Why is Princess Cruise Tours so much more $$$ compared to Holland Cruise Tours.

Jimbo

Looking at Southbound 12 or 13 nights for May 2010. Seems Princess Cruise Tours charge alot more. Hardly any worthwhile tours are included. Seems Holland America includes better tours.

Am I missing something, everyone always says Princess is best for Alaska, do they just mean the cruise portion and not the land portion? About the same time frame both cruise tours starting from the same place(Fairbanks) and Princess charges $700.00 more per person, that's $1400.00 for my wife and I. Is Princess really worth the extra $1400, I just don't get it. Can someone explain to me why Princess is so much more?:confused:

Take a look at Direct to the Wilderness Cruise Tour #GB6 departing May 18, 2010 from Fairbanks.

6-night land tour plus 7-night cruise on Island Princess

Only includes Riverboat cruise on an authentic sternwheeler in Fairbanks and 2 train rides to and from Denali National Park included there the Natural History Tour into Denali National Park and then the 7 night cruise.

$2249 before taxes and port charges for an inside Cabin

Now the Holland America Cruise on Discovery Cruise, Alyeska and Double Denali Cruise Tour #20 departing May 10, 2010 from Fairbanks

6-night land tour plus 7-night cruise on Holland America's Ryndam

Now this one includes 2 train rides to and from Denali National Park included there The Tundra Wilderness Tour , Then once in Anchorage Visit the Begich Boggs Visitor Center prior to your Portage Glacier cruise.

$1549 before taxes and port charges for an inside Cabin.

I assume the Tundra Wilderness Tour is much better then the Natural History Tour in Denali and Portage Glacier Cruise is better then the Riverboat Cruise.Most likely the hotel stays are a wash.

:confused:Jimbo:confused:

No matter what it says, you won't get the TWT on a tour that starts May 10th. It is generally after May 20th or maybe a few days later before the bus can get the 53 or (if you're lucky and the mtn. is out) 62 miles into the park. Got to get the snow and ice off the roads and that varies from year to year. Now, on a tour that starts from the end of May on, the description is accurate.

As for the difference in $$$$, I've heard that the places Princess stays are a little nicer than the HAL places. Don't know that as a fact - have only done the land tour with Princess and we had very nice rooms at each place - Captain Cook in Anchorage and the McKinley, Denali and Copper River Lodges. Are they $700/per nicer - I DOUBT that!:p

Keep studying and asking questions here - and you're going to LOVE Alaska!

I think it is a trade off. Holland America charges more for Veranda (Balcony) than Princess does, but charges less for Shore Excursions, so I guess it is all in what you want.

I have never had bad luck with Princess. I went on a Panama Canal Cruise on HAL, but hated the Ship, toilets didn't work, a/c didn't work, etc. Also couldn't afford a balcony on that cruise.

Smiles..........Kitty (Nan)

If Denali is a priority, I would go when you can be assured of getting all the way into the park as already mentioned. I would also suggest a tour that includes two days in Denali and the TWT over the NHT. Personally, I would not want to spend too much time in Aleska, but I do know others who really like to stay in this area. Read up about it to make sure you will be happy with that option.

We do know several couples who have gone on HAL cruise tours and they loved both the cruise and the land tours.

As mentioned, it seems that those who like PRincess, prefer their lodgings. Princess owns several lodgings in Alaska. They seem to cater more to those who like higher end accomodations. Others prefer a truer Alaskan experience, rather than just more of what you would get in the lower 48.

It is all about choices. One choice is not the correct one for everyone. We all have different expectations and interests. The key is to match up a tour with your interests. As long as your tour includes adequate time in the places you are interested in visiting, I am sure you will have a great time.

One criticism I read about Princess is the tours that spend two nights at their McKinley lodge. Apparantly this is a nice lodge in the middle of no where. If Mt. McKinley is out, you get a great view from there, but other than that there is not a whole lot to do around there. However, if you like just chilling out in the wilderness, it could be a good choice. Again, figure out your interests.

I only cruised HAL and did not have any of the issues mentioned above. However, I have done a lot of reading, and it sounds to me like these things happen one time or another on most cruiseships. Luck of the draw as I see it.

I say pick the itinerary, not the cruiseline. You are wise to be researching before you select your trip. Way too many people just pick a tour, or let their TA pick it and then they start their research. They end up disappointed when they find out what they are missing and can't fix it. So, keep reading and figuring out what you want to see in ALaska. Then pick the cruise tour that lets you do that. In my case, after all my research, I couldn't find a cruise tour that included everything I wanted to see and do. So, we did the land independently. It really is easy to do, especially when you have a year to plan it.

I have a SB Princess cruise in 2010. They are more expensive for a couple of reasons. First their lodges are nices than HAL, two they have enhanced the SB cruises by replacing College Fjord cruising with Hubbard Glacier cruising. This is a major upgrade. Although I've never been on HAL, I've heard from people who have been on both lines that Princess has nicer ships than HAL.

Either way, HAL and Princess are supposed to be the two best lines in Alaska due to the contract with Glacier Bay and their experience in the region.

I have done princess. and the location of hotel is better in fairbanks- on a river. food was ok. denial should be two nights- more to do day and night.

have yuo looked at celebrity. i am using them as there is so much to see in Seward.

TWT is definitely better than the NHT in Denali.

I would prefer the Riverboat Discovery to Portage Glacier cruise.

Having said that, I would do an independent land tour vs. a cruisetour. Much less expensive, much more flexible, ability to stop/do things that are not possible on a cruisetour.

Texas Tillie, Mytime53, good point, muchbetter to start the tour the last week of May for a little warmer weather to make sure we get to go down the river and the TWT.

Jimbo:)

Jimbo, just be aware that there can still be some problems in late May. It has been ten years since we last were in Alaska but then, at the end of May when we rented a car to go to Portage Glacier, the parking lot was still filled with a winter's worth of snow and the Visitors Center, which I had visited on a previous trip and found extremely interesting, was not yet open for the season. When we reached Denali on May 27th, we had no problems but id did snow while we were in the Park (flurries with little or no accumulation)

:)

We did the holland cruise several years back, Vancouver to Seward, No land cruises. two years later we did the same leg on Princess, personally speaking you get a little more luxury on the princess. However we preferred the holland cruise much much more. and yes it is cheaper.

I do not know why people book everything thru the cruise lines. All you have to do is a little homework and you can get your shore excursions much cheaper.

My two cents.

ZSO

I do not know why people book everything thru the cruise lines. All you have to do is a little homework and you can get your shore excursions much cheaper.

I suggest bag both cruise tours, just book a cruise only and do the rest independently. You have plenty of time to plan and the perfect resource right here.

I started pricing hotels/motels, auto rentals etc for a do-it-yourself land trip, pre-cruise, and it wasn't hard to approach CruiseTour totals if you factored in decent food etc. RV could be an option but they're pretty high as well. The advantage of doing your own of course is just that - you can go at your own pace, not someone else's.

So I'll just keep reading, digging - even bought Milepost :)

Bottom line it comes down to preference and what one can afford. I have been to Alaska on Princess and returning once again this September on Princess. There were other cruise lines that I could have selected that were less expensive. I enjoy Princess, I have not had any problems with Princess therefore they were my pick.

Denise

I started pricing hotels/motels, auto rentals etc for a do-it-yourself land trip, pre-cruise, and it wasn't hard to approach CruiseTour totals if you factored in decent food etc. RV could be an option but they're pretty high as well. The advantage of doing your own of course is just that - you can go at your own pace, not someone else's.

So I'll just keep reading, digging - even bought Milepost :)

An awful lot of pricing comparison depends on WHEN you book and WHERE you book hotels, cars, etc.

I have to go to Alaska at least twice yearly for business. But this year, I am flying into Alaska from the Middle East (I am currently in Kuwait). DH will fly from Arizona and we have friends meeting us, so in addition to my business trip, we are all taking a little vacation (8 days). I booked everything last fall-rental car-$290.00 for all 8 days. Grande Denali Lodge-found it on AsiaRooms of all places for $187.00 per night per room, again booked in October/November. The Grande Denali summer rate king bed view rooms run about $400 per night.

We are spending 3 days driving to Prudhoe and back and there are really no early discounts to be had on that route. AND we had to rent another rental car to drive the Dalton, but we have done the trip before, so knew what to expect.

A couple of nights in Soldotna (fishing for the guys) at a lodge on the Kenai were booked at $130.00 per night per room again last fall. Today's rate is over $200 per night. We will go to Alyeska for fine dining at Seven Glaciers either on our way down to Soldotna or drive from Soldotna one of the nights.

Our friends will drive us back to our condo in Homer, then drop off the car in Anchorage when they leave. We will take the Homer Stage to the airport as we do every year when we leave.

You have to look at all avenues to book various things. Hotels.com, Travelocity-yes-all the usual suspects. But sometimes direct phone calls to hotels offer early bargains. Priceline/Hotwire are also useful for bargain rental cars/sometimes hotels. You really have to do the research but I KNOW for a trip to Prudhoe with 3 days in Denali on a cruise tour, the cost is over $1500pp. We are spending about $200 PER DAY per COUPLE, instead of $200 per day PER PERSON. You have to pay for the food anyway on a cruise tour and most of the "excursions" are rather worthless.

Of all the trips I have made to Alaska, I have NEVER come anywhere close to a cruise tour price.

I have a SB Princess cruise in 2010. They are more expensive for a couple of reasons. First their lodges are nices than HAL, two they have enhanced the SB cruises by replacing College Fjord cruising with Hubbard Glacier cruising. This is a major upgrade. Although I've never been on HAL, I've heard from people who have been on both lines that Princess has nicer ships than HAL.

Your lodge comments simply is not true. At Denali Park, they are similar. In Fairbanks, also similar with Princess using many lodges.

Some may also not find it an enhancement going to Hubbard vs College Fjords. Both worthwhile scenic sailng, with excellent glacier viewing.

Be also aware that the "direct to the wilderness" train may not be the best option for some.

It's a 10 hour train trip, if it goes Whittier/Denali Park, with essentially the best scenery 2 hours within Whittier.

McKinley lodge is out in the middle of nowhere. A 100 mile round trip shuttle bus is necessary for access to the nearest "town"- Talkeetna. Tours are lacking in the overall area, and frankly, was built as an "overflow" area of Denali Park, and monoply away from Anchorage lodging- which Princess doesn't own any.

Be also aware that the "direct to the wilderness" train may not be the best option for some.

It's a 10 hour train trip, if it goes Whittier/Denali Park, with essentially the best scenery 2 hours within Whittier.

McKinley lodge is out in the middle of nowhere. A 100 mile round trip shuttle bus is necessary for access to the nearest "town"- Talkeetna. Tours are lacking in the overall area, and frankly, was built as an "overflow" area of Denali Park, and monoply away from Anchorage lodging- which Princess doesn't own any.

I was at McKinley Lodge in 2002. It was a 15 minute bus ride to Talkeetna. We got off at Talkeetna and shopped and then took the hotel shuttle back to the Lodge.

I know that when I go to Alaska, I do not WANT to be in a city. I WANT to be out in the middle of nowhere. I don't need to do the things I do here at home. If I did, I wouldn't travel at all.

Smiles........Kitty (Nan)

I was at McKinley Lodge in 2002. It was a 15 minute bus ride to Talkeetna. We got off at Talkeetna and shopped and then took the hotel shuttle back to the Lodge.

I know that when I go to Alaska, I do not WANT to be in a city. I WANT to be out in the middle of nowhere. I don't need to do the things I do here at home. If I did, I wouldn't travel at all.

It may have seemed like 15 minutes to you, but it wasn't. The turn-off to Talkeetna is at mile 98.7, and then it is a further 14 miles down the spur road to Talkeetna itself. The McKinley Princess is at mile 133, plus it's a ways (1 mile? not sure) off the highway. So, 50 miles, give or take. You must have been on the bus for at least 45 minutes, probably an hour.

It is wonderful when time passes quickly, isn't it?

Your shuttle must have been flying. It is 50 miles from Talkeetna to the McKinley lodge. and an hour shuttle bus ride.

Your shuttle must have been flying. It is 50 miles from Talkeetna to the McKinley lodge. and an hour shuttle bus ride.

That could be true, but we had a choice to stay awhile in Talkeetna and then shuttle to the Hotel which we did. I loved McKindley. That was my favorite place to stay when we were there.

This time I will not be at McKindley. We will be at Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Dawson, Copper River and Valdez. And I am going to enjoy every minute.

Smiles......Kitty (Nan)

I thought the McKinley Lodge was really special. Our room was the least nice of the three Princess Lodges we stayed at, but the setting, the views, the natural surroundings were amazing. I recall Talkeetna as being about 45 minutes from the lodge -- not 15 minutes, and not an hour but certainly close to an hour. I liked the fact that we got another chance to see Denali from a different angle, particularly since the mountain was not visible at Denali Princess and it was at McKinley.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived