Why is Princess Cruise Tours so much more $$$ compared to Holland Cruise Tours.

Jimbo

I just returned from land cruise tour on Princess Diamond. It was exceptional. My advice is to choose your itinerary, then the ship. It was important to me to see Glacier Bay, which allows only one or two ships per day. So I made sure we booked with a ship that had the Glacier Bay pass. Once we determined our itineray, I diligently watched the pricing on both lines and signed up for email alerts. Princess offered the tour at a remarkable price last February that beat all other lines...We booked immediately and two weeks later the ship was sold out. Our experience was beyond perfect.

Because the ship has to move so slowly through Glacier Bay we were able to see lots of whales, otters, and sea lions right outside our Balcony.

We booked our excursions independently and ended up with holland America's vendors for many of the events, so spent a lot of time at their Denali lodge which is next to Princess Lodge. The tourists there seemed pleased.

I regret not upgrading to the Tundra Tour, but we wanted to do ATV riding and White water rafting so could not spend all that time on the bus. Those who did the Tundra Tour were rewarded with countless bear, Moose, elk and sheep sightings.

Have a wonderful time preapring for your cruise.

DK

If you can drive a car your best choice is still independent travel.

Not for everyone. I didn't want to have to do the planning required for 4 people to travel. Worry about maps, finding sights to see in various locations, driving, finding fuel stops, hasseling traffic in Anchorage and Fairbanks, schlepping luggage, and even checked RV but didn't want to be stuck cooking & cleaning for 4. I much preferred being pampered, looked after, tell me where to be and what time to be there, and I'll sit back and enjoy the scenery, letting the bus driver schlepp my luggage and worry about traffic, getting me where I'm supposed to be next. The schedule isn't really hectic at all. My only complaint were the meals. We eat early, but didn't arrive into town until 5:30-6:30 each night and the restaurants all had an hour wait to be seated, except the restaurants right at the hotels. But we overcame that with snacks we purchased and took on the bus with us. I made sure when I booked the cruisetour, that it went where I wanted to go and did the things I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to see Whitehorse and Dawson City Yukon, and interior Alaska. When we arrived in Dawson City, we fell in love with the small quaint town. And Eagle, Chicken & Tok Alaska were unbelievable. The cat ride on the Yukon River was amazing too. The McKinley Chalet & Resort that HAL uses at Denali was like having our own cabin in the woods. And the bonus of meeting Jeff King and his wife Donna Gates was beyond my expectations. I have followed the Iditarod for a few years, and I told the other travelers, I was going to his Homestead if I had to walk. I was overjoyed when I saw it was an excursion that HAL offered. Everyone enjoyed the dog kennel, but my highlight was meeting the man and his wife.

Sorry for the long post, my point is, independent isn't necessarily best for everyone. Each of us have to decide what is best for us. Coach touring isn't for everyone, for sure, but it sure seems very popular for Alaska. We had two coach fulls 1A and 1B with 40 people on each coach. And there was never a shortage of coaches along the way.

So OP, do your research and pick what is best for you, and have a great trip to Alaska, our last Frontier! It is indeed AWESOME!

I only cruised HAL and did not have any of the issues mentioned above. However, I have done a lot of reading, and it sounds to me like these things happen one time or another on most cruiseships. Luck of the draw as I see it.

I say pick the itinerary, not the cruiseline.

:confused:

I don't think I'm reading this right.

For the OP, MO your going too early and why don't you plan your own land tours.

Jack

for the lovely

For people that do there own land tours. We want to start in Fairbanks and work our way south all the way to Whittier.

If we take the train from Fairbanks to Denali is there a car rental in that area so we can drive the rest of the way to Whittier and drop the car off there at the end of our land tour.

Or are we just better off taking motor coach or trains all the way south?

Major stops from Fairbanks is Denali, Talkeenta, Seward, Girthwood and then to our final stop to pick up the ship in Whittier.

Jimbo:)

For people that do there own land tours. We want to start in Fairbanks and work our way south all the way to Whittier.

If we take the train from Fairbanks to Denali is there a car rental in that area so we can drive the rest of the way to Whittier and drop the car off there at the end of our land tour.

Or are we just better off taking motor coach or trains all the way south?

Major stops from Fairbanks is Denali, Talkeenta, Seward, Girthwood and then to our final stop to pick up the ship in Whittier.

No there is no car rental options outside of Fairbanks or Anchorage. You might want to think think this through carefully. Round trip Anchorage is simple and easy to do, with "cheap" rental cars. Otherwise, also consider a costly one way Fairbanks/Anchorage car. My opinion, you need an extra, overall day if you go by Alaska RR on this route and is beneficial to have a stop in Talkeetna as well, doing the train over 3 instead of 2 days. Problem is, the limits of not having your own car, and missing all the potential "small" stuff that is all along the way Fairbanks/Anchorage. IF the train is your priority, then by FAR, the most scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward, which is what I recommend you consider.

As a sample, spend two days in Fairbanks, with a one way rental car. 2 nights at Denali Park, 1-2 between Talkeetna/Anchorage. Overnight in Anchorage, train to Seward- at least 1 overnight- 2 offers more. :) Then a direct shuttle/taxi to Whittier, although, may look costly, this avoids backtracking- eating up valuable time, especially if you don't have it. Key is how much you have??? If 10 days, then the backtracking is insignificant, but if only 7, decide how much you vacation time is worth?? Consider the big picture, if single costs are alarming and the totals. :)

No there is no car rental options outside of Fairbanks or Anchorage. You might want to think think this through carefully. Round trip Anchorage is simple and easy to do, with "cheap" rental cars. Otherwise, also consider a costly one way Fairbanks/Anchorage car. My opinion, you need an extra, overall day if you go by Alaska RR on this route and is beneficial to have a stop in Talkeetna as well, doing the train over 3 instead of 2 days. Problem is, the limits of not having your own car, and missing all the potential "small" stuff that is all along the way Fairbanks/Anchorage. IF the train is your priority, then by FAR, the most scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward, which is what I recommend you consider.

As a sample, spend two days in Fairbanks, with a one way rental car. 2 nights at Denali Park, 1-2 between Talkeetna/Anchorage. Overnight in Anchorage, train to Seward- at least 1 overnight- 2 offers more. :) Then a direct shuttle/taxi to Whittier, although, may look costly, this avoids backtracking- eating up valuable time, especially if you don't have it. Key is how much you have??? If 10 days, then the backtracking is insignificant, but if only 7, decide how much you vacation time is worth?? Consider the big picture, if single costs are alarming and the totals. :)

Without a car rental does this seem doable?

Friday Night late arrival into Fairbanks

Hotel 2 nights

Saturday Excursions (Riverboat Discovery Cruise AM) (ElDorado Gold Mine Tour PM)

Sunday

Alaska RailRoad Fairbanks to Denali Depart 8:15am

Hotel in Denali 2 nights

Sunday Excursion (Denali Raft McKinley Mild Water PM)

Monday Excursion (Denali Widerness Tour AM)

Tuesday

Alaska RailRoad Denali to Talkeetna depart 12 Noon

Hotel 1 night

Tuesday Excursion (K2 McKinley Experience Flight 6:30pm)

Wednesday

Park Conx Bus Talkeetna to Seward depart 11am

Hotel 2 Nights

Thursday Excursion ( Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise depart 11:30am)

Friday

Alaska Transportation Group(Private Shuttle) Seward to Girdwood ($100.00 total for 2 passengers)

Hotel 1 Night Hotel Alyeska

Friday Afternoon or Saturday Morning Excursion depending on Weather Conditions (Alyeska Tram Ride)

Saturday

Alaska Transportation Group(Private Shuttle) Girdwood to Whittier to board the ship ($70.00 total for 2 passengers)

How does this look? Do you see any possible problems I'm missing?

I know it doesn't include a train ride from Anchorage to Seward like you suggested but out of the 2 train rides we do have which one is more scenic? Which one should we consider doing the Dome Car and which one the regular train? Fairbanks to Denali or Denali to Talkeetna ?

Without a car rental does this seem doable?

Hotel 2 nights

Saturday Excursions (Riverboat Discovery Cruise AM) (ElDorado Gold Mine Tour PM)

Sunday

Hotel in Denali 2 nights

Tuesday

Hotel 1 night

Wednesday

Park Conx Bus Talkeetna to Seward depart 11am

Hotel 2 Nights

Thursday Excursion ( Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise depart 11:30am)

Friday

Alaska Transportation Group(Private Shuttle) Seward to Girdwood ($100.00 total for 2 passengers)

Friday Afternoon or Saturday Morning Excursion depending on Weather Conditions (Alyeska Tram Ride)

Saturday

Alaska Transportation Group(Private Shuttle) Girdwood to Whittier to board the ship ($70.00 total for 2 passengers)

How does this look? Do you see any possible problems I'm missing?

I know it doesn't include a train ride from Anchorage to Seward like you suggested but out of the 2 train rides we do have which one is more scenic? Which one should we consider doing the Dome Car and which one the regular train? Fairbanks to Denali or Denali to Talkeetna ?

This is decent plan without your own transportation. Less than ideal is a bus Talkeetna/Seward- you will be missing out on some significant sightseeing options, since this service is transportation based only, point to point. Having been on the Alaska RR more than once Anchorage/Fairbanks, this is not the most scenic portion. By far, Anchorage/Seward is way superior. The "regular" train is excellent, if you want to go with the dome, it doesn't matter which portion you choose, about the same, except for time.

As only another consideration. I would not consider going to Fairbanks for just your two chosen tours. It simply isn't worth the time, in my opinion. This is a city best seen with a car rental and having a priority for sightseeing more than this. You essentially are doing a "cruisetour" with nothing extra, you might want to consider looking for one, since there have been some two for one deals next season.

As only another suggestion. An alternative suggestion is to take the train Seward Anchorage, rather than staying two nights- your time does not allow any further activites either. Overnight one night each in Anchorage and Seward. Then I would get the "bus" Anchorage/Girdwood. Then the final transfer to Whittier. As a highly recommended suggestion- PWS boat tours are superb. And a great use of time, rather than rushing to get on a cruise ship. You may want to consider taking advantage of some varied touring and sightseeing instead.

This is decent plan without your own transportation. Less than ideal is a bus Talkeetna/Seward- you will be missing out on some significant sightseeing options, since this service is transportation based only, point to point. Having been on the Alaska RR more than once Anchorage/Fairbanks, this is not the most scenic portion. By far, Anchorage/Seward is way superior. The "regular" train is excellent, if you want to go with the dome, it doesn't matter which portion you choose, about the same, except for time.

As only another consideration. I would not consider going to Fairbanks for just your two chosen tours. It simply isn't worth the time, in my opinion. This is a city best seen with a car rental and having a priority for sightseeing more than this. You essentially are doing a "cruisetour" with nothing extra, you might want to consider looking for one, since there have been some two for one deals next season.

As only another suggestion. An alternative suggestion is to take the train Seward Anchorage, rather than staying two nights- your time does not allow any further activites either. Overnight one night each in Anchorage and Seward. Then I would get the "bus" Anchorage/Girdwood. Then the final transfer to Whittier. As a highly recommended suggestion- PWS boat tours are superb. And a great use of time, rather than rushing to get on a cruise ship. You may want to consider taking advantage of some varied touring and sightseeing instead.

My wife really wants to fly into Fairbanks though so I don't think there is a way around that.

Since you are recommending PWS Boat Tours maybe we should just skip Seward all together since we were only going there for the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise anyway. Have you been on both, do you really prefer the PWS over ther Kenai Fjords?

So it would look like this:

Hotel 2 nights

Sunday

Hotel in Denali 2 nights

Tuesday

Hotel 1 night

Wednesday

Alaska Transportation Group(Private Shuttle)Talkteetna to Anchorage

($110.00 total for 2 passengers)

Hotel 1 Night

Wednesday Excursion (PWS Boat Tours) 6-hour cruise (11:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Thursday

Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Seward - Dome Train(6:45 AM depart Anchorage Depot, arrive Seward 11:05 AM

Hotel 1 night

Friday

Saturday

My wife really wants to fly into Fairbanks though so I don't think there is a way around that.

Since you are recommending PWS Boat Tours maybe we should just skip Seward all together since we were only going there for the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise anyway. Have you been on both, do you really prefer the PWS over ther Kenai Fjords?

So it would look like this:

Hotel 2 nights

Sunday

Hotel in Denali 2 nights

Tuesday

Hotel 1 night

Wednesday

Hotel 1 Night

Thursday

Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Seward - Dome Train(6:45 AM depart Anchorage Depot, arrive Seward 11:05 AM

Thursday Evening or Friday Morning Excursion depending on Weather Conditions (Alyeska Tram Ride)

Friday

Alaska Transportation Group(Private Shuttle) Girdwood to Whittier ($70.00 total for 2 passengers)

Hotel 1 night

Saturday Excursion (PWS Boat Tours) 6-hour cruise (11:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Then Board Princess Diamond in Whittier before the 8:30pm departure

Made more changes. lol

Made more changes. lol

Better check out Alaska Transportation Group. There have been reported problems and they have an F rating with the BBB. I believe the Park Connection bus stops in Talkeetna on the way to ANC.

You are SEVERELY backtracking by going via rail to Seward, then taking a shuttle BACK to Alyeska. You pass Girdwood/Alyeska on the way to Seward. UNLESS you are doing a Kenai Fjords cruise when you arrive Seward, there is no need to do this. You can get a shuttle to Alyeska or even take the train just to Girdwood. Get off, spend the night, pick up the train the next morning to either Seward or Whittier. Have you investigated picking up a one way rental from ANC that you can drop off in Whittier. You could drive to Alyeska, spend a LOT of time seeing all there is to see along Turnagain Arm, take the tram the same day, eat dinner at Seven Glaciers that evening (simply spectacular). Then the NEXT day go to Seward, take the Kenai Fjords tour and SPEND the night in SEWARD, NOT Whittier. The following day you can either go on the PWS tour out of Whittier, or spend some more time in Seward BEFORE you drive to Whittier to board your ship. You REALLY don't want to spend the night in Whittier. NOT a tourist town.

Better check out Alaska Transportation Group. There have been reported problems and they have an F rating with the BBB. I believe the Park Connection bus stops in Talkeetna on the way to ANC.

You are SEVERELY backtracking by going via rail to Seward, then taking a shuttle BACK to Alyeska. You pass Girdwood/Alyeska on the way to Seward. UNLESS you are doing a Kenai Fjords cruise when you arrive Seward, there is no need to do this. You can get a shuttle to Alyeska or even take the train just to Girdwood. Get off, spend the night, pick up the train the next morning to either Seward or Whittier. Have you investigated picking up a one way rental from ANC that you can drop off in Whittier. You could drive to Alyeska, spend a LOT of time seeing all there is to see along Turnagain Arm, take the tram the same day, eat dinner at Seven Glaciers that evening (simply spectacular). Then the NEXT day go to Seward, take the Kenai Fjords tour and SPEND the night in SEWARD, NOT Whittier. The following day you can either go on the PWS tour out of Whittier, or spend some more time in Seward BEFORE you drive to Whittier to board your ship. You REALLY don't want to spend the night in Whittier. NOT a tourist town.

Hello,

Reason we are going via rail to Seward because I'm told that is the best scenic route for the train. Kind of decided instead of staying in Seward where we really aren't going to do anything anyway since we are switching out the Kenai Fjords Boat trip for the PWS Boat trip.

Decided we would rather already be in Whittier that morning of the PWS Boat tour.

I know it's a little bit of doubling back but I can't see a way of getting in that train ride any other way.

Would like to get a car rental though on Sunday from Fairbanks and have it until we get to Anchorage on Wednesday but priced that at almost $800 because of the one way drop fee etc. Way to much so opted for the train rides and The Alaska Transportation Group. Now you tell me they are bad news. Might be back to square one again.

Hello,

Reason we are going via rail to Seward because I'm told that is the best scenic route for the train. Kind of decided instead of staying in Seward where we really aren't going to do anything anyway since we are switching out the Kenai Fjords Boat trip for the PWS Boat trip.

Decided we would rather already be in Whittier that morning of the PWS Boat tour.

I know it's a little bit of doubling back but I can't see a way of getting in that train ride any other way.

Would like to get a car rental though on Sunday from Fairbanks and have it until we get to Anchorage on Wednesday but priced that at almost $800 because of the one way drop fee etc. Way to much so opted for the train rides and The Alaska Transportation Group. Now you tell me they are bad news. Might be back to square one again.

Kenai Fjords Tours and PWS tours are very different experiences. Kenai Fjords is about wildlife and PWS is about Glaciers, with the tours going through Esther Passage the most highly recommended. For anyone who has the time, it would be great to do both. Consider how much it is costing to get to Alaska. If you have the time and money, you might as well see all you can.

The Anchorage to Seward segment of the Alaska Railroad is truly very, very scenic. If you are hoping to see a lot of beautiful scenery in Alaska, this is a must do in my mind.

PJs Taxis out of Seward does runs to Whittier. If time, they will allow for stops along the way.

I am just curious, as to why you aren't interested in a car rental. There is so much more you can stop and see if you have your own car. Even with high rental costs, you may be able to shorten your trip a day which would be a cost savings. As BQ told you, it is necessary to add more time when you want to travel by train.

I have recently read that ALamo was offering good car rental rates in ALaska. Previous years Enterprise was offering good rates. You just have to keep watching. I like to use www.kayak.com to find rates. You literally need to check everyday. The earlier you rent your car the more likely you will get better rates. There are other savings with a car rental too. You might be able to find cheaper lodgings a bit further away from the train stations. YOu can carry a cooler and save on lunches. So, you can make up for that car rental cost. Also when you consider what it will cost for you for the train, the car may not be that bad of a deal with the other savings you may realize.

Good luck with your plans

Well at the beginning of our plans the only train rides we were going to have were from Fairbanks to Denali and then from Denali to Talkeetna so there really wasn't way to use a car rental from Fairbanks.

Then everyone started to tell me those train rides aren't that scenic anyway and that we just had to take the train from Anchorage to Seward.

So now the car rental makes more sense I guess.

If I cut out the cheapest train rides for those 2 segments right there that would save us $240 plus I wouldn't need the transportation from Talkteetna to Anchorage either (Another $110 savings.)

So it looks like I would only need the car rental from Sunday 12 noon in Fairbanks to 12 noon on Wednesday in Anchorage with the current plans above.

Are there any off airport locations it either city that take one way rentals? which may be lower priced? Which is best?

Leaning on staying at the Alpine Lodge (2 nights) in Fairbanks and already have a (1 night) reservation at the Anchorage Grand Hotel in Anchorage right across the street from the train station.

Question what time would I have to leave Talkteetna to get the car back to Anchorage by 12 noon on Wednesday?

Lowest one way car rental I found so far is Avis around $600.00 So the car rental would cost us about $250 more plus gas usage but give us a little more flexibility in our schedule.

About doing both Kenai Fjords Tours and PWS tours, our scedule is pretty packed already just not sure we want to pack one more thing in and take our chances with the weather being bad. The dates for the land portion is from May 21 to May 29 pre cruise.

Another question with the car rental will we have any kind of problems on the road because weather related road issues at that time of the year. Road closures etc that may hold us up along the way?

Well at the beginning of our plans the only train rides we were going to have were from Fairbanks to Denali and then from Denali to Talkeetna so there really wasn't way to use a car rental from Fairbanks.

Then everyone started to tell me those train rides aren't that scenic anyway and that we just had to take the train from Anchorage to Seward.

So now the car rental makes more sense I guess.

If I cut out the cheapest train rides for those 2 segments right there that would save us $240 plus I wouldn't need the transportation from Talkteetna to Anchorage either (Another $110 savings.)

So it looks like I would only need the car rental from Sunday 12 noon in Fairbanks to 12 noon on Wednesday in Anchorage with the current plans above.

Are there any off airport locations it either city that take one way rentals? which may be lower priced? Which is best?

Leaning on staying at the Alpine Lodge (2 nights) in Fairbanks and already have a (1 night) reservation at the Anchorage Grand Hotel in Anchorage right across the street from the train station.

Question what time would I have to leave Talkteetna to get the car back to Anchorage by 12 noon on Wednesday?

Lowest one way car rental I found so far is Avis around $600.00 So the car rental would cost us about $250 more plus gas usage but give us a little more flexibility in our schedule.

About doing both Kenai Fjords Tours and PWS tours, our scedule is pretty packed already just not sure we want to pack one more thing in and take our chances with the weather being bad. The dates for the land portion is from May 21 to May 29 pre cruise.

Another question with the car rental will we have any kind of problems on the road because weather related road issues at that time of the year. Road closures etc that may hold us up along the way?

I am not being "mean", but I suggest you step back and get more information, rather than looking at making an itinerary now. You have some inaccurate and "odd" ideas that for me, an "Outsider" would never consider or recommend. I suggest you spend more time, finding out about these areas and make sure you want to do what you are suggesting.

As only "my opinion", it makes no sense going to Fairbanks without another day. As you have found out, it is costly and very limited what is available for a one way rental car. However- it is the ONLY way, I recommend. - The "cost" of your "plan", is less than ideal planning and severe limits on touring options without enough time.

A reason I'm suggesting you find out more- is your references to Fairbanks and Seward. Frankly, if you had more information, I think your ideas would be very different. It isn't enough to go back and forth to Seward for just the transit only. The reason to go there is for the many excellent and varied touring options available. You need to look at, time, which you don't have enough of, frankly. Opting for Girdwood over Seward may not be the choice, if you knew what Seward offers. IF you are looking for a scenic railroad, then look at doing the White Pass RR out of Skagway- it's a winner.

TOP wildlife choices in Alaska are Denali Park and Kenai Fjords. YES YES YES, a Kenai Fjords boat tour is a top tour choice in interior Alaska. Just about consistant rave reviews, over and over and over. This is all about varied wildlife viewing and close up glacier look. PWS, is completely different an ALSO, extremely worthwhile tour option. FAR superior to anything seen from a cruiseship, and for many people, it is an excellent use of time, rather than rushing on a cruiseship that doesn't depart until late.

So, my frank opinion, again, only that. I have done all of your list repeatively.

As I posted previously, if you don't want to rent a car, you can take the train from Anchorage to Girdwood, get off the train for a night at Alyeska. The next morning, leave Girdwood on the train about 8:00AM, arrive Seward about 11:00AM. All day to go on a Kenai Fjords tour and see what else Seward has to offer. Spend the night in Seward. The next morning, take PJ's taxi to Whittier. Still time to go on a PWS tour AND you don't have to spend the night in Whittier, where there is little to do and see, other than board the ship and the PWS tour.

And I sure would not rent the car in Fairbanks. Those are even higher drop charges than renting from ANC and dropping at either Whittier or Seward. I rented a car last fall (prepaid reservation) for use this week in Alaska for our friends. We are all currently in Prudhoe Bay and wanted to drop the rental in Fairbanks, as you need a different car to drive to Prudhoe. The drop charge was ASTRONOMICAL-something like $300.00. So I said I would drop it off at the car rental place and pick it back up when we came through Fairbanks on our return from Prudhoe. They STILL wanted $150.00 in Fairbanks AND since it would be a "new" rental (rented out of ANC initially) FROM Fairbanks, the drop fee in ANC would be $200.00. The rental is parked at the Fairbanks airport in the parking lot. MUCH cheaper than trying to deal with Fairbanks rental cars.

:rolleyes: No one said figuring out this land tour would be easy...... I'm Baack;)

Another question about the 2 boat tours. Late May, weather being unpredictable.

Which one would have the a better chance of being a smoother ride, my wife sometimes has trouble with small boats bobbing up and down. I know these boats hold 3 or 4 hundred people. But which route is more protected from the winds and such?

Maybe then we can narrow it down to just 1 boat tour and then readjust the stops on the land tour.

Thanks for all your help.

:rolleyes: No one said figuring out this land tour would be easy...... I'm Baack;)

Another question about the 2 boat tours. Late May, weather being unpredictable.

Which one would have the a better chance of being a smoother ride, my wife sometimes has trouble with small boats bobbing up and down. I know these boats hold 3 or 4 hundred people. But which route is more protected from the winds and such?

Maybe then we can narrow it down to just 1 boat tour and then readjust the stops on the land tour.

Thanks for all your help.

Prince William Sound out of Whittier, by far is a smoother ride. There are not 300-400 on these boats.

Not sure who or what told you that the Anchorage Grand Hotel is right across the street from the train station, but that's totally incorrect information. The Anchorage Grand hotel sits at the top of a very long hill (or lots of stairs) from the train station.

In regards to roads, in May you won't hit weather related issue but you could hit road construction projects. Our construction season is in full swing (May, sometimes April to September/October).

Susan in Anchorage :)

Susan in Anchorage thanks for clearing that up, okay then the hotel is a stones throw from the railroad station. Have seen pictures from the hotel taken toward the train station, so it's pretty close. Any suggestions of good places to eat in the area,any opinions of the Anchorage Grand Hotel?

Hotel 2 nights Alpine Lodge

Sunday

Hotel in Denali 2 nights Grand Denali

Tuesday

Hotel 1 night Talkteetna Alaskan Lodge

Wednesday

Hotel 1 Night Anchorage Grand Hotel

Thursday

Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Girdwood - Dome Train

Thursday Evening or Friday Morning Excursion depending on Weather Conditions (Alyeska Tram Ride)

Friday -Undecided where to stay? or what to do. Suggestions please? Do not want to do 2 boat tours back to back days, the PWS Boat Tour on Saturday will be enough.

Saturday Excursion before Cruise (Prince William Sound Boat Tour) 6-hour cruise (11:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Susan in Anchorage thanks for clearing that up, okay then the hotel is a stones throw from the railroad station. Have seen pictures from the hotel taken toward the train station, so it's pretty close. Any suggestions of good places to eat in the area,any opinions of the Anchorage Grand Hotel?

Hotel 2 nights Alpine Lodge

Sunday

Hotel in Denali 2 nights Grand Denali

Tuesday

Hotel 1 night Talkteetna Alaskan Lodge

Wednesday

Hotel 1 Night Anchorage Grand Hotel

Thursday

Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Girdwood - Dome Train

Friday -Undecided where to stay? or what to do. Suggestions please? Do not want to do 2 boat tours back to back days, the PWS Boat Tour on Saturday will be enough.

Saturday Excursion before Cruise (Prince William Sound Boat Tour) 6-hour cruise (11:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Frankly, you jumped the gun with all this planning. You need to decide where you want to spend your time?? The way you have this plan now, you have an extra day that doesn't fit well with anything. You could chill out and stay another night at Alyeska?? About the only suggestion that makes good use of time. Looking at the entire picture here- the day would BEST be used in Fairbanks, like I first suggested. You don't realize, how little you are doing there with only the single day. And those tour choices although good, are very touristy catering to large groups of people. There is way way more to also consider.

The only other area to add this day is Anchorage.

Both of these suggestions are going to require you rebook something with perhaps cancelation fees. This is a reason I suggest people have their entire itineraries in place, well thought out, before they get into the booking mode. It is much easier to refine and adjust on paper rather than canceling and rebooking- only a general comment that is my opinion. But I do see this frequently. You have plenty enough time to make these changes which you may want to consider. I never would recommend any backtracking with this itinerary, just not a good use of time. So, make your choices and then have the plans in place.

As an addition, I'm assuming you already know about the Denali Park shuttle buses?? 1/3 the cost of the tour buses, that go further. You do have to bring all your own food and drink, but you really need to consider that on the TWT as well. The "box" meal is skimpy.

I only have 1 place booked as of now and that is the Anchorage Grand Hotel which has a no cancel fee up to 48 hours before we arrive. So that isn't a problem. if we were to stay one more day in Fairbanks at the biginning , what do you suggest we do?

I have been looking at possibly staying Friday in Whittier at http://www.innatwhittier.com/default.htm

The place has changed ownership and looks really nice. Might be nice chilling there. If we arrive early enough we could even do the PWS tour on Friday at 11am instead of Saturday before the cruise which might be a good idea.

That will mean Saturday Morning we won't have to be rushing around to get out of the INN and to the PWS excursion and then on to the ship.

We will be more rested for the cruise with this option.

I have been talking this all over with my wife while I have been talking to you all and now she is telling me maybe since this is causing so much trouble back tracking and such we should just skip Fairbanks completely and just fly into to Anchorage.

I'm sure this way we could rent a car in Anchorage and save alot of Transportation costs, Trains and shuttle services, cab fee etc. Plus airfare will most likely be cheaper from the east coast.

I only have 1 place booked as of now and that is the Anchorage Grand Hotel which has a no cancel fee up to 48 hours before we arrive. So that isn't a problem. if we were to stay one more day in Fairbanks at the biginning , what do you suggest we do?

I have been looking at possibly staying Friday in Whittier at http://www.innatwhittier.com/default.htm

The place has changed ownership and looks really nice. Might be nice chilling there. If we arrive early enough we could even do the PWS tour on Friday at 11am instead of Saturday before the cruise which might be a good idea.

That will mean Saturday Morning we won't have to be rushing around to get out of the INN and to the PWS excursion and then on to the ship.

We will be more rested for the cruise with this option.

I have been talking this all over with my wife while I have been talking to you all and now she is telling me maybe since this is causing so much trouble back tracking and such we should just skip Fairbanks completely and just fly into to Anchorage.

I'm sure this way we could rent a car in Anchorage and save alot of Transportation costs, Trains and shuttle services, cab fee etc. Plus airfare will most likely be cheaper from the east coast.

Oh boy. :) You are all over the place here aren't you?? :) I don't agree with your Alyeska and then Whittier lodging. They are 1/2 hour apart and you will definately be well "relaxed" just going to one.

Determine, what and where you want to spend your time, it appears you are unfamiliar with some areas. Do your homework and find out what they can offer you. Maybe back up, why are you going to Alaska??? Basic question- wildlife?? Scenery? have to do a particular activity?? This would be helpful first. Second, what kind of travel?? You seem to now becoming more open to driving?? Or do you still want the railroad??

As for Fairbanks- http://www.explorefairbanks.com The Alaska U has an excellent museum, large research animal tours- musk ox. Ice Museum, Alaska Public Lands exhibits, North Pole, Chena Hot Springs, excellent flight seeing, great combo fly/van Arctic Circle tours, Pioneer Park, interesting exhibits, good salmon bake, excellent theater. Creamer's Field- hiking, loaded with birds. etc etc etc

Is Denali Park a must for your touring?? An alternative is to do the Kenai Peninsula. Go as far north as Talkeetna for your fight, a day or two in Anchorage, the a couple in each Homer and Seward.

Head to your library- get Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska. You need to figure out where you want to spend your time.

Archived