Just returned -12nt med cruise-any questions??

jlijny

Can you post the contact info or website for Paul? Thank you!

I think you would have a great day with Jim (and probably his father, Paul). Jim took us for a full day in Athens on Aug. 1 and did a great job. And when I left my cell phone in their car, they found it and mailed it back to me at no charge!

I think you would have a great day with Jim (and probably his father, Paul). Jim took us for a full day in Athens on Aug. 1 and did a great job. And when I left my cell phone in their car, they found it and mailed it back to me at no charge!

What places did you see and what did it cost you? Thanks

No. (BTW, we are cruising Venice to Barcelona at the end of April 2010.)

CintiPam - Can I ask which cruise you are taking? I've been looking for a Barcelona-Venice or vice versa for the end of April and am coming up short. Thanks!

Carrie

CintiPam - Can I ask which cruise you are taking? I've been looking for a Barcelona-Venice or vice versa for the end of April and am coming up short. Thanks!

Carrie

Hi, Carrie, we are on Oceania's Regatta, April 28, Venice to Barcelona. This will be our third-ever cruise, the first two in the past year (last September, Istanbul to Athens, and just in June, Athens to Rome). We simply love this cruise line - 684 passengers max, great food, beds and service, and superb itineraries.

Pam

What cruise lines do a intensive cruise to Greece? I think I heard mentioned Celebrity and Oceania. I haven't sailed either before and would be interested in hearing about others. I "googled" cruise to Greece and no major cruise lines popped up in the search. Italy would be great, Barcelona o.k., Dubrovnik is not really appealing to me. Greece is #1 since I have never been there. Suggestions?

What cruise lines do a intensive cruise to Greece? I think I heard mentioned Celebrity and Oceania. I haven't sailed either before and would be interested in hearing about others. I "googled" cruise to Greece and no major cruise lines popped up in the search. Italy would be great, Barcelona o.k., Dubrovnik is not really appealing to me. Greece is #1 since I have never been there. Suggestions?

Princess has a "Greek Isles" itinerary: 12 days, sails between Venice and Rome, and includes stops in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Corfu, and Katakolon in Greece, as well as Kusadasi (Ephesus) in Turkey and Split or Dubrovnik (depending on the cruise) in Croatia. I'm taking it next summer.

Our first-ever cruise last September, on Oceania, Istanbul to Athens had the following really great itinerary:

Istanbul, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Rhodes, Delos/Mykonos, Santorini, Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu, Sarande, Dubrovnik, Athens. I particularly like spending time at each end of the cruise at great ports, and we archaeology/history people really enjoyed both Istanbul and Athens.

We used Princess two years ago on the Greek Isles from Venice to Rome, it was wonderful. Now we are going on NCL(never done them before) and doing several Greek Isles on this itinerary.

If you are intent on a cruise, then just pick an itinerary that you like in the price range that suits--there are lots of them.

But if you really want to see Greece, consider doing it on land. You can pick our 2 or 3 islands, or the mainland plus islands, and map out an itinerary that includes high speed ferries or flights between them. That way you will experience the real Greece--just avoid the really intensely touristy islands in high season.

I see that one of your ports was Debrovnik and we are trying to decide between two Greek Island cruises...One goes to Debrovnik and the other to Split, Croatia. I know nothing about either and would appreciate hearing about your experience there.

Another difference is that one goes to Mykonos and the other goes to Corfu. Did you go to those ports, and if so, what advice, feedback can you share?

I've enjoyed reading your posts and can't wait to book this trip! It will probably be on either the HAL Eurodam (10 day) or Westerdam (12 day). Thoughts????

Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...
We just returned from a Celebrity 12nt Med Cruise. All the suggestions that cc members had, made our trip FABULOUS. Our stops included Barcelona, Villefrance, Florence, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Dubrovnik and Venice. We had 2 days post cruise in Barcelona and 2 days post cruise in Venice. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Hopefully, I will be able to help others, the way everyone helped me.

Wondering if your tour in Athens was with a driver or did he go with you on the tour of the Acropolis and if he didn't did you have another tour guide for that or just see it on your own?

We just returned from a Celebrity 12nt Med Cruise. All the suggestions that cc members had, made our trip FABULOUS. Our stops included Barcelona, Villefrance, Florence, Rome, Naples, Santorini, Athens, Dubrovnik and Venice. We had 2 days post cruise in Barcelona and 2 days post cruise in Venice. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Hopefully, I will be able to help others, the way everyone helped me.

Wondering if your tour in Athens was with a driver or did he go with you on the tour of the Acropolis and if he didn't did you have another tour guide for that or just see it on your own?

St. Marks Square: St. Marks Basilica (go on-line and get a confirmed reservation. There isn't a charge, and you get to skip the line.....which can be very long), Bell Tower (you can take the elevator up to get a fabulous view of Venice), Do you happen to know the website for the St Mark's Basilica reservation?

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!!!!!

Linda

Re: the Secret Tour of Doge Palace.....you can book on-line (which I think that you must pre-pay). I called them directly to make a reservation. You don't pay until you arrive that morning. Call 011-39-041-52-09-070. The tour lasts approx. 1 hr, and the cost is 16euro per person. The fee also includes admission into the balance of the palace,

Have fun!!!!

Thanks for the phone #. some people have said it was soooo hot inside, was it hot when you were there. I was wondering if it would be bearable for me

Carrie

Princess has Barcelona-Venice in May. Most of the ships arrive in the Med in May. Hopefully Oceania goes in April, it's a beautiful line to travel with

• 4 weeks later...

Jlijny:

Looking for your advice on Dubrovnik. Is it easily doable on your own or do you recommend a tour?

In Villefrance, on two previous cruises, we took the train, once to Eze--wonderful village! and once to Monte Carlo. What did you do?

In Livorno, once we took ship's bus into Florence and once we took train. We've also been to Pisa, Siena and San Gimiganao, and we're considering going to San Gimig again, but unsure best method to get there. Did you do a tour. If so, was it beneficial?

Rome. Considering doing romeinlimo with 6 others. They come highly recommended. I'm sure there are other good drivers. Who did you use?

Naples: Have done pompeii twice, the amalfi coast, sorrento, capri, etc. Thinking of just walking to the hydrofoil and taking it somewhere along the Amalfi.

Appreciate your info on Venice.

Did you do anything special in Barcelona?

We are also stopping at Corfu, a port we haven't seen before soare considering a "taxi tour" although I believe we could also rent a car easily.

Thanks very much for all your diligence and great info.

My Mother and I are taking Royal Caribbean cruise out of Venice July 10.My concern at the moment is the Acropolis. We plan to get a private car/driver there in Athens and I really want to go to the Acropolis but my Mother is very worried that the steps/walking will be too much. She is 80 and I am not in great shape. How strenuous is the path and steps?Are there any handrails on the steps? Are they steep? Can we do it in sections and rest? I just don't want to miss that.

My Mother and I are taking Royal Caribbean cruise out of Venice July 10.My concern at the moment is the Acropolis. We plan to get a private car/driver there in Athens and I really want to go to the Acropolis but my Mother is very worried that the steps/walking will be too much. She is 80 and I am not in great shape. How strenuous is the path and steps?Are there any handrails on the steps? Are they steep? Can we do it in sections and rest? I just don't want to miss that.

If you go to this earlier thread on the Greece board, you will find more information that might help answer your question. Check:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1122971

THIS IS PART OF WHAT I POSTED:

Part of the distance/path up the hill is a more gentle slop and/or roadway as you go to the area where you get your tickets, hire private guides, etc. Then, it is a little more challenging, the stone steps can be a little slippery, etc. People have a habit of looking to see the famed buildings above and are not always watching where they are walking up the varied steps. It all can be done, but the Acropolis is what it is because of being a large hill or mountain top that towers over the terrain below it. It is a flat-topped rock that rises 490 ft above sea level within the city of Athens, with a surface area of about 3 hectares. The nearby Plaka is probably around 30-60 feet above sea level, so you get the idea of its height to go up.

The bigger question is about the condition of the persons trying to go up the hill. It might take a little patience and care. Is is worth it? I think it is super wonderful. Loved our visit there!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Well, I was thinking of doing Athens on my own, but after hearing about Pauls...may have to reconsider. Heading out in May on RCCL for 12 nights.... Going to Rhodes and Athens. Also going to Naples...any suggestions? We have a tour planned but were wondering whether we need a guide for Pompeii? Also, any good place to purchase wine in either spots?? Thanks!

Well, I was thinking of doing Athens on my own, but after hearing about Pauls...may have to reconsider. Heading out in May on RCCL for 12 nights.... Going to Rhodes and Athens. Also going to Naples...any suggestions? We have a tour planned but were wondering whether we need a guide for Pompeii? Also, any good place to purchase wine in either spots?? Thanks!

For Naples, my recommendation is SeeSorrento dot com. Marcello and his other guides are wonderful. I have recommended them frequently and will be using them for a second time

The only reason I recomm a guide for Pompeii, it is so enormous, you need someone to help you navigate the important things in your short time there. If you had all day, I'd say, DIY.

Linda

You should definitely try. I have a knee problem and took it very slowly and I will say it was well worth it. Just go slowly, take some bottle water with you also! Know you will love it, as I said WELL WORTH IT!!

Archived