Arm in cast..flowrider restrictions?

Ok i have not read all the posts before me so i apologize in advance if i'm repeating anything but i feel like after being on this forum for about a year i read the same thing everyday.

anyway. I don't think there should be a problem with the cast. If i had it on i'd still want to use the flow rider. tell her to fall on her butt. thats the safest way to fall on that thing. A cast would no way stop me because i think its the best thing on the ship.

Surely you realize that there's no way to "decide" you're going to fall on your butt on the Flowrider?

And a cast might very well stop you from riding the Flowrider if RCI says you can't. It's not entirely up to you.

Oakley, good for you, but you aren't a parent are you? Is it really worth a more permanent injury? Someone has to be the adult and make responsible decisions. If I left my kids do everything they ever "wanted" to, I wouldn't have been a responsible parent.

I also have a hard time believing RCCL would allow someone with a cast to use the flowrider. Especially in someone who is still growing, another break could cause permanent damage to a growth plate that's not fixable.

RCCL's concern is also that allowing someone injured to use it is a big liability issue and could put them at risk for a lawsuit. Let's face it, just because mom and dad said it's okay, doesn't mean they'd feel that way if their child was hurt further on the flowrider. It's called someone has to be the responsible one/adult.

Great response; exactly what I think.

my son boke his wrist, with permission from doctor he was cleared for flowrider. They did not have any issue with cast on freedom flow rider, he spent entire cruise on the flow rider, fell quite hard and often, had a blast

Really? This is quite interesting and unbelievable. What kind of a doctor cleared a child or teen to go on something like the Flowrider while in a cast with broken bones healing? What kind of cruise line says it's perfectly fine? You say "He fell quite hard and often," but I can't help but doubt your story.

beachchick

You really can't predict which way to fall each time. We saw a girl about 15 get caught up in the backwash at the top of the flowrider, and she tumbled and tumbled, unable to get up and out on her own. They had to turn the machine off for her to stop tumbling.

Those may well be all and good, but where do these dogs lift their legs and do what they have to do. Who is expected to clean up after them. See that the ships are enclosed modes, and don't get me wrong, I really don't see a place for dogs or cats on ships. I have a cat I dearly love, but he is better off at home. That lady from Britain who thought it would be nice to take her dog, better rethink her modes of vacations if she can't stand to be away from her pet. Most dog owners I see and there are many where I live, do not pick up after there dogs. Also, one poster mentioned the allergy factor as well. Just me two cents worth.

This thread is getting rather repetitive (except for Cooncat!). Let's hope BBvitus replies, and let's hope the OP lets us know how things turned out.

I didn't mean to cause a stir, I just remember how much fun my son had on the flowrider he learned to do the standup surfing, his wrist was in a blue water proof cast, I am a 39 year old father to three, and surprised to be called hard to belive. My wife who is better at computers will help put a picture of austin 13 at the time on the flow rider. if anyone could give advice as to how to attach photo this would be helpful. I would never put my children in harms way, the doctor was to take cast off during time of cruise just like person who asked. I recomend having frank talk with doctor. If he clears her then let her try.

OP is on her cruise right now; not sure she'll be reading and replying to these comments.

Anyway, I guess that's why you sign the waiver, right? RCI doesn't want to be sued but honestly, I wouldn't let my child do it and I would hope RCI wouldn't either.

EDITED to add this:

You know what? Sorry but I actually don't believe you. If you have some pictures of this, it'd be great, because I can't believe they'd allow it.

Well it will be interesting after i post photo tonight, if you will retract and apoligize. I was just trying to help someone with a question that I had fist hand knowlege. Thank you. I will atempt to put photo on after work Any advice how. from sd card

Surely you realize that there's no way to "decide" you're going to fall on your butt on the Flowrider?

And a cast might very well stop you from riding the Flowrider if RCI says you can't. It's not entirely up to you.

Great response; exactly what I think.

Really? This is quite interesting and unbelievable. What kind of a doctor cleared a child or teen to go on something like the Flowrider while in a cast with broken bones healing? What kind of cruise line says it's perfectly fine? You say "He fell quite hard and often," but I can't help but doubt your story.

beachchick

Sorry you find this hard to belive, I will put photo on tonight. The doctor was highly regarded, and has a great respect in our community. I have a hard time thinking you would Question me. I hope you enjoy the picture. thank you.

I agree with your skepticism. This is bbvitus' first post, and I think that it is either a complete fabrication, or a child who needs to go back to school SOON. :rolleyes:

My son is a great kid who just wanted to have fun, doctor said chance of rebreak was extremly remote. My son son is going back to school today. He was thirteen at the time.

He spent his summer working for me commercial fishing in the bering sea. He will grow up and be a strong indivdual, with a good work ethic thank you for your concern.

bb: interesting that you found this forum just yesterday and have first hand experience in this thread.

Very interesting coincedence.

And that this is the only thread you have posted.

You will find a lot of skepticis on this forum, a lot of people who doubt the motives of people who post things, esp of posters with a low post count. Sorry, thats just the way it is....I am one of them who wonders if this is really the 'way it is'

I will look forward to seeing the pic of your kiddo on FR. I know when I was in my cast (this past Feb/March)=cast from knuckles to shoulder--4 seprate breaks in my arm/elbow/hand -- I could barely walk down the stairs let alone try something like FR.

;)

bb: interesting that you found this forum just yesterday and have first hand experience in this thread.

Very interesting coincedence.

And that this is the only thread you have posted.

You will find a lot of skepticis on this forum, a lot of people who doubt the motives of people who post things, esp of posters with a low post count. Sorry, thats just the way it is....I am one of them who wonders if this is really the 'way it is'

I will look forward to seeing the pic of your kiddo on FR. I know when I was in my cast (this past Feb/March)=cast from knuckles to shoulder--4 seprate breaks in my arm/elbow/hand -- I could barely walk down the stairs let alone try something like FR.

;)

Thanks for post sorry about your cast, my sons cast was for broken wrist he had pins in his wrist cast was to come off during cruise. the reason i have never posted is because I didnt have any relivent info. We are going on freedom over thankgiving this nov was just lookig for interesting info. really looking forward to showing photo to you people who dont belive. The staff was very informal and did not have a polciy in place. It became his favorite place to hang out. We even rented the flowrider for one hour at night private lessons 300 dollars if I remember. Well worth it. I do get a laugh that people think one would lie in a forum on a subject of this matter.

BTW: its real easy to post a pic, you can do it. Just create a post scrool down to "manage attachments' click that...hit browse...find pic hit "upload" then hit submit post.

tada..pic will appear.

Thank you will try tonight, I appriciate you help you seem to be very helpfull and I think you will not be surprised to see austin flowriding with cast. I guess what i am trying to say is you are well spoken and informative, and dont think my story is false, thank you will try tonight late to post pic thanks.

bbvitus, I stand corrected. Thank you for supplying the picture. I do hope you can understand the skepticism though, not only from me but from several others as well.

Honestly, I still can't believe both RCI and you as his parent, let him do it, but that's the way it goes. I suppose once RCI has the signed waiver, it's full steam ahead. Personally, I would never have let my child do it, as most of the folks here have stated.

bbvitus, I stand corrected. Thank you for supplying the picture. I do hope you can understand the skepticism though, not only from me but from several others as well.

Honestly, I still can't believe both RCI and you as his parent, let him do it, but that's the way it goes. I suppose once RCI has the signed waiver, it's full steam ahead. Personally, I would never have let my child do it, as most of the folks here have stated.

Thank you, I agree it was not an easy choice, but the doctor is the expert, he felt strongly austin had no chance of rebreaking. After watching austin ,we as parents felt he was safe. It was his favorite thing to do on the boat

Thank you, I agree it was not an easy choice, but the doctor is the expert, he felt strongly austin had no chance of rebreaking. After watching austin ,we as parents felt he was safe. It was his favorite thing to do on the boat

I'm not in the medical field, but I would expect that it really depends on the severity and possibly location of the break... I had a nasty wrist break April 3, 2008 and was just cleared to do things like the flowrider, bike, skate, ski, etc. in June, 2009.... more than a year after my accident.

It is definitely a good idea for anyone to talk to their doctor like you did before doing it.

My daughter broke her arm just before we left on holidays. We are finding some of the rides at the theme parks wont let her ride with her cast. Just wondering if she will be allowed on the flowrider/rock climbing wall. The cast is waterproof so no problem there. Just wondering if anyone has any first had experience. The darn thing is due to come off while we are on the cruise but she is stuck with it for a few extra days untill we get home.:confused:

YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT????:eek:

i am eagerly waiting to read the posts of folks asking you to pardon their jaded statements. i hope you get lots of apologies.

I have no intention of apologizing, but I am glad that bbvitus provided proof. IMO it's not "jaded" to consider something like this hard to believe without seeing it. I am sure that they did what they felt was best, but I still think it was foolhardy. I am also very glad that their son was not hurt further/again and that he enjoyed himself.

beachchick

I have no intention of apologizing, but I am glad that bbvitus provided proof. IMO it's not "jaded" to consider something like this hard to believe without seeing it. I am sure that they did what they felt was best, but I still think it was foolhardy. I am also very glad that their son was not hurt further/again and that he enjoyed himself.

beachchick

I think it's jaded to outright tell someone you don't beleive them because it's a difficult thing for you to accept. A medical doctor, who I'm going to assume would know the severity of the break and the level of activity appropriate at the time better than you and I, advised that it would be fine. RCCL accepted the waiver as enough for them. All the posters that immediatley said 'I don't beleive you' 'what kind of doctor would do that' 'what kind of parent would do that' and similiar just jumped to their own conclusion as gospel. I'm not slamming you or anyone else, but we see this response so often on here and it is very rarely a provable fact, as this was with the photo - usually we just slam them, call them a liar in so many words and move on to the next thread. I, for one, want the poster to know that I apologize for all the CC'ers that were clearly rude and made snap judgements about your credibility, doctor and parenting. As I said, we have no idea how bad the break was and the doctor clearly didn't think it would be an issue. Nothing wrong with getting a professional opinion and then observing your child to make sure it's okay, which is what the poster did. His son is quite obviously having a great time and didn't injure himself.

I think it's jaded to outright tell someone you don't beleive them because it's a difficult thing for you to accept. A medical doctor, who I'm going to assume would know the severity of the break and the level of activity appropriate at the time better than you and I, advised that it would be fine. RCCL accepted the waiver as enough for them. All the posters that immediatley said 'I don't beleive you' 'what kind of doctor would do that' 'what kind of parent would do that' and similiar just jumped to their own conclusion as gospel. I'm not slamming you or anyone else, but we see this response so often on here and it is very rarely a provable fact, as this was with the photo - usually we just slam them, call them a liar in so many words and move on to the next thread. I, for one, want the poster to know that I apologize for all the CC'ers that were clearly rude and made snap judgements about your credibility, doctor and parenting. As I said, we have no idea how bad the break was and the doctor clearly didn't think it would be an issue. Nothing wrong with getting a professional opinion and then observing your child to make sure it's okay, which is what the poster did. His son is quite obviously having a great time and didn't injure himself.

To bad your not going on freedom 11/22, you seem like a good guy to hang out with. I dont take offense, just never thought people were so skeptical. If people really think I have nothing better to do than spend all this time with this, I was just trying to help another parent with a situation close to ours. Kids are amazing in what they can acomplish when given the tools.

To bad your not going on freedom 11/22, you seem like a good guy to hang out with. I dont take offense, just never thought people were so skeptical. If people really think I have nothing better to do than spend all this time with this, I was just trying to help another parent with a situation close to ours. Kids are amazing in what they can acomplish when given the tools.

I totally agree with your last sentence there - well said! Too bad we won't be on the same cruise - it would be great to meet some of the good people on this board! Oh, but I'd be a good chick to hang out with, not guy - hard to tell on message boards! lol:D:p

Archived