Panama Canal west to east transit

Larrydano

Sharon and I are planning a west to east panama canal transit on the Island Princess late February 2010-Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale.

Should we book a port or starboard side stateroom for a canal transit or does it matter? I would like to book an AA mini suite on the middle bump on Baja deck if available. Any suggestions and or comments would be great.

Larry

Sharon and I are planning a west to east panama canal transit on the Island Princess late February 2010-Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale.

Should we book a port or starboard side stateroom for a canal transit or does it matter? I would like to book an AA mini suite on the middle bump on Baja deck if available. Any suggestions and or comments would be great.

Larry

If you are going Pacific to Caribbean, you are actually going east to west through the canal.;)

In my opinion, it would not matter port or starboard as there are interesting sights on both sides. We were up on deck walking around front to back the whole time, so the balcony side for us did not really matter. Then again, we were in a bunk-bed M5 on QE2, perhaps explaining why we stayed on deck the whole time!:eek:

We're leaving this September for our 3rd full transit. We again booked a starboard side cabin, our preference. Even tho we do a lot of walking of the ship while going thru the canal, when we do hit the cabin, to us, the starboard side, regardless of the lock you're in, has the best views. We did book the port side when we did east to west.

Have fun, this is our favorite voyage.

the Panama Canal is one day of your cruise. And there is so much to see that cannot be seen from your balcony, such as straight ahead. what's on the other side...Youn will spend more time out of it than in it, racing around on deck...EM

If you are going Pacific to Caribbean, you are actually going east to west through the canal.;)

In my opinion, it would not matter port or starboard as there are interesting sights on both sides. We were up on deck walking around front to back the whole time, so the balcony side for us did not really matter. Then again, we were in a bunk-bed M5 on QE2, perhaps explaining why we stayed on deck the whole time!:eek:

The Pacific to the Caribbean is east to west?? FLL is east of ACA. The OP is correct. I don't think it matters really to ans. the OP's ?. We did this cruise on the Island last Feb. My advice would be to be at different areas on the ship for different views. Do try to be at the bow during at least one time in the locks. Thats pretty neat.

Let me simplify my last post -

Pacific to Atlantic, right side facing the pointy end.

Atlantic to Pacific, left side facing the pointy end.

You can substitute Caribbean for Atlantic.

Do walk all over this ship.

My wife grew up in Panama, and, indeed, if you live in Panama City, at the Pacific entrance to the canal, you see the sun rise every morning over the Pacific and set to your west over the Canal (as it heads for the Atlantic).

Amazing how that wiggle in the Isthmus of Panama reorients everything.

Bill

PS: People from Panama do talk about transiting the canal from west to east (from the Pacific to the Atlantic) when, in fact, they will be going from east to west. Confusing perhaps, but not as confusing as nodding "yes" in Bulgaria and finding out that there it means "no"!!!

My wife grew up in Panama, and, indeed, if you live in Panama City, at the Pacific entrance to the canal, you see the sun rise every morning over the Pacific and set to your west over the Canal (as it heads for the Atlantic).

Bill

PS: People from Panama do talk about transiting the canal from west to east (from the Pacific to the Atlantic) when, in fact, they will be going from east to west. Confusing perhaps, but not as confusing as nodding "yes" in Bulgaria and finding out that there it means "no"!!!

Or the apparent neg. nod of the head in India which means a yes. :)

The Pacific to the Caribbean is east to west?? FLL is east of ACA. The OP is correct.

No, transiting the Canal is East to West (when from Pacific to Caribbean). Well, to be completely accurate, I should have responsed from south east to north west. Look at a map. Panama City the only capital city where the sun RISES over the Pacific. But you are correct, FLL is east of ACA.

Oh, I see all my points have been made for me. Thanks folks!

Bill

If you want to do it up right, you can see the sun rise in Panama City and then in the afternoon drive to Cristobal/Colon and see it set in the Atlantic, (actually the Caribbean.) Can't do that anywhere else!

Don't pick your stateroom based on the Canal. Canal Day you want to be all over the ship . . . on the bow entering into the locks, when you are in the locks at the bow, stern, promenade deck . . . the perspective is different and interesting from every spot on the ship! Your passage will be much more interesting if you do some reading in advance . . . McCullough's book is always suggested, but there are others as well. I particularly like PANAMA FEVER http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/richards-must-read-travel-books/ . It's a little more "readable."

You might find my Panama Cruise page helpful as well http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/canal-cruise/ Get up early and don't miss a thing. It is a magical time on the foredeck when you are picking up the pilot, and it's still dark . . . and then you see the sun coming up!

Regards, Richard

PS - Oh yes, check out the official Panama Canal site . . . lots of info including info on the expansion project. http://www.pancanal.com

No, transiting the Canal is East to West (when from Pacific to Caribbean). Well, to be completely accurate, I should have responsed from south east to north west. Look at a map. Panama City the only capital city where the sun RISES over the Pacific. But you are correct, FLL is east of ACA.

Oh, I see all my points have been made for me. Thanks folks!

Actually and like the OP I was referring to the overall cruise and not just the transit thru the canal. ;) Interesting bits of info too. Thanks! Larry :)

Archived