Vancouver - Hotel suggestions?

Peggy Sue

We will be arriving in Vancouver 5/27 for 1 night before sailing 5/28. Any good hotel suggestions near the port?

We finally found a decent air this week that didn't take us all over kingdom come..anyone else have problems booking air to Vancouver? We're flying from Boston and most wanted to take us to Atlanta or LA .. Why??? We finally found some good connections with United through Chicago. One carrier went to Salt Lake, which wasn't bad, but then remainder of the trip was on a turbo prop .. not my cup of tea! Fares were quite expensive too. Finally found $380. from United .. Is this a typical fare? Up until yesterday, I could only find fares between 500 - 700. I tried Air Canada out of Monteral too, as we're taking my dad who lives in Northern VT and could have easily driven up to Monteral, but even after the conversion to US $$'s flights were over 600 round trip. I was amazed our US to Canadian exchange has now dropped to just slightly above 20%!

Thanks for your help!!

Peggy Sue

As for Hotels there are a few downtown near the Cruise Ship port. Not sure what you are looking for but here are a few (nicer quality ones)

1) Hyatt

2) Four Seasons (about $129 CDN, I have stayed there when I had business downtown) I live in the suburbs!

3) Hotel Vancouver

4) Pan Pacific, the actual hotel the cruise leaves from I think it is more expensive though.

There is also a place called Crowne something which I think is cheaper and is nice as well.

Id start with the Hyatt, I think by reading the VANCOUVER AREA forums that is the popular place. Only about 3-4 blocks away

We go up there quite a bit for weekends (we live north of Seattle) and caught our Alaska cruises from there.

There are two main ones right at the cruise terminal - the Pan Pacific (http://vancouver.panpacific.com/) and the Fairmont Waterfront (http://www.fairmont.com/waterfront/) . We've stayed at both and you won't be dissapointed with either one. Both are high quality places. If we had to choose again, we'd choose the Fairmont Waterfront. The Pan Pacific is the one right on the pier with the big sail-like structures, but it was just a bit too convention oriented for us, where the Fairmont was cozy and nice (but still a high-rise with great views of the harbor and the ships). They're right across the street from each other. Both are within walking distance to Gastown with its nightlife and restaurants.

We love the Westin Bayshore for our getaways (love those Heavenly Beds!) but it's not at the cruise port, it's more towards Stanley Park. http://www.westinbayshore.com/

There is also a place called Crowne something which I think is cheaper and is nice as well.

There is a Crowne Plaza on Georgia Street - about $100 - $150 US on average, I think.

I forgot about Pan Pacific - I'd check that out too!

There is a Crowne Plaza on Georgia Street - about $100 - $150 US on average, I think.

!

Thats it! If it is that much I wouldnt go there, seems to be on the high side. I wouldnt have thought that hotel was that much. The Fairmont is nice too!!

The hotels near the piers that have been mentioned so far are 3 and 4 star hotels. If you are looking for something cheaper, there are many tourism web sites that list a wide variety of prices. Here's one I used last year: http://www.hellobc.com. Click on Vancouver and then accommodations. There are various ways to look for a hotel. Be sure to use the map so that you have an idea where the hotel is located. Robeson Street and the West End are nice areas which we found preferable to the Gastown area.

Phil

Priceline is the way to go in Vancouver, consistant excellent awards. You need the downtown location. Don't consider anywhere else- this area is ideal. As for air- you are probably on a code share with Air Canada from Chicago to Vancouver??? Air can be all over the map- you snagged a good fare, add cab of about $30ca. Don't go with the ship shuttles.

I'll add another suggestion. I stayed at a downtown hotel further away from the cruise terminal. The Hampton Inn on Robson St. to be exact. I arranged with Grayline Tours to pick me up at the hotel the morning of the cruise. They forwarded cruise passengers' luggage to the ship and then took us on a 3-hr. tour of Vancouver. Nice if you've never been there. Dropped us off at Canada Place and then we boarded the ship.

The pick-up/tour was $30.

Roz

Wow! thanks for all the great replys!! Lots of options!!!

roz .. Great suggestion...never thought about adding a tour that morning to see Vancouver. We've never been there.

budget Queen - the flights out to Vancouver are all United. We are on Air Canada for the flight back from Vancouver to Chicago. Interesting, when booking on line, there isn't any option for booking your seats on the AC leg. I call United and found AC had assigned our seats. Also interesting that the flights we booked didn't have that many remaining seats. Do cruise lines hold blocks of seats on these flights to get passengers who booked air to Vancouver? HAL wanted $600. per person for air from Boston. We really hate connections and long lay overs, so we like to book our own flights for convenience sake.

Thanks again everyone!!

We've stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront twice-excellent facility with great waffles for breakfast. They will transfer your luggage to the pier for you, directly across the street from Canada Place (where HAL ships dock). I'm sure there are a host of other nice hotels in the vicinity, too.

We've stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront twice-excellent facility with great waffles for breakfast. They will transfer your luggage to the pier for you, directly across the street from Canada Place (where HAL ships dock). I'm sure there are a host of other nice hotels in the vicinity, too.

We've stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront 2 times, and have been upgraded both times. Additionally, they allowed us to check in at 8:30 am the day of disembarkation, despite a normal checkin time of 2 or 3pm. We have found the hotel to be top notch and would highly recommend it!!:cool:

We are booked on the Volendam 5/11. I made reservations via Priceline for 5/10. I submitted a bid of $50 USD for a 4 Star Deluxe hotel in the Vancouver area of the city. This area includes hotels in the vicinity of Canada Place. The bid was accepted by Hyatt. We have stayed at the Hyatt pre-cruise several times and I am quite satisfied with the hotel received for the price offered.

If you are interested in bidding for a hotel in Vancouver via Priceline, go to http://www.biddingfortravel.com for more information.

Bellebaby

If you can possibly do it, come a day or two early and spend some time in Vancouver and the charming city of Victoria on Vancouver Island which is a short ferry ride away.

Vancouver like the other west coast cities of Seattle, San Franicsco and San Diego (did I miss one?)is too nice just to see quickly. I think it is a mistake to fly in one day and start the cruise the next.

You might want to do a SEARCH on Vancouver on this HAL site as hotels and sightseeing etc was covered not too long ago. Try: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=89517

Vancouver like the other west coast cities of Seattle, San Franicsco and San Diego (did I miss one?)is too nice just to see quickly. I think it is a mistake to fly in one day and start the cruise the next.

Yep. Portland!:eek: :cool:

Wow! thanks for all the great replys!! Lots of options!!!

Do cruise lines hold blocks of seats on these flights to get passengers who booked air to Vancouver? HAL wanted $600. per person for air from Boston. We really hate connections and long lay overs, so we like to book our own flights for convenience sake.

Thanks again everyone!!

This is a SIGNIFICANT source of revenue for the cruise lines. Yes and no, cruiselines usually block their space the left overs 60 days in advance. They buy the cheapest seats and sell them for the highest prices. :)

For a change of pace how about a B&B? We stayed at the Amber Guest House in June 2002. Phone 604-682-2900. They have a web site.

Good location, rooms are very nice, quiet neighborhood close to everything. Location is 113 S. Barchlay Ave. Richard, the owner is very friendly and helpful with suggestions as to what to do and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, as for you mentioning Priceline bids-I have tried this for 5/2/05-5/04/05 and have been unsuccessful up to a $72 bid...argh! I am using the free re-bids much to no avail. I have been waiting the 72 hour period and trying again. Could waiting more than 72 hours be the answer? Any help much appreciated :)

Lori

Hi, as for you mentioning Priceline bids-I have tried this for 5/2/05-5/04/05 and have been unsuccessful up to a $72 bid...argh! I am using the free re-bids much to no avail. I have been waiting the 72 hour period and trying again. Could waiting more than 72 hours be the answer? Any help much appreciated :)

Lori

I would make a back-up reservation that could be cancelled in the event your Priceline bidding does not work. Then, I would keep re-bidding every 72 hours. Hopefully your bid will be accepted closer to the actual date.

Good luck.

Bumping for Renorita... hope this helps. :)

Thanks ekerr! :) Actually I had tried several times to initiate this thread on the Celebrity site since we our cruising out of Vancouver on the Infinity, and was having trouble, so moved it to HAL. Then wouldn't you know, after getting it on HAL, it finally shows up on the Celebrity site, Oh well, I have been getting some great imput, so thanks everyone! :) Going to tackle the Priceline thing, though I didn't have much luck a couple of years ago when trying to schedule a airline reservation.

Peggy Sue, You can check out the Celebrity site also for more suggestions. The thread in on the first page (at least right now) ;)

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? We have reserved it for a night in May. I think it's near Pikes Mkt..We got it for around $120. I am wondering if this is a decent price or if I might just do better with a Priceline bid? Any help appreciated :)

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? We have reserved it for a night in May. I think it's near Pikes Mkt..We got it for around $120. I am wondering if this is a decent price or if I might just do better with a Priceline bid? Any help appreciated :)

Is the Pioneer Square Best Western in Vancouver or Seattle?

Archived