Eurodam or Westerdam?

csaeroach

We are looking at booking a cruise to be on the ship for Christmas, and having never sailed Holland America before they are next on our list to try, so looking at this cruise line. We are undecided between the Eurodam and Westerdam. Just wondering from people who may have cruises these ships before, which one would you choose? I understand the Eurodam is newer, but ship's age does not mean a whole lot to us, we are just looking for a great cruising experience. The Itinerary is not a big deal to us either for this trip, as we have been to most ports on both itineraries, just looking for a nice relaxing Christmas somewhere warmer then Canada.....

thanks for your help!

We have sailed on both ships -- and they do have their differences.

Since you mentioned that itinerary is not important -- JMO --I would chose the Eurodam which has the Silk Den for cocktails and the Tamarind speciality restaurant -- loved them!! At the present time no other ship has these restaurants. Tamarind costs $15 per person.

The Eurodam also has the Itialian speciality restaurant -- FREE.

The Eurodam has 200 more people in not much more public space, so it does feel more crowded, paricularly in the Lido. The dining room is also more cramped because an extra two seats have been squeezed in at many tables. OTOH, it does have the excellent Silk Den lounge and Tamarind restaurant, both of which we liked very much.

It would be a tough call for me right now! :)

Tamarind was wonderful, but not enough to get us back on Eurodam. Just too big/crowded for us.

Since itinerary is more important than the ship, I suggest looking at the R and S class ships sailing at the same time. Cozier and more elegant.

Cheers

Mark

I have cruised aboard both the Eurodam and the Westerdam. Both ships are fairly similar. I would probably choose the Eurodam because it is newer and has additional dining options. Although the Eurodam holds more passengers, I did not notice a problem with crowding. I am sailing aboard the Zuiderdam (yet another similar ship) to the Panama Canal this December.

Chuck

Sailed on The Eurodam this past June-10 Day Baltic Sea Gems. Found the ship, the food, the staff, and the fellow passengers to be great. Shows are only fair compared to Carnival and NCL, but that was the only negative we could come up with although we are not hard to please. If you don't want a balcony(probably will in the Caribbean) we had a forward spa cabin(10004) that was really just great, since we were in a cooler climate. The room was huge and the forward facing window as approx. 6' x 4'. Have a great trip regardless of which ship you pick.

We had a similar choice to make for our cruise in October. Both the Westerdam and Eurodam have sailings the week of our anniversary. We have sailed on the Westerdam and thought it wonderful. We chose the Eurodam as we had not sailed on it. I won't know for sure if we like one over the other until we finish the cruise on the Eurodam.

As a few others have said, I doubt you will go wrong with either ship.

We have sailed the Westerdam twice and the Eurodam twice. If the itinerary is not a factor, I personally would probably choose the Westerdam. Pros for the Eurodam are the Tamarind and the fact that the ship is newer. For level of service and just a bit more room (ie. Lido), my nod goes to the Westerdam.

Archived