Did We Make A Mistake, Quest Sky Suite 8053

OneMoreTime

We booked our first Azamara cruise, 23 January 2010, Southeast Asia. We booked a sky suite, Cabin 8053. I didn't realize at the time that it was located directly below the pool area. We're concerned there will be a lot of noise due to the location. Appreciate feedback from anyone who has stayed in a SS close to 8053.

I have seen this topic hotly debated on Princess and Oceania threads, my understanding is that some people have had moderate problems and some have had none. If I recall correctly, its primarily a problem on sea days and in warmer climates.

We had 8044, which is portside. We were directly under the heavy lounge furniture that's just aft of the pool. We could hear it being moved every morning, but it wasn't a big deal. We didn't hear normal walking noises, just lots of stomping (a/k/a dancing) during the New Year's Eve Party (we were there for awhile but went to bed early). Also no biggie. I wouldn't pick that particular cabin again, though - I'd go a bit further aft to about 8050, which is under a carpeted floor.

I think that you will be directly under the pool grill, not the actual pool deck. There are chairs and tables, but it's only open mid-day to early evening, so I don't think there will be a lot of noise from above when you're trying to sleep at night. During the day you might hear carts rolling or furniture being adjusted.

If you are concerned about it, you can always try to change your cabin. 8061, 8069 an 8071 are still available. Being farther back will put you under the carpeting seating area of Windows. It looks like the portside cabins are all sold out already.

We were on Journey in 8042 and heard some of the furniture being moved on port side during the dawn-time deck washing. Other than that the issue we had with that cabin is during the "Caribbean Pool Party when the crowd was stomping their feet. The music wasn't bad, it was just the stillettto heels hitting the deck 'til midnight. On other nights the band/crowd were not that loud nor lengthy.

So we've taken 8050 this time, a bit more midship. Hopefully we won't hear the bulkhead door on Deck 9 that leads from the elevator alcove to the pool area slamming this time. Maybe they have added or fixed the door closer.

Starboard side you'll be under the Pool Grill, so you would probably hear some of that furniture being moved for cleaning and during eating times.

Enjoy!

Cabo

As much as I liked our Sky Suite, when the price was right on Quest, we downgraded to a balcony cabin ($1799pp vs. 4499pp was too big a difference for us on a cruise with only 2 sea days) and I confess that I enjoyed our 2A every bit as much as the SS, more in some instances. We had an amazing butler/cabin steward, the location two doors from the elevators was incredibly convenient and there was no noise at all from above. My biggest fear was that we'd trip over each other, but with a little choreography ("don't stand at the foot of the bed so I can't get by!":p) we did fine. On a cruise with a lot of sea days (which we had when we were in the SS), the extra space to sprawl was worth the occasional thumping from above.:)

But if you're super-sensitive to noise from above, I might suggest a downgrade in category. Just a thought...

• 4 weeks later...

There is not much pool activity on these ships. Most people are old...and there are very few kids. However, if you like to sleep late, the moving of furniture may wake you up. We had a suite on a Celebrity ship just below the pool deck. It was only a problem when they had a late night pool party....we like to go to sleep early.

• 8 months later...
Yesterday was the final payment deadline on our cruise, and when I checked this morning, 8056 had opened up so I made the move forward a few cabins.Thanks for the input!

we had the penthouse suite right under the outside patio of windows cafe.

the movement of the metal chairs against the wood would jolt us out of bed in the morning, then all day long. I am not a complainer , nor am i exagerating on the level of noise in the suites on the back of the boat on the 8th level.

I've heard others say the suites under the cafe were not that bad for noise, but they must've grown up in a helicopter.

I still am amazed that Azamara hasn't come up with a solution for hard rubber bottom chairs scraping against cedar decks.

The occasional cleaning of deck would've been no big deal, but to have the chairs scrapping on the cafe floor as people took 3-4 trips to the buffet line for hours on end exhausted me.

I guess this is one of those "your mileage may vary" issues. We just returned from the May 29 sailing of the Quest, in Sky Suite 8050. Since our adult children were in a Verandah stateroom, it was easy to compare the two rooms. The suite was ideal for us, but I will say that many mornings we could hear furniture being moved, and sometimes the same was true on afternoons when they were setting up outdoor buffets. It certainly wasn't a deal breaker for us, but if you're a light sleeper and like to sleep late or get to bed early, it's one factor to consider. FWIW, we'd certainly take the same room on another cruise.

when we booked our first cruise our TA advised us to always book a cabin between floors of cabin. that way little noise from above or below. We don't always follow that advise....our HAL Volendam cruise was right under the pool deck...never heard a peep from above. and our AZ cabin was over aft public areas...some vibration at times from the engines (and our friends near the aft reported lots of vibrations esp during speed changes (docking, maneuvering etc). (but they booked the same cabin again on purpose).

have a great time

Just returned from Quest to Istanbul in 8063. There was a little scraping of furniture at end of the night as they prepared to wash the deck in the AM. This is not the Windows furniture but the deck chairs and furniture. I don't recall hearing it moved back in the AM but the latest I ever slept was 7:30. In any case it was not a big deal.

As mentioned earlier being below the pool is not an issue. It really is an adult dipping pool not a scene. There were 2 poolside buffets that required the moving of furniture. I would not hesitate to stay in the 8063 vicinity again. I loved the location towards the aft of the ship. I woke up before my wife and would just slip out the door, go a few steps up the hall, up one flight of stairs, and was in front of the Windows 24 hour coffee machine! Then I would take my coffee out to the pool deck or deck 10 or 11 and enjoy the new day's sights.

• 1 month later...
we had the penthouse suite right under the outside patio of windows cafe.

the movement of the metal chairs against the wood would jolt us out of bed in the morning, then all day long. I am not a complainer , nor am i exagerating on the level of noise in the suites on the back of the boat on the 8th level.

I've heard others say the suites under the cafe were not that bad for noise, but they must've grown up in a helicopter.

I still am amazed that Azamara hasn't come up with a solution for hard rubber bottom chairs scraping against cedar decks.

The occasional cleaning of deck would've been no big deal, but to have the chairs scrapping on the cafe floor as people took 3-4 trips to the buffet line for hours on end exhausted me.

Wow, this is sobering. I've reserved a Deck 8 suite on Journey (have 48 hrs to pay) and now I wish there were a central place for intelligence such as this. Is there? I'm a light sleeper and I don't like to get up too early. Would I be better off with a Deck 7 verandah cabin?

Wow, this is sobering. I've reserved a Deck 8 suite on Journey (have 48 hrs to pay) and now I wish there were a central place for intelligence such as this. Is there? I'm a light sleeper and I don't like to get up too early. Would I be better off with a Deck 7 verandah cabin?

I am a very light sleeper and had 8091 for a 24 night cruise. It was no problem at all. We loved it. We booked the same suite for our next Azamara cruise without hesitation. Unless you are the type of person who actively looks for problems to complain about, you are unlikely to have any problem at all.

Sue

Archived