Costa Fortuna or Celebrity Solstice

mompolo

Can anyone tell me if the Costa Fortuna would compare to the Celebrity Solstice??

My DH just found an awesome deal for a cruise on the Fortuna (our original plan is to cruise on the Solstice).

We don't know anything about Costa and I figured my cc friends could help me out -

Thanks!!

First, I think it makes a difference where the itinerary goes. In Europe or the Mediterranean, Costa because of its long- established base there, has a large number of Italian passengers. Not that it is bad, but it is then the prime language on board. Costa also tends to short time in ports - certainly shorter than X. Costa the food is heavily Italian - lots of pasta and sauces, but all very good. Also in Europe and the Med, dining hours on Costa are somewhat later, in accordance with Italian custom. We tried Costa both in Europe and the Caribbean, and found the differences quite marked:)

They are very different cruise lines. Some would say that Costa is a bargain cruise line. My cousins did a Costa cruise in the Med last year and said they were greatly, greatly disappointed and said they regretted they didn't listen to me when I told them that Costa would be a disappointment. Actually, they also said they wouldn't cruise Costa again. They've been on RCI, Cunard and Celebrity and said the food and service was really poor and the cabins very tiny. The constant announcements in 5 different languages was troublesome. So unless you go with the expectation that it's not going to be anywhere near Celebrity, that you really like Italian food, more smoking everywhere and loads of announcements, then go for it.

Thanks so much for your input -

The cruise is a caribbean one - both cruises have pretty much the same itinerary.

We had been under the impression that Costa was a more upscale cruiseline than Celebrity - so I'm glad to hear your impressions.

We sailed on the Fortuna in December 2007 to the Eastern Caribbean. The Fortuna is older than the Solstice and maybe not as fancy. We had a standard balcony and found it was much bigger than what we've experienced on other lines.

If money is no object I would definitely go on the Solstice.... however, since we don't have that luxury I would go on the Fortuna again anytime.

More questions??? Just ask...

I would definitely take the Solstice-

we have heard the same reasons as mentioned above...

For an Italian oriented cruise line we might try MSC someday. But I know very little about them other than their new ship looks nice

After talking with several passengers on Costa a couple years ago, I plan on staying away from Costa. They thought it was very budget and service was less than friendly. Employees were not allowed to make small talk with passengers. I enjoy chatting with the staff and quality of service is very important.

I don't know if this was just their opinion or fact, but put that together with Costa being a step below Carnival and I did not enjoy my Carnival cruise. I'll pass

I hope you posted this on the Costa board as well.

No matter which cruise you go on, have a great time.

Yes, please post this on the Costa board. It doesn't get nearly the traffic that you get on this board so you might have to be a little more patient.

We have sailed on Celebrity, Costa, Princess, RCI, and NCL and I don't think Costa was below any of those. We have greatly enjoyed our cruises on Costa. I think if you look more clearly at alot of the posts most of bad reviews are hearsay not direct experience and it is what you make of it. Sailing on Costa is NOT the same as sailing on Celebrity, Princess or RCI, but we had excellent service and food every time we've sailed with them.

If you go into it with a bad attitude :mad:..... don't bother to go.... if you are willing to give them a try ;) you may love it and even learn a little Italian, find you like octopus, play boccee or some other new experience...:)

I don't like to rate one cruiseline above or below another. When you are talking about mass market lines they all have approx the same amount of money to spend, but spend it in different ways. Costa does everything in 5 languages, and I mean everything from announcements to show introductions to bingo. It gets old very quickly. Food is middle american version of southern Italian food. If you are used to really good southern Italian food in large metropolitan areas you will be disappointed. Because of the international passenger list entertainment is mostly visual so it can be understood by all passengers. That said, I've been on 2 Costa cruises. I've never had a bad cruise but Costa is not one of my favorites.

I hardly can imagine a " bad" cruise ( well if nothing serious healthywise etc. happens) . I cruised Costa in Europe ( Costa Mediterranea) . Back then i only cruised RCI and X. So the whole Costa experience was not that great. Food/ People/ TO MUCH PASSENGERS

( the same size of X- ship as the M- Class ships load aprox. 600 passenger less then Costa) Well the ship was clean the ship was nice, but nothing to compare with style and luxury of the X- Ships. So IMO the Solstice would win hands down!

Well I agree, you will find much more postive thoughts about Costa at the Costa Board- anyay have a great cruise!

Michael

I been on Costa Fortuna twice and enjoyed them both.It's definitely different experience then x.Good food,good entertainment,beautiful ship ,mixture of international passengers.If you go with an open mind and you are not afraid to try something different i am sure you'll have a great time.

Archived