BE Careful -Jewelry Theft on Mariner

CallagDeb

We were recently on a family reunion cruise - 10 of us. Seems when we put our luggage out the night before getting off the RCI staff had a good time stealing jewlery out of some of my families luggage. Now I told them they should have never put valueables in checked luggage and should have carried it off in their hand carried luggage, but just the same...it should not have happened and makes me wonder about leaving jewelry "around" in the cabin. My daughter is missing blue topaz rings, gold earrings and my son purchased a Fossil watch on ship which was also taken. So if you are not catching air I would suggest you LOCK your luggage when putting it outside your door for pick up! My daughter has called RCCL and they said it will take two weeks to process the paperwork. But this can't be the first occurence and I wonder if they have a theft ring going on this ship?????

BE CAREFUL. My children, though grown were innocent and naiive, don't get hurt this way, tell everyone in your party about this. The jewelry had tremendous senitimental value which can never be replaced.

They are very upset and it really put a damper on a wonderful experience, I told them it is just "things" and think of the good memories we made, but just the same they are upset.

You know the first question will be :

How do you know it was employees?????? Could have been some pax lurking in the hallways!! (kids,drunks,etc...)

Not saying it couldnt be employees but with cameras ALL over the place,I would think they have too much to lose by stealing outta pax luggage!!

We were recently on a family reunion cruise - 10 of us. Seems when we put our luggage out the night before getting off the RCI staff had a good time stealing jewlery out of some of my families luggage. Now I told them they should have never put valueables in checked luggage and should have carried it off in their hand carried luggage, but just the same...it should not have happened and makes me wonder about leaving jewelry "around" in the cabin. My daughter is missing blue topaz rings, gold earrings and my son purchased a Fossil watch on ship which was also taken. So if you are not catching air I would suggest you LOCK your luggage when putting it outside your door for pick up! My daughter has called RCCL and they said it will take two weeks to process the paperwork. But this can't be the first occurence and I wonder if they have a theft ring going on this ship?????

BE CAREFUL. My children, though grown were innocent and naiive, don't get hurt this way, tell everyone in your party about this. The jewelry had tremendous senitimental value which can never be replaced.

They are very upset and it really put a damper on a wonderful experience, I told them it is just "things" and think of the good memories we made, but just the same they are upset.

You shouldn't leave it around your cabin either that is what the safe or a safety deposit box are for. I treat the cabin as I would a hotel room. I would rather be safe(no pun intended) than sorry. I am sorry for you loss but it could just as easily have been a passenger. Sometimes people watch what you wear and target you for that. I leave the Hope diamoind at home(I hope its there it never seems to appear)

How do you know it was employees?????? Could have been some pax lurking in the hallways!! (kids,drunks,etc...)
I agree. But, how would it be any easier for a passenger to steal?

If they opened it in the hallway it would certainly look suspicious. The other option is to take it to thier room and rummage through the contents. Then it would have to be set back out in a hallway.

When did you notice the missing items? We have never checked the contents of our luggage when we pick it up on the pier.

Charlie

Valuables should always be locked up. when did you notice they where missing when you got home. Luggage in the hallway should always be locked. Did you fly maybe it was taken at the airport. They should have put it in their carry on. I have never had any thing stolen from my room even if I left something out.

I've traveled quite a bit including 15 cruises. I have always found the housekeeping staffs in hotels to take great pride in their position of trust.

The same applies to cabin stewards on cruiseships. I'm sure there is an occaisional dishonest person that gets a job in a hotel or on a ship. The ship would soon learn of a steward stealing from the cabin as reports come to the staff's attention and he would loose his/her job. I have rarely used the safe in the cabin, That isn't wise but have never lost a thing. As for a guest going through your luggage in the hall; why would that be suspicious? Very common to go into the hall to add something to a suitcase as an after-thought. How would anyone know that the guest and luggage aren't matched? How would the crew know which bags to go into? They as well as other travelers certainly assume that most thinking people will carry jewelry and other valuables in their carryons.

CallagDeb, I think you jumped the gun on this one. How do you know it was RCCI staff. I'm Sorry for the loss of the items, especially the ones with sentimental value, but , are your family members that suffered the loss wanting RCCI to compensate them for the loss, when, after all it was your family members own negligence that lead to their loss?? You cannot blame RCCI in any way for this loss, you can only hope that the ones that lost items have learned a valuable lesson. YOU DID WARN THEM, BY THE WAY.

I knew of a similar situation a few years back, where a huge stink was raised over the crew "stealing" from luggage. It turned out that it was one of the family members who had taken the items and who had tried to pawn them back at home for some extra recreational drug money.

Don't forget the fascinating case of Garfield and the missing $260 from the wallet in the middle of the night in the cabin. Or my favorite story about the wallets left in the trunk. Ahh... memories.

Needless to say I think it is extremely foolish to ever pack any valueables inside a suitcase, they are completely available for theft in the hall with kids, other passengers, crew, then the dock handlers, then the airlines.... Nobody to blame but themselves, IMHO.

jc

I work in the service industry ( similar to a hotel) and it's always "housekeeping" that is the first to be blamed.

The reality is, there are SO many people on a cruise ship ( crew and passengers) that it is virtually impossible to lay blame on items missing from cases "outside" the cabin.

My first cruise is in February and I intend to keep any and all valuables locked up and/or on me ( in the case of jewellery)......makes sense doesn't it?

For my birthday, DH gave me a hard-sided "travel" jewelry box about 5" x 8" to put my jewelry in when we travel. Hello - I told him nicely to return it. Any jewelry I travel with goes in a small ziplock bag that fits securely in my purse which is either strapped across my body or in the safe. And I take only the bare minimum. Anything else can stay home! Even with insurance, why invite problems?

I, too, have difficulty believing the staff had anything to do with this theft - we've had room stewards pick up loose change that has fallen from DH's pockets and neatly place it on the bedside tables, knowing full well we would never, ever miss it.

If the luggage was left unlocked in the hallway how do you know it was the crew. The theft could have been done by another passenger. It could have been done by someone at the airport on either end as well.

There was a thread a while back about some people who had their vaulables stolen from a rental car in Aruba. They admitted they had left the stuff in plain view on the back seat because they thought it would be safe. The bottom line is that there is no real paradise and there is crime even in the safest of places. No matter where you are you need to take adequate precautions to protect yourselves and your valuables. Leaving jewelry in an unlocked suitcase was just a bad idea.

Don't forget the fascinating case of Garfield and the missing $260 from the wallet in the middle of the night in the cabin. Or my favorite story about the wallets left in the trunk. Ahh... memories.

Needless to say I think it is extremely foolish to ever pack any valueables inside a suitcase, they are completely available for theft in the hall with kids, other passengers, crew, then the dock handlers, then the airlines.... Nobody to blame but themselves, IMHO.

jc

ROFLMAO - Thanks for the memories jc.

Maybe the family of the OP should have been more prudent in their packing, but the blame has to lay with the person who opened the luggage and took the valuables. We should not be making excuses for a thief.

Ken, agreed there is no excuse for being a thief. Of course, my daddy always said that ignorance (of right/wrong) is no excuse either. The blame begins with the person who knowingly put valuables in unlocked luggage out of their sight.

Never put valuables in your checked luggage. It is unfortunate your children had to learn this lesson the hard way, but what was done is done. Don't count on the cruiseline/airline to give you replacement value, you may be disappointed. If you have homeowners policy, they may cover part of the loss, but remember, you may get increased premiums and points against your policy, they could cancel you. So, don't make the claim unless the $$ value is quite high.

I would also be surprised to find out is was ship's staff, they are far too busy to be looking through luggage. They also have too much at stake losing their job and being put off the ship. We have even left cash (very small amounts) out around our stateroom and the cabin attendant will just straighten it out while dusting. A more likely suspect would have to be a dock worker, or an airline employee, perhaps a passenger. Opportunity isn't great for the pax or ships crew, too much of a chance of getting caught.

I think the general consensus is, you are pretty much out of luck, you cannot blame anyone but yourselves and it is unfortunate that we have to suffer losses sometimes. I don't think too many here will believe there is a "theft ring" going on aboard your cruise ship.

Maybe the family of the OP should have been more prudent in their packing, but the blame has to lay with the person who opened the luggage and took the valuables. We should not be making excuses for a thief.

If we catch this thief or thieves, I say hang em.... in the meantime we don't even "know" a crime was committed, we do know the concept of packing valueable items in your unlocked suitcases in the hall is a bad one! So I say we deal with the facts or the concepts that we can agree do exist.;)

jc

jc - nice to see you back, you were missed ;)

As for the OP, this is tried and true for many of us old timers which you have unfortunately learned the hard way. Never leave anything valuable in the bags in the hall. Not ever...never!

FC, nice to see you too!!!! email me sometime!

jc

I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble, the suitcase were handed to the RCI folks, the "kids" had to run up to the cabin and give them to them (such party animals my youngins)....and the items were taken from two separate suitcases. And yes I know they made a mistake, as I said they are young, trusting, and naiive. I just want to make sure everyone knows it is possible if you let your guard down. They certainly learned the hard way.

Oh and there was NO air involved....they live 15 minutes away from the terminal. And no it was not family members. There were two separate "kids" stolen" from. And I doubt if it was rifled in the hallway, probably downstairs waiting to unload. And yes I have always trusted the housekeeper staff too, heck you would know for sure then who did it.

Archived