Arm in cast..flowrider restrictions?

I am a registered orthopaedic technician, working a large university hospital in the UK. An orthopaedic technician plasters and treats fractures of all kinds, it very much depends on the type of fracture ie a greenstick fracture is simply a bent bone or a comminuted fracture is a bone broken into lots of pieces so without knowing the type of fracture and the type of injury it is impossible for anyone to say whether it is safe or not for a person to use the flow rider, I personally would not allow my child to use a flow rider whilst in a cast or for several weeks after the cast comes off because it takes many months for the bone to become as strong as it was before the injury.

I am a registered orthopaedic technician, working a large university hospital in the UK. An orthopaedic technician plasters and treats fractures of all kinds, it very much depends on the type of fracture ie a greenstick fracture is simply a bent bone or a comminuted fracture is a bone broken into lots of pieces so without knowing the type of fracture and the type of injury it is impossible for anyone to say whether it is safe or not for a person to use the flow rider, I personally would not allow my child to use a flow rider whilst in a cast or for several weeks after the cast comes off because it takes many months for the bone to become as strong as it was before the injury.

No matter what type of fracture, it's a safe assumption that if it is still in a cast it's because it has yet to fully heal....

i don't have time to read all the posts.. but its obvious you can do a lot of things in a cast.. and thanks to every doctor in this post because there are many of them too..

and BBVitus's son will be the only tough kid of the group cause he's not babying his child.. i know this will create a stir but I feel like people don't let kids be kids anymore..

[ATTACH]129005[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]129006[/ATTACH]there you go

Good Job posting!

(now, after seeing the pics)

I can say, Austins cast is MuchMuch less cumbersome than *mine* was ...his appears to be a 'wrist' cast, mine was FullArm, so no way I could have done anything that active...like I mentioned, I had a hard time just going down stairs...

Looks like a good time was had.

Yes, I agree...not gettin one from me ;)

Thank for telling me how to put photo on, I hope i restored your faith, Sometimes people who find post for first time dont have any reason to decive, just good people trying to help

Princess Scuba, just surprised you dont have any comment, I wonder why you fell the need to say my son needs to go back to school. My son is a wonderfull kid. I just wanted to note you are the only disbeliver not to retract. thanks

I think it's jaded to outright tell someone you don't beleive them because it's a difficult thing for you to accept. A medical doctor, who I'm going to assume would know the severity of the break and the level of activity appropriate at the time better than you and I, advised that it would be fine. RCCL accepted the waiver as enough for them. All the posters that immediatley said 'I don't beleive you' 'what kind of doctor would do that' 'what kind of parent would do that' and similiar just jumped to their own conclusion as gospel. I'm not slamming you or anyone else, but we see this response so often on here and it is very rarely a provable fact, as this was with the photo - usually we just slam them, call them a liar in so many words and move on to the next thread. I, for one, want the poster to know that I apologize for all the CC'ers that were clearly rude and made snap judgements about your credibility, doctor and parenting. As I said, we have no idea how bad the break was and the doctor clearly didn't think it would be an issue. Nothing wrong with getting a professional opinion and then observing your child to make sure it's okay, which is what the poster did. His son is quite obviously having a great time and didn't injure himself.

I said it was difficult to believe. Although we all feel as if we "know" each other, this is still a public forum and there have been many, many people who come here, sign up, and write all kinds of nonsense and who make up stuff just to get a rise out of members. (No, I'm not saying that is what bbvitus did; I'm giving you a frame of reference for why members might respond a particular way to something that is so unusual.) I stand by my opinion that it is fool hardy, regardless of what anyone else chooses to do or risk. And as for their doctor okaying it, we did not learn that until after several members, including me, questioned the original post, which is the one we were responding to. (And please do not apologize for me; if I feel an apology is warranted to anyone, I will make it myself--and I have, freely, and have been apologized to, many times over the years.)

beachchick

I said it was difficult to believe. Although we all feel as if we "know" each other, this is still a public forum and there have been many, many people who come here, sign up, and write all kinds of nonsense and who make up stuff just to get a rise out of members. (No, I'm not saying that is what bbvitus did; I'm giving you a frame of reference for why members might respond a particular way to something that is so unusual.) I stand by my opinion that it is fool hardy, regardless of what anyone else chooses to do or risk. And as for their doctor okaying it, we did not learn that until after several members, including me, questioned the original post, which is the one we were responding to. (And please do not apologize for me; if I feel an apology is warranted to anyone, I will make it myself--and I have, freely, and have been apologized to, many times over the years.)

beachchick

I don't want to quibble because I really do enjoy most everything you post! You have helped me a lot in the past!:D I'm just pointing out that we (those that have been posting for a while) often jump on new posters with not many posts and use that to question their credibility. I accept what you wrote about that, as we do see rabble rousers come on to post and run, so to speak, but I think we need to use the benefit of the doubt more. As a matter of fact, just the other day, someone came on with a totally valid complaint, low post numbers and three pages through the thread someone posts that they automatically havent' read anything through but slammed the OP for complaining while having a low post number!:rolleyes: That's the type of thing I dislike here. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth, you know? Like I said, usually we call them a liar (in so many words), write some nasty posts about them being a troll or carnie, then go on to the next thread. I felt that this post, with the photo proving the post, we could show our group maturity and apologize and retract. I still stand by my apology for my posting peers, as I was embarassed about the lack thereof. And not to argue, but just to point out, this is the first post by them on the topic, and they clearly state that the doctor ok'd it:

"my son boke his wrist, with permission from doctor he was cleared for flowrider. They did not have any issue with cast on freedom flow rider, he spent entire cruise on the flow rider, fell quite hard and often, had a blast"

My question is why? Why would any parent want to risk their child's health in this manner? It just seems that common sense would have you saying no regardless of what RCI might say.

Agreed! Shouldn't you, as a parent, be more concerned about the health and safety of your daughter, rather than the fact that she might have to miss out on a small amount of fun activities on a cruise?

• 2 months later...

Archived