Colon, Panama - Jewel November 2009

PAGA

Colon, Panama is the only port on our cruise for which shore excursions are not currently available for booking. Any thoughts on why? And has anyone ever been to Colon and booked an excursion...what do you recommend? I understand it is a relatively new RCCL port of call since they are no longer doing partial transits of the Canal.

Thanks in advance for your insights/input.

We were there in March to board the Enchantment - immersion cruise - check out a tour operator called "My Friend Mario".

We had to fly in to Panama City & transfer to Colon to board and then do the reverse for the way home.

We booked a Panama City tour with transfer to Colon pre-cruise & then did the Embera Indian Village post cruise with transfer back to Panama City. We saw the locks on both coasts and lots of other sights around the area. They also found us a very affordable local hotel for before & after and got us to & from the airport. Great service & had it all booked via email.

Do a search on the Panama Canal ports of call forum & you should find them.

Can't really offer an expanation as to why they don't have them listed as yet, but I can mention a few popular tours, depending upon your interest.

The names of these tours is approximate;

Canal by Ferry- Takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. Gives you a good look at the Canal. (This one maybe of interest since the Jewel no longer enters the Canal.)

Across the Isthmus by Railroad- Ride the Panama RR and usually a tour of some sites of interest on the Pacific side. Normally returns by bus.

Embera Indians. Pretty good look at some of Panama's indigenous peoples.

This list is by no means comprehensive, I'm sure there maybe other tours. These stick in my mind as being some of the more popular ones.

This is not a direct answer to your question, sorry. But I have been to Colon on a different cruise line. We did our own tour. When you exit the ship there will be many persons available to take you on a tour. We were with another couple. We found a guy who took us where ever we wanted to go. We went to the locks at the canal and to various places in Colon. It was great. The shopping was very cheap in town, as I recall. When you find a guide you like make sure you view his vehicle. Then if it seems safe ask him how much. Make sure to make the deal before you leave. Make sure you know what you are getting for how much. Our guide was great and we had a very memorable day. Gook luck and enjoy the canal. It is an incredible sight to see. As I recall our tour cost 100 dollars for four persons. It was worth every penny.

We were able to book our excursion for Colon on 8/11. Did you enter the port city as Colon. We booked the Panama Tour by Ferry. After the port city go to wilderness. That excursion will come up with a bunch of others. Good luck

Judi :)

We also did a tour with one of the cabs outside the port. It was pretty good as I remember and we went to the locks, the Canal Zone, a little zoo, a ritzy hotel and generally saw what there was for sights. The one thing that stands out in my mind though is the terrible poverty in Colon. I think it was about the dirtiest and most miserable place I've ever been to. I wouldn't walk around there. I also remember the poor Indian girls welcoming the ship at dockside and the passengers from the ship (mostly dirty old men) ogling them and taking their pictures. The were semi-nude (topless.) It was so sad.

I've spent some time in Panama and can tell you that Colon is NOT SAFE to walk around on your own. I would even be leary of some of the cab drivers in Panama (I've seen plenty of Panamanian drivers-----YIKES!) I would suggest a ship-sponsored tour or at least a tour through a known, reputable tour company.

Check out the Changris River Eco tour. We toured the locks, went on a small boat on the river. Saw monkeys swinging in the trees, sloths, anteaters, huge lizards, beautiful colored birds. Then we took a nature hike along a path and saw more monkeys and sloths. Lots of plants and fruit trees. It was very interesting and informative.

I'm on the 9th Nov cruise from Miami and colon has only just opened up this week. last week for our cruise was only the other ports today just checked and Colon is there now.

I read on another thread that they sometimes delay the autumn(fall) excursisions for changes.

I did Colon on another cruise line and the boat tour around the primate sanctuary islands is one of the most memorable shore excursions I've ever done. The monkeys were so amazing in their own habitat. One little guy literally followed the boat around the island swinging from tree to tree and getting on branches out over the water as though he wanted to get in the boat.

Archived