Arm in cast..flowrider restrictions?

My daughter broke her arm just before we left on holidays. We are finding some of the rides at the theme parks wont let her ride with her cast. Just wondering if she will be allowed on the flowrider/rock climbing wall. The cast is waterproof so no problem there. Just wondering if anyone has any first had experience. The darn thing is due to come off while we are on the cruise but she is stuck with it for a few extra days untill we get home.:confused:

If you read the original post, I believe you will find that the OP has already left on their holiday. They said "...just before we left on holiday". They also said that they were finding amusement parks were not letting her daughter ride the rides. This all tells me that they are already on holiday, so being from Canada, having their doctor remove the cast before they leave is not an option.

It is fun, but you CAN get hurt on it.

I'm betting your husband and I may have a lot in common! :D

I just hate seeing people getting beat up for what may have been a fairly innocent question.

For me, I'm thinking the Wipe Out Bar may be more my style :p

DONT DO IT. 2 years ago i re broke my arm on a flowrider stlye ride at an on land resort one week after getting it out of a cast. your bone is fragile long after you get the cast removed trust me it will end in tears. :(:(

My daughter broke her arm just before we left on holidays. We are finding some of the rides at the theme parks wont let her ride with her cast. Just wondering if she will be allowed on the flowrider/rock climbing wall. The cast is waterproof so no problem there. Just wondering if anyone has any first had experience. The darn thing is due to come off while we are on the cruise but she is stuck with it for a few extra days untill we get home.:confused:

How old is your daughter, first of all? That could make a difference (is she 10? Is she 16?). You know your daughter better than anyone else posting here, although I would say you've gotten a lot of good advice, and (being a 54 yr old when I tried the Flowrider), I can speak from experience about how hard the falls can be. My only problem was the second time I tried it - a boy about 12 yrs old came on to the course too soon, so when I wiped out and got to the top to stand up, I fell over him, and was probably lucky I didn't break anything.

Some have suggested getting the cast off early. I would check with your doctor and see what he recommends (he most likely will say avoid the Flowrider, but getting the cast off early could enhance the rest of her cruise). When our daughter was in elementary school a friend broke her arm, then re-broke it twice, and almost needed a serious operation to repair it. Everyone writing on here has no idea how bad of a break your daughter has, or what the doctor will advise. One other option that I don't think anyone mentioned (probably not practical anyways): can you change the date of the cruise? Do you have travel insurance? Was your daughter's injury before or after you bought travel insurance, assuming you have it?

Also, regardless of other comments on here, I think you're a loving parent who's trying to make sure her daughter has a good time - you're just not necessarily thinking through some of the consequences.

Can you have it replaced with an aircast for your vacation?

That's what I did in 2007, broke my ankle 2 weeks before going on vacation. I first had a "real" cast and the day before leaving, the doctor took it off and I got it replaced by an aircast.

ETA: I got the aircast not for doing "extreme" activities, but because I could take it off for showers, and no sand would get stuk in there.

Also, I have broken many bones in my life. After they take the cast off, you can't just do everything right away. Your muscles kind of "disappeared", everything is very "stiff", ... Usually, quite some therapy is involved afterwards to build up "power" again and to be able to do "full movements" again.

I had an accident during my vacation in April. Had my knee in a brace for quite a while. Now, almost 4 months later, I am still not able to walk stairs etc, because that movement is "too big". I can walk more or less normal, but during many weeks I went three times a week to therapy.

It doesn't only take "cast time" to heal, but also therapy time.

Some of the responses here are pathetic and out of line. Op, don't listen to them; they're just bitter about life and have an opinion about everything. I'm sure you're a loving parent and will do what is best for your daughter. Good luck!

I can't speak for the OP, but I would imagine that most people have never seen something like a flowrider in person.

RCI markets it as something fun that everyone should try. That implies, at least to me, that it is very safe and while maybe difficult to be successful at, not going to hurt anyone.

I've never seen one and will be on Freedom this week as well. I showed DS this thread and we discussed some of the dangers.

I don't think it's fair to assume there is bad parenting involved in her question.

According to the OP´s signature she has sailed on Freedom in 2008 already and is now going back, so I´d say she knows what the flowrider is about.

I agree with what´s been said here, it´s not a wise idea to go on the flowrider with a recently broken arm.

My guess would be NO. Ask the Doc to take the cast off a few days early. Seriously 3or 4 days early wont matter, if the arm is healed, its healed. 4 days will not make a difference. Altho, when it comes off she will still feel a bit 'off' as far as the arm goes. (she will still 'baby' it for a while...even tho she has probably gotten used to doing things in the cast, when it comes off, you feel very 'unprotected')

Its a liability to let her 'ride' in a cast, not only does it inpare her balance, but if she were to fall, she could not 'catch' herself without the chance of re-injury.

( I speak from experience --I spent 6 weeks in a cast up to my shoulder this past Feb/March, 2009--I begged my doc to remove the cast a week early, which he did. )

~~Hi Cap't!!! Hi Orange!!~

Is this a joke?

It has to be. There is no way in Hades that if my child just recovered/is recovering from a broken arm that I would let go on a Flowrider. I don't believe that RCI would allow it either, if just for insurance purposes.

For those of you advising the OP to have the cast removed early, are you willing to pay for the suit that could happen if the Op's daughter broke her arm again?

Op, what if you had the cast removed and she broke it

again??? I know it is hard on your daughter, but it is far better for her to be disappointed in not going on Flow Rider and the rock wall and having her arm heal properly than to fall or whatever and break it again.

Although I didn't do it on a ship, I have broken my arm twice and believe me, the 2nd time was worse. Take care and listen to her disappointment, but it is for her own good.

For those of you advising the OP to have the cast removed early, are you willing to pay for the suit that could happen if the Op's daughter broke her arm again?

~First~ if the mother takes Medical Advise from Starnagers on a Chat/Message Board there are bigger problems there then her kid possibily re-breaking her arm... <eyeroll>

Secondly: A few days (we're talking less then a week- OP states the cast is due off during the cruise) is not going to make a difference in healing.

The child (how ever old she is) would still feel off balance and 'unprotected' and would probably not feel confortable going on the flowrider if the cast was just removed a few days before. Im sure part of the problem is: kid breaks arm- arm hurts for a few weeks- arm is in a cast- feels better after a few weeks- kid gets used to the cast- starts feeling 'good as new'-BUT- cast comes off (and Let me tell you what) you feel like your arm might fall off. I bet the kiddo would not be so hyped to get 'out there' the first week or so after that cast comes off.

(Dr took mine off a week early, becasue I was such a pain in his rear about it---and Im 45 years old~! Kids heal faster)

Those may well be all and good, but where do these dogs lift their legs and do what they have to do. Who is expected to clean up after them. See that the ships are enclosed modes, and don't get me wrong, I really don't see a place for dogs or cats on ships. I have a cat I dearly love, but he is better off at home. That lady from Britain who thought it would be nice to take her dog, better rethink her modes of vacations if she can't stand to be away from her pet. Most dog owners I see and there are many where I live, do not pick up after there dogs. Also, one poster mentioned the allergy factor as well. Just me two cents worth.

Those may well be all and good, but where do these dogs lift their legs and do what they have to do. Who is expected to clean up after them. See that the ships are enclosed modes, and don't get me wrong, I really don't see a place for dogs or cats on ships. I have a cat I dearly love, but he is better off at home. That lady from Britain who thought it would be nice to take her dog, better rethink her modes of vacations if she can't stand to be away from her pet. Most dog owners I see and there are many where I live, do not pick up after there dogs. Also, one poster mentioned the allergy factor as well. Just me two cents worth.

:confused::confused::confused:

Me thinks you have posted on the wrong thread ?????

:confused::confused:

(btw: my little chihauhaus would LOVE to come on a cruise with us..and it would be Cheaper then hiring a pet sitter... my upcoming cruise fare=$279--my upcoming pet sitter bill for 7 days= $329--that only 2 visits per day!!)

I did the Flowrider in January and when I fell over, I would usually fall onto my hands/arms to brace myself.

If I had a recent break in my arm, I most definitely would not have done it because the landing is not soft and it's unpredictable. The chance for the arm to re-fracture is pretty high. I'm sure your daughter will have a good time just watching from the bleachers and be recovered by the next time you cruise to do it herself.

my son boke his wrist, with permission from doctor he was cleared for flowrider. They did not have any issue with cast on freedom flow rider, he spent entire cruise on the flow rider, fell quite hard and often, had a blast

Ok i have not read all the posts before me so i apologize in advance if i'm repeating anything but i feel like after being on this forum for about a year i read the same thing everyday.

anyway. I don't think there should be a problem with the cast. If i had it on i'd still want to use the flow rider. tell her to fall on her butt. thats the safest way to fall on that thing. A cast would no way stop me because i think its the best thing on the ship.

Ok i have not read all the posts before me so i apologize in advance if i'm repeating anything but i feel like after being on this forum for about a year i read the same thing everyday.

anyway. I don't think there should be a problem with the cast. If i had it on i'd still want to use the flow rider. tell her to fall on her butt. thats the safest way to fall on that thing. A cast would no way stop me because i think its the best thing on the ship.

I'm assuming that you are an adult and capable of deciding for yourself as to what risks you are willing to take, and that is fine. However, the OP is a parent asking whether RCI will allow her child to go on the flowrider with a broken arm in a cast and seeming to indicate that his or her hope is that RCI will allow it. To many of us that seems to be contrary to what most of us as parents would feel was appropriate. Allowing your child to do something that puts them at risk, when they have just recently suffered a broken arm, seems extremely shortsighted. We needn't wrap our children up and protect them from all possible dangers but we also shouldn't unnecessarily expose them to situations where there is an obvious danger of further injury.:rolleyes:

OP is on her cruise right now; not sure she'll be reading and replying to these comments.

Anyway, I guess that's why you sign the waiver, right? RCI doesn't want to be sued but honestly, I wouldn't let my child do it and I would hope RCI wouldn't either.

EDITED to add this:

my son boke his wrist, with permission from doctor he was cleared for flowrider. They did not have any issue with cast on freedom flow rider, he spent entire cruise on the flow rider, fell quite hard and often, had a blast

You know what? Sorry but I actually don't believe you. If you have some pictures of this, it'd be great, because I can't believe they'd allow it.

I'm assuming that you are an adult and capable of deciding for yourself as to what risks you are willing to take, and that is fine. However, the OP is a parent asking whether RCI will allow her child to go on the flowrider with a broken arm in a cast and seeming to indicate that his or her hope is that RCI will allow it. To many of us that seems to be contrary to what most of us as parents would feel was appropriate. Allowing your child to do something that puts them at risk, when they have just recently suffered a broken arm, seems extremely shortsighted. We needn't wrap our children up and protect them from all possible dangers but we also shouldn't unnecessarily expose them to situations where there is an obvious danger of further injury.:rolleyes:

i guess than keep your kids off to the side, i grew a different lifestyle i guess where we surfed, skated, snowboarded and every other board sport no matter what the injury was my parents let us go as long as we could handle it. however that is getting off topic.. OP use your discretion..

Oakley, good for you, but you aren't a parent are you? Is it really worth a more permanent injury? Someone has to be the adult and make responsible decisions. If I left my kids do everything they ever "wanted" to, I wouldn't have been a responsible parent.

I also have a hard time believing RCCL would allow someone with a cast to use the flowrider. Especially in someone who is still growing, another break could cause permanent damage to a growth plate that's not fixable.

RCCL's concern is also that allowing someone injured to use it is a big liability issue and could put them at risk for a lawsuit. Let's face it, just because mom and dad said it's okay, doesn't mean they'd feel that way if their child was hurt further on the flowrider. It's called someone has to be the responsible one/adult.

One thing no one addresed was the rock wall. I climbed one on the Majesty and I gotta tell ya, with two perfectly healthy arms, my hands were so completely numb by the time I came down that I LITERALLY couldn't move my fingers to untie my shoes. My arms were incredibly sore for a few days later. I can't IMAGINE having the strength in my arms if one was in a cast!

You know what? Sorry but I actually don't believe you. If you have some pictures of this, it'd be great, because I can't believe they'd allow it.

I agree with your skepticism. This is bbvitus' first post, and I think that it is either a complete fabrication, or a child who needs to go back to school SOON. :rolleyes:

Archived