how high the stakes are. In the case you describe (without more background on the relationship dynamics and individual details on financial circumstances, availability of time, etc.) I would probably agree to their choice. If I did so I'd make up my mind to do it graciously, as sort of a "gift" to them and an investment in the friendship (i.e. no martyr complex and no holding it over their heads). I'd enjoy every minute of my time, both with them and on the holiday itself. For the record, if THEY were asking I'd give THEM the exact same advice. Hope it all works out for the best...:)

Happy Sails,

Annette

You've been given good advice, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. Another win-win option would be to join them on the RCCL cruise this time -- "graciously" accepting their invitation as the previous poster wrote, and ask that you get to choose the cruiseline and itinerary for the next time. Your compromising this time could gain a compromise from them next time, and meanwhile, you'll enjoy your cruises together.

It is a hard decision -I don't envy your position. But, you both chose a cruise and invited your friends to join you, they turned you down, my feeling is you should go ahead with your plans and just tell them to have a great time and hope that they could join you another time. Do you book through a TA that would perhaps give all of you an OBC. That might help offset the one they would be giving up.

We only have a certain amount of time off and a certain vacation budget. I wouldn't spend money on something I don't want and go on a vacation that I don't want to go on. Friends would understand that. Why purposely spend money on something you don't want?

It seems that their $500 on board credit is the most important thing to them. They are unwilling to compromise for your sake. When it's time for the next cruise they will have accrued another on board credit...and so it goes.

Regards

mompolo, you've already gone along with your friends' choice of cruise line once.

I'd say if they don't want to join you on Celebrity, then you're under no obligation to keep catering to their preferences.

Book your X cruise, and quit beating yourself up.:)

We were under the same type of problem a few years back. Went on HAL with friends at their request.

Asked them multiple times to try Celebrity. Turned down every time. Stopped trying.

Some people only see for themselves and not the hey they tried it why not us.

Usha is right on here.

Only you know your friends and only you know how they will react.

We plan our vacations on our own. Sometimes friends and/or relatives will join us. That is fine for us. So far, we have managed to have "our space" on vacation.

It is easy for a pattern to be set. After a few vacations together, it is awkward not to include the others.

One of our friends has this problelm. There is one couple that they must inform of each and every cruise. More often than not, they join our friends, who complain that they have no time to themselves.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

Archived